Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
ultsoftballparent

Registered:
Posts: 28
Reply with quote  #1 
Let's start naming names of the up-lifters not the intimidators
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 4,150
Reply with quote  #2 
Finally hadda start your own thread on this?  Ole Miss will be relieved. You seem to be a one trick pony.
__________________
"She Packed My Bags Last Night, Pre-Flight, Zero Hour Nine A.M."
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,044
Reply with quote  #3 
Plenty of them are positive....

Positive that if a kid can't play, it is going to be a lot longer (or much shorter) four years than if they can.

And, positive that mom and dad will react accordingly.
RELAX

Registered:
Posts: 277
Reply with quote  #4 
This is such a subjective thread. You may think a coach is the most incredible "up-lifter" in the world, but you don't see everything. I would bet there are players on Oklahoma's team that would tell you Gasso is a hard-a$$ and they're intimidated by her. That doesn't mean they don't like her or don't want to play for her. Each player has a perception of their coach and you're going to have many different opinions on every team under every coach. Being pushed beyond what you think your limits are is not abusive. It's a coach pulling more out of you than you thought was possible.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 541
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX
This is such a subjective thread. You may think a coach is the most incredible "up-lifter" in the world, but you don't see everything. I would bet there are players on Oklahoma's team that would tell you Gasso is a hard-a$$ and they're intimidated by her. That doesn't mean they don't like her or don't want to play for her. Each player has a perception of their coach and you're going to have many different opinions on every team under every coach. Being pushed beyond what you think your limits are is not abusive. It's a coach pulling more out of you than you thought was possible.


Agree.  Being a harda$$ and being positive are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  A coach can have non-compromising standards of play, practice, and conduct but still be positive and the players' biggest promoters.  I think your Gasso example is on point.  The comment I have heard repeatedly from her former players is that they entered the OU program as girls and left as women.  Something they all credit Gasso for.  They've won a few games along the way as well.
BullDogFan007

Registered:
Posts: 32
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Ole Miss will be relieved. You seem to be a one trick pony.


I don't think you will find any "positive" comments about the Ole Miss coaching staff being posted here. I could be surprised though.  
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 319
Reply with quote  #7 
While I am sure a lot of coaches would love to be positive and uplifting they are being paid for results (wins), not to caudal players and create "safe spaces"....college coaches are a lot like politicians, they kiss babies and love everyone when they are recruiting, but when the team hits the field most are slave drivers trying to squeeze every ounce of potential out of their players.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,466
Reply with quote  #8 
Let's start a thread naming the helicopter parents, you know, the ones who try to direct every move from behind the scenes, not the ones who let their kids go, trusting the process along the way.

I will start with ultsoftballparent.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 319
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
Let's start a thread naming the helicopter parents, you know, the ones who try to direct every move from behind the scenes, not the ones who let their kids go, trusting the process along the way.

I will start with ultsoftballparent.


LMAO
SoftballFanatic_2020

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogFan007


I don't think you will find any "positive" comments about the Ole Miss coaching staff being posted here. I could be surprised though.  
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic


Agree.  Being a harda$$ and being positive are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  A coach can have non-compromising standards of play, practice, and conduct but still be positive and the players' biggest promoters.  I think your Gasso example is on point.  The comment I have heard repeatedly from her former players is that they entered the OU program as girls and left as women.  Something they all credit Gasso for.  They've won a few games along the way as well.


Ya think the fact that most of them entered the program as 17/18-year-olds and left as 21/22-year-olds might have had something to do with that?

Just kidding. But from what I'm told, Gasso CAN be a hardass on occasion. She's really quite like a mother in that regard. And the vast majority of her players seem to love her in much the same way a child loves her mother.
cleareyesfullheart

Registered:
Posts: 84
Reply with quote  #12 
So during the recruiting process, the recruit doesn't talk with current players? I am sure if they ask they will find out what type of coach he/she is. 
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,598
Reply with quote  #13 
Tarr.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,044
Reply with quote  #14 
The key is former players... if you can track them down. Transfers, or grads
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,044
Reply with quote  #15 
Disagree.... some kids... a few .... are the purest of self motivators. Most need a coach. Some need a butt-kicking coach
60ftAndHangALeft

Registered:
Posts: 116
Reply with quote  #16 
I think Vann Stuedeman could be characterized as a "positive" coach.

But, to be devil's advocate, this isn't really a fair thread because a coach could be tough as nails, but the players and former players have nothing but good things to say about them.  Would this be considered a "positive coach?"
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 541
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
The key is former players... if you can track them down. Transfers, or grads


Grads yes.  Transfers no....likely has an axe to grind or wouldn't have transferred.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,044
Reply with quote  #18 
Well... you are getting all the pom-poms during recruiting. Hearing an axe to leaven the bread would NOT be the worst thing

Just need to see the player's stats and then see if you are hearing a whiner, or someone who sounds like you
CoachB25

Registered:
Posts: 218
Reply with quote  #19 
Coach Levin at Belmont University.  He just finished his first year there but was my dd's coach when she played.  In fact, my dd considers him a second dad.  He is tough as nails at times and yet, he is someone the girls can go to and talk to about almost anything.  He is an ex-Special Ops Military Man.  He is a dad who's daughter cherishes him.  I could never say enough good things about him.  
__________________
Those mountains in front of you will seem like little hills when you are beyond them and they are in the past!
cleareyesfullheart

Registered:
Posts: 84
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpAlum
The Boot Camp mentality comes from needing young men to die for their country. But no one dies from softball. It also comes from expecting that the kids coming in are rebellious little snots who think they know it all, to begin with. It assumes that something negative in the character of the person makes them lose games, that the kid just does not want to win.

You just may have incoming players who already will do what you say without all the negativity. That does not mean you don't expect the player to work hard. You can get them on the same page without tearing the players  apart as a lot of good stuff is in there that you tear off with it.

Would you perform better at work if your boss stood over you and harangued you all day, humiliated you in front of others, or would you just say this is not worth it?


Don't you think Geno A and Pat S were tough on their kids and made some cry? Their kids have/had a love hate with them. I know it's basketball but coaching is coaching. 
TideKid

Registered:
Posts: 1,982
Reply with quote  #21 
i loved having tough coaches growing up. i know they cared about me, too. and i was not a baby or thin skinned when accepting their criticism.

sadly, if kids today can't handle that...a coach can easily be seen as "mean"

basically i think that kids need to buck up. the real workd is an unforgiving place. learning expectations, hard work and accountability are great. coaches need to be able to effectively communicate, too.

__________________
***************
we LOVE free bases
TerpAlum

Registered:
Posts: 765
Reply with quote  #22 
I did not have any mean coaches. Honest ones, yes. I to this day will not go through that sort of environment at work or wherever. I leave. Same as I would never go to a military school or join a sorority, where hazing exists.
Tigers334

Registered:
Posts: 310
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachB25
Coach Levin at Belmont University.  He just finished his first year there but was my dd's coach when she played.  In fact, my dd considers him a second dad.  He is tough as nails at times and yet, he is someone the girls can go to and talk to about almost anything.  He is an ex-Special Ops Military Man.  He is a dad who's daughter cherishes him.  I could never say enough good things about him.  


Pretty cool you are keeping up with your designated driver's playing career!
CoachB25

Registered:
Posts: 218
Reply with quote  #24 
It would be neat if I needed a designated driver.  You will never believe this but I have never taken a drink of alcohol.  Weird I know.  
__________________
Those mountains in front of you will seem like little hills when you are beyond them and they are in the past!
umpah

Registered:
Posts: 85
Reply with quote  #25 
I like the way the Notre Dame coaches treat their players.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.