Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 3 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
Truscoop

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #61 
Opinions are fine. But I did watch mommie dearest on tv. She was physically violent. It would suck to put a violent label on someone who isn't That's my opinion
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,457
Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusayin


Nope, the last year JR coached and the first year RH coached they were essentially the same team.  Except they lost A LOT more games, the Stanford archives seem to be conveniently down right now, otherwise I'd get specific.  


Just as I said after the dust settled the cabinets were bare doesn't mean the following year. There was still a lot of turmoil going on the year after Rittman was gone.
SBrules

Registered:
Posts: 397
Reply with quote  #63 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
I highly doubt Barnhill seriously considered Stanford.  It was Florida and Rocha all the way.  And...once again, POST your handle, stop being an unregistered sissy.


Incredibly, incredibly, incredibly FALSE!!!!!
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,457
Reply with quote  #64 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrules
Incredibly, incredibly, incredibly FALSE!!!!!


Yes I was told that earlier...but she is at Florida, so the Stanford education was not that much of a pull otherwise she would have gone there no matter what.
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrules


Incredibly, incredibly, incredibly FALSE!!!!!


I don't think Kelly considered anywhere, if you follow what I'm saying. And she definitely took her official to Stanford but how that official went would pretty much tell you she wasn't ever interested (at least after Rtitman left).
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #66 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered


Except Hoover was gone to LSU, Stevens was at OU and Schreyer was hurt most of Hanson's first year. That left Snyder and Kylie Sorenson, the SS, having to pitch. Your right. Same team[rolleyes].  One cannot blame Hanson for the last two years. The cupboard was bare in the most essential position...pitching!

I will admit I think Hanson was in over her head but nobody wanted to touch that program with a 10 foot pole.


Exactly how much did Hoover pitch at Stanford?
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 4,121
Reply with quote  #67 
I've banged this drum before. IMHO a kid is getting bad advice and/or making a bad choice if they turn down a Stanford degree due to anything related to playing softball. A florida or other state-school degree pales in comparison.
__________________
"Separate subjects. Moral equivalency dilemma solved. Thanks for playing."
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,457
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyGrayce
I've banged this drum before. IMHO a kid is getting bad advice and/or making a bad choice if they turn down a Stanford degree due to anything related to playing softball. A florida or other state-school degree pales in comparison.



Yep!  Lol, I have actually agreed with you twice in 2 or 3 days now.
Jusayin

Registered:
Posts: 93
Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered


Except Hoover was gone to LSU, Stevens was at OU and Schreyer was hurt most of Hanson's first year. That left Snyder and Kylie Sorenson, the SS, having to pitch. Your right. Same team[rolleyes].  One cannot blame Hanson for the last two years. The cupboard was bare in the most essential position...pitching!

I will admit I think Hanson was in over her head but nobody wanted to touch that program with a 10 foot pole.


1. Hoover only pitched 10 innings in JR's final year before medical redshirt
2. Stevens left after the '13 season and pitched for OU during JR's final year
3. Schreyer was hurt much of JR's final season as well
4. Much of the pitching in JR's final season was done by SS Sorenson, 1B Erin Ashby and OF Tylyn Wells

The only senior to graduate was Danielle Miller who was injured.  So it was, in essence, the EXACT same team.

2014 - 30-25 (JR's last year)
2015 - 17-37 (Hanson's first year)


vol52

Registered:
Posts: 966
Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyGrayce
I've banged this drum before. IMHO a kid is getting bad advice and/or making a bad choice if they turn down a Stanford degree due to anything related to playing softball. A florida or other state-school degree pales in comparison.


I'm sure your opinion is correct in most cases, but it depends on what degree you want to pursue.  There is no school that is everything for everybody.

On the other hand, it has a strikingly beautiful campus.  
____________________
Steve Rhodes
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 4,121
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol52


I'm sure your opinion is correct in most cases, but it depends on what degree you want to pursue.  There is no school that is everything for everybody.

On the other hand, it has a strikingly beautiful campus.  
____________________
Steve Rhodes


Hey Steve I'm curious on what degrees you are referring to?

__________________
"Separate subjects. Moral equivalency dilemma solved. Thanks for playing."
Truscoop

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #72 
Cuz it's the first time I've googled and looked this stuff up
AustinSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 115
Reply with quote  #73 
Stanford is so clearly a top academic school is so many fields.  The size means that almost every single graduate has incredible opportunities.  The location of the Silicon Valley puts graduates on the cutting edge of the tech world.  I was there last year for a conference and every single student in the room had a startup idea, an app, and was light years away from other students I have observed.  If you were going to criticize the school, it might be that they do not push their students enough.  It is hard to get low grades.  Of course, there are better programs in a few fields, but not many.  I would say this school should be a top choice for any female athlete and I have known many in Basketball, Volleyball, and Softball who have gone on to do incredible things. The top guy in my high school class went there and is a leading research doctor in his field.  I find it incredible that many would turn this down.  
vol52

Registered:
Posts: 966
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyGrayce


Hey Steve I'm curious on what degrees you are referring to?


Well,  I have been a college prof in music for 39 years.  Stanford would have been of little benefit to me.  Some times potential students have to look who their major professor would be in their chosen area and choose from there.  There are many schools, all of which contain outstanding teachers in various fields.  No one school can be everything for everybody.  For instance, my place of employment is a small private university nationally ranked in the field of education.
___________________
Steve Rhodes
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 4,121
Reply with quote  #75 
I didn't realize that Stanford had no music program. I also predicated my statement on comparing Stanford to a state-school degree, not Williams. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.
__________________
"Separate subjects. Moral equivalency dilemma solved. Thanks for playing."
pabar61

Registered:
Posts: 9,140
Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyGrayce
I didn't realize that Stanford had no music program. I also predicated my statement on comparing Stanford to a state-school degree, not Williams. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.


As a side note and related to the music, I grew up in Palo Alto and went to many a Stanford football game in the late 60s and early 70s.  At that time, the Stanford marching band was simply incredible in terms of their musical talent and they were truly innovative and hilarious unlike the PC way they are now.

When Stanford was the Indians, before the football game started the marching band would play the fight song as they marched out of the end zone as Chief Lightfoot would do an awesome dance at the 50 yard line.  It was totally cool and totally respectful to Native Americans.  We revered that guy.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,457
Reply with quote  #77 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabar61


As a side note and related to the music, I grew up in Palo Alto and went to many a Stanford football game in the late 60s and early 70s.  At that time, the Stanford marching band was simply incredible in terms of their musical talent and they were truly innovative and hilarious unlike the PC way they are now.

When Stanford was the Indians, before the football game started the marching band would play the fight song as they marched out of the end zone as Chief Lightfoot would do an awesome dance at the 50 yard line.  It was totally cool and totally respectful to Native Americans.  We revered that guy.


Are Stanford band members known for getting run over in the end zone?
Ladera96DD

Registered:
Posts: 206
Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol52
Well,  I have been a college prof in music for 39 years.  Stanford would have been of little benefit to me.  Some times potential students have to look who their major professor would be in their chosen area and choose from there.  There are many schools, all of which contain outstanding teachers in various fields.  No one school can be everything for everybody.  For instance, my place of employment is a small private university nationally ranked in the field of education.

Considering she is a Public Relations Major at UF, the Stanford Communications Department is highly regarded as one of the best in the country... further considering, in HS she served as VP of her school’s model UN group, Stanford's International relations department is even more regarded... 

__________________
Proud Tiger Dad! http://towsontigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7222&path=softball
pabar61

Registered:
Posts: 9,140
Reply with quote  #79 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


Are Stanford band members known for getting run over in the end zone?


Only one that I know of!  Ruined John Elway's last college game.
vol52

Registered:
Posts: 966
Reply with quote  #80 
Just to clarify,  there is a music department at Stanford, just not what I would consider as it's best offering.  

And, yes, I remember enjoying watching the Stanford band at half time back in the 70's... very unique.  Unfortunately, not so much now.

Obviously Stanford is an outstanding school in many areas.  No disparagement meant at all.
_________________
Steve Rhodes
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,009
Reply with quote  #81 
Strangely enough, if we are looking at "rankings" for the degree I obtained, the school across the Bay would've been a better choice (as it's currently ranked the #1 US school (by TopUniversity's rankings) for my degree ... nudging out Harvard).
DunninLA

Registered:
Posts: 4,773
Reply with quote  #82 
Are we really on page 3 of this thread and haven't mentioned that shameless scoundrel Mike White whose seminal activity coalesced the already discontent whining parents around a witch hunt?

I just cannot turn the other cheek while White continues on, having shat upon a good man and coach because of a lack of PT for his IMO talent deprived daughter.

__________________
qui tacet consentire videtur
DunninLA

Registered:
Posts: 4,773
Reply with quote  #83 
P.S.  hard to blame a coach who was and is under qualified for the job when more qualified candidates turned it down.   Better to focus discontent upon the bungling AD, because once he scorched that earth, the current coach was as good as Stanford could ever hope to get.
__________________
qui tacet consentire videtur
CoachB25

Registered:
Posts: 214
Reply with quote  #84 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA
P.S.  hard to blame a coach who was and is under qualified for the job when more qualified candidates turned it down.   Better to focus discontent upon the bungling AD, because once he scorched that earth, the current coach was as good as Stanford could ever hope to get.


Solid post!

__________________
Those mountains in front of you will seem like little hills when you are beyond them and they are in the past!
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #85 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol52
Just to clarify,  there is a music department at Stanford, just not what I would consider as it's best offering.  

And, yes, I remember enjoying watching the Stanford band at half time back in the 70's... very unique.  Unfortunately, not so much now.

Obviously Stanford is an outstanding school in many areas.  No disparagement meant at all.
_________________
Steve Rhodes


I know it has nothing to do with softball, but I enthusiastically agree regarding the Stanford band of better times.  It was always worth going to or watching Stanford Football just to see what they would do.

One Saturday when Stanford was playing USC, during the early days of minimum gpa and SAT requirements for football players, they came on the field on national TV and spelled out "NCAA 2.6" (the minimum GPA requirement of the day).  Then they scrambled a little and spelled out "DAVIS .26" (Anthony Davis was the star USC Tailback that year.)

Their irreverence was always entertaining.

Too bad they have fallen victim to the necessity for political correctness.


Mangler

Registered:
Posts: 203
Reply with quote  #86 
Stanford coaches have a hard time filling their slots with quality players in the first place. Besides the competition from other PAC12 schools, the academic requirements limit who they can and cant take. But, and I do not know that coach, a coach makes the team and is ultimately responsible.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,457
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA
Are we really on page 3 of this thread and haven't mentioned that shameless scoundrel Mike White whose seminal activity coalesced the already discontent whining parents around a witch hunt?

I just cannot turn the other cheek while White continues on, having shat upon a good man and coach because of a lack of PT for his IMO talent deprived daughter.



Hi DunninLA!!  I totally forgot about that part...is the whole thing with Nyree White where it all started?
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #88 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA
Are we really on page 3 of this thread and haven't mentioned that shameless scoundrel Mike White whose seminal activity coalesced the already discontent whining parents around a witch hunt?

I just cannot turn the other cheek while White continues on, having shat upon a good man and coach because of a lack of PT for his IMO talent deprived daughter.


At the risk of derailing this thread a little, if you can find the answer to the following:  

By what machinations does a person  whose only coaching experience is a couple of years as an assistant coach working with pitchers, first leave his post as the assistant, then suddenly replace the fired coach whom he worked under, and inherit a cabinet half full of All- Conference and All-American players? 


...then you may be onto the typical MO of Mike White. 
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 772
Reply with quote  #89 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered


At the risk of derailing this thread a little, if you can find the answer to the following:  

By what machinations does a person  whose only coaching experience is a couple of years as an assistant coach working with pitchers, first leave his post as the assistant, then suddenly replace the fired coach whom he worked under, and inherit a cabinet half full of All- Conference and All-American players? 


...then you may be onto the typical MO of Mike White. 


This was my post.  Don't know how it came up as "unregistered"
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,009
Reply with quote  #90 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA
I just cannot turn the other cheek while White continues on, having shat upon a good man and coach because of a lack of PT for his IMO talent deprived daughter.


Well when you come back Dunnin, you come back strong!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.