Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
freetime5

Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Did Betsa start against Washington?


Yes, she started and gave up 3 runs in 1st then Blanco pitched and allowed 9 runs best I remember.



Fresh

Registered:
Posts: 1,771
Reply with quote  #32 
Yep. Lasted 1/3 inning.
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #33 

Betsa got one strikeout (Stangel), but gave up four hits (Aguilar HR, Bates bunt, Flores, Van Zee 2-run dbl). She turned around and no-hit Fresno State.

Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #34 
UW post game presser:

Nedpics

Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #35 
Betsa did start the game, but only lasted 1/3 of an inning.  Hutchins pulled her because she felt Betsa did not have the confidence in her pitches. Hutchins says she knows her pitchers and made the right call. I expect that Betas will be feeling confident today and will give the Huskies all they can handle. No run rule today for the Huskies.
mindajane

Registered:
Posts: 2,145
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedpics
Betsa did start the game, but only lasted 1/3 of an inning.  Hutchins pulled her because she felt Betsa did not have the confidence in her pitches. Hutchins says she knows her pitchers and made the right call. I expect that Betas will be feeling confident today and will give the Huskies all they can handle. No run rule today for the Huskies.


Completely agree. I fully expect this to go to an if necessary and as rough as Alvelo looked yesterday, I have to be honest I'm really nervous!
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #37 
When Alvelo gets in trouble is when she leaves her rise in the zone and down the pipe. Result: two dingers. It needs to be in, out, or up.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,070
Reply with quote  #38 
Sounds like Oklahoma-Tulsa is going on ESPNU in a few minutes...
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #39 
Just announced Minny-Alabama will be on ESPNU in about half an hour. Where will Mich-Wash be (little over an hour later)?
mindajane

Registered:
Posts: 2,145
Reply with quote  #40 
My guess would be ESPN3 but I guess we'll see
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #41 
Tulsa-Oklahoma is on ESPNU right now. (Tulsa up 2-0 in the 2nd.)

They've pushed games to ESPNews in the past when they've had overlaps.

[Edit: To Tuscaloosa.]
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #42 
On ESPNews.

Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=175063
mindajane

Registered:
Posts: 2,145
Reply with quote  #43 
Washington leaving too many on base....
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #44 
Mich loaded them one too many times - Flores 2-run double. UW 4-2.
mindajane

Registered:
Posts: 2,145
Reply with quote  #45 
Way to go Flores!
gohuskies

Registered:
Posts: 912
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindajane
Way to go Flores!


SO clutch!  (Have you noticed Smith keeps calling her Amber Flores? [rofl])
mindajane

Registered:
Posts: 2,145
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohuskies


SO clutch!  (Have you noticed Smith keeps calling her Amber Flores? [rofl])


She's very clutch! Yes I've noticed smh lol.
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #48 
She did that yesterday too. Maybe because she's shining like amber!
mindajane

Registered:
Posts: 2,145
Reply with quote  #49 
So stoked for the Huskies but couldn't help but feel a little sad for Betsa. Nothing but huge huge respect for her! She had an amazing career for Michigan!
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #50 
UW Presser:

https://twitter.com/UWSoftball/status/866483948611805186?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
gohuskies

Registered:
Posts: 912
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindajane
So stoked for the Huskies but couldn't help but feel a little sad for Betsa. Nothing but huge huge respect for her! She had an amazing career for Michigan!


Betsa had her chance to play in the WCWS and did well, getting to the championship series.  That's a pretty good deal. 
Nedpics

Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #52 
Smith is probably just remembering the 2010 supers (I think), at Husky stadium against Oklahoma. In one game Danielle Lawrey gave up 3 home runs to Amber Flores, forcing an if necessary game. In the last game, Danielle walked her whenever she ha an empty base. I think she got her to strike out for the last out of the game. Can't swear that this is the official version, but it's close enough.

At any rate, I'll take Morgan by any other name when she comes through time after time.
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #53 
Morganne
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #54 
UW's top performers:

Aguilar
8ab, 6r, 5h, .625, 4rbi, 2hr, 1bb, 2hbp

Van Zee
10ab, 3r, 6h, .600, 5rbi, 1dbl, 1trpl, 1bb

Burdick
7ab, 4r, 4h, .571, 3rbi, 1dbl, 1trpl, 1bb

Flores
8ab, 3r, 4h, .500, 3rbi, 2dbl, 3bb, 1so

DePonte
8ab, 2r, 3h, .375, 3rbi, 1hr



AleDawg

Registered:
Posts: 401
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa
UW's top performers:

Aguilar
8ab, 6r, 5h, .625, 4rbi, 2hr, 1bb, 2hbp

Van Zee
10ab, 3r, 6h, .600, 5rbi, 1dbl, 1trpl, 1bb

Burdick
7ab, 4r, 4h, .571, 3rbi, 1dbl, 1trpl, 1bb

Flores
8ab, 3r, 4h, .500, 3rbi, 2dbl, 3bb, 1so

DePonte
8ab, 2r, 3h, .375, 3rbi, 1hr





Still waiting to see Stangel break out.

__________________
"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience."
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #56 
Some controversy over whether Betsa, chose to throw at, rather than to, Aguilar, after having been victimized twice by game turning HRs by her, the first time throwing behind her, the second right at her, hitting her squarely in her quad. Both times there were two outs, making putting her on base less risky, plus there was little inclination to pitch to her anyway, given the damage she'd done (she hit .625 for the weekend). Note that Michele Smith, herself a pitcher, was clearly aghast at the pitch behind Aguilar, saying that a curve could get away in that fashion, but not the pitch thrown.

Stangel also clearly thought she was thrown at, giving Betsa a glaring look after being plunked (also, in the leg, and with two outs), in the second at-bat following Aguilar's HR - as UW's most outspoken player, she might have been seen as a fitting target.

To be fair, Aguilar was also plunked, in the arm, by Blanco, following her lead-off HR in the first game between them, but which, if intentional, could implicate not the players as much as their coach.

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2017/5/21/15673778/super-dawgs-husky-softball-eliminates-michigan-advances-super-regional
AleDawg

Registered:
Posts: 401
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa
Some controversy over whether Betsa, chose to throw at, rather than to, Aguilar, after having been victimized twice by game turning HRs by her, the first time throwing behind her, the second right at her, hitting her squarely in her quad. Both times there were two outs, making putting her on base less risky, plus there was little inclination to pitch to her anyway, given the damage she'd done (she hit .625 for the weekend). Note that Michele Smith, herself a pitcher, was clearly aghast at the pitch behind Aguilar, saying that a curve could get away in that fashion, but not the pitch thrown.

Stangel also clearly thought she was thrown at, giving Betsa a glaring look after being plunked (also, in the leg, and with two outs), in the second at-bat following Aguilar's HR - as UW's most outspoken player, .

To be fair, Aguilar was also plunked, in the arm, by Blanco, following her lead-off HR in the first game between them, but which, if intentional, could implicate not the players as much as their coach.

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2017/5/21/15673778/super-dawgs-husky-softball-eliminates-michigan-advances-super-regional


I'm not sure what the controversy was. She threw behind her and then intentionally walked her.

Next at bat I even said it to myself that Aguilar should tell the ump that if she got hit he needs to toss Betsa. Then she got hit first pitch.

The ump was at fault for not warning Betsa after throwing behind her (after she was plunked the day before.) The rest is just competition.

As a separate aside and because we are talking so much about umps today, I couldn't have disagreed more with Mowens regarding the warning that Hutch received by demanding the home plate ump "get help making the right call" when he called a strike on that check swing through the zone.

Home plate umps may indicate that it was a strike on the swing or on the location as this ump indicated it was the swing. But they are being gracious in doing so. If it's called a strike by the home plate ump, it's a strike.

There is no "getting help" to make the "right call" in this situation. It's a strike. The call was made by the ump charged with making it. Asking a field ump to do so would be redundant.

__________________
"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience."
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,070
Reply with quote  #58 
I think UW just needed Alvelo to take care of business.

Michigan had a plunkfest against FSU at Nutter, too.

Back in 1996, the Marlins' Greg Colbrunn was beaned by the Dodgers' Pedro Astacio, the second day in a row he had been hit by L.A.

Kevin Brown, in the midst of a 1.89 ERA season mind you, threw his first pitch to Astacio behind his head.

End of Marlins getting drilled.
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 708
Reply with quote  #59 
Betsa throwing the ball at Aguilar....What's the deal???  Talk about intentional.... 
mindajane

Registered:
Posts: 2,145
Reply with quote  #60 
I didn't see her get hit but I gathered at the press conference that the Huskies felt it was on purpose. I can't say if it was or not. But I will say I disagree with the point the author of the article posted above was trying to make. He said Betsa hitting Ali intentionally would be hurting her team in the name of revenge. In reality, putting Ali on in one pitch without her getting a chance to swing her bat, helped Michigan in my opinion. There a lot more risks with an intentional walk than a HBP and a lot of more ways it could come back to bite you. I don't see it revenge as much as not giving a player who has already hurt you multiple times a chance to hurt you again.



Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.