Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 3 of 12      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
BillSmith

Registered:
Posts: 6,581
Reply with quote  #61 
[d38] 
__________________
Sometimes you are the mole, sometimes the mushroom.
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #62 
I don't know the staff personally but do know many families with players on the team. All of them strongly dislike Torina and only play at LSU because they love the school, not because of her. 

The reality is Gorsuch is a horrible pitcher and we saw that last season between hitting every other batter and having zero control.

She is a bust, and then you bring in Sunseri who can't even pitch at DI level

Beth needs to go Juco route or something because we don't have anyone competent after Hoover and Walljasper.  

I am afraid this program will be a dumpster fire after both are gone. Offense obviously isn't elite. The defense is pretty bad for a Division I program. 

Beth needs to stop being lazy on the recruiting trail, its beginning to show. She can't even bring in a top ten class. 

Mark_H

Registered:
Posts: 748
Reply with quote  #63 
Seeing individual players criticized by name definitely grinds my gears. Having said that, perversely I suppose this is the price we pay for having softball elevated to the point people other than parents care and the top coaches actually make very good money.

As a mechanics guy, I would have been interested in reading a debate on Dobson's swing paradigm or the pitching coach's approach etc. I'll leave the team culture discussions to others. As to naming specific kids, I'd prefer to hear about the ones doing well and leave the criticism of the low performers out of it. Think about how you would feel if it was your kid being talked about.


__________________
Mark H
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 32
Reply with quote  #64 
Ripping on 18-19 yo kids is bad enough, but hiding behind an alias and doing it is just plain cowardly. 
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #65 
I really was hoping Dobson would get offered a job somewhere else this summer. I feel like e is holding LSU back


Most of LSU hitters have a very bad approach at the plate

Mechanically they are flawed in many ways and thats why you see decent pitching over power us on a consistent basis. 

LSU really needs a better hitting instructor. Dobson can't create an elite offense. The swing of most the hitters are very bad.

Beth needs to get rid of Dobson and find someone better. A lot of Dobsons approach lends itself for a lot of inconsistent results. A lot of hitters come into the LSU program and seem to progressively get worse and worse. 

No one on the LSU softball team can hit an outside pitch either. Half of them are positioned in the worst places in the batters box, they take themselves out before even pitched to
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,030
Reply with quote  #66 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz
I really was hoping Dobson would get offered a job somewhere else this summer. I feel like e is holding LSU back


Most of LSU hitters have a very bad approach at the plate

Mechanically they are flawed in many ways and thats why you see decent pitching over power us on a consistent basis. 

LSU really needs a better hitting instructor. Dobson can't create an elite offense. The swing of most the hitters are very bad.  if you say they are bad, how would you change them to be competitive in the SEC?

Beth needs to get rid of Dobson and find someone better. A lot of Dobsons approach lends itself for a lot of inconsistent results. A lot of hitters come into the LSU program and seem to progressively get worse and worse. 

No one on the LSU softball team can hit an outside pitch either. Where would you have them stand?Half of them are positioned in the worst places in the batters box, they take themselves out before even pitched to

__________________
Dewey on victims of sexual assault:  Both women later switched their stories.  Was there a reward or something else behind their change?  Who knows?
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,979
Reply with quote  #67 
LSU hitters are taught to get their weight to the front-side, then swing............They start out with their weight in-the-middle, then shift to the front-side.............

Good pitchers want to get the hitter's weight out over their front-side.............Advantage pitcher - big-time............

This is the basis of why LSU struggles with their bats............... 


Dobson has made videos with this teaching and he's invested in this theory...........He's not gonna change..........Torina doesn't know any better when it comes to swinging a bat.............


Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #68 
Torina needs to can Dobson


Although I did sense a lot of hostility this past season between the two


She was pissed off with the way LSU batters were performing, she literally ripped into one game and it was apparent to everyone in the stadium

He needs to change the philosophy or hit the road


I think leftwich also assists with the offense but apparently she is clueless, according to players
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,030
Reply with quote  #69 
Grindz - curios to know what you would do to change their hitting philosophies?  Where would you have them stand in the box?
__________________
Dewey on victims of sexual assault:  Both women later switched their stories.  Was there a reward or something else behind their change?  Who knows?
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #70 
I have watched many of the current D1 / P5 players in club ball over the last several years. I also know the LSU staff pretty well as they recruit quite a few of our players. One complaint I here from my associates and current and ex players is they have somewhat of a "one size fits all teaching approach to pitching and hitting." I do not agree with that. Never thought that worked because it stifles a players natural abilities and strengths and makes them too mechanical and conscious. Better to take what they do well and enhance.
LSU is a quality program and the staff is top notch.  Three straight WCWS. 

According to some people pretty close to the program one of the biggest problems with the current LSU team is the negative STAR (I use the term loosely) players and parents. 

As for Grindz, (star player P parent) you are a idiot. Shut up, sit down and try to survive your daughters senior season.

If you really have balls go up to one of the parents of the kids you are trashing here and introduce yourself and let them know what you have writing about them. I would pay money to see that.    

__________________
 
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #71 
I don't have any kids, I am just speaking the truth

There is some truth to what your post did say


They change way too much with what certain players are good at and then it handicaps them.  The teachings within the program seem to have a lot of negative effects on the players.

Its reality though, Dobson cannot fix this offense, as his philosophy doesn't work, nor does it improve players. Sure it works at times, but it causes a lot of inconsistency and is proven to be ineffective against decent pitching. It needs major changes, its not even a question at this point


Beth simply doesn't know how to recruit to a system, a system which really isn't one. Its like putting the wrong puzzle piece in over and over when it doesn't work.


Word going around is Beth is having much harder time recruiting now, the treatment of players in the program and the way its handled is starting to be recognized everywhere. Even the top players in the state are now looking else where for the next few classes.
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,030
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
Grindz - curios to know what you would do to change their hitting philosophies?  Where would you have them stand in the box?

__________________
Dewey on victims of sexual assault:  Both women later switched their stories.  Was there a reward or something else behind their change?  Who knows?
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #73 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz
I don't have any kids, I am just speaking the truth

There is some truth to what your post did say


They change way too much with what certain players are good at and then it handicaps them.  The teachings within the program seem to have a lot of negative effects on the players.

Its reality though, Dobson cannot fix this offense, as his philosophy doesn't work, nor does it improve players. Sure it works at times, but it causes a lot of inconsistency and is proven to be ineffective against decent pitching. It needs major changes, its not even a question at this point


Beth simply doesn't know how to recruit to a system, a system which really isn't one. Its like putting the wrong puzzle piece in over and over when it doesn't work.


Word going around is Beth is having much harder time recruiting now, the treatment of players in the program and the way its handled is starting to be recognized everywhere. Even the top players in the state are now looking else where for the next few classes.

__________________
 
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #74 
Grindz has no balls or cred


__________________
 
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #75 
Serrett crowds the plate a lot and is so far in she constantly jams herself

Griggs was a mile away far back and kept getting burned on outside pitches

I noticed Serrett backed up a little towards the end of the season, she did see more success

Late Griggs moved up whiched helped also, so yes they did make some adjustment but it should have been done much sooner


Griggs is much better swinging away but they need to work with her as well, she doesn't use her lower body or hips to drive the ball. She just swings with her arms and is a statue essentially while doing it

Some of the girls have almost a golf type swing, its really weird. Springfields is definitely the worst one. Its way too long and it needs to be shortened out. It usually ends up being big hit or a complete miss. Which is why she struck out every other at bat. 

Serrett has some ability but is wildly inconsistent 
dawgs

Registered:
Posts: 666
Reply with quote  #76 
   #71 
I don't have any kids, I am just speaking the truth

There is some truth to what your post did say


They change way too much with what certain players are good at and then it handicaps them.  The teachings within the program seem to have a lot of negative effects on the players.

Its reality though, Dobson cannot fix this offense, as his philosophy doesn't work, nor does it improve players. Sure it works at times, but it causes a lot of inconsistency and is proven to be ineffective against decent pitching. It needs major changes, its not even a question at this point


Beth simply doesn't know how to recruit to a system, a system which really isn't one. Its like putting the wrong puzzle piece in over and over when it doesn't work.


Word going around is Beth is having much harder time recruiting now, the treatment of players in the program and the way its handled is starting to be recognized everywhere. Even the top players in the state are now looking else where for the next few classes.



This is pretty amusing stuff.  IF, you're not a disgruntled parent; you're clearly no real fan of the program - certainly not a supporter.  And, IF what you're saying is somewhat accurate about kids and parents being unhappy; then it's folks like you that are making a difficult situation worse.  Getting kids to buy in these days to a program and what's good for the team instead what they think what's in their own best interest is a challenge.  Be careful what you ask for because IF Joe is even concerned one bit (which I highly doubt) about any of this you certainly could do way worse than Beth.  Unfortunately, the parents can be and are sometimes a part of the problem when DD isn't getting her way.  I understand that coaches aren't perfect and make mistakes, but when things aren't going someones way it's real easy to blame someone else.  You still haven't offered a philosophy or solution to the hitting shortcomings for the Tigers - just continue to say that Dobson isn't the answer.  I'm in no way defending Dobson, just curious what they need to do to improve offensively from your perspective.
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,030
Reply with quote  #77 
So it seems they do not make them all stand in a certain place - which would lead you to believe they allow the players to choose.
__________________
Dewey on victims of sexual assault:  Both women later switched their stories.  Was there a reward or something else behind their change?  Who knows?
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #78 
It seems like it

A lot of the batters are drowning and it seems like Dobson doesn't want to throw in the life jacket (assistance) 

They continue to do the same thing over and over, its like running into a brick wall. 

It was frustrating for all LSU fans to watch this season, the lack of adjustments in general.
parent

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #79 
Spicy thread...
Mark_H

Registered:
Posts: 748
Reply with quote  #80 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz
I really was hoping Dobson would get offered a job somewhere else this summer. I feel like e is holding LSU back
Being a Cajun fan I might feel a little differently [wink]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz
Most of LSU hitters have a very bad approach at the plate

Mechanically they are flawed in many ways and thats why you see decent pitching over power us on a consistent basis. 

LSU really needs a better hitting instructor. Dobson can't create an elite offense. The swing of most the hitters are very bad.

Beth needs to get rid of Dobson and find someone better. A lot of Dobsons approach lends itself for a lot of inconsistent results. A lot of hitters come into the LSU program and seem to progressively get worse and worse. 

No one on the LSU softball team can hit an outside pitch either. Half of them are positioned in the worst places in the batters box, they take themselves out before even pitched to


Can't say I've studied their hitters lately. Little while back when they had a good offense I was wondering what Dobson teaches so I recorded a TV game. Most of the lineup were, IIRC, left side versatile kids. I studied the full swing kids closely and found little if any commonality in their swings though each was effective. I guessed he must be focusing on mental approach. Then someone sent me some videos that shed some more light.

__________________
Mark H
Mark_H

Registered:
Posts: 748
Reply with quote  #81 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
LSU hitters are taught to get their weight to the front-side, then swing............They start out with their weight in-the-middle, then shift to the front-side.............

Good pitchers want to get the hitter's weight out over their front-side.............Advantage pitcher - big-time............

This is the basis of why LSU struggles with their bats............... 


Dobson has made videos with this teaching and he's invested in this theory...........He's not gonna change..........Torina doesn't know any better when it comes to swinging a bat.............




At one end of the scale you have Clemente who might be said by some to be out over his front foot. At the other end you have Bonds who barely unweighted the back side at all. You can see he did get off the back side by the rock back onto his back foot after the swing. A good swing needs at least a little forward shift. Certainly a large forward shift a la Clemente or some Dr. Dot swings I've seen can be a destabilizing disastrous mess. But clearly not always as proven by Clemente and Dr. Dot.

Occurs to me to add the hip should be rotating into foot plant. Is this what you refer to when you say getting to the front side before swinging, a lack of rotating the hips into foot plant? http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/analysis?p=10&n=1&m=20&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9

Or, without the stride. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/analysis?p=11&n=1&m=20&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9




__________________
Mark H
Mark_H

Registered:
Posts: 748
Reply with quote  #82 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor
I have watched many of the current D1 / P5 players in club ball over the last several years. I also know the LSU staff pretty well as they recruit quite a few of our players. One complaint I here from my associates and current and ex players is they have somewhat of a "one size fits all teaching approach to pitching and hitting." I do not agree with that. Never thought that worked because it stifles a players natural abilities and strengths and makes them too mechanical and conscious. Better to take what they do well and enhance. 
    


I've said for years a college coach shouldn't mess with their top six hitters. If you can coach up the subs or bottom of the order hitters to pass your top six, then maybe you have a clue and you can start coaching up the new 7 and below hitters to pass the new top six. If you can't, you probably shouldn't be messing with any of your hitters. Lotief, Glasco and few other college coaches excepted. Those few should mess with anyone they please.

__________________
Mark H
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #83 
Most of our hitters are mechanically flawed in many ways

Dobson doesn't like to adjust peoples swings it seems, he just lets them go do them but sometime you need to be hands on and change it when its not working. I do like the Cajuns systemic approach across the board with their hitters, all very similar foundation and its proven to work. Sure yall didn't get the outcome yall wanted but I am impressed with your hitters.

Springfield needs an overhaul, Serrett does as well, Griggs needs adjustments 

I don't even like our mental approach, we watch a lot of sweet pitches coming down the middle then hack at horrible pitches. No one can hit any outside pitches either. Most SEC teams kept throwing the same stuff at us continuously every game and we still looked lost with no prayer to be answered.

Some are just completely unsure of themselves, so they swing at anything. Amanda Doyle does this. I know she didn't face CWS caliber teams at the beginning of the year but with each game she became more and more unsure of herself and it just continually got worse. At one point she swung away at everything thrown. She swings at every first pitch under the sun and the coaches continued to allow it. It was infuriating to watch. They literally killed that girls confidence and ran her into the ground. 

There are videos out there but I still don't like the mechanics he teaches his hitters, its proven to be an inconsistent. 


Mark_H

Registered:
Posts: 748
Reply with quote  #84 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz


Some of the girls have almost a golf type swing,  


Could you expand on this? That's interesting.

__________________
Mark H
Mark_H

Registered:
Posts: 748
Reply with quote  #85 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz


Dobson doesn't like to adjust peoples swings it seems, he just lets them go do them but sometime you need to be hands on and change it when its not working. I do like the Cajuns systemic approach across the board with their hitters, all very similar foundation and its proven to work.




Certainly both approaches can work. Here's some of my still favorite Cajun swings. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/ullvsunt;jsessionid=8dowtiq3o1.cat_s
I'd buy a ticket to watch Gomez or Evans take BP.

__________________
Mark H
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #86 
On TD there is a recruiting thread about the future recruits or whatever. A few posters seem to know whats up between LSUAshlyn and Paintthecorner

They are both spot on about the disastrous state of the program. 

Whoever made the recruiting thread is full of it and is overhyping the players, I've seen a few of our commits and none are very good. 


LSUROY

Registered:
Posts: 229
Reply with quote  #87 
This guy needs to lay off the coaches and players. you don't know anything about the freshmen coming in and you sure don't know anything about Maribeth. I think Beth took this team to the college world series three straight year. why don't you go knock Auburn or somebody. lsu will be fine with out you.
LSUsoftballfan

Registered:
Posts: 411
Reply with quote  #88 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz
On TD there is a recruiting thread about the future recruits or whatever. A few posters seem to know whats up between LSUAshlyn and Paintthecorner

They are both spot on about the disastrous state of the program. 

Whoever made the recruiting thread is full of it and is overhyping the players, I've seen a few of our commits and none are very good. 




Yet the 2 posters referenced above were among the most guilty ones when it came to overhyping Dawson, to the point where it was sickening. Can't have it both ways, troll.

I hate that the dumbest of the LSU "fans" tend to be the most outspoken ones.  It is a bad look for all of us.

Disastrous state of the program? Go play in traffic.
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #89 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUROY
This guy needs to lay off the coaches and players. you don't know anything about the freshmen coming in and you sure don't know anything about Maribeth. I think Beth took this team to the college world series three straight year. why don't you go knock Auburn or somebody. lsu will be fine with out you.


The Sunseri seems to have talent but has many control problems, not sure if she can hit in college

Antoine benefited from playing average players in this state


Caccamise is a mystery, she seems to be good defensively

Goff has things to work on


As far as Maribeth, she has zero control of her pitches. She looked like a completely different girl here compared to HS and travel ball, maybe its from taking a ball to the face and being injured badly. Likely is the culprit but still waiting to see if she can even compete in the SEC
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,979
Reply with quote  #90 
Mark said............
Quote:
At one end of the scale you have Clemente who might be said by some to be out over his front foot.



Mark, one could argue that Clemente's weight ends-up in-the-middle at ball contact.............And, I'll be glad to make that argument............[smile]


[hqdefault]


To compare.......This is the cover of one of Dobson's videos............

[image]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.