Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #91 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGarfio
I don't see anywhere in here where they vacated an outfielder


Uh.....ok.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 592
Reply with quote  #92 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
In the Williams shift there appears to be about 190 feet from the leftfielder to the fence. Pretty apparent they pulled the leftfielder in to be a deep shortstop.

Sorry if you are unable to understand that. Pretty apparent from your short time here that you're probably not able to


Bullseye! In the photo, Case is in effect at deep short. That pic looks nearly identical to OU's shift.
ElGarfio

Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #93 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic
Bullseye! In the photo, Case is in effect at deep short. That pic looks nearly identical to OU's shift.


notice the flight of the ball. It worked real well there didn't it? Also she was doing it for all of the right handed batters. I'm done with this and done with you guys. You wouldn't understand if I hit you in the head with it.  You're just Thick. I feel sorry for your daughters. I hope you aren't coaches.

__________________
The Wild Bull of the Pampas
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #94 
You said it had never happened before - it obviously has. But yeah, we are thick.

You probably think armbands are a bad idea too.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 592
Reply with quote  #95 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGarfio


I'm done with this and done with you guys.


Great! Leave! You've done nothing but stir the pot with you idiotic BS since you signed up.

.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,507
Reply with quote  #96 
And then there was Team USA coaching
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #97 
<< Believe me.... if Sooners go 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 10th, that whacky shift sinking her season would be mentioned before her natties.
That's the way that goes.
It is a silly risk in any circumstance against an able-bodied peer team, other than Lowary facing a righty a first time.
That's three bases, and it doesn't take a swing with authority....
A bleeder, bloop, humpback liner, a gork, a ground ball, a ground ball with eyes.... >> (3LT)

-----------------------------------------

It seems that your ONLY argument - is that if it gets beaten in a crucial situation... 
weak witted fans will cry about it (after the fact).

There is nothing new (or special) about that.
Small minded fans will cry about anything and everything  - that results in their team losing.
Being a Monday morning quarterback (whining about what failed after the fact) is nothing new... 
and doesn't prove anything.

Just because the lowest denominator level fans would bemoan it after the fact... 
does not change the fact - that it WORKED ALMOST ALL THE TIME.

Your "whiny fans will be upset" argument fails to hold any meaningful water.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<< It is a silly risk in any circumstance against an able-bodied peer team, other than Lowary facing a righty a first time. >> (3LT)

The stats have proven your attempt at a point above - incorrect. 
Lowary faced many RHB two are three times - and the shift still worked ALMOST ALL THE TIME.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<< That's three bases, and it doesn't take a swing with authority.... >> (3LT)

Wrong again, Lefty. 

When Tulsa right handed batter, Tori Stafford, beat the shift with a well hit liner into left field... 
Nicole Mendes held her to a double. So it was TWO bases - not three.

If you remember - Lowary pitched 8 and 1/3 innings in this game... 
which at that time was by far the longest she had gone all season. 
I pointed out after this game - that Gasso should keep track of how long Lowary has been in a game (and if her velocity has seemed to drop). And that she should keep those factors in mind in the future - as to when it might be a good time to NOT shift - if Lowary appears to have gotten tired.

The ONLY time that Lowary got beat with the shift on - during all the late season games that were televised... 
is in that Tulsa game - when she had pitched by far the longest stretch of any of her outings in the 2017 season (up to that point).

Later - when Lowary pitched even more innings in the 17 inning game vs. Florida... 
Gasso went away from using the shift after Lowary had been in that game for a LONG time. 

Guess what, EG...
Patty Gasso learned something from that Tulsa game. She actually keeps track of all these numerous - but important - small details... 
and uses them to her team's advantage. 

Strike three! You're out, dude!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #98 
<< Yes she is the whole package. She's a genius. I especially thought the most genius way to motivate her players was the fact that they had to earn their white cleats. GENIUS! I can't thing of anything that would make me play harder than earning a pair of white cleats. >> (EG)

Dude... 
are you arguing that it DID work... 
or that it didn't work..?

Because... 
Guess what, Einstein... 
it did work.

Strike Four!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #99 
<< If you don't know why a hit and run with 2 outs is a bad move you really don't understand anything about anything. >> (EG)

I guess you must be conceding all the other points in my post - 
if this is the only thing to which you chose to respond.

Strike Five!

But PLEASE, PLEASE... 
oh great swami of the diamond... 
Please inform me - "why a hit and run with 2 outs is a bad move".

Please... I'm begging you... 
Tell us all... your wonderful words of wisdom.

Enlighten us!
Please!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #100 
<< My pov says that not having a left fielder out there against a left handed batter is a stupid move. >> (EG)

OMFG!

You don't even know that the shift we have been discussing is used ONLY against right handed batters..?????

STRIKE SIX!!!!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #101 
<< If you keep betting a horse that is 99-1 and a 99-1 shot wins the 350th time you make the bet. Guess what? You still lost money. >> (EG)

The 99-1 shot in this discussion is much more closer to how often the shift gets beaten (maybe 3 out of 150). So your point is empty.

Strike seven!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #102 
<< She was lucky to beat Tulsa. She shouldn't have beat Tulsa. Stop and think about that. You have those athletes and you're down by 3 runs in the 7th inning in an elimination game to Tulsa? >> (EG)

Tulsa NEVER led by 3 runs against Oklahoma.
And in the 7th inning - the score was 2-2. As it was in the 8th and the 9th.
Tulsa scored 2 in the top of the 10th. 
Then Oklahoma scored 4 in the bottom of the 10th.

Btw... This game - was the most exciting game of the entire NCAA post season - for me.
Down by two in the tenth -
then here is what happened... 

Mendes hits the first pitch of the bottom of the tenth for a clean single into RF. 
Clifton swings and misses at the first pitch - then clubs a HR into the LF stands - 
TO TIE THE GAME!!!!

Knighten is behind in the count (1-2), then singles through the right side. 
Romero smacks a HR into the LF stands on the first pitch... 
GAME OVER!!!!!

Best ending of any game of the NCAA post season!
Just fantastic!

------------------------------------------

Btw... I have seen a lot of people say that Oklahoma was down to their last out (or even their last strike)... 
but that just is NOT what happened.

Tulsa did not get a single Oklahoma batter out - in the bottom of the tenth.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did that team respond to being put into a tough situation... 
OR WHAT???!!!

Best finish of a game I have ever seen!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But in EG's mind... 
they were... l u c k y.

Stirke eight!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #103 
<< There is the other side of the equation that hasn't been discussed in the Gasso shift conversation. 
What about the outs that were recorded that would have been hits if Oklahoma was in a regular defense or in the shift that leaves the outfield in place? I would think those outs may have saved a few runs. >> (MadDogsDad)

That is the whole point of the shift. 
She doesn't employ it just for fun (or just to piss off EG)...
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #104 
<< Vacating the left fielder???????

I guess I missed that one.

Only time I have ever seen two OFs in MLB is in walk-off situations where any ball hit farther than 250 ends the game and a fifth INF can help get an inning-ending DP or force at the plate >> (3LT)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3LT - back in the late 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and even into 1960... 
there was this guy that played ML baseball by the name of... 
TED WILLIAMS.

You should check him out.

He was pretty good.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #105 
<< PG has elite RH hitters, some of the best in the country.  Don't you think they might have tried it in practice before waking up one day and just deciding to try it in a game, much less a regional final? >> (TheNarrator)

Gasso charts what hitters do against all of her pitchers (in practices and games). Most coaches do this. 
When the stats made it clear - that right handed batters ALMOST NEVER hit a ball into the left field area against Lowary... 
Patty decided she might as well try and take advantage of that fact. Thus the shift became a reality. 
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #106 
<< There are dozens of coaches in the past who have had much more dominant pitching, and from 40 feet. So they are all just not as smart as Gasso? >> (3LT)

They may have been as smart as Patty... 
but they were not as smart and courageous as Patty. 
Some people are simply too afraid to go against the norm - or expected behavior. 
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #107 
<< You don't need to re-invent the wheel, college coaches try to be too cute. The game has been around for 200 years and Gasso isn't coming up with anything new. >> (EG)

First you say - "you don't need to re-invent the wheel"... 
then you say - "Gasso isn't coming up with anything new"... 

Well which is it, great swami..???

Are you saying she is an idiot for trying to come up with something new..???
Or - are you saying - she isn't coming up with something new...???

Try and get your story straight!

Are we up to nine strikes now...??

Geez... you've retired the side - all by yourself!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #108 
<< The Oklahoma Shift makes complete sense. If you hear the announcers explain it I think it's a great idea. Because Lowary throws so hard and she jams hitters, Not to mention she is a dropball pitcher that gets a lot of groundball outs. Because she throws so hard it is very unlikely that someone can pull the ball because most hitters have trouble getting bat on ball at that speed, She is throwing them inside which means it is going to the left side and she is throwing a dropball which is hard to get more than a groundball off of. With all of those combined it makes sense that you bring in another fielder so that you are able to get more coverage. >> (Stanford Softball)

It is good to see the others here... who understand what is going on.

It's all about playing the odds. 
Pretty much like any other strategy.
If it works often enough - it is a good strategy.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #109 
<< This gimmic will never win a single game for OK but, it most certainly can lose games. >> (outofzone)

You have absolutely no idea - if it has won games for them - or not.
The number of batters who have gotten out - just on the pure psychological battle of facing it (let alone Lowary's physical ability to stifle those right handed batters) is certainly bringing much greater success to Paige Lowary than she ever saw before the shift was a part of her game.

Your jump to such a huge conclusion - is baseless.




HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #110 
<< And when that happens (Oklahoma loses a crucial game because the shift gets beat) it will be interesting to hear the excuses. >> (outofzone)

This is just a red herring.

It matters not at all - if the shift results in a crucial loss... 
if it is working the vast percentage of the time.

Basing your use of a strategy on the whiny chirping of Monday morning quarterbacks... 
would be a much worse transgression - than trying to use something new - that works.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #111 
<< People defending vacating left field is baffling! >> (EG)

If you listen closely... 
you can hear EG saying... 
The earth is flat. The earth is flat. The earth is flat.

Ten strikes!

That must be a new record!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #112 
<< In the Williams shift there appears to be about 190 feet from the leftfielder to the fence. Pretty apparent they pulled the leftfielder in to be a deep shortstop. Sorry if you are unable to understand that. Pretty apparent from your short time here that you're probably not able to. >> (TheNarrator)

Pow!

TheNarrator delivers a powerful left hook to the chin...
And down goes EG..!!

Responding to a reporter in the locker room afterward... 
EG says... "I never saw it comin', Ma."
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #113 
Great picture, Scupino.

Thanks for posting it.
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #114 
The pic pretty much ran him off. Old school softball dad that knows nothing about the current game.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
Speedy17

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #115 
Gasso is backed up by the stats by the way.  Only twice in the entire season was the shift beaten, once by Texas and once by Tulsa.  I agree it should not have been on at the time against Tulsa because Lowrey had pitched 8+ innings in the game and her velocity had dropped from 73 to 66. 
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 611
Reply with quote  #116 
<< notice the flight of the ball. It worked real well there didn't it? >> (EG)

ElGarfio's comment above was about the picture that Scupino posted - which shows Ted Williams beating the shift by hitting a drive into the vacated left field area. 

After this game, Lou Boudreau (the HOF shortstop/player manager of the Indians) was asked how he felt about Ted Williams beating the shift that Boudreau had employed to try and thwart Williams (who loved to pull the ball). Lou responded by saying... What do ya mean? The shift worked. Ted only got a triple on that drive into LF. He hit two HR to RF in the first game... so I'd say we stopped him pretty good.

Btw... even though Ted could have continued to hit the ball to LF against the shift - Ted (being a proud and stubborn fellow) preferred to try and hit right through the shift - which he still managed to do with relatively good success (though not as much as if the shift hadn't been there).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is another great story about Ted Williams (who many consider the best hitter who ever lived). Ted loved to pull the ball - because he saw that as the best way for him to hit the ball over the fence. But they say he could hit the ball pretty much any where he wanted. One day, after some reporter had savaged Williams in a local paper, Ted saw this reporter talking to someone in the stands down the left field line... maybe 50 feet beyond the third base area. 

Ted hit four consecutive foul line shots in the general vicinity of the reporter... just to let him know what he thought of his article.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.