Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 74
Reply with quote  #1 
https://mobile.twitter.com/NFCAorg/status/887402026279346178
(Basically Kentucky made it mandatory for pitchers,1st and 3rd base to wear face masks
noochie67

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballjunkie223
https://mobile.twitter.com/NFCAorg/status/887402026279346178 (Basically Kentucky made it mandatory for pitchers,1st and 3rd base to wear face masks


Love it.  No need to lose a player to an unnecessary injury.  Players careers are shortened because of this issue.  I've seen too many 3rd baseman and pitchers get hit in the face and are never the same.  
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,834
Reply with quote  #3 
Cannot hurt
ultsoftballparent

Registered:
Posts: 25
Reply with quote  #4 
Great Rule!!!  All state and associations should adopt it!!  Why take the chance?

Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 74
Reply with quote  #5 
I am in agreement
I don't think I'll forget the pitcher from Missouri getting hit in the face at the 2015 supers. Vs ucla
noochie67

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballjunkie223
I am in agreement I don't think I'll forget the pitcher from Missouri getting hit in the face at the 2015 supers. Vs ucla


Absolutely, Tori Finucane.  I remember it like yesterday, then the following year, Paige Lowary was hit in the face.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #7 
My kids a pitcher. But where does it stop? The percentages of kids getting hit AND getting hurt are so low as to almost be invisible. Don't like the overreach by the State in taking decisions out of individual hands. 

Another example of the Gov't telling you they know better than you. 

This is a PI Attorney's dream. HEADLINE: High School Pitcher in KY, wearing a State mandated mask, is hit by line drive suffering a lacerated ear, concussion & other contusions. Family attorney plans on suing local School Board, Mask/Equipment Maker & young lady on opposing team who was batting at time of injury.

Another stupid decision made without any forward thinking. 
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,025
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
My kids a pitcher. But where does it stop? The percentages of kids getting hit AND getting hurt are so low as to almost be invisible. Don't like the overreach by the State in taking decisions out of individual hands. 

Another example of the Gov't telling you they know better than you. 

This is a PI Attorney's dream. HEADLINE: High School Pitcher in KY, wearing a State mandated mask, is hit by line drive suffering a lacerated ear, concussion & other contusions. Family attorney plans on suing local School Board, Mask/Equipment Maker & young lady on opposing team who was batting at time of injury.

Another stupid decision made without any forward thinking. 


That's a very "I tried really hard to look for the negative" reply.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,430
Reply with quote  #9 
I don't agree with the mandatory rule. but I don't think it should be discouraged if the player wants to wear one.

BlueSky

Registered:
Posts: 545
Reply with quote  #10 
No player at any level should be discriminated against for wearing a mask. IMO, masks should not be a mandate but rather a player choice.

On another note, I laughed my butt off about 4 years ago when I showed up to my kid's 12U game and the opponent's coach had everyone wearing masks. Yes, all 3 outfielders.

__________________
 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky
No player at any level should be discriminated against for wearing a mask. IMO, masks should not be a mandate but rather a player choice.

On another note, I laughed my butt off about 4 years ago when I showed up to my kid's 12U game and the opponent's coach had everyone wearing masks. Yes, all 3 outfielders.


I can do one better...did you see UGAs infield beginning of this past season?
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
That's a very "I tried really hard to look for the negative" reply.


Not really. Just looks to be a knee jerk reaction most likely driven by the same parents who want soccer players to wear helmets. Ironically, most of these parents don't even have kids playing sports.

And everybody knows what the upsides are. I'm all for safety but, I'm more for freedom of choices.
barkbox

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #13 
I agree face masks are warranted.  Tori Finucan who played just last season with the Gophers at Minnesota wears one now after the event that shocked us all with Mizzou.  Great idea to wear them - no matter what.  The pitchers reaction is simply not that quick with a line drive!!!!
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #14 
I'm in Kentucky and think this is a good rule.  The level of play is uneven.  There was a highly publicized incident this spring where a pitcher was hit by a line drive and had significant damage to her face.  The team she was playing was Kaylee Tow's team that has several D1 players on it (I don't know who hit the ball).  Not only do you routinely have 7th and 8th graders on the same field as seniors in Kentucky, but you've got kids who have rec skill level all the way up to P5 signees.  My daughter hit a ball at 3B last year that likely would have done significant damage  if it had been about 2 inches to the right because the 3B's reflexes were so slow that she didn't throw her glove up until the ball had wizzed past her ear.  I've also seen a 7th grader's mask blown to bits by a line drive to 3B in middle school, too.  There's just no reason to take a chance.  Especially since, for the kids who are going to play at the next level, the stigma against wearing masks seems to be going away (slowly).

Personally, I don't see the danger at 1B the way I see it at 3B or Pitcher, but I understand the general concern about the "corners."
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkbox
I agree face masks are warranted.  Tori Finucan who played just last season with the Gophers at Minnesota wears one now after the event that shocked us all with Mizzou.  Great idea to wear them - no matter what.  The pitchers reaction is simply not that quick with a line drive!!!!


Being Devils Advocate, what does "no matter what" entail? And I disagree the pitchers reaction is not quick enough. I would argue most college pitchers have some of the quickest hands/reaction times of any player on the field....ie: the main reason they aren't hit more often. 

I would also argue, position players, mainly outfielders, run into each other resulting in injury more often than pitchers are getting hit with pitches. So, is the next step to start putting football type padding on outfielders??

And the only reason people might have been "shocked" when Finucan was hit is because we just don't see it that much. Also, Funican will be just fine as I'm pretty sure she graduated. 

You also state face masks are warranted. Ok. But why is not Ok for the parents/players be the one to make this "warranted" decision? 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
I'm in Kentucky and think this is a good rule.  The level of play is uneven.  There was a highly publicized incident this spring where a pitcher was hit by a line drive and had significant damage to her face.  The team she was playing was Kaylee Tow's team that has several D1 players on it (I don't know who hit the ball).  Not only do you routinely have 7th and 8th graders on the same field as seniors in Kentucky, but you've got kids who have rec skill level all the way up to P5 signees.  My daughter hit a ball at 3B last year that likely would have done significant damage  if it had been about 2 inches to the right because the 3B's reflexes were so slow that she didn't throw her glove up until the ball had wizzed past her ear.  I've also seen a 7th grader's mask blown to bits by a line drive to 3B in middle school, too.  There's just no reason to take a chance.  Especially since, for the kids who are going to play at the next level, the stigma against wearing masks seems to be going away (slowly).

Personally, I don't see the danger at 1B the way I see it at 3B or Pitcher, but I understand the general concern about the "corners."


Now this brings up an interesting dynamic. And I agree with you PH2 in this situation. Maybe some sort of age cutoff, grade level type deal could be worked out. Especially in the lower level contests...understandable. At the college level this decision should be left to the player alone.

Great post
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 531
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Being Devils Advocate, what does "no matter what" entail? And I disagree the pitchers reaction is not quick enough. I would argue most college pitchers have some of the quickest hands/reaction times of any player on the field....ie: the main reason they aren't hit more often. 

I would also argue, position players, mainly outfielders, run into each other resulting in injury more often than pitchers are getting hit with pitches. So, is the next step to start putting football type padding on outfielders??

And the only reason people might have been "shocked" when Finucan was hit is because we just don't see it that much. Also, Funican will be just fine as I'm pretty sure she graduated. 

You also state face masks are warranted. Ok. But why is not Ok for the parents/players be the one to make this "warranted" decision? 


You support seatbelt laws?
ultsoftballparent

Registered:
Posts: 25
Reply with quote  #18 
As for Pitchers do have enough time due to quick hands.  Please do the math!!!  They do not have time according to the numbers.  By the way this same math allowed us to reach the moon safely!!!  It is not wrong!!!
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Now this brings up an interesting dynamic. And I agree with you PH2 in this situation. Maybe some sort of age cutoff, grade level type deal could be worked out. Especially in the lower level contests...understandable. At the college level this decision should be left to the player alone.

Great post


Agreed on college level.

It was only 3 years ago that Kentucky implemented a rule prohibiting kids who were not enrolled in 7th grade or higher from playing at the varsity/JV level.  Before that rule, you had some rural or low-headcount schools (especially areas with no middle schools teams) who had 5th graders playing varsity softball, which is ridiculous.  

8th graders at the high school level are pretty common.  We pull up nearly every good 8th grader to play JV for experience, though some are good enough to play right away for the varsity team.  There was a good team from 2016 (won their region and went to State) who graduated 6 or 7 starters and this past spring started three 7th graders on their varsity team.  I get that people are put off by the state mandating it, but it's a good rule for the way high school ball is played here.
Tomahawk

Registered:
Posts: 21
Reply with quote  #20 
It's great to give the players all the safety advantages possible, but mandatory is a touch too much.  I'm all for saving faces, especially ones with thousands of dollars of dental work, but I've had players that hated the masks but had to wear them for their travel teams.  At least, they could give those players an "opt-out" waiver.  This is great news for the mask companies - buy your stock now!
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,834
Reply with quote  #21 
I feel this is akin to seatbelt laws.

Not asking too much

Not saying there is the frequency of car accidents, but it happens... enough.... with grievous ramifications to be worth the simple move IMO
ultsoftballparent

Registered:
Posts: 25
Reply with quote  #22 
Hopefully the mask companies will start to compete and actually come up with better designs.  Seems like bat manufacturers continue to innovate.  
onthecorner

Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #23 
I think it is a good idea. I have seen players hit in the face by line drives and bad hops many times. That is one of the main reasons I like the mask rule is the bad hops. Cant react to those. Just ask the 3rd baseman that played for Georgia a couple years ago that lost 3-4 teeth and missed 5 weeks of the season. Softball is temporary but your teeth and facial structure are forever. Should be mandatory for pitchers and infielders IMO.  
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 3,831
Reply with quote  #24 
Excited to see the reply on this one. And the analogy of outfielders running into each other vs. a line drive to the face from 40 feet is awesome. Seems like its often a pitchers dad who argues against the mask. Fascinating.





ChinMusic 

Registered:10/08/13
Posts: 513
   #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Being Devils Advocate, what does "no matter what" entail? And I disagree the pitchers reaction is not quick enough. I would argue most college pitchers have some of the quickest hands/reaction times of any player on the field....ie: the main reason they aren't hit more often. 

I would also argue, position players, mainly outfielders, run into each other resulting in injury more often than pitchers are getting hit with pitches. So, is the next step to start putting football type padding on outfielders??

And the only reason people might have been "shocked" when Finucan was hit is because we just don't see it that much. Also, Funican will be just fine as I'm pretty sure she graduated. 

You also state face masks are warranted. Ok. But why is not Ok for the parents/players be the one to make this "warranted" decision? 


You support seatbelt laws?

__________________
"It was a well worn path that has found a new wanderer."
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,430
Reply with quote  #25 
while we're talking masks    what about masks on batters?

Baylor catcher in the WCWS ring a bell?
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,834
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal
while we're talking masks    what about masks on batters?

Baylor catcher in the WCWS ring a bell?
Clare Hosack... in Georgia at supers I believe.... Fouled ball into her face

I guess the difference is that a batter knows the pitch is coming, but I am a little surprised that wasn't included. Agreed
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #27 
I believe that's already mandated in Kentucky.  I've never seen a batter without a facemask and I know umps check equipment before games.  I assume that's one of the requirements.
Stretch

Registered:
Posts: 89
Reply with quote  #28 
Kentucky has been behind in the softball development for years. They were one of the last to move from slowpitch HS ball to fastpitch. And allowing 6 years of HS eligibility is ridiculous. Just asking for problems or having to mandate rules like this to avoid problems.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,834
Reply with quote  #29 
Florida allows six years eligibility for private schools that go 7-12
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultsoftballparent
As for Pitchers do have enough time due to quick hands.  Please do the math!!!  They do not have time according to the numbers.  By the way this same math allowed us to reach the moon safely!!!  It is not wrong!!!


I'm no mathematician but according to you they don't have the necessary reaction time. Ok, for the sake of this debate can you offer up the numbers?? Somebody could probably ball park it. 

All D1 games in 2017
total number of pitches (an avg would do) thrown in each game.
total number of batted balls.
total number of pitchers hit by batted balls.

I speculate the number is so small for 3 reasons: # pitches; batted balls which are not hit in the direction of the pitcher; # balls hit @ pitcher avoided BECAUSE of capable reaction time. 

To reiterate, I'm advocating only the CHOICE be made by the players/parents etc...not by some governing body. Objectively speaking, any injury avoided because of a mask is absolutely a good thing.


Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: