Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,823
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

I think the fact that they took at least one playoff loss in supers or beforehand from 2016-18 speaks to my point. And, in 2015, they had a 1-0 extra-inning win in regionals.

Much easier to go into postseason with the lack of stress that goes with a Big 12 or ACC schedule. Players are fresher IMO



Tulsa?

I think not getting a top 8 seed twice in the last 4 years with that talent speaks to my point.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,412
Reply with quote  #32 

What about Tulsa?

Since that 2010 season referenced for UF, Oklahoma has gone 5-0 in regionals and supers with every win by more than a run in 2012, 2013 and 2018

Oklahoma has lost in supers in two of the nine seasons, while UF has lost in supers once and in regionals once

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,823
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

What about Tulsa?

Since that 2010 season referenced for UF, Oklahoma has gone 5-0 in regionals and supers with every win by more than a run in 2012, 2013 and 2018

Oklahoma has lost in supers in two of the nine seasons, while UF has lost in supers once and in regionals once



You’re talking about results not the path to OKC. You said it was easier to get to the WCWS at OU. By that statement, an easier path would be playing at home for both regionals and super-regionals. That’s a different discussion than the discussion of how the teams do with their paths.

I’d make an argument that it might be easier for OU in that the bus rule gets them easier regional teams.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,412
Reply with quote  #34 
From game 1 of the season, the path is easier for Oklahoma than Florida to get to OKC

I clearly indicated that as I made that post.

The results in regionals and supers support that thought
Oger

Registered:
Posts: 199
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


You’re talking about results not the path to OKC. You said it was easier to get to the WCWS at OU. By that statement, an easier path would be playing at home for both regionals and super-regionals. That’s a different discussion than the discussion of how the teams do with their paths.

I’d make an argument that it might be easier for OU in that the bus rule gets them easier regional teams.

Even with all the talent in the world like what Florida, Oklahoma, and UCLA brings in every year it still takes great coaching and a little luck to win it all. Both Florida and Oklahoma and now Florida St can attest to that.
Chester45

Registered:
Posts: 133
Reply with quote  #36 
The argument that the SEC is a grind and wears teams down might actually be another feather in OU's cap. I think we all take it as a negative but maybe  we shouldn't. To win it all is the goal and the easiest path to get there is the goal. i still think a conference that gets 13 teams in the tournament and can't make final 4 is over hyped but that's a different argument.
Tomahawk

Registered:
Posts: 38
Reply with quote  #37 
This is no disrespect whatsoever, but... great coaches are extremely valuable, not irreplaceable.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,823
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
From game 1 of the season, the path is easier for Oklahoma than Florida to get to OKC

I clearly indicated that as I made that post.

The results in regionals and supers support that thought


Don’t agree in the slightest and don’t think you’ve provided any worthwhile data. Unless your argument banks on the fact they play no one and thus have less chances to lose. Obviously the committee doesn’t agree it’s easier or they would’ve valued their path and results over UFs. To me your statements are no different than saying Michigan or Minnesota have an easier path to the WCWS.

The funny part to me is you spend so much time espousing the fact that getting a top 8 seed is crucial but only one of these two teams has failed to do that twice in the past 4 years. If it were easier OU would be a top 8 seed year in and year out.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,412
Reply with quote  #39 

It is important. And Oklahoma in 2015 and 2018 averaged an out-of-conference SoS in the 80s.

Oger

Registered:
Posts: 199
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

It is important. And Oklahoma in 2015 and 2018 averaged an out-of-conference SoS in the 80s.


Being ranked 4th in the final RPI doesn't support your statement.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,412
Reply with quote  #41 

Ranked 4th after the WCWS has nothing to do with this discussion.

If Oklahoma averages an OOC SoS in the ... 70s, they don't play at Bama or Auburn in supers.

In the Big 12 the past decade, their path to reach OKC has been easier from day 1 than a Florida's has been in the SEC of the past decade.

Many, many fewer high-stress innings

Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 79
Reply with quote  #42 
Oklahoma is like that guy that rejected you and every time you hear his name you want talk negatively about him.
Can we say pathetic
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,103
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballjunkie223
Oklahoma is like that guy that rejected you and every time you hear his name you want talk negatively about him.
Can we say pathetic


Ye, like we feel about you when you post.
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 205
Reply with quote  #44 
I'm not buying the argument that the SEC is too much of a grind.  For their entire careers these girls have all been sought the top competition possible.  Now all of a sudden they get to the SEC and it's too hard?  Playing the best should be an advantage, not an excuse.  
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,412
Reply with quote  #45 
Ok... go look at conference only stats vs. Overall stats
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,472
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34sDad
I'm not buying the argument that the SEC is too much of a grind.  For their entire careers these girls have all been sought the top competition possible.  Now all of a sudden they get to the SEC and it's too hard?  Playing the best should be an advantage, not an excuse.  


This discussion, overall, has been hilarious. But I gotta say I'm proud of you, 34sDad, for making a point based on logic (as opposed to some deeply ingrained bias).

Not sure how anyone could argue that having to travel to Bama and Auburn for Supers has made OU's path to OKC easier. And why would playing patsies throughout the regular season (Lefty's argument, not mine) boost any team's chances for success in the postseason?

By the way, I can hardly believe it, but I have finally read a thoughtful post from the softballedjunkie.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,412
Reply with quote  #47 
If Oklahoma had average a 70 OOC opponent RPI in 2015 and 2017 instead of an 80, they would have hosted supers both of those years.


scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,472
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
If Oklahoma had average a 70 OOC opponent RPI in 2015 and 2017 instead of an 80, they would have hosted supers both of those years.




So, wouldn't that prove beyond the shadow of doubt that playing in a "crap" conference has made OU's path to OKC more difficult?
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,823
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

It is important. And Oklahoma in 2015 and 2018 averaged an out-of-conference SoS in the 80s.



And as scrybe said.  That is the crux of the issue I'm discussing.  It isn't the easiest path for OU.  They have to front end load their schedule with teams that are going to be "good" that year in order to counteract the built in SoS that a UF has in conference.

That's a completely different discussion from the discussion of the fact that OU can coast through their conference relatively untested and not putting "wear and tear"  on their players and that makes them more "fresh" for their post-season run.

If we replaced OU in this discussion with ULL, they face the same problem.  You gotta set yourself up for a top 8 seed by going big in the pre-conference season.
Chester45

Registered:
Posts: 133
Reply with quote  #50 
The top tier of the SEC  are always has contenders for the world series. The problem is the mid to lower tier teams are over rated. As shown by how they did in the playoffs. Florida doesn't seem to have problems winning the conference, and for the most part most SEC teams seem scared of them and basically give them games. This isn't football, this conference has won 3 championships(2 by Florida). Plus you don't have to play all the teams each year anyway, which means some years you may not have to play Florida. I watched Alabama play  several games this year and they just weren't  that good. Osorio was even a bit down from what she used to be. 

The Big 12 has been weak the last few years. There is no arguing that. But it also has made OU have little to no room for error. Teams like Texas are still a tough test. Its a rival and they give OU their best shot. Most of the games are close and OU has even had to walk off a couple of victories. It does seem the conference is on an uptick. Texas getting White, OSU has a coach who is recruiting better and bringing in better talent. Baylor is still there with a proven program. So 4 of the 7 teams will be tough outs in the future. 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,412
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


So, wouldn't that prove beyond the shadow of doubt that playing in a "crap" conference has made OU's path to OKC more difficult?
No. Just some scheduling negligence.

That they could play a 70 OOC, still rest aching players whenever they want with no W-L penalty in conference and get them ready for the playoffs and still host at every level of the postseason.... easier path.

just my opinion

Three years straight: Big 12, Big 12, ACC
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,472
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
No. Just some scheduling negligence.

That they could play a 70 OOC, still rest aching players whenever they want with no W-L penalty in conference and get them ready for the playoffs and still host at every level of the postseason.... easier path.

just my opinion

Three years straight: Big 12, Big 12, ACC


LOL, Lefty. Sounds like you're describing a vast crimson and cream conspiracy.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,781
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


That's a completely different discussion from the discussion of the fact that OU can coast through their conference relatively untested and not putting "wear and tear"  on their players and that makes them more "fresh" for their post-season run.



I don't discount the notion that Oklahoma's Big XII dominance subjects their players to less stress than a full slate of SEC or Pac games.

That doesn't mean their starting 9 and front-line pitchers are taking days off, etc., etc.

To the contrary, their starters start and play 99 percent of every game, just like everyone else's do, whether it's Baylor or Kansas.

If anything, there's lots of pressure not to lose those games, any of them, because that would be curtains for their RPI. 

It's a different kind of stress. They can't have any off days.

But, again, the Big XII schedule doesn't mean Knighten and Romero don't play against weaker conference and non-conference opponents. Both of them and the other starters played virtually all of the innings of those games, sometimes nursing nagging injuries.

MOJOERASER

Registered:
Posts: 374
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

It is important. And Oklahoma in 2015 and 2018 averaged an out-of-conference SoS in the 80s.



So it’s even more important to know getting a large sos

means a lower seed and harder way to get to okc,,...

We lost the national champ Bama in a super regional once also I believe
MOJOERASER

Registered:
Posts: 374
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
No. Just some scheduling negligence.

That they could play a 70 OOC, still rest aching players whenever they want with no W-L penalty in conference and get them ready for the playoffs and still host at every level of the postseason.... easier path.

just my opinion

Three years straight: Big 12, Big 12, ACC



Ooc is Just one part of the formula ..... everyone all season long was bashing OUs sos .... and we finished what in rpi? For a league that is so easy it kind of hard to get a rpi of 4.


As for the pac 12 and sec mess again...... rpi and sos means jack crap and it has been proven time and time again..... tha sec was finished before the semis even started. They all had high sos and high rpi numbers but it got them nothing. They didn’t lose because they were tired.... they lost because the teams they played were better. It’s easy to preseason rank 10 sec teams in the top 18 or top 20 and you wonder why their rpi numbers are high? It’s simple math. It got exposed. One would argue the sec had the easiest path to okc...... given how many teams were overrated becuase of rpi. They had more chances to make it to the World Series because they all had favorable seed and most hosted.... you can spin it however you like but you are fooling no one. I really enjoy owning you.
fireballroberts

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester45
I would assume Florida might block OU as a school she could transfer to.
fireballroberts

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #57 
If I am not mistaken that can't stop her from trans there due to it is a different conference.

scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,472
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJOERASER
 I really enjoy owning you.


Yes, I enjoyed that as well, Mojo. LOL
lotsoffish

Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Yes, I enjoyed that as well, Mojo. LOL


Ditto. 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,412
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJOERASER



Ooc is Just one part of the formula ..... everyone all season long was bashing OUs sos .... and we finished what in rpi? For a league that is so easy it kind of hard to get a rpi of 4.


As for the pac 12 and sec mess again...... rpi and sos means jack crap and it has been proven time and time again..... tha sec was finished before the semis even started. They all had high sos and high rpi numbers but it got them nothing. They didn’t lose because they were tired.... they lost because the teams they played were better. It’s easy to preseason rank 10 sec teams in the top 18 or top 20 and you wonder why their rpi numbers are high? It’s simple math. It got exposed. One would argue the sec had the easiest path to okc...... given how many teams were overrated becuase of rpi. They had more chances to make it to the World Series because they all had favorable seed and most hosted.... you can spin it however you like but you are fooling no one. I really enjoy owning you.
Reading comprehension... not your strong suit, huh?

LOL
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.