Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #1 
Texas. With all the resources and recruits available to them they could be a contender in the Big 12 and on a national scale???. 
__________________
 
dawgs

Registered:
Posts: 666
Reply with quote  #2 
Ya think?
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #3 
We have gone over this one many many times.  I think people have lost interest in it because the Texas Athletic Department doesn't care that CC STILL can't win a natty after 21 years with all that stuff avail.[smile]
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,043
Reply with quote  #4 
http://www.hookem.com/2017/06/12/connie-clark-will-return-22nd-season-texas-softball-coach/

Ex:

 Clark received a three-year extension in 2015, so the longtime coach is “good to go” for the upcoming season.



Seems 2018 is the last year of the deal.

__________________
Dewey on victims of sexual assault:  Both women later switched their stories.  Was there a reward or something else behind their change?  Who knows?
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #5 
Connie Clark is a good coach. She can't recruit on the same level as Patty Gasso, but who can? If UT could get out of the Big 12, into the SEC and out from under the shadow of OU, the Horns could probably be a Top 10 team.
Nextyear

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #6 
If UT was in the SEC they would win 4-5 conference games a year. It would hurt them not help them.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,249
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextyear
If UT was in the SEC they would win 4-5 conference games a year. It would hurt them not help them.


I agree on the level of the 4-5 games a year, but playing in the SEC would probably force CC right on out of the door
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 150
Reply with quote  #8 
Scrybe is saying that without the otherworldly recruiting machine that is OU with Gasso, Texas would be unshackled to recruit all of the best kids in the SEC, and hence would be a top 10 program (because after all, those SEC recruiters are a bunch of hacks). Of course, with all that superiority, I'm amazed that OU hasn't won a championship by run rule each year of Gasso's tenure.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #9 
SEC – SEC – SEC!!!!!  LOL.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,436
Reply with quote  #10 

Things I never thought I would say in my lifetime...

"I am rooting for any SEC team to beat the crap out of ..."

 

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,099
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe
Connie Clark is a good coach. She can't recruit on the same level as Patty Gasso, but who can? If UT could get out of the Big 12, into the SEC and out from under the shadow of OU, the Horns could probably be a Top 10 team.


Interesting assertion, because there was a stretch there in the last 2000s where Connie Clark was out-recruiting Gasso.  There was a 12 year stretch there where Gasso wasn't as much of a world-beater as she is now.  Connie Clark's issue isn't recruiting, it's performing with those recruits.

The funniest part is the thought process that UT needs to get out of the Big 12, when UT in fact owns the Big 12 (as a conference), thus why Mizzou and TAMU are part of the SEC now.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


Interesting assertion, because there was a stretch there in the last 2000s where Connie Clark was out-recruiting Gasso.  There was a 12 year stretch there where Gasso wasn't as much of a world-beater as she is now.  Connie Clark's issue isn't recruiting, it's performing with those recruits.

The funniest part is the thought process that UT needs to get out of the Big 12, when UT in fact owns the Big 12 (as a conference), thus why Mizzou and TAMU are part of the SEC now.


If it was about money, then, yes, the whorns would own the Big 12.
sbparent

Registered:
Posts: 129
Reply with quote  #13 
In softball its about pitching and UT can never land any of the top Texas HS pitchers (at least over the past 5 years).  All of the top pitchers sign someplace else and UT is stuck with the crumbs. 
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbparent
In softball its about pitching and UT can never land any of the top Texas HS pitchers (at least over the past 5 years).  All of the top pitchers sign someplace else and UT is stuck with the crumbs. 


While I agree that pitching provides the foundation in building a winning sb team, UT couldn't win a national title even when they had the best pitcher in softball.  I guess what I'm saying is, defense and hitting are also important.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,436
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


While I agree that pitching provides the foundation in building a winning sb team, UT couldn't win a national title even when they had the best pitcher in softball.  I guess what I'm saying is, defense and hitting are also important.
LOL... Like I said -- the worst sort of winner. By the skin of the teeth and with PLENTY of help... and voila we're taunting Texas and the Cat Osterman era.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
LOL... Like I said -- the worst sort of winner. By the skin of the teeth and with PLENTY of help... and voila we're taunting Texas and the Cat Osterman era.


You, sir, are something else. Taunting Cat Osterman? I have the utmost respect for Cat Osterman and everything she's accomplished, both as a college player and as a pro.

Do I enjoy taunting UT?  Absolutely.  And anyone with even the most rudimentary knowledge of the OU-Texas rivalry (football, basketball, softball, etc.) knows that ALL Texas and Oklahoma fans taunt the opposing school as often as the opportunity presents itself.

It has become very predictable that any comment I make, whether serious or in jest, will illicit a response from you that is as hostile as it is immediate. I've come to expect it, so if you're trying to hurt my feelings, you'll have to drop the "worst kind of winner" theme and come up with something that packs a little more punch. I'm sure you're up to the challenge.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,099
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbparent
In softball its about pitching and UT can never land any of the top Texas HS pitchers (at least over the past 5 years).  All of the top pitchers sign someplace else and UT is stuck with the crumbs. 


Who do you group in the "top" list of pitchers.

The ones I can think of are Selman and Littlejohn.  I mean they did have Luna, and both Wright and Davis came out of HS/TB with some decently high accolades.
sbparent

Registered:
Posts: 129
Reply with quote  #18 
Several pitchers off the top of my head are:

Rupp - Texas State
McDuffie - UCLA
Show - A&M

Wright and Davis are not top level pitchers. 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,436
Reply with quote  #19 
McDuffee was damaged before ever throwing a college pitch
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #20 
I'm sure you all know what I'm about to say before I even say it, but:

Nicole Mendes is potentially better than any of the young ladies mentioned above…and Nicole is a rightfielder.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,436
Reply with quote  #21 
Yes, of course
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Yes, of course


Appreciate it, Lefty. [smile]
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,436
Reply with quote  #23 
Gotta love the Big-12 giving as many (as in zero) s--ts as Oklahoma in producing a complete statistical package that accounts for each of the conference's players.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,099
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbparent
Several pitchers off the top of my head are:

Rupp - Texas State
McDuffie - UCLA
Show - A&M

Wright and Davis are not top level pitchers. 


Based on what?  Potential or existing coaching?

Carlson surely didn't look like a top level pitcher at UNC.

McDuffie couldn't make it out of 2 games at nationals for travel ball.  Not sure that's as big of a miss as the other two.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #25 
"whorns"

Lmao!
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,212
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
"whorns"

Lmao!


Par for the course in the Sooner-UT rivalry.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
Par for the course in the Sooner-UT rivalry.


And to the whorns, we are, of course, the (not-nearly-so funny) Gooners.
TexasSoftball1199

Registered:
Posts: 337
Reply with quote  #28 
She seems to be having a good recruiting class coming in. The problem I see is there is a probability they will not struggle with pitching but with hitting. Only field replacements I see are the Alabama HS kid who has a chance at 2B and Janae Jefferson who I think is an OFielder. The backup infielders weren't exactly "top notch" this year and Texas has to replace 1B, 3B, and SS. My guess is Gortarez at SS, MK Tedder at 2B in place of Gortarez move and then the corners are a big ?
__________________
Hook 'Em and Sic 'Em
sball11

Registered:
Posts: 34
Reply with quote  #29 
Gortarez has left Texas and will be with the Sun Devils of ASU next season...
stillearnin

Registered:
Posts: 123
Reply with quote  #30 
hmm, from watching, i get the impression they sacrifice defense in favor of offense...although admittedly, I haven't been watching much since Blair Luna/just boring.  I did hear they are showing a real interest in a player from a Texas team/even though there's a better defensive player (same position), on the same team...just not quite as good a hitter. Typical. Sorry, but  this seems backwards, imo.  I want my outs first and foremost. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.