Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
softballfan24

Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #1 
New topic for Stanford. Hopefully Allister can get this program back to the days of Jess Mendoza and Dana Sorensen. 


Any news coming out of the Farm?
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 15,856
Reply with quote  #2 
McCallister.... oy
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,906
Reply with quote  #3 
What happened to Allister? [confused]
softballfan24

Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
McCallister.... oy


LOL. Fixed it!
softballfan24

Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal
What happened to Allister? [confused]

Typo - my bad! 
d4cohn

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballfan24
New topic for Stanford. Hopefully Allister can get this program back to the days of Jess Mendoza and Dana Sorensen. 


Any news coming out of the Farm?


Coach Allister has a fantastic recruiting class coming in that matches up well with the top programs in the Pac. 

I hope that the core talent of the team, which consists of a strong junior class, Maddy Dwyer, and this incoming freshman class, is enough to at least have us in contention for the postseason this year.
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 959
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4cohn


Coach Allister has a fantastic recruiting class coming in that matches up well with the top programs in the Pac. 

I hope that the core talent of the team, which consists of a strong junior class, Maddy Dwyer, and this incoming freshman class, is enough to at least have us in contention for the postseason this year.


Didn't they have significant injury problems last season?  If so, do you know how the healing process is going?
d4cohn

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg


Didn't they have significant injury problems last season?  If so, do you know how the healing process is going?


Yes, Montana Dixon was essentially lost for the year during the first Pac-12 game against Utah (arm/hand injury; I think a break). Maddy was hurt off-and-on for just about all of Pac-12 play. Alyssa Horeczko was also in-and-out of the lineup with injuries. 

Montana was leading the team in just about every offensive category, and her defense was also fantastic before she got hurt. Once Carolyn Lee started to pitch better, along with the emergence of Nikki Bauer, we were able to survive Maddy's injuries, relatively speaking. However, there was no replacement for Montana, as her fill-in was really only able to get on base, and not hit for any power. 

The team was light on power to begin with last year, so losing Montana was a massive blow from which the team really couldn't recover.

As far as I know, I think all of the players are recovering well from the injuries. We will still be thin on infield depth this season, but overall, the depth will be much improved this season.

The question is will we have enough power in the lineup to contend?
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 959
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4cohn


Yes, Montana Dixon was essentially lost for the year during the first Pac-12 game against Utah (arm/hand injury; I think a break). Maddy was hurt off-and-on for just about all of Pac-12 play. Alyssa Horeczko was also in-and-out of the lineup with injuries. 

Montana was leading the team in just about every offensive category, and her defense was also fantastic before she got hurt. Once Carolyn Lee started to pitch better, along with the emergence of Nikki Bauer, we were able to survive Maddy's injuries, relatively speaking. However, there was no replacement for Montana, as her fill-in was really only able to get on base, and not hit for any power. 

The team was light on power to begin with last year, so losing Montana was a massive blow from which the team really couldn't recover.

As far as I know, I think all of the players are recovering well from the injuries. We will still be thin on infield depth this season, but overall, the depth will be much improved this season.

The question is will we have enough power in the lineup to contend?


Thanks, I am a big Allister fan and anticipate much success for Stanford going forward.
Scupino

Registered:
Posts: 397
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballfan24
New topic for Stanford. Hopefully Allister can get this program back to the days of Jess Mendoza and Dana Sorensen. 


Any news coming out of the Farm?

U failed to mention T. Gerhart and M. Penna who has a school record of 37 wins.
Which hurler had 40 complete games in a season?
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 15,856
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballfan24


LOL. Fixed it!
great Black Mirror episode though!
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 757
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scupino

U failed to mention T. Gerhart and M. Penna who has a school record of 37 wins.
Which hurler had 40 complete games in a season?


Ooooh. Good get, scup.
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 1,260
Reply with quote  #13 
I've said this before on Stanford. Stanford has the megabucks...And when I say, megabucks...I mean megabucks…. Why they can't they get their house in order with softball is beyond me.
-
Question, did Stanford get into the top 20 rankings last year, at any time?

Maybe this is the year they get the ship upright? 
-
Stanford has all the resources and more and should be a top 20 program...Enough of the shenanigans...
d4cohn

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin22
I've said this before on Stanford. Stanford has the megabucks...And when I say, megabucks...I mean megabucks…. Why they can't they get their house in order with softball is beyond me.
-
Question, did Stanford get into the top 20 rankings last year, at ant time?

Maybe this is the year they get the ship upright? 
-
Stanford has all the resources and more and should be a top 20 program...Enough of the shenanigans...


The ship is being righted. I feel bad for this and last year's seniors, but just about all of them were never developed into Pac-12 caliber players by the previous staff. The lack of player development by the previous staff is kind of remarkable.

If you want to see the progress that has been made by Coach Allister and her staff, look at the pitching numbers for last year, compared with the pitching numbers the previous three years under the previous administration.

The team in 2020 will be filled with Pac-12 caliber talent. Let's see if they can do something in the intervening year.

Coach Allister also just completed her first year, so let's give her at least a little bit of time to build something.
BStandby

Registered:
Posts: 85
Reply with quote  #15 
Actually she has her work cut out for her, the pitching stats for the freshman were great in the pre-season but was hit hard in conference which is where she has to compete.  I think Allister will do a great job but it will take at least 4 years.


__________________
Bob...
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,906
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin22
I've said this before on Stanford. Stanford has the megabucks...And when I say, megabucks...I mean megabucks…. Why they can't they get their house in order with softball is beyond me.
-
Question, did Stanford get into the top 20 rankings last year, at any time?

Maybe this is the year they get the ship upright? 
-
Stanford has all the resources and more and should be a top 20 program...Enough of the shenanigans...


Shenanigans? it was a dumpster fire before and never got better with the last set of coaches. no one good wanted to go there, even if it was Stanford. Now that Allister is there, at the farm, the farm will get back to farming good players. 

as far as top twenty. they were barely a top 100 team. I still don't see a top twenty team this next year, but they'll make a big stride. 
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 669
Reply with quote  #17 
Stanford's RPI was 105 last year 83 the year before with Hanson. Their team conference OPS was an anemic .493 compared with .590 the year before. They lost a couple of decent players in Bertoy and Noll but the 2017 FR class with Dwyer was rated top 30 by flo softball. There were some injuries as well, but overall not the improvement many people thought there would be.

As far as Hanson being unable to attract good players, their 2016 class with Bauer, Inouye and Dixon was rated 14 by flo softball and Inouye and Dixon were recruited by a bevy of top schools. Dwyer (2017) also, was a target of top 20 schools. As far as Allister's recruiting, I dont know how much the 2018 class is hers vs Hanson's but it is a good class, ranked 17 on fs. No impact pitcher, though, and I dont see one all the way through 2021, although I'm sure Allister is still working on those 2019+ classes.

There are bright spots though. They improved their conference ERA from 8.15 to 5.84 (and the newcomer Dwyer's was 10.18 so it was improvement from the other pitchers). They also improved their fielding pct to .974 (2nd in the pac).

With the young core of position players they have, along with those from this year's class, if they don't improve offensively, something is terribly wrong. The pitching is what will hold them back. With no impact pitcher(s) coming in, and transfers unlikely, it will be tough to be a pac-competitve or top 25 team.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,519
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585
Stanford's RPI was 105 last year 83 the year before with Hanson. Their team conference OPS was an anemic .493 compared with .590 the year before. They lost a couple of decent players in Bertoy and Noll but the 2017 FR class with Dwyer was rated top 30 by flo softball. There were some injuries as well, but overall not the improvement many people thought there would be.

As far as Hanson being unable to attract good players, their 2016 class with Bauer, Inouye and Dixon was rated 14 by flo softball and Inouye and Dixon were recruited by a bevy of top schools. Dwyer (2017) also, was a target of top 20 schools. As far as Allister's recruiting, I dont know how much the 2018 class is hers vs Hanson's but it is a good class, ranked 17 on fs. No impact pitcher, though, and I dont see one all the way through 2021, although I'm sure Allister is still working on those 2019+ classes.

There are bright spots though. They improved their conference ERA from 8.15 to 5.84 (and the newcomer Dwyer's was 10.18 so it was improvement from the other pitchers). They also improved their fielding pct to .974 (2nd in the pac).

With the young core of position players they have, along with those from this year's class, if they don't improve offensively, something is terribly wrong. The pitching is what will hold them back. With no impact pitcher(s) coming in, and transfers unlikely, it will be tough to be a pac-competitve or top 25 team.


Yeah I also did not think they improved much if at all.
Mark_H

Registered:
Posts: 884
Reply with quote  #19 
Give her time. It's not a quick fix at a school where you pretty much can't bring in transfers. She's done it before and she will do it here I'm sure. This isn't like an Auburn where a Myers can throw transfers at the problem. With the way early commitments have been it was always going to take many years to address the problem. The recruiting rules change can only help Stanford hopefully shortening that process. If injuries can be avoided I'm sure they will be much better this next season which will be fifth since the AD's Rittman debacle.
__________________
Mark H
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.