Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 524
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Her twitter confirmed it. Said " I am beyond blessed to wear orange and blue thank you coach for believing in me"


Auburn is orange and blue....just sayin'
powder

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
I suppose it's because softball hasn't gotten to the point where advanced data gathering is cost effective, but it is interesting how "1980s" softball is compared to where baseball is today.  I assume (hope!) coaches are doing more than simply looking at fielding percentage to decide how good a defender someone is.  I've personally seen players who commit hardly any errors but really aren't all that good defensively, if you look at their positioning, ability to track, etc., and how many hits they allow on balls in play that should be turned into outs.

Not applying this specifically to UF or any team in the SEC, but an observation that the current softball defensive stats we all can view sometimes have precious little to do with how good or bad a player or team is defensively.


So, in other words, it is just someone's subjective opinion.
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 570
Reply with quote  #33 
I'm saying there's much more data in baseball to objectively assess defensive ability than the traditional fielding percentage + eyeball test that seems to be the way SB fans/coaches view it.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,906
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
I suppose it's because softball hasn't gotten to the point where advanced data gathering is cost effective, but it is interesting how "1980s" softball is compared to where baseball is today.  I assume (hope!) coaches are doing more than simply looking at fielding percentage to decide how good a defender someone is.  I've personally seen players who commit hardly any errors but really aren't all that good defensively, if you look at their positioning, ability to track, etc., and how many hits they allow on balls in play that should be turned into outs.

Not applying this specifically to UF or any team in the SEC, but an observation that the current softball defensive stats we all can view sometimes have precious little to do with how good or bad a player or team is defensively.


I agree, seen too many defenders that hesitate too long and could easily have made plays. But instead don't come close to getting to a ball.
Goober12

Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ


Why?


I've heard some rumors. I hope she makes an announcement soon! 

__________________
[smile]
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,258
Reply with quote  #36 
Yep, hearing those same rumors as well.

Oh well!

Edit: It's official on her Instagram. Congratulations to Miss Saile! She deserves it.
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 443
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan
Yep, hearing those same rumors as well.

Oh well!

Edit: It's official on her Instagram. Congratulations to Miss Saile! She deserves it.


What is her instagram?
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 15,859
Reply with quote  #38 
Could it be a third year in a row that a pitcher closes out the title game for a team she didn't sign her original LOI with?
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,258
Reply with quote  #39 
It was in her bio, which is now deleted.
upontop

Registered:
Posts: 160
Reply with quote  #40 
Congrats to Miss Saile. She will be a great addition to their pitching staff. She should definitely help them compete to get back to OKC
Daddylawman

Registered:
Posts: 225
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upontop
Congrats to Miss Saile. She will be a great addition to their pitching staff. She should definitely help them compete to get back to OKC


At least it will be a short trip
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,720
Reply with quote  #42 
Not trying to be a wise guy, because I know from board conversation that Saile was seen as the biggest transfer get of the off-season. But does this make OU a top 5 or top 3 contender -- or what?

If this is fact, OU has Saile, Lopez, Vestal and Conrad as primary starters. Is Saile the No. 1? Is this enough pitching to seriously contend?

__________________
"We Americans have good teeth and don't eat spotted dick." -- Columnist Kurt Schlichter
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,519
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
Not trying to be a wise guy, because I know from board conversation that Saile was seen as the biggest transfer get of the off-season. But does this make OU a top 5 or top 3 contender -- or what?

If this is fact, OU has Saile, Lopez, Vestal and Conrad as primary starters. Is Saile the No. 1? Is this enough pitching to seriously contend?



Well since history shows that teams have won with one pitcher quite often, then of course, rah!
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,277
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upontop
Congrats to Miss Saile. She will be a great addition to their pitching staff. She should definitely help them compete to get back to OKC


I think the Sooners we're headed back regardless. Still, great addition.
Oger

Registered:
Posts: 73
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


I think the Sooners we're headed back regardless. Still, great addition.

Sooners will lead the nation in scoring again but their pitching was going to be a huge question mark. Lopez is a good pitcher but she wasn't used much against top competition. Vestal has a ton of talent but will she be mentally ready for big time college ball? Conrad has potential but will she be consistent? If Oklahoma does get Saile she will bring a lot of confidence because she definitely believes in her game. I can see her becoming the #1.
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 443
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger

Sooners will lead the nation in scoring again but their pitching was going to be a huge question mark. Lopez is a good pitcher but she wasn't used much against top competition. Vestal has a ton of talent but will she be mentally ready for big time college ball? Conrad has potential but will she be consistent? If Oklahoma does get Saile she will bring a lot of confidence because she definitely believes in her game. I can see her becoming the #1.


I know saile is great pitcher and all, but who really was her competition? The only good teams she beat that I can see are Florida and South Carolina.
upontop

Registered:
Posts: 160
Reply with quote  #47 
The only good teams are Florida and South Carolina? That’s two top ten teams, so not bad in my book, add the extra run production and better defense behind her and she has a higher ceiling than at FIU. A very good addition to the program for sure.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 15,859
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


I think the Sooners we're headed back regardless. Still, great addition.
Unlikely without Parker and Lowary.

Now, they have a legit shot if the stage isn't too big for their pitchers
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,519
Reply with quote  #49 
Her era was nearly half a run higher in 2018 than 2017.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 15,859
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger

Sooners will lead the nation in scoring again but their pitching was going to be a huge question mark.
Against good pitching, their offense was awful. Is this remotely debatable?
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 669
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
Not trying to be a wise guy, because I know from board conversation that Saile was seen as the biggest transfer get of the off-season. But does this make OU a top 5 or top 3 contender -- or what?

If this is fact, OU has Saile, Lopez, Vestal and Conrad as primary starters. Is Saile the No. 1? Is this enough pitching to seriously contend?


Pitching is a mixed bag.

Vestal - highly recruited, never saw her pitch and don't know what her contributions might be as a FR. If she's the ace, though, my guess is OK will have trouble (see Alexis Holloway).

Conrad - good #3 type addition and had some bright spots but she can't carry a team to the wcws

Lopez - she's good but she wouldn't be the #1 on any of the 2018 wcws teams (or even the #2 on 5 of them). S b e hasn't reached her potential yet but I dont see her at the same level as the top pitchers in the game.

Saile - probably the biggest transfer of the year. Was awesome against top 25 rpi teams (22ip, 2er, .636era) against Hofstra, FL, SC. But most of her innings were against rpi 90+ teams including particular bad outing's against Middle TN (rpi 105) and LA tech (rpi 96) with 17ip, 15er, 6.18era. I don't know how good she actually and if she can carry a team into and through the wcws when she couldn't even win the c-usa.

Overall my guess it will be "pitch by committee". With the offense they have they should win a lot of games. That staff is good. I'm just not sure they are good enough to compete with the teams they'll face in the wcws if they get that far.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,720
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Pitching is a mixed bag.

Vestal - highly recruited, never saw her pitch and don't know what her contributions might be as a FR. If she's the ace, though, my guess is OK will have trouble (see Alexis Holloway).

Conrad - good #3 type addition and had some bright spots but she can't carry a team to the wcws

Lopez - she's good but she wouldn't be the #1 on any of the 2018 wcws teams (or even the #2 on 5 of them). S b e hasn't reached her potential yet but I dont see her at the same level as the top pitchers in the game.

Saile - probably the biggest transfer of the year. Was awesome against top 25 rpi teams (22ip, 2er, .636era) against Hofstra, FL, SC. But most of her innings were against rpi 90+ teams including particular bad outing's against Middle TN (rpi 105) and LA tech (rpi 96) with 17ip, 15er, 6.18era. I don't know how good she actually and if she can carry a team into and through the wcws when she couldn't even win the c-usa.

Overall my guess it will be "pitch by committee". With the offense they have they should win a lot of games. That staff is good. I'm just not sure they are good enough to compete with the teams they'll face in the wcws if they get that far.


Fair enough. I think the challenge for OU will be hitting better against top pitching. With these arms I think Lombardy will have plenty to work with.

__________________
"We Americans have good teeth and don't eat spotted dick." -- Columnist Kurt Schlichter
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 443
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU


Fair enough. I think the challenge for OU will be hitting better against top pitching. With these arms I think Lombardy will have plenty to work with.


Yes. Their offense was great in 2017, but 2018 was a totally different story. Saile is a great pitcher, but yes she had terrible outings against RPI 90+ teams. Lombardi will develop her, though. 
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 443
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Pitching is a mixed bag.

Vestal - highly recruited, never saw her pitch and don't know what her contributions might be as a FR. If she's the ace, though, my guess is OK will have trouble (see Alexis Holloway).

Conrad - good #3 type addition and had some bright spots but she can't carry a team to the wcws

Lopez - she's good but she wouldn't be the #1 on any of the 2018 wcws teams (or even the #2 on 5 of them). S b e hasn't reached her potential yet but I dont see her at the same level as the top pitchers in the game.

Saile - probably the biggest transfer of the year. Was awesome against top 25 rpi teams (22ip, 2er, .636era) against Hofstra, FL, SC. But most of her innings were against rpi 90+ teams including particular bad outing's against Middle TN (rpi 105) and LA tech (rpi 96) with 17ip, 15er, 6.18era. I don't know how good she actually and if she can carry a team into and through the wcws when she couldn't even win the c-usa.

Overall my guess it will be "pitch by committee". With the offense they have they should win a lot of games. That staff is good. I'm just not sure they are good enough to compete with the teams they'll face in the wcws if they get that far.


Agree 100%. Saile is a great pitcher, but she needs to develop more, and Lombardi should be able to do that this offseason. Can't wait to see how they do in 2 years when they lose their entire offense.
Wellduh

Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #55 
Isn’t Lopez like 35-1 in her 2 years at OU? That doesn’t sound like a #3 to me... 😂😂just sayin!
Oger

Registered:
Posts: 73
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Against good pitching, their offense was awful. Is this remotely debatable?

Nope. No argument from me. I am no fan JT Gasso.
Softballfan27
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion


Yes. Their offense was great in 2017, but 2018 was a totally different story. Saile is a great pitcher, but yes she had terrible outings against RPI 90+ teams. Lombardi will develop her, though. 
Softballfan27
Reply with quote  #58 
Seems like your a total Shannon Saile hater?
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,277
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan27
Seems like your a total Shannon Saile hater?


You're wrong. It's Oklahoma hater.
Oger

Registered:
Posts: 73
Reply with quote  #60 
Fact is Saile is a rough diamond that just needs some polishing and she'll get just that at Oklahoma. She beat Florida 5-0 with 9ks. You can't do that without some talent.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.