Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 17 of 17     «   Prev   14   15   16   17
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #481 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash
I understand players transfer because of issues like playing time, coaches, and other things... Also, the players need to learn how to deal with a challenge instead of running away from an issue so quick... Learn how to compete and most important do their research before committing to the University...
it is a balance. Agreed
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #482 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Four catchers on UF roster... gotta guess there will be a move there

Indeed...
http://www.fgcuathletics.com/news/2017/8/7/-fgcu-softball-adds-six-more-for-2018-season.aspx
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #483 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash
I understand players transfer because of issues like playing time, coaches, and other things... Also, the players need to learn how to deal with a challenge instead of running away from an issue so quick... Learn how to compete and most important do their research before committing to the University...


Lots of college coaches are like politicians - they tell the players what they want to hear during recruiting, but once players are signed and on campus the coach turn into a Drill Sargent.
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 277
Reply with quote  #484 
Has this one been mentioned yet?


http://www.ukathletics.com/news/2017/8/22/kentucky-softball-adds-transfer-autumn-humes-to-pitching-staff.aspx

sftbll4ever

Registered:
Posts: 211
Reply with quote  #485 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash
I understand players transfer because of issues like playing time, coaches, and other things... Also, the players need to learn how to deal with a challenge instead of running away from an issue so quick... Learn how to compete and most important do their research before committing to the University...


Also, when a player gets on campus and is told they are fat and are continually degraded and belittled in front of the team by the coach a player is supposed to just take that?  Kid was also a starter as a freshman so playing time was not an issue.  

Not all research works out either.  My kids coach was given glowing remarks from a friend that I went to HS with and with whom she played with.  No one knew she was an abuser.  

Sometimes it is just a toxic situation that is not healthy for ANY person to have to try and deal with.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,026
Reply with quote  #486 


I think so. Hopefully she will do well for the Wildcats. Could not imagine Spellman handling the pitching for UK.....yikes.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,406
Reply with quote  #487 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftbll4ever


Also, when a player gets on campus and is told they are fat and are continually degraded and belittled in front of the team by the coach a player is supposed to just take that?  Kid was also a starter as a freshman so playing time was not an issue.  

Not all research works out either.  My kids coach was given glowing remarks from a friend that I went to HS with and with whom she played with.  No one knew she was an abuser.  

Sometimes it is just a toxic situation that is not healthy for ANY person to have to try and deal with.



Good lord, is the player fat?  Then it's the truth!  
ultsoftballparent

Registered:
Posts: 28
Reply with quote  #488 
No one should be publicly demeaned by a Coach ever due to how she looks.  Yes a coach can call out not working or needing to improve skill but body comments should be off limits!!!!  Please get all coaches removed that have to stoop to middle school bullying!!! 
BStandby

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #489 
Why is a player coming to the fall season overweight?  There is no excuse, you know the rules. Where is player responsibility? They are paying you to do a job.

There is a line, Coaches should never call a person fat. Nor should any employer, as a manager I would be fired on the spot for doing that, or written up never to be promoted again.  However, there are those people who twist words. Did the coach say you are fat? Or did the coach say you are overweight and are required to get into shape to play?  Some people are raised to be victims and some are raised to be bullies.  

That being said, I think its interesting that many of these players are recruited knowing that there is a weight problem. So a coach better figure it out quick.  

 

__________________
Bob...
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,916
Reply with quote  #490 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



Good lord, is the player fat?  Then it's the truth!  


The thing with "fat" players is that there have been "fat" players who have done just fine at the D1 level:  Nueveman and Veronica Nelson to name two.  There's a difference between just being fat and being fat and out of shape.
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 277
Reply with quote  #491 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
I think so. Hopefully she will do well for the Wildcats. Could not imagine Spellman handling the pitching for UK.....yikes.


There's Rethlake, Spellman and 2 freshman.
smileyface

Registered:
Posts: 191
Reply with quote  #492 
There are a lot of "FAT" players who can hit the hell out of a ball
sftbll4ever

Registered:
Posts: 211
Reply with quote  #493 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BStandby
Why is a player coming to the fall season overweight?  There is no excuse, you know the rules. Where is player responsibility? They are paying you to do a job.

There is a line, Coaches should never call a person fat. Nor should any employer, as a manager I would be fired on the spot for doing that, or written up never to be promoted again.  However, there are those people who twist words. Did the coach say you are fat? Or did the coach say you are overweight and are required to get into shape to play?  Some people are raised to be victims and some are raised to be bullies.  

That being said, I think its interesting that many of these players are recruited knowing that there is a weight problem. So a coach better figure it out quick.  

 


I would think a player that comes in about 150 and then is told for them to pitch effectively they should realistically be 130 and told to lose 20 lbs because they are "FAT" is just wrong. Having done the required workout given to freshman and doing more than required because they know the extra work it takes, and then being told not enough!!!  WRONG!!!

Fastforward 2 years new school, new coach.  End of season meeting and knowing she was overweight told coaches she understood she needed to do more work and would be in shape for season.  Coaches said they didn't feel she needed to lose too much, but her expectations were much higher.  Having weighing in at OVER 150 she knew the coaches deserved better, why, because they earned her respect.  There are ways to handle situations and ways not too.  

I could go on about how a new pitching coach came in and decided to skinny shame her next but we will leave that one to rest.

All I am saying is there are many relevant reasons to transfer and much as there are many reasons NOT to transfer!!!  Coaches are just as responsible as the privileged kids/parents.  Reasons are not always cookie cutter or black and white.  There can be gray areas!!!
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,026
Reply with quote  #494 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2


There's Rethlake, Spellman and 2 freshman.


I got Rethlake's graduation date mixed up. She will likely be the ace if Humes doesn't take it. Spellman needs work
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,406
Reply with quote  #495 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


The thing with "fat" players is that there have been "fat" players who have done just fine at the D1 level:  Nueveman and Veronica Nelson to name two.  There's a difference between just being fat and being fat and out of shape.



Exactly!  My point was that if the player is fat, then it's the truth.  Nothing about playing ability.  Lol.[smile]

Now fat pitchers, big diff!  When Keilani Ricketts slimmed down the fat and packed on the muscle, she was ridiculously awesome compared to just really good.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 190
Reply with quote  #496 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



Exactly!  My point was that if the player is fat, then it's the truth.  Nothing about playing ability.  Lol.[smile]

Now fat pitchers, big diff!  When Keilani Ricketts slimmed down the fat and packed on the muscle, she was ridiculously awesome compared to just really good.


Paige Parker is awesome already.  I suppose we could start calling her Wonder Woman if she "slimmed down?"
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,839
Reply with quote  #497 
IMO, there is a difference between being fat and being a big, ole country hoss
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,916
Reply with quote  #498 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



Exactly!  My point was that if the player is fat, then it's the truth.  Nothing about playing ability.  Lol.[smile]

Now fat pitchers, big diff!  When Keilani Ricketts slimmed down the fat and packed on the muscle, she was ridiculously awesome compared to just really good.


Though in general I agree with you and think that slimming a pitcher down and adding muscle can do nothing but good, there have been some solid pitchers that did just fine without slimming down:  Keira Goerl.  

It will always be my stance that KR's junior and senior year success had a lot to do with Michelle developing as a #2 that was solid enough to take substantial innings away from KR.  Obviously KR was good from the get-go, but seeing her exhausted her FR and SO year was not fun to watch.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #499 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


The thing with "fat" players is that there have been "fat" players who have done just fine at the D1 level:  Nueveman and Veronica Nelson to name two.  There's a difference between just being fat and being fat and out of shape.


Brittney Gray at UGA is bigger than most.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #500 
Heard that Brooke Perry has transferred from Purdue to Gardner Webb.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: