Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #1 
Anybody hearing any rumblings out of Blacksburg & new Coach purging the Roster a bit?
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 181
Reply with quote  #2 
No, but wouldn't they get all their AC hires done before they made roster decisions?
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,275
Reply with quote  #3 
He's a character, is all I can really say.
Pitch31Coach

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #4 
The Va Tech coach is a great coach and he is doing everything that he can to figure out to put the program back on the map.  Give it a few years and that program will be a contender again!  I haven't met a player who doesn't like playing for this coach.  I am only hearing very positive things out of Blacksburg!
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,911
Reply with quote  #5 
I mean they clearly need something to change. Can’t knock him off for that
ProveThemWrong

Registered:
Posts: 158
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
No, but wouldn't they get all their AC hires done before they made roster decisions?


The coaching staff should be pretty much all set now. The only questions would be the director of ops/volunteer assistant position.
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 181
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProveThemWrong


The coaching staff should be pretty much all set now. The only questions would be the director of ops/volunteer assistant position.


Kumar is the only AC they've announced.  I've heard Gillis being talked about as an AC/pitching coach but nothings been made public about that yet.
ProveThemWrong

Registered:
Posts: 158
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty


Kumar is the only AC they've announced.  I've heard Gillis being talked about as an AC/pitching coach but nothings been made public about that yet.


I’m not sure why it hasn’t been released yet, but I’m pretty positive Gillis will be joining him at Virginia Tech. The only way Gillis doesn’t go is if administration makes D’Amour keep Tincher on staff. I’d be surprised if Tincher stays, but I’m sure that is a rather touchy subject in Blacksburg.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #9 
 New was coach was asked about the current verbals/commits, his answer was '...I have no commits'. 

This according to a Va. Travel Coach. 

Been a long time coming for Va Tech. Things are getting shaken up a bit.
luvmesomefastpitch

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #10 
Heard from a Travel Coach with VTech commits:

Need to re-evaluate all commits. Don't have any money for them, need the money to find pitching...

__________________
May the fastpitch gods smile upon you...
springball

Registered:
Posts: 38
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmesomefastpitch
Heard from a Travel Coach with VTech commits:

Need to re-evaluate all commits. Don't have any money for them, need the money to find pitching...


This is a little odd.VT has 4 pitchers,1 jr.,2 soph. and invited walk on fr.

The pitching staff had the 3rd best ERA in the ACC.

D'Amour said the VT job wasn't a major rebuild had good pitching and fielding,just need to
 improve the hitting.

Hitting has been the big problem at VT for years,especially leaving RISP.
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 7,067
Reply with quote  #12 
Well,he did sign up 8 hours ago just to share that nugget
__________________
#SCOTUS x two


Hokiechip

Registered:
Posts: 116
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProveThemWrong


I’m not sure why it hasn’t been released yet, but I’m pretty positive Gillis will be joining him at Virginia Tech. The only way Gillis doesn’t go is if administration makes D’Amour keep Tincher on staff. I’d be surprised if Tincher stays, but I’m sure that is a rather touchy subject in Blacksburg.


There is a divided house among the VT faithful regarding Tincher.  Some fans want a completely new start and some want her retained.

There is some talk on the VT message board that the Assistant Coach position requires a college degree which Gillis apparently does not have.  I do not know if that is true or not, but it is odd that nothing has been announced.
luvmesomefastpitch

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by springball


This is a little odd.VT has 4 pitchers,1 jr.,2 soph. and invited walk on fr.

The pitching staff had the 3rd best ERA in the ACC.

D'Amour said the VT job wasn't a major rebuild had good pitching and fielding,just need to
 improve the hitting.

Hitting has been the big problem at VT for years,especially leaving RISP.


Couldn't agree more!

__________________
May the fastpitch gods smile upon you...
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by springball


This is a little odd.VT has 4 pitchers,1 jr.,2 soph. and invited walk on fr.

The pitching staff had the 3rd best ERA in the ACC.

D'Amour said the VT job wasn't a major rebuild had good pitching and fielding,just need to
 improve the hitting.

Hitting has been the big problem at VT for years,especially leaving RISP.


According to the ACC Site they were 3rd in Conference Play, right behind upstart Duke. 

They were 6th in Overall Pitching ERA for all games played @ 3.05

Eberle the rising Junior made tremendous strides from her Freshman year on the mound. Especially since she carried the load in the circle. Dale & Rochard struggled more than I'm sure Tech anticipated. That and lack of run production not a good scenario certainly. 

Apparently Dale & Rochard were Tincher recruits...so I'm told. They were both more than competent players out of High School but, both looked identical in the Circle in College as they did before they arrived. Rochard didn't throw particularly hard but did have an effective Inside Rise & workable Curve. Dale threw hard...everywhere. She sent more kids to First Base in Body Bags to go along with bunch of Ks and  almost as many Walks as Hits. 

Either Freshman pitcher looked to improve at all under Tincher. That's not good for job security. The new Coach has already started to inject his culture into the program so I would think the players will take that to heart and get more motivated. In talking to a couple current kids on the roster they seem excited for the new Coach and his message. 

As far as Tincher, other than 2008, what exactly has she done lately?

And who is the invited walk-on?




ProveThemWrong

Registered:
Posts: 158
Reply with quote  #16 
Gillis to Virginia Tech as the new pitching coach.

https://hokiesports.com/news/2018/8/10/softball-gillis-selected-as-pitching-coach.aspx
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,512
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty


Kumar is the only AC they've announced.


Is there a White Castle in Blacksburg?
TerpAlum

Registered:
Posts: 811
Reply with quote  #18 
You mean, Gillis of the technique to "hop forward after releasing the drop ball" fame? Two pitchers hit in the noggin fame?! Yikes. OK listen on the spin and have him throw bp, but please leave the pitchers' mechanics alone.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.