Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 7,542
Reply with quote  #1 
There were a lot of people talking about this on the internet.  This is Part1 of several parts.  It releases the code and description of many of the CIAs best tools for cyberwar.  

This seems to be coming from a Snowden like leaker at CIA.  My assumption on these leaks is that they are actually tools and techniques that are probably more reflective of the CIAs best stuff 5 years ago.  

The really great bleeding edge tools will be saved for use against Russia Cyber Intelligence and Chinese Cyber Intelligence.  After they are no longer effective there, they will be repurposed down the list to be used against next level actors like NKorea, Iran, Syria, Cuba.  After a few years of that they are released to broader CIA for use against a broad range of targets.  I think it is this broad set of tools that are coming out in Vault 7. 

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

__________________
Who gives a F if the japs are listening to her blathering about women's issues?  
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,299
Reply with quote  #2 
and so what is your point on this?  are WikiLeaks heroes for releasing our cyber tools?
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,299
Reply with quote  #3 
Here's more from Fox:

WikiLeaks on Tuesday released what it said is the full hacking capacity of the CIA in a stunning 8,000-plus page disclosure the anti-secrecy website contends is “the largest ever publication of confidential documents on the agency.”

The 8,761 documents and files -- released as “Vault 7 Part 1” and titled “Year Zero” -- were obtained from an “isolated, high-security network” at the CIA’s Center for Cyber Intelligence in Langley, Va., a press release from the website said. The trove had been “circulated among former U.S. government hackers and contractors,” one of whom “recently” gave the archive to WikiLeaks.

“We do not comment on the authenticity or content of purported intelligence documents," a CIA spokesperson told Fox News.

The collection of purported intelligence tools includes information on CIA-developed malware -- bearing names such as “Assassin” and “Medusa” -- intended to target iPhones, Android phones, smart TVs and Microsoft, Mac and Linux operating systems, among others. An entire unit in the CIA is devoted to inventing programs to hack data from Apple products, according to WikiLeaks.

mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,299
Reply with quote  #4 
So, do you guys still think Assange is a hero and should be pardoned by trump? 

will be interesting to see if trump has anything to say.
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 7,542
Reply with quote  #5 
Currently this release seems net neutral.  No great win, no great harm.  

The immediate foreseen impact is persons that do not have reasonable security measure in place are susceptible to these tools being used. 

Longer term impact could start to get people to wake up to the speed and power of state controlled cyber weaponry.  It is important that people understand this world better.  When weapons like this come online, they can create desperate systems of power.  That can lead to bad outcomes.   As long as it is the US and it is used in reasonable fashions all can go well.  

It also serves as warning that we must be to careful with these weapon systems.  Like some nuclear technologies, super bug technologies or chemical technologies, we must make sure not to allow these into the wild, and control them very well.  

__________________
Who gives a F if the japs are listening to her blathering about women's issues?  
woody

Registered:
Posts: 9,029
Reply with quote  #6 
This isn't some great revelation to anyone that is vaguely aware of current technology. Other than giving names to certain eavesdropping and surveillance capabilities, who wasn't aware that the Federal Government was storing every bit of data that an individual entered into any electronic device? Who wasn't aware that any home security camera system, baby monitor, TV, cell phone, computer hard drive, or appliance could be exploited to monitor your every move? Even worse, lot's of tech savvy cyber crooks know how as well. Yes, I think it is a direct assault on the 4th amendment to monitor citizens, and store their data for future use against them when they get out of line and some alphabet agency feels the need to stomp on them. Yes, I think people should go to jail for violating their oath to defend the constitution. Put me on the list to bring the rope when the rest of the ignorant sheeple decide to rebel.
__________________
Rats flee from the sinking vessel. They traverse nimbly upon a rope, safely cleated to the dock, that is private enterprise. Socialism is dead, and tits up in the water. A bloated, death show, for rubberneckers of all classes to view.

"IT'S GOOD TO BE DA KING"
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,299
Reply with quote  #7 
Ok, so WikiLeaks releasing US national secrets is just fine.  Got it.
woody

Registered:
Posts: 9,029
Reply with quote  #8 
No, they didn't release anything that any other country's intelligence didn't already know. Well, maybe a few countries that have a collective IQ of 75 are ignorant of modern surveillance gathering techniques. In addition it probably would come as a surprise to my 85 year old Mother.
__________________
Rats flee from the sinking vessel. They traverse nimbly upon a rope, safely cleated to the dock, that is private enterprise. Socialism is dead, and tits up in the water. A bloated, death show, for rubberneckers of all classes to view.

"IT'S GOOD TO BE DA KING"
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,299
Reply with quote  #9 

From Microsoft.  The attack this past week was developed from the NSA stuff released by WikiLeaks:


Early Friday morning the world experienced the year’s latest cyberattack.

Starting first in the United Kingdom and Spain, the malicious “WannaCrypt” software quickly spread globally, blocking customers from their data unless they paid a ransom using Bitcoin. The WannaCrypt exploits used in the attack were drawn from the exploits stolen from the National Security Agency, or NSA, in the United States. That theft was publicly reported earlier this year. A month prior, on March 14, Microsoft had released a security update to patch this vulnerability and protect our customers. While this protected newer Windows systems and computers that had enabled Windows Update to apply this latest update, many computers remained unpatched globally. As a result, hospitals, businesses, governments, and computers at homes were affected.


Read more at https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2017/05/14/need-urgent-collective-action-keep-people-safe-online-lessons-last-weeks-cyberattack/#PU4jiJc0uzzUWK1c.99
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 7,542
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec

From Microsoft.  The attack this past week was developed from the NSA stuff released by WikiLeaks:


Early Friday morning the world experienced the year’s latest cyberattack.

Starting first in the United Kingdom and Spain, the malicious “WannaCrypt” software quickly spread globally, blocking customers from their data unless they paid a ransom using Bitcoin. The WannaCrypt exploits used in the attack were drawn from the exploits stolen from the National Security Agency, or NSA, in the United States. That theft was publicly reported earlier this year. A month prior, on March 14, Microsoft had released a security update to patch this vulnerability and protect our customers. While this protected newer Windows systems and computers that had enabled Windows Update to apply this latest update, many computers remained unpatched globally. As a result, hospitals, businesses, governments, and computers at homes were affected.


Read more at https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2017/05/14/need-urgent-collective-action-keep-people-safe-online-lessons-last-weeks-cyberattack/#PU4jiJc0uzzUWK1c.99

Microsoft is deflecting and crying.  Their software is miserably insecure, that is the root of the problem.

__________________
Who gives a F if the japs are listening to her blathering about women's issues?  
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,299
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwApoligist

Microsoft is deflecting and crying.  Their software is miserably insecure, that is the root of the problem.


agree on both counts, actually, but that doesn't mean the NSA leaks weren't harmful.
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 7,542
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec


agree on both counts, actually, but that doesn't mean the NSA leaks weren't harmful.

yep, NSA leaks made things worse.  But Microsoft looks like pieces of 5hit standing there pointing their fingers at NSA.  It was very likely other hackers would have eventually found those security flaws.  Microsoft should fix their crap.

__________________
Who gives a F if the japs are listening to her blathering about women's issues?  
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,299
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwApoligist

yep, NSA leaks made things worse.  But Microsoft looks like pieces of 5hit standing there pointing their fingers at NSA.  It was very likely other hackers would have eventually found those security flaws.  Microsoft should fix their crap.


I agree MS should fix their crap.

However, the NSA leaks were "harmless", mostly because trump fans think Assange is the Hand of the King.
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 7,542
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec


I agree MS should fix their crap.

However, the NSA leaks were "harmless", mostly because trump fans think Assange is the Hand of the King.

Nope: NSA leaks are harmless because NSA should keep 5hit it wants secret, secret.  NSA leaks are harmless because those hacks would have been found anyway, and we would be in the same boat. 

Assange is good as he outed the dems for being the lying a-holes we always knew them to be. 

Micorsoft sucks cause their 5hit is buggy as frick.  Ultimate bottom line.

__________________
Who gives a F if the japs are listening to her blathering about women's issues?  
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,299
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwApoligist

Nope: NSA leaks are harmless because NSA should keep 5hit it wants secret, secret.  NSA leaks are harmless because those hacks would have been found anyway, and we would be in the same boat. 

Assange is good as he outed the dems for being the lying a-holes we always knew them to be. 

Micorsoft sucks cause their 5hit is buggy as frick.  Ultimate bottom line.


can't get past the text in red.

In MS's defense, my phone is cool.  [eek]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.