Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 710
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Clare Hosack... in Georgia at supers I believe.... Fouled ball into her face

I guess the difference is that a batter knows the pitch is coming, but I am a little surprised that wasn't included. Agreed


Great point. I imagine even less batters are hit by their own foul ball than pitchers are hit by batted balls. 
ultsoftballparent

Registered:
Posts: 28
Reply with quote  #32 
Question for everyone- why do batters wear helmets?  The ball is coming in 70 mph at the most.  In high school about 55-60MPH  They should have plenty of time to move.
Softball bats have an exit speed rating around 100mph if they haven't been doctored or used alot.  Seems like the pitcher is at a greater disadvantage than the hitter.  
The only reason more major injuries do not occur is plane statistics not reaction time.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #33 
The reason you wear a helmet is that EVERY one of those pitches comes within 3 feet of a batter's head. Each one

And 70 to the temple could absolutely kill you.

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,916
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
The reason you wear a helmet is that EVERY one of those pitches comes within 3 feet of a batter's head. Each one

And 70 to the temple could absolutely kill you.

Sharpen up


Though I'm on your side on this one, you could just restate this as "why did we require the addition of the face-mask on a helmet?"  The issues that those face-masks solve is so few and far between, but still very present.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #35 
Person posited that helmets aren't needed. So that is the frame of my response.

Masks are the same idea, though
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 532
Reply with quote  #36 
<< Question for everyone- why do batters wear helmets?  The ball is coming in 70 mph at the most.  In high school about 55-60MPH  They should have plenty of time to move.
Softball bats have an exit speed rating around 100mph if they haven't been doctored or used alot.  Seems like the pitcher is at a greater disadvantage than the hitter.  
The only reason more major injuries do not occur is plane statistics not reaction time. >> (Ultsoftballparent)

<< The reason you wear a helmet is that EVERY one of those pitches comes within 3 feet of a batter's head. Each one
And 70 to the temple could absolutely kill you. >> (3LT)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AND... a pitcher hits a batter WAY WAY WAY more often... 
than a batted ball hits a pitcher.
cleareyesfullheart

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone




I would also argue, position players, mainly outfielders, run into each other resulting in injury more often than pitchers are getting hit with pitches. So, is the next step to start putting football type padding on outfielders??
 


No bubble wrap
BigTenSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 96
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic
You support seatbelt laws?


Nope!!
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
<< Question for everyone- why do batters wear helmets?  The ball is coming in 70 mph at the most.  In high school about 55-60MPH  They should have plenty of time to move.
Softball bats have an exit speed rating around 100mph if they haven't been doctored or used alot.  Seems like the pitcher is at a greater disadvantage than the hitter.  
The only reason more major injuries do not occur is plane statistics not reaction time. >> (Ultsoftballparent)

<< The reason you wear a helmet is that EVERY one of those pitches comes within 3 feet of a batter's head. Each one
And 70 to the temple could absolutely kill you. >> (3LT)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AND... a pitcher hits a batter WAY WAY WAY more often... 
than a batted ball hits a pitcher.
You DO get that THAT is what happens when every single pitch is within 3 feet of a batter, right?

Nice echo though
LandLottery

Registered:
Posts: 99
Reply with quote  #40 
I can remember one softball game in which I hit four line drives that hit off some part of the pitcher's body.  In no case did the pitcher have time to react.  I can't remember how many times I have hit line drives to first or third and have been out before I finished my swing.  That's dangerous.  A line shot at first or third that bounces right in front of the first or third baseman can take a  bad hop and hit someone right in the face.  The nose is cartilage, mostly.  Those bones are easily broken.  The orbit around the eye is rather easily broken.  A softball isn't quite a baseball.  But, I have been hit in the cheekbone by a fast ball from a fireballer.  You do lose your senses for a few moments.

I like this rule.
Drop_Curve

Registered:
Posts: 170
Reply with quote  #41 
I think it makes sense for high school players as not all players in high school should be playing their positions.
__________________
Jacob Thomas Adkins
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #42 
Great point, DC
Drop_Curve

Registered:
Posts: 170
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Great point, DC

I know in high school (at least from my state) some of the teams we played were just put together to compete and say they had a team. Other teams were strong and put together, but we played lots of sad ones. I was actually told multiple times to hit from the opposite side against weaker teams to avoid injuries to those weaker players on the corners. Saw a girl take one off the nose at first base when she had no business playing too far in without a mask. Talent isn't as strong in high school as it is travel ball (for some places)

__________________
Jacob Thomas Adkins
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Curve
I know in high school (at least from my state) some of the teams we played were just put together to compete and say they had a team. Other teams were strong and put together, but we played lots of sad ones. I was actually told multiple times to hit from the opposite side against weaker teams to avoid injuries to those weaker players on the corners. Saw a girl take one off the nose at first base when she had no business playing too far in without a mask. Talent isn't as strong in high school as it is travel ball (for some places)
Same situation in Florida
Drop_Curve

Registered:
Posts: 170
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Same situation in Florida

Our conference had some throw together teams in it, we didn't really play talent until post season.

__________________
Jacob Thomas Adkins
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,916
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Clare Hosack... in Georgia at supers I believe.... Fouled ball into her face

I guess the difference is that a batter knows the pitch is coming, but I am a little surprised that wasn't included. Agreed


In 2002 during the regional (pre super regionals), a Chattanooga player fouled a ball into her face. I remember to this day her turning and cussing out a group of fans that started laughing at her as blood dripped from her clearly broken nose.

**forgive me for the nostalgic post, I'm getting old.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,432
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
In 2002 during the regional (pre super regionals), a Chattanooga player fouled a ball into her face. I remember to this day her turning and cussing out a group of fans that started laughing at her as blood dripped from her clearly broken nose. **forgive me for the nostalgic post, I'm getting old.


I don't recall what year. but that's the same way the Baylor catcher got hurt in the regionals. broken facial bones and I think she came back to play later in the tournament

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,916
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


I don't recall what year. but that's the same way the Baylor catcher got hurt in the regionals. broken facial bones and I think she came back to play later in the tournament



Oh, thats crazy.  I didn't realize they were the same year.  Where was that regional?
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


Oh, thats crazy.  I didn't realize they were the same year.  Where was that regional?
Hosack was 2014 Supers in Athens
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 532
Reply with quote  #50 
<< Question for everyone- why do batters wear helmets?  The ball is coming in 70 mph at the most.  In high school about 55-60MPH  They should have plenty of time to move.
Softball bats have an exit speed rating around 100mph if they haven't been doctored or used alot.  Seems like the pitcher is at a greater disadvantage than the hitter.  
The only reason more major injuries do not occur is plane statistics not reaction time. >> (Ultsoftballparent)

<< The reason you wear a helmet is that EVERY one of those pitches comes within 3 feet of a batter's head. Each one
And 70 to the temple could absolutely kill you. >> (3LT)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AND... a pitcher hits a batter WAY WAY WAY more often... 
than a batted ball hits a pitcher. (me)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<< You DO get that THAT is what happens when every single pitch is within 3 feet of a batter, right?
Nice echo though >> (3LT)

*************************************************

You do get that what you wrote - and what I wrote ARE NOT THE SAME THING.
And why you would waste the time to write such a post in response to my one sentence - is beyond my understanding.

When the question is... 
Why are batters required to wear helmets - while pitchers are not required to wear face masks..?
Then I believe my specific answer is the best one available.

Batters get hit by pitched balls WAY WAY WAY more often than pitchers get hit by batted balls.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #51 
When someone denotes that 250 thrown balls are within 3 feet of a batter per game, coming in and denoting that hitters get hit more often than pitchers do...

That, is major Captain Obvious product, and an echo post

HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 532
Reply with quote  #52 
<< I can remember one softball game in which I hit four line drives that hit off some part of the pitcher's body.  In no case did the pitcher have time to react.  I can't remember how many times I have hit line drives to first or third and have been out before I finished my swing.  That's dangerous.  A line shot at first or third that bounces right in front of the first or third baseman can take a  bad hop and hit someone right in the face. >> (LandLottery)

Here is my story about a line shot gb hit right in front of a third baseman...
I was blessed with good speed, great quickness, tremendous eye-hand coordination and a great arm. I was the starting SS for my high school team as a freshman (and also pitched). I loved to field ground balls and took thousands of them - for fun. In college I started my freshman season at third base - mostly because there were returning senior players at shortstop and second base. About ten days into the season - the opposing team had a runner on first base with one out - and I was thinking double play ball before the pitch. The batter hit a line shot that landed in that "in between" hop area - that is the toughest one to handle. In regard to this particular type of ground ball - I had been taught to keep your glove down (don't let the ball get under your glove) and react to the hop as your eyes see it. If the ball comes up - your reflexes will bring your glove up to the ball (if not, then hopefully your body will block the ball - and you can still get the out).

This time the ball took a wicked hop and it jumped up much higher than anyone could reasonably anticipate. My reflexes were trying to bring my glove up to intercept the flight path of this high hop... but that is the last thing I remember about that particular ground ball.

The next thing I remember... is waking up on my back, looking up at about four people standing over me. The ball had hit me squarely in the forehead - and knocked me out cold. I was removed from the game - and when I looked at myself in a mirror I could see part of the word "Rawlings" tattooed on my forehead where the ball had hit me. I almost surely had a concussion... but I was back playing the next day. 

Memories...
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 277
Reply with quote  #53 
This happened in MLB over the weekend.  Dude fouled a ball off his cheek and has facial fractures.

 A few years ago a Pirates pitcher fouled a ball off his face in BP and got injured.
Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 100
Reply with quote  #54 
I'll throw a couple of quick hitters out there...

1) why are you seeing ore major league hitters with the he wrap around helmet ala Jason heyward? More are putting them on the helmet

2) Masks at the corner by all means is a great move. Think about NASCAR-if they didn't mandate the HANS device, a lot wouldn't use it. Sometimes others have to keep the best interest of the athlete in mind because they won't get out of their own way.

3) I love it when people talk statistics because they really don't understand them. The question is not is there a statistical probability that someone will be injured being hit by a batted ball because with the number of pitches thrown in any year it would produce a result saying no, but using a t-test and looking to see if there is any change in the number of injuries from years past I bet you might see a difference.

Just some thoughts.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball_rules5
3) I love it when people talk statistics because they really don't understand them. The question is not is there a statistical probability that someone will be injured being hit by a batted ball because with the number of pitches thrown in any year it would produce a result saying no, but using a t-test and looking to see if there is any change in the number of injuries from years past I bet you might see a difference. Just some thoughts.

Help me out with further explanation of that one

Maybe it is the marathon run-on sentence. Maybe it is 30 years of alcohol intake. Maybe my glasses don't work so well anymore.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 532
Reply with quote  #56 
<< When someone denotes that 250 thrown balls are within 3 feet of a batter per game, coming in and denoting that hitters get hit more often than pitchers do...
That, is major Captain Obvious product, and an echo post >> (3LT)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last time I checked... an echo repeats the exact same thing each time you hear it.
There isn't any new or different information in an echo.

Your post made it crystal clear WHY a batter needs to be wearing a helmet (all those pitches in the general vicinity of a head makes it a seriously dangerous matter). But... you did not specifically make the point that a batted ball hits a pitcher WAY less often. 
I guess one could reasonably reach that conclusion from your post...
but my statement just cut right to the heart of the matter much more directly.

What I find hard to understand - is why my post bothered you at all. 
It basically jumps directly off of your point - to put the entire matter into a simpler more concise statement.
I'd have thought - if anything - you would have just simply agreed. 

These are the two original posts listed below...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<< The reason you wear a helmet is that EVERY one of those pitches comes within 3 feet of a batter's head. Each one

And 70 to the temple could absolutely kill you. >> (3LT)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AND... a pitcher hits a batter WAY WAY WAY more often... 
than a batted ball hits a pitcher. (me)
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 710
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball_rules5
I'll throw a couple of quick hitters out there... 1) why are you seeing ore major league hitters with the he wrap around helmet ala Jason heyward? More are putting them on the helmet 2) Masks at the corner by all means is a great move. Think about NASCAR-if they didn't mandate the HANS device, a lot wouldn't use it. Sometimes others have to keep the best interest of the athlete in mind because they won't get out of their own way. 3) I love it when people talk statistics because they really don't understand them. The question is not is there a statistical probability that someone will be injured being hit by a batted ball because with the number of pitches thrown in any year it would produce a result saying no, but using a t-test and looking to see if there is any change in the number of injuries from years past I bet you might see a difference. Just some thoughts.


Of course there would be a change in numbers. The data for the conclusion would be different which would necessarily produce a different result. Sounds like you want to skew the testing methodology to reach your own conclusion...

Using that method, the data is different which may show a different percentage but, most likely be within year to year parameters...

I can understand statistics reasonably well but, unless you show me consistent data parameters year to year, the results could be skewed any way you want them to read.

So why aren't you satisfied with your initial conclusion that the data would produce a result saying no? 


SkiUMahGopher

Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch
Kentucky has been behind in the softball development for years. They were one of the last to move from slowpitch HS ball to fastpitch. And allowing 6 years of HS eligibility is ridiculous. Just asking for problems or having to mandate rules like this to avoid problems.


Minnesota has always had 6 years of eligiblity. There have been 6 time wrestling champions in Minnesota. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: