Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 13      1   2   3   4   Next   »
NorthBall

Registered:
Posts: 294
Reply with quote  #1 
who do you think will win the national championship series? My prediction is 2-0 Washington. Plain and Alvelo are on fire. 
MOJOERASER

Registered:
Posts: 362
Reply with quote  #2 
Washington sure payed great this weekend and beat OU but they scare me because they don’t get a lot of runs. If FSU can hit like they did in the last game I think they have a shot. I think Washington is playing great team ball and have two good pitchers to win a series . 2-1 Washington but I would love to see FSU win and the pac-12 add another year to not winning a title.
gatordawg

Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #3 
FSU wins in three! They are firecracker hot and have nothing to lose. They're pitching in on par with Washingtons' if not better. This from a 60 yr. Gator fan. Should be some great softball!!
__________________
Gregory A. Langley
Lauren

Registered:
Posts: 137
Reply with quote  #4 
I’m thinking Washington. Every team has struggled to score against them post season. They’ve had 4/5 runs against them entire tournament?

FSU has that scored against them last game.

Then the Washington bats are on fire right now and I think it could get very nasty for FAU. Especially if they hit King.
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 441
Reply with quote  #5 
Watch out for Washington, i'm pulling for FSU, but Washington has not lost to anybody since April 29 when they lost to Oregon. They have not lost in the postseason, and more importantly has not dropped a game to anybody outside of the Pac-12.

FSU has not lost to anybody twice this season.

Lets see which story holds.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 538
Reply with quote  #6 
My gut says FSU based off how they are clicking right now, they have done a phenomenal job this season making the correct adjustments

It should be a great series though
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 3,194
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJOERASER
Washington sure payed great this weekend and beat OU but they scare me because they don’t get a lot of runs.


Well, going up against Parker (.87 era), Lowary (1.04), Elish (1.07), Kleist (1.16) had something to do with it.
Lauren

Registered:
Posts: 137
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa


Well, going up against Parker (.87 era), Lowary (1.04), Elish (1.07), Kleist (1.16) had something to do with it.


If anything that shows how well they’re batting.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,702
Reply with quote  #9 
Very happy FSU will not forever be like their baseball counterparts.[biggrin]  What a tremendously likable program indeed. 
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 964
Reply with quote  #10 
If you shut out the other guy, you don't have to score many runs.
The Huskies have not scored a lot, but they have allowed practically nothing.

I think this championship is going to be great because regardless of who wins, it will not be anything close to a repeat of the past several years.
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 714
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordawg
FSU wins in three! They are firecracker hot and have nothing to lose. They're pitching in on par with Washingtons' if not better. This from a 60 yr. Gator fan. Should be some great softball!!


Their pitching is not on par with Washington's. They've hit great in the series, no doubt, but against top 25 rpi all year the have a 2.04 era in 134 ip. WA 1.35 era in 157ip. If you look at just the WCWS FSU is at 2.2 era, WA is at .667 era.
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 714
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
I’m thinking Washington. Every team has struggled to score against them post season. They’ve had 4/5 runs against them entire tournament?

FSU has that scored against them last game.

Then the Washington bats are on fire right now and I think it could get very nasty for FAU. Especially if they hit King.


Washington actually has allowed only 2 runs the entire tournament so far, both to Oregon.

Usually stellar pitching beats good hitting, and Plain and Alvelo have been great in the series. WA in 2.
Scupino

Registered:
Posts: 434
Reply with quote  #13 
Was told that ESPN Australia in Sydney will carry the WCWS final games.
Lauren

Registered:
Posts: 137
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Washington actually has allowed only 2 runs the entire tournament so far, both to Oregon.

Usually stellar pitching beats good hitting, and Plain and Alvelo have been great in the series. WA in 2.


I meant the whole post season tournament. Bama scores 2? Can’t think of any others

ESPN Aus will generally put it on anyways. Sadly I’m at work. Will have to watch the box scores! (And find the game to rewartch when home)
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 714
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren


I meant the whole post season tournament. Bama scores 2? Can’t think of any others

ESPN Aus will generally put it on anyways. Sadly I’m at work. Will have to watch the box scores! (And find the game to rewartch when home)


Are you allowed to access watchespn.com or use the watchespn app in AUS? If so the games are archived there under the replay section for a few days.

WA gave up 7 runs (5 earned) in 56ip in the ncaa tournament so far (.625 era). 1 TX, 2 MN, 2 AL, 2 OR.
Scupino

Registered:
Posts: 434
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren


I meant the whole post season tournament. Bama scores 2? Can’t think of any others

ESPN Aus will generally put it on anyways. Sadly I’m at work. Will have to watch the box scores! (And find the game to rewartch when home)


6pm Monday OKC is 9am Tuesday in Sydney.
Tie me kangaroo down sport
Lauren

Registered:
Posts: 137
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Are you allowed to access watchespn.com or use the watchespn app in AUS? If so the games are archived there under the replay section for a few days.

WA gave up 7 runs (5 earned) in 56ip in the ncaa tournament so far (.625 era). 1 TX, 2 MN, 2 AL, 2 OR.


Yeah. As we’ve been hit and miss with being on ESPN Australia I’ve had to watch it on there. Wouldn’t wrk on my computer (kept buffering) but hopefully replays will be better. I know full games are up on YouTube now as well
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,936
Reply with quote  #18 
If I had to pick who I would like to see win this championship I would say Florida State.

Who do I actually think will win? Washington....and I would be just as ok with that.

Washington has played on another level. FSU has bulldozed their way through elimination and seeing that they’ve gotten this far, all of that energy may propel them past Washington. Pretty even pitching staffs, balanced offenses. This will be a fun one to watch!

Since 2013 it’s been either Oklahoma or Florida, and it’s def time for some fresh faces to win this thing!
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 626
Reply with quote  #19 
Yeah I'm just glad it's somebody different.  Wish there were a few more instances of mid-majors popping up here and there at the end like in college baseball, but this is about the best we can hope for at present.
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 930
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
Yeah I'm just glad it's somebody different.  Wish there were a few more instances of mid-majors popping up here and there at the end like in college baseball, but this is about the best we can hope for at present.


Yes, unlike baseball, I don't think we are going to see Stetson, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina and Minnesota host a regional anytime soon. 

Really like both teams and I have no clue who will win.  Would love a three game series.   
CajunAmos

Registered:
Posts: 1,163
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


Yes, unlike baseball, I don't think we are going to see Stetson, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina and Minnesota host a regional anytime soon. 

Really like both teams and I have no clue who will win.  Would love a three game series.   


Are you counting the Cajuns as a mid-major?
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 626
Reply with quote  #22 
Yes, they are.  One of the few, especially since they were able to sustain it.
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,175
Reply with quote  #23 
Washington is a pretty heavy betting favorite at -210.
NCexile

Registered:
Posts: 717
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


Yes, unlike baseball, I don't think we are going to see Stetson, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina and Minnesota host a regional anytime soon. 

Really like both teams and I have no clue who will win.  Would love a three game series.   


College baseball is completely different than softball.  The best players in the world play D1 softball.  They stay for four years and want to go to high profile schools.  College baseball is populated by players who are not the world's best.  Those guys sign out of HS. For those who don't the better ones exit college after three academic years.  In short, relatively speaking, college softball is played on much higher level than baseball. Coastal Carolina will never win in OKC like it did in Omaha.  Yes, Louisiana is an outlier but I wouldn't hold my breath until they win a national championship.
devilsadvocate

Registered:
Posts: 104
Reply with quote  #25 
I think Washington wins.  FSU will need to play good defense.  They have had a couple shaky moments on short game, compared to Washington's play making ability.

However, I have been impressed with King for FSU.  She has had an outstanding tournament, and obviously they need her to be great again in this series.  

Defense: Washington

Hitting:  FSU (but close for both; 5 games to 3 games in series, UW has seen a lefty twice so should help going into tonight)

Pitching:  Washington - staff more fresh and plain is tough to get extra base hits on.


 
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 626
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCexile


College baseball is completely different than softball.  The best players in the world play D1 softball.  They stay for four years and want to go to high profile schools.  College baseball is populated by players who are not the world's best.  Those guys sign out of HS. For those who don't the better ones exit college after three academic years.  In short, relatively speaking, college softball is played on much higher level than baseball. Coastal Carolina will never win in OKC like it did in Omaha.  Yes, Louisiana is an outlier but I wouldn't hold my breath until they win a national championship.


I know why it is, I'm just lamenting the fact that it is so, and that any smaller schools making a run - even on a "stars aligned this year"-type scenario - are few and far between.
USC14

Registered:
Posts: 228
Reply with quote  #27 
Anybody still feel a little bad for Pittsburgh? They had to beat the eventual national champion or runner up to get into the tournament, and came up just 1 out short.
CajunAmos

Registered:
Posts: 1,163
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2


I know why it is, I'm just lamenting the fact that it is so, and that any smaller schools making a run - even on a "stars aligned this year"-type scenario - are few and far between.


I'm hoping our "national" recruiting will increase with the added funding for the program and the hiring of Coach Glasco. From early returns, the 2020/21/22 classes might show some of that growth. I don't want to lose our local flavor, but expanding our reach would help us to become more competitive when we get to the tournament.
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 6,605
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Washington is a pretty heavy betting favorite at -210.



Woulda been nice to get in on them when they started at +170, eh?

__________________

"What questions are not getting answered.  The only ones I see being avoided is "Why you switch from Dewey to Will I Wynn?"  and  "Why you switch from Bama_CF to Fresh?" and of course the best one that will never get answered, never in a million years... "When you bringing back KPI?"

Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 3,194
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren


I meant the whole post season tournament. Bama scores 2? Can’t think of any others

ESPN Aus will generally put it on anyways. Sadly I’m at work. Will have to watch the box scores! (And find the game to rewartch when home)


In the SR, Bama scored 2 runs in 9 innings in the first game, but were shut out in the second game (7 innings) against. Bama had a walk, hit batter, sac bunt, and a 2-rbi double in the second inning. Osorio, who pitched lights out, took a 2-0 lead into the seventh, only to see UW tie the score and then win it in the 9th. Plain gave up 3 hits over 9 innings.

In the second game, Alvelo shut out Bama 6-0 against Gettins and Preston, giving up 3 hits over 7 innings. Total: 2 runs and 6 hits over 16 innings pitched.

In the Regional, Minnesota scored 2 runs (but only one earned) on 7 hits against Alvelo/Plain and Texas scored 1 run on 2 hits against Plain. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.