Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
drivemyjeep

Registered:
Posts: 186
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_mom


Awww! I forgot for a moment that coaches call the pitches in college softball, as opposed to catchers in college baseball.


I see a lot of college baseball coaches calling the games these days actually.

I am curious to why you take the first base dugout, though. Short walk to coach third, your team/staff is right next to you at 3B, so it's easier to manage.

The sun/wind reasons are legit! Could be that!
Fresh

Registered:
Posts: 593
Reply with quote  #32 
Twice an inning you could voice your opinion of the job the home plate blue was doing as you strolled past. 
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 699
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
Twice an inning you could voice your opinion of the job the home plate blue was doing as you strolled past. 


Coach Allister carries a stop watch and times the pop to pop and checks the accuracy of the catchers throw down every inning as she walks by to the plate to the third base coaching box.  Not sure it has anything to do with it but she does it kind of on the sly.
mzonefan

Registered:
Posts: 303
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_mom


Excellent point. Minnesota does play more away games than home, due to the climate there. This disadvantages them in the B1G and NCAA tournaments. Despite that, they have been the best team from the B1G for years and will go to the WCWS this year.


Obviously they followed suit of the best team in the B1G for years which has occupied their first base dugout for at least the last 20 seasons if not longer. It must have been the Jessica Merchant influence. [wink]


PDad

Registered:
Posts: 3,359
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_mom
Excellent point. Minnesota does play more away games than home, due to the climate there. This disadvantages them in the B1G and NCAA tournaments. Despite that, they have been the best team from the B1G for years and will go to the WCWS this year.

Their weak strength of schedule disadvantages them, especially in super regionals. They need to play a stronger non-conference schedule to raise their RPI. 


PDad

Registered:
Posts: 3,359
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_mom
And before, they practiced in bad weather a smaller indoor dome; now they practice in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome!! They are the only college that can practice in a pro stadium, other than USC football, which plays in the Coliseum, home of the LA Rams.

Huh? The Metrodome was demolished 3 years ago.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/17/metrodome-demolition-reaches-completion-early/

3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 9,879
Reply with quote  #37 
Brutal call against Minnesota and Parlich to end the 1st. Pop-up slide to second is called interference on a throw to first
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,350
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Brutal call against Minnesota and Parlich to end the 1st. Pop-up slide to second is called interference on a throw to first


Maybe their dugout is on the 1st base side because they take right turns? [biggrin]
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 9,879
Reply with quote  #39 
Always love a good Gary Cooper Pride of the Yankees reference
fp_mom

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg


Coach Allister carries a stop watch and times the pop to pop and checks the accuracy of the catchers throw down every inning as she walks by to the plate to the third base coaching box.  Not sure it has anything to do with it but she does it kind of on the sly.


I wanted to email her last week to complain that her 2nd baseman blew a chance at a DP since she didn't shovel the pass with her glove to the SS covering 2nd, and the SS didn't catch the ball with her hand and throw it to 1st in one motion. But Jessica Allister has no email. Her twitter is long outdated.
TellintheTruth

Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #41 
MN uses the first base dugout because Coach A. wants us to remember that team is always first. She learned this from one of her early coaches. The team is always thinking about putting team above self. Putting team first. Its a reminder that the team is striving to be first class in everything they do. I think its kinda smart.
fp_mom

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDad

Huh? The Metrodome was demolished 3 years ago.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/17/metrodome-demolition-reaches-completion-early/



I found this tweet which showed the Gophers practicing at the Metrodome:

https://twitter.com/JessicaAllister/status/299145851652169728

[minn] 

I didn't realize it was from 2013.

I guess now they practice here in inclement weather. This must be a new structure. Not sure if it is taken down in the summer or left up.

http://bit.ly/2o5xphx

[minn-2]
fp_mom

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TellintheTruth
MN uses the first base dugout because Coach A. wants us to remember that team is always first. She learned this from one of her early coaches. The team is always thinking about putting team above self. Putting team first. Its a reminder that the team is striving to be first class in everything they do. I think its kinda smart.


Thank you! There is no "I" in"team"!
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #44 
Gopher baseball plays home games at US Bank Stadium in Feb and March.  Think it is crazy that Gopher softball does not.  Invite the SEC and Pac 12 to visit us.  
BigTenSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 75
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_mom


I wanted to email her last week to complain that her 2nd baseman blew a chance at a DP since she didn't shovel the pass with her glove to the SS covering 2nd, and the SS didn't catch the ball with her hand and throw it to 1st in one motion. But Jessica Allister has no email. Her twitter is long outdated.


You're joking, right?.....
fp_mom

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenSoftball


You're joking, right?.....


The play looked horrible on film and I almost died when I saw it. I was not sure if Allister caught it. Very un-Jeter-like. If I were the coach, the middle infielders would be practicing this a lot more. The play cost them an out. They still got away with it, but they won't against better competition.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 9,879
Reply with quote  #47 
Ok... looks like we have our latest performance artist on the boards...lol
BigTenSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 75
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_mom


The play looked horrible on film and I almost died when I saw it. I was not sure if Allister caught it. Very un-Jeter-like. If I were the coach, the middle infielders would be practicing this a lot more. The play cost them an out. They still got away with it, but they won't against better competition.


And you were going to email her to complain about it?? I bet she would love to hear from you....
BigTenCountry

Registered:
Posts: 326
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp
Gopher baseball plays home games at US Bank Stadium in Feb and March.  Think it is crazy that Gopher softball does not.  Invite the SEC and Pac 12 to visit us.  


They used to. There used to be a Metrodome Tournament every year the first or second weekend of the season. It drew a lot of SEC and Big XII teams, though I don't remember a PAC12 team coming. Alabama came every few years just to go to Mall of America in their down time :-)
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #50 
Well the Mall of America doesn't have Gucci or Neiman Marcus so that rules out most of the PAC12.  It does have a Hooters, though, so the SEC should be all in. 
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,350
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp
Well the Mall of America doesn't have Gucci or Neiman Marcus so that rules out most of the PAC12.  It does have a Hooters, though, so the SEC should be all in. 


That's a good one. Stereotyping much?
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,055
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


That's a good one. Stereotyping much?


Don't act like you aren't typing this reply while you are sitting in those big comfy chairs at Neiman Marcus, waiting for your wife or daughter to finish trying on clothes.


Just kidding. Just trying to get my post count up.

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 9,879
Reply with quote  #53 
[wink]
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,350
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogsDad
Don't act like you aren't typing this reply while you are sitting in those big comfy chairs at Neiman Marcus, waiting for your wife or daughter to finish trying on clothes. Just kidding. Just trying to get my post count up.


lol

+1   1290ish
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,350
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


That's a good one. Stereotyping much?


oh I forgot to say  eh? afterwards my bad. [biggrin]
CajunAmos

Registered:
Posts: 952
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenCountry


They used to. There used to be a Metrodome Tournament every year the first or second weekend of the season. It drew a lot of SEC and Big XII teams, though I don't remember a PAC12 team coming. Alabama came every few years just to go to Mall of America in their down time :-)


Pretty sure the Cajuns came for a three game series.
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,417
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmorMi
Majority of hitters are RH, being in first base dugout allows coaches in dugout to see things in a hitters swing (calling pitches, whether they are bunting, etc)


Not always the case. Many slappers are converted RH hitters. Washington starts 6 LH and 3 RH hitters.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 9,879
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa


Not always the case. Many slappers are converted RH hitters. Washington starts 6 LH and 3 RH hitters.
same at oregon
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,017
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp
Well the Mall of America doesn't have Gucci or Neiman Marcus so that rules out most of the PAC12.  It does have a Hooters, though, so the SEC should be all in. 



The Hooters comment would have been funnier if it was directed towards a men's team, silly, but seriously...do they have rednecks in Minnesota?
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,350
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



The Hooters comment would have been funnier if it was directed towards a men's team, silly, but seriously...do they have rednecks in Minnesota?


Yes they do. There's lot's of fishin in them lakes there, eh!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: