Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
pitch

Registered:
Posts: 1,538
Reply with quote  #1 
ESPN analyst picks Washington to win softball title

ESPN softball analyst Stacey Nuveman, a past college player of the year as a catcher at UCLA and a gold medalist at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, answers questions about the Women's College World Series that starts Thursday:

Q: Which team in the field of eight is your favorite?

A: I actually made the proclamation on ESPN Sunday night that I am picking the Huskies to go all the way. I like the way they are playing right now, with a lot of confidence and poise.

The UW offense is explosive and balanced throughout the lineup, which you have to have at this point in the season. I think Danielle Lawrie is the best pitcher in the country when she's on, and I expect her to lead Washington all the way.
AZSBFAN

Registered:
Posts: 1,541
Reply with quote  #2 
Best of luck to the DWAGS! 
cyberfox

Registered:
Posts: 3,564
Reply with quote  #3 
She played in the PAC 10. Do you think she would pick Florida, the favorite?
DunninLA

Registered:
Posts: 5,145
Reply with quote  #4 
I agree cyberfox.

After seeing Florida and Udub play twice now, I've got Florida as about a 75% chance and Udub as about 25%, if they are the two in the finals.

__________________
qui tacet consentire videtur
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,517
Reply with quote  #5 
Nuve wouldn't pick a winner in a one-horse race. If she said Washington, I missed it because every time she's been asked (multiple times) from the selection show forward the answer has been some version of, 'They're all good.'

I'm surprised she didn't pick UCLA. This would be the first time ever.
Pudge

Registered:
Posts: 4,188
Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox
She played in the PAC 10. Do you think she would pick Florida, the favorite?

I said the same thing! The last line of the story tells it all. When did UW get an "explosive offense that is balanced throughout the lineup"? There are more holes in the UW offense than Florida's!

Nice try Nuve! I guess I will have to Tweet you about this.

__________________
Softball is my passion!
cyberfox

Registered:
Posts: 3,564
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler
Nuve wouldn't pick a winner in a one-horse race. If she said Washington, I missed it because every time she's been asked (multiple times) from the selection show forward the answer has been some version of, 'They're all good.'

I'm surprised she didn't pick UCLA. This would be the first time ever.


She said it.  She is picking UCLA to win next year.
pitch

Registered:
Posts: 1,538
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
If she said Washington, I missed it


Click the link in the first post and read the article for yourself.
Keep in mind, too, that she was speaking with a Seattle PI newspaper reporter.
UCSF

Registered:
Posts: 871
Reply with quote  #9 
Nuveman's USA national squad got beat by High School Senior at the 2005 USA Softball World Cup Tournament with Danielle Lawrie in the circle for Team Canadian.  It has been clear for a long time that Dani is a special athlete with the talent to lead the Huskies to a national championship.   I am out of it though, when did Dani switch to the Jet black doo?  Nothing wrong with it, it is a good look. 

As for the broadcasters, I am just glad the volume is usually off in the employee lounge -  other wise I got no TV at the farm.  Nice that ESPN uno is braodcasting all the games.   My money is on the Dawgs but I aint counting out 'Bama yet.
AZSBFAN

Registered:
Posts: 1,541
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSF
Nuveman's USA national squad got beat by High School Senior at the 2005 USA Softball World Cup Tournament with Danielle Lawrie in the circle for Team Canadian.  It has been clear for a long time that Dani is a special athlete with the talent to lead the Huskies to a national championship.   I am out of it though, when did Dani switch to the Jet black doo?  Nothing wrong with it, it is a good look. 

As for the broadcasters, I am just glad the volume is usually off in the employee lounge -  other wise I got no TV at the farm.  Nice that ESPN uno is braodcasting all the games.   My money is on the Dawgs but I aint counting out 'Bama yet.

Lawrie switched hair color earlier this year.
FutureDawg

Registered:
Posts: 32
Reply with quote  #11 
I don't think any of these 'experts' really follow college softball during the season.  It was obvious in the regionals and supers that they were reading from press releases and had little firsthand information - it was all very 'scripted'.  But Michele Smith's prediction (from the selection show) of a UW-FL final could be about to come true.  Bama & GA have both shown amazing resilience & guts, and their team comraderie and enthusiasm for the game is inspiring to watch.  They've given me numerous opportunities to turn to my DD and say 'there, you see that, that's what it means to be part of a team'.  Unfortunately, both are going up against superior (and rested)  pitching and CWS experience today.  'Bama, being one of 3 teams to have beaten FL this year, might have a slight momentum edge, but Nelson will be hard to overcome if she's on (and when isn't she on?). 

Looking ahead, a UW-FL final series will be the pitchers duel for the ages.  Lawrie vs. Nelson, best 2 pitchers in the country, 2 of the 3 POY finalists.  On paper, you can't deny Florida's creds, but watching UW all season, they seem to find a way to win when it counts. 

Unfortunately, my DD has games on Monday and Wednesday this week, so we'll have to watch games 1 & 3 after the fact.  We love watching softball, but we love playing it even more.

OUsoftball

Registered:
Posts: 988
Reply with quote  #12 
Yeah at this point, U-dub looks like the clear favorite. I like them.
Edge

Registered:
Posts: 464
Reply with quote  #13 

I have a question a little off the mark but concerning Georgia in the future, is Whitney Owens redshirting? Am I just missing her? Is she going to pitch next year. Just curious as I have seen her pitch at her younger ages and she  pitched against my daughter several times.

Athensfan

Registered:
Posts: 434
Reply with quote  #14 
Prowler....
Put that is your pipe and smoke it.


CmonBluuuuue

Registered:
Posts: 271
Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athensfan
Prowler....
Put that is your pipe and smoke it.



Give Pudge a smoke too.
mojobrown

Registered:
Posts: 81
Reply with quote  #16 
Methinks Prowler and Pudge have smoked enough already. Hopefully they've put the pipe down.
toroman

Registered:
Posts: 1,203
Reply with quote  #17 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athensfan
Prowler....
Put that is your pipe and smoke it.


wow ATHENSFAN
a little gloating???
Is it hard to be humble???
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.