Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 17      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 169
Reply with quote  #31 
I think you're right about that... so I guess she will be able to play in the spring.



Here is a short video of highlights from her time at UTSA. She was an all-state selection alongside Cortni Emanuel her senior year. It'd be fun to see her and the Emanuels in the outfield together as teammates again, though I don't know where she stands on LHC's list amongst starting outfielders.
Cooper11

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #32 
She's impressive.  Looking forward to watching her in Athens.  Thanks for posting..

UGAfan

Registered:
Posts: 178
Reply with quote  #33 
How do you guys think UGA will fare in conference this year??
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #34 
Does anyone know what happened to Sydney Gutierrez? She was listed on the roster up until they added this year's photos. 
UGAfan

Registered:
Posts: 178
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan
Does anyone know what happened to Sydney Gutierrez? She was listed on the roster up until they added this year's photos. 
Every year it seems like atleast 1 Freshman doesnt make it passed the fall season!!
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAfan
Every year it seems like atleast 1 Freshman doesnt make it passed the fall season!!


I guess I'm mostly interested because K. Burton took over her old number as soon as the rosters were updated. Gutierrez seemed like a really good, really level-headed kid. I hope she goes on to play somewhere.
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 169
Reply with quote  #37 
What do y'all think the starting lineup looks like for tomorrow? Who fills in the holes in the outfield and infield? Who is going to lead off the season in the circle?
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBear15
What do y'all think the starting lineup looks like for tomorrow? Who fills in the holes in the outfield and infield? Who is going to lead off the season in the circle?


Because it's Winthrop, I think we see one of the freshman arms (though I could be wrong).

To take a (highly uneducated stab at the lineup), I'll go with...

S. Emanuel
C. Emanuel
C. Bryan
A. DiCarlo
M. McGuire
J. Milz
Kay. Harding/M. O'Neal
L. Sumerlin
K. Burton
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,101
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


Because it's Winthrop, I think we see one of the freshman arms (though I could be wrong).

To take a (highly uneducated stab at the lineup), I'll go with...

S. Emanuel
C. Emanuel
C. Bryan
A. DiCarlo
M. McGuire
J. Milz
Kay. Harding/M. O'Neal
L. Sumerlin
K. Burton


LHC better throw a freshman arm.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #40 
First lineup of the year looks like this:

1. Cortni Emanuel (CF)
2. Sydni Emanuel (RF)
3. Maeve McGuire (C)
4. Alyssa DiCarlo (3B)
5. Lacey Sumerlin (1B)
6. Alysen Febrey (DP)
7. Justice Milz (2B)
8. Ciara Bryan (SS)
9. Kendall Burton (LF)
SP: Brittany Gray
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 169
Reply with quote  #41 
Ablan resembles a young Chelsea Wilkinson quite a bit. Even wearing the same number 20. She looks good out there.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBear15
Ablan resembles a young Chelsea Wilkinson quite a bit. Even wearing the same number 20. She looks good out there.


That rise will give me a heart attack if it keeps sailing like that, but she looks calm out there I'll agree. Here's to hoping she has a great career.

Do we start Ablan, Avant, or Bass versus the 'Cuse?
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 169
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


That rise will give me a heart attack if it keeps sailing like that, but she looks calm out there I'll agree. Here's to hoping she has a great career.

Do we start Ablan, Avant, or Bass versus the 'Cuse?

The answer is Bass and she starts it off with a strikeout.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #44 
What. A. Ending!

Down 5-2, Georgia reels off five straight hits (including a bases-clearing triple from Burton and singles from THREE freshmen) to take the win, 6-5!
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 169
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan
What. A. Ending!

Down 5-2, Georgia reels off five straight hits (including a bases-clearing triple from Burton and singles from THREE freshmen) to take the win, 6-5!

A fantastic game for sure. This is such a versatile,dynamic lineup and they really showed that tonight. Burton showed why she was in the top 10 in triples in the nation her freshman year. Impressed with the athletic freshmen. Bass also held her own in the circle with the complete game win. The only area that could use some improvement is defense, but other than that the team looked good.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 991
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBear15
A fantastic game for sure. This is such a versatile,dynamic lineup and they really showed that tonight. Burton showed why she was in the top 10 in triples in the nation her freshman year. Impressed with the athletic freshmen. Bass also held her own in the circle with the complete game win. The only area that could use some improvement is defense, but other than that the team looked good.


Bass held her own...that's adorable. Bass got ALOT of help which she will need ALL season from the freshman. The kid is a grinder for sure however, she started right where she left off from last year. When you're only throwing 56-59 eventually it looks like a mortar barrage with all the balls flying into the outfield. The Emanuel sisters better have a good supply of track shoes when she's on the mound. That said, run support is a pitcher's best friend but UGA will lose alot more of those games than they will win. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2 other freshman pitchers they got. That is the future IMO.
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 169
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Bass held her own...that's adorable. Bass got ALOT of help which she will need ALL season from the freshman. The kid is a grinder for sure however, she started right where she left off from last year. When you're only throwing 56-59 eventually it looks like a mortar barrage with all the balls flying into the outfield. The Emanuel sisters better have a good supply of track shoes when she's on the mound. That said, run support is a pitcher's best friend but UGA will lose alot more of those games than they will win. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2 other freshman pitchers they got. That is the future IMO.

She came out of the game with only 1 earned run allowed which I think is pretty okay. Once the defense settles in and she gets back into the groove things will only get better from there. Now having said that, I think she's much better as a closer and don't see her pitching many more complete games, but she still did not have a poor performance in this game.
UGAfan

Registered:
Posts: 178
Reply with quote  #48 
Mary Wilson Avant started the game today against ECU.. To me she did really good the ump just wasn't calling some of her pitches today that couldve been strikes!!
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 991
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBear15
She came out of the game with only 1 earned run allowed which I think is pretty okay. Once the defense settles in and she gets back into the groove things will only get better from there. Now having said that, I think she's much better as a closer and don't see her pitching many more complete games, but she still did not have a poor performance in this game.


Houston I'll ammend my previous thoughts a bit. I do agree with you she would be more effective as a closer, especially following Gray. That said, while it is very early in season, she was facing Syracuse. Syracuse is not and SEC powerhouse but I'd expect they could easily handle Bass, as they did. Especially given couple times thru their lineup. Just about every good travel team has a pitcher equal to Bass so it's no surprise Syracuse averaged a hit an inning which is way too much. GA has alot of young kids which need to learn the speed of the game sooner than later and the errors will go away. And the freshman showed up nicely for Bass when it counted. In the end a wins a win which is all that matters. Also, the BAA when facing Bass is very low which is a good sign. 
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 421
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Houston I'll ammend my previous thoughts a bit. I do agree with you she would be more effective as a closer, especially following Gray. That said, while it is very early in season, she was facing Syracuse. Syracuse is not and SEC powerhouse but I'd expect they could easily handle Bass, as they did. Especially given couple times thru their lineup. Just about every good travel team has a pitcher equal to Bass so it's no surprise Syracuse averaged a hit an inning which is way too much. GA has alot of young kids which need to learn the speed of the game sooner than later and the errors will go away. And the freshman showed up nicely for Bass when it counted. In the end a wins a win which is all that matters. Also, the BAA when facing Bass is very low which is a good sign. 


We have been playing against Bass, Avant and Ablan on the travel ball circuit for years, and I will be very surprised if they do not end up 1) Ablan, 2) Avant, then 3) Bass by the end of the season.  Have never played Gray, so I am not really sure what they have there.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 991
Reply with quote  #51 
Gray is a competent pitcher throwing very hard. Got a better than avg off speed also. Also moves ball nicely in the 64-65 range. I think her issues are more health/stamina related. I'm sure every UGA fan just wants her to get 100% healthy so she can be strong & reliable game to game. There is a deep pitching roster so plenty of innings to go around to figure out who can step up.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


We have been playing against Bass, Avant and Ablan on the travel ball circuit for years, and I will be very surprised if they do not bake out 1) Ablan, 2) Avant, then 3) Bass by the end of the season.  Have never played Gray, so I am not really sure what they have there.


I'm not saying this to be nitpicky, but what do you mean by 'bake out'? I've been trying to figure that out for longer than I'd care to admit 
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 421
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


I'm not saying this to be nitpicky, but what do you mean by 'bake out'? I've been trying to figure that out for longer than I'd care to admit 


LOL - maybe that was a poor choice of words...I have edited my post.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


LOL - maybe that was a poor choice of words...I have edited my post.


All is well! I'm hoping we see more of Ablan/Avant next weekend, but that's just me. If we do wind up relying on Bass/Gray down the stretch I'd like to see the freshmen given a longer leash. I understood pulling Avant yesterday (she vas visibly rattled by the strikezone inconsistency) but I would've liked to see more of Ablan outside of the small relief appearance. Hopefully that happens next weekend!
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 421
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


All is well! I'm hoping we see more of Ablan/Avant next weekend, but that's just me. If we do wind up relying on Bass/Gray down the stretch I'd like to see the freshmen given a longer leash. I understood pulling Avant yesterday (she vas visibly rattled by the strikezone inconsistency) but I would've liked to see more of Ablan outside of the small relief appearance. Hopefully that happens next weekend!


I think how much we see Ablan and Avant is depending on how well Gray is pitching.  If she is pitching well I bet Lu rides her like an ACE.
Java_Lava

Registered:
Posts: 32
Reply with quote  #56 
First time poster here after spending the last two years watching the back-and-forth on the site. 

As someone who has watched a lot of the Southern travel ball teams (Bolts, EC Bullets, GA Impact, Gold Coast, etc.), as well as tons of D1 softball over the past two decades or so, I wanted to chime in regarding Georgia in 2017.

Febrey, Milz, and Bryan were all huge gets for Georgia, and I expect them to be top caliber in the coming months/years. Combine them with the bats of Sumerlin, DiCarlo, McGuire, Burton and the Emanuel sisters, and it makes for a potent (and FAST) lineup. 

The worries come when you look at the pitching staff (Gray, Bass, Avant, Ablan, and the rarely used Ferris). There is a reason the UGA staff isn't using Ablan a lot to start the season, and it has to be because she simply didn't do as well as the others in scrimmages and/or Fall Ball. Gray seems to not be able to go more than 4-5 innings without getting "figured out" and Bass is really more of a 2-3 inning opener or closer. Here's hoping Ablan and Avant make big strides in their game to give UGA the extra support they need. 

And as for the defense, I watched three of the UGA games this weekend and saw at least 6-7 errors- mostly throwing the ball around on bunt and steal attempts. To add on top on this, I saw AT LEAST 5-6 base running errors that cost the team runs and RISP. 

Lots of things to tighten up over the next few weeks or else this team could be middle of the pack (or worse) in the SEC this year. Mary Nutter should be a decent test, with games against Fullerton, Notre Dame, UCLA, and Northwestern- UCLA being the only team that looks above average so far. 

This team has a TON of potential but I'm not sure we will see this team back in the Supers or OKC for another year or two at least.

Just my opinion.
k7c2

Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Lots of things to tighten up over the next few weeks or else this team could be middle of the pack (or worse) in the SEC this year.


Agreed. The defense is pretty worrisome. I'm hopeful that we can settle in, because averaging 2 errors/game definitely isn't going to cut it in conference play.

I agree that we'll probably need significant innings out of one or both of our freshman pitchers. I like Bass, but she doesn't have the speed to carry the load in the SEC. Gray seems to be about where she was last year. My take on her has always been that it's a confidence game--usually if she pitches the first couple of innings clean, she looks unstoppable (I'm thinking particularly of her game against Mizzou last year, which was a pretty solid offensive team), but if she gets touched up early, she has trouble recovering.

Really hoping we throw Ablan and Avant a good bit next weekend--that looks like the best-case scenario for getting their feet wet. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see mostly Gray and Bass again.

I felt like most of our base running errors were a result of being too aggressive, which I'd rather see than mental errors. But you're definitely right that we can't afford to give away those runs down the stretch. The idea of this offense clicking on all cylinders and staying dialing it back juuuuust a nudge on the bases, though? That could be pretty exciting.
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 169
Reply with quote  #58 
When it comes time for conference play, I don't think there's any doubt that teams like Alabama and Auburn are going to get their hits and runs in against the Georgia pitching staff. I think this pitching staff can be effective but I don't see them completely shutting down those powerful teams, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'll just be up to the offense to keep themselves in the game. This offense seems to be very versatile and there is no weak link 1-9. The three new freshmen and transfer, Burton, are great additions and add a lot of speed to the lineup.
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 169
Reply with quote  #59 
Mahlena O'neal can really hammer the ball. I think it'll be a tough battle between her and Febrey to see who gets the DP spot in the big games. 
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBear15
Mahlena O'neal can really hammer the ball. I think it'll be a tough battle between her and Febrey to see who gets the DP spot in the big games. 


Which is crazy to me because they should both be in the lineup, offensively and all. I know why the other players are there before them, but if they can keep up the offensive production they will make it a tough decision.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.