Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Phantomz27

Registered:
Posts: 161
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan04


[image]
Hey, SECfan04, what are you trying to say??
Gators2014

Registered:
Posts: 4,307
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan15
Got that one backwards. LA Tech wins 2-1


Glad this is the year that Florida visits Auburn. 
Gators2014

Registered:
Posts: 4,307
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ28

3 runs on 4 hits. Big f**k**g deal.




Does someone need a hug
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 805
Reply with quote  #34 
LSU announcers complaining about illegal pitches not being called on Bucknell's pitcher for stepping outside the lane.  Meanwhile, Kaylee Carlson made a career of it and I don't recall many SEC/ESPN announcers mentioning it on air.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 810
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
LSU announcers complaining about illegal pitches not being called on Bucknell's pitcher for stepping outside the lane.  Meanwhile, Kaylee Carlson made a career of it and I don't recall many SEC/ESPN announcers mentioning it on air.


To be fair she was completely out of the lane almost every pitch by a good bit, not that it mattered to the outcome.

Freshman Ali Kilponen gets a 2 hit, 6K shutout win in her debut in 5 innings


I haven't seen many illegal pitches called opening weekend so far
SoftballRules

Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #36 
What’s your point about Evans’s photo?
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 805
Reply with quote  #37 
To be fair, Kaylee Carlson was completely out of the lane almost every pitch she threw in her career.  Not that it mattered to the umpires.


SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 810
Reply with quote  #38 
North Carolina blanks South Carolina 4-0

Kentucky falls to Oklahoma state 8-7
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,309
Reply with quote  #39 
Is the SEC in decline?  
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 551
Reply with quote  #40 

LSU sweeps the Tiger Classic beating Iowa, Tulsa, and Bucknell in 6 5-inning run rule games. Combined totals of 73-2. Both runs given up were by Gorsuch & were ER (.56 era).

Arkansas goes undefeated in McNeese tournament. Combined score of 32-4. Storms gave up 4 runs, 3 earned (.61 ERA), Haff pitched 20 inning giving up 6 hits, 1 walk, and striking out 28.

Georgia posts a 4-1 record in Boca Raton. Beating St. Johns, FAU, Bethune Cookman, and Virgnia. Just falling short to Indiana. Combined score of 45-15. Team ERA of 2.75.

SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 810
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion

LSU sweeps the Tiger Classic beating Iowa, Tulsa, and Bucknell in 6 5-inning run rule games. Combined totals of 73-2. Both runs given up were by Gorsuch & were ER (.56 era).

Arkansas goes undefeated in McNeese tournament. Combined score of 32-4. Storms gave up 4 runs, 3 earned (.61 era).

Georgia posts a 4-1 record in Boca Raton. Beating St. Johns, FAU, Bethune Cookman, and Virgnia. Just falling short to Indiana. Combined score of 45-15. Team ERA of 2.75.



I honestly thought Sunseri, Wickersham and Kilponen looked better than Gorsuch opening weekend. 

Georgia should be very potent on offense this year, it comes down to the pitching. 

South Carolina is a bit of a head scratcher early, especially with what they returned
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 551
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan04


I honestly thought Sunseri, Wickersham and Kilponen looked better than Gorsuch opening weekend. 

Georgia should be very potent on offense this year, it comes down to the pitching. 

South Carolina is a bit of a head scratcher early, especially with what they returned


Agree with you on LSU. Gorsuch is just not as good as Sunseri, Wickersham, and Kilponen. I honestly think that Wickersham and Sunseri should be our Friday and Saturday starters. With a mix of Gorsuch ans Kilponen on Sunday.

Georgia looks rough on Pitching after giving up 6 runs to Indiana and 7 to Virginia. They need a better staff to get past the bats from Missouri, LSU, Alabama, and (possibly) South Carolina and Ole Miss.

South Carolina looked to be a high ranking team on paper, but so far they look like #25. They aren't playing up to expectation, might wonder what happened in the offseason.
Gators2014

Registered:
Posts: 4,307
Reply with quote  #43 
SEC teams who have been upset so far on opening weekend:

Georgia - Indiana
Auburn - Louisiana Tech, Missouri State
Texas A&M - North Texas
South Carolina - North Carolina, Baylor
Kentucky - Houston, Ok State, Illinois

Did I miss any?
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,231
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators2014
SEC teams who have been upset so far on opening weekend:

Georgia - Indiana
Auburn - Louisiana Tech, Missouri State
Texas A&M - North Texas
South Carolina - North Carolina, Baylor
Kentucky - Houston, Ok State, Illinois

Did I miss any?


On paper UGA losing to Indiana may be considered an upset. Not sure this one will turn out to be some anomaly with IU this year. 

Then again KY may want to take a sick day on Feb 14th...OK @ 4pm.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,527
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


On paper UGA losing to Indiana may be considered an upset. Not sure this one will turn out to be some anomaly with IU this year. 

Then again KY may want to take a sick day on Feb 14th...OK @ 4pm.


I’ve said this too. I think Indiana could be poised for a big year, and would’ve thought the same had UGA managed to somehow pull it out, but we didn’t. I think Lu left Avant in a little too long, but kudos to Indiana for bouncing back and bringing the punch at every turn.

Should be a fun year for them.
uga20

Registered:
Posts: 248
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


On paper UGA losing to Indiana may be considered an upset. Not sure this one will turn out to be some anomaly with IU this year. 

Then again KY may want to take a sick day on Feb 14th...OK @ 4pm.

Nice win by Indiana ..
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 810
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion


Agree with you on LSU. Gorsuch is just not as good as Sunseri, Wickersham, and Kilponen. I honestly think that Wickersham and Sunseri should be our Friday and Saturday starters. With a mix of Gorsuch ans Kilponen on Sunday.


I have a feeling Gorsuch gets the nod early mainly because of the experience but Sunseri, Wickersham and Kilponen pass her after getting more reps. 

Much like Hoover and Walljasper did to Corbello and Selman when they were freshmen. 
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 805
Reply with quote  #48 
Posted in Upsets thread as well:

SF Austin beat Mississippi State 1-0.  Freshman pitcher for SFA went 4-0 in 3 starts and a relief appearance.  Finished the 7th by striking out the side.  That's a pretty good weekend.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,762
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan04


I have a feeling Gorsuch gets the nod early mainly because of the experience but Sunseri, Wickersham and Kilponen pass her after getting more reps. 

Much like Hoover and Walljasper did to Corbello and Selman when they were freshmen. 


The SEC has a bunch of good, but not many great teams. It is much like all the other P5 conferences. Teams are good enough to beat anyone when at their best, but capable of losing to inferior opponents on any given day.

Don't know how much credence anyone should give to the wins and upsets of opening weekend. The season is long and it's too soon to predict how teams will fare in upcoming games.
john3298

Registered:
Posts: 257
Reply with quote  #50 
I was actually really surprised with how many SEC teams lost this weekend. Some of those losses were to teams I never would have expected. I think the SEC is still the strongest conference top to bottom, but if early results are indicative, I don't thing the SEC is going to be as dominant as they have been in the past. Last year it was essentially the SEC and Pac-12 (and Oklahoma), but the Big12, Big10, and ACC all had some pretty strong showings this weekend. Might be a more interesting year.
gatorbob

Registered:
Posts: 864
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators2014


Right after playing Michigan. Who else had a tougher day in the NCAA today. I'll wait.

Nice to have three to do it. I am sure that will be necessary again.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 810
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3298
I was actually really surprised with how many SEC teams lost this weekend. Some of those losses were to teams I never would have expected. I think the SEC is still the strongest conference top to bottom, but if early results are indicative, I don't thing the SEC is going to be as dominant as they have been in the past. Last year it was essentially the SEC and Pac-12 (and Oklahoma), but the Big12, Big10, and ACC all had some pretty strong showings this weekend. Might be a more interesting year.


Agreed. I was really surprised with Kentucky and South Carolina’s performances. Two teams I was personally expecting to have strong years with what they return. It is the opening weekend so not exactly sure how much I can conclude from everything

I’m not exactly sold on A&M and Auburn though.
dws3665

Registered:
Posts: 426
Reply with quote  #53 
Arkansas rode very strong pitching against some weaker teams -- perhaps minus McNeese, who is a solid team and was on their home field -- to have a solid opening weekend. Storms and Haff looked very good. The newcomers (Gibson at 2b, Jackson in the OF and DP, and Hicks at SS) all showed pretty well, all things considered (all things = opening weekend nerves, very cold temps, turf field). 

The things to keep an eye on are the defense, which improved over the weekend, but still committed six (!!!) errors in their first game, and the hitting against the better pitching they will see in Puerto Vallarta and and in the SEC. The games against UW and ND St in Mexico will be very illuminating.
Ccarr09

Registered:
Posts: 148
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uga20

Nice win by Indiana ..



I'm concerned, but not ready to freak out...yet....Avant gave up a 2-run HR late when she had an 0-2 count. And IU scored two runs on bunt singles..just need to clean a couple of things up and the game is very different..but pitching is a big concern, especially since Avant is the closest to an ace for us right now. 
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 810
Reply with quote  #55 

 

Quote:

SEC Player of the Week - Alabama's Kaylee Tow, a sophomore utility player from Madisonville, Ky., led the team in batting average (.692), hits (9), runs scored (9), doubles (3) and walks (6) as the Crimson Tide went 5-0 at the Trojan Classic. Tow recorded at least one hit, scored at least one run and drew at least one walk in all five games of the opening weekend.

SEC Pitcher of the Week - Florida's Kelly Barnhill, a senior right-hander from Marietta, Ga., registered four wins and a save as the Gators collected five wins at the USF Opening Weekend Invitational. Barnhill earned a complete game shutout over No. 19/14 Michigan and earned her fourth career save against No. 7/6 Arizona. For the week, she pitched 19.0 innings, fanned 26 batters, and recorded a 0.74 ERA.

SEC Freshman of the Week - LSU's Shelby Wickersham, a freshman right-handed pitcher from Metairie, La., put together a no-hitter against Iowa in the Tiger Classic. This marked the sixth no-hitter by a freshman and the second in a freshman debut in program history. In five innings of work, Wickersham struck out two batters to secure her first career win as a Tiger.



Congrats to the players of the week. Really shocking that Shelbi Sunseri didn't win player of the week with the weekend she had. 

 

UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,527
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan04

 



Congrats to the players of the week. Really shocking that Shelbi Sunseri didn't win player of the week with the weekend she had. 

 



Sunseri a far better pick IMO.
dws3665

Registered:
Posts: 426
Reply with quote  #57 
Impressive performance from Wickersham!! I would also hope that Arkansas's Maggie Hicks got some consideration. She hit .462 to lead the Hogs over the weekend and played error-free SS with a couple rather excellent defensive plays. 

But no complaints about Wickersham - what a great start to the season. 
uga20

Registered:
Posts: 248
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccarr09



I'm concerned, but not ready to freak out...yet....Avant gave up a 2-run HR late when she had an 0-2 count. And IU scored two runs on bunt singles..just need to clean a couple of things up and the game is very different..but pitching is a big concern, especially since Avant is the closest to an ace for us right now. 

I agree just hoping Alban and Mathis can get productive innings for us...
Gators2014

Registered:
Posts: 4,307
Reply with quote  #59 
Sunseri should've been player of the week but ok lol
Wilmer1

Registered:
Posts: 304
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators2014
Sunseri should've been player of the week but ok lol

Agree with you 100%.  My goodness.  The girl had 4 homeruns, 14 RBI's, batted .636, had a 1.909 slugging% and pitched 2 shut-outs with a 0.0 ERA.  What more does she have to do to get recognized?  Tow is a good player but her stats were nowhere near as impressive as this. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.