Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 7      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Terpfan

Registered:
Posts: 1,123
Reply with quote  #1 
I love it, did u all hear the fans PAC 10 SOFTBALL, PAC 10 SOFTBALL, PAC 10 SOFTBALL I'm ACC guy myself but to all you fans that say PAC 10 aint $&#!. come on now. PAC 10 is Bad A$$.

Oh and by the way, what a great game it was, a great battle. and IMHO both team's played like champions. no show boating, just a great softball game.
rawn4203

Registered:
Posts: 51
Reply with quote  #2 
I dont normally get too caught up in this pac10-sec stuff, I think the results on the field the last 28 years pretty much speak for themselves. But it was nice to hear the UW/Pac10 fans stand up and yell out like that. The SEC fans heads were getting a little big after Bama routed AZ and ASU. There were signs in the stands basically saying the pac10 was past its prime. But as UW proved, it is hard to beat the dominant conference in softball when it is all on the line. And this was in a year when the pac10 wasnt at its strongest, to say the least. UCLA didnt even make OKC and AZ was clearly not a typical AZ team. Once those teams regain their grooves we could see more all pac10 finals like we did early in the decade.
pounder

Registered:
Posts: 456
Reply with quote  #3 
Is anyone really surprised the PAC 10 has dominated college softball?. For starters they are located in the biggest hotbed for high school /summer players there is.  The weather , for the most part is great.
What is changing is they are not nearly as dominate as a conference as they used to be. Sure they won the title this year, again. However the other three teams in the final four were SEC teams. That is a statement in itself.
The reason the gap has been closing is the quality of pitching that plays OUTSIDE the Pac Ten.
For many years ALL the best pitchers were in the PAC 10. No wonder they were so dominate. Not true anymore. Lets face it if you do not have a stud in the circle you will not be successful in the big picture. It was not a coincidence that the two best teams also had the two best pitchers this season.

__________________
pounder
TheHammer

Registered:
Posts: 11,132
Reply with quote  #4 
As I said it once before the problem with California great pitchers going out of State is :
They do not want to be a Big fish in a Big Pond
They prefer to be a Big fish in a Small Pond.
If Eastern fans don't like what I say:
 TOOOO BAAAAD.
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,423
Reply with quote  #5 
Hammer - Your mistake, and it's a big one caused by myopia, is to think that anything outside California is a "small pond". To quote Florida pitcher Stacey Nelson who is originally from California, "These last four years have been the best in my life".
__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
RollTidePride

Registered:
Posts: 881
Reply with quote  #6 
I have never gotten in a debate about this before in my life, but this is ridiculous.

COME ON. "it's hard to beat the dominant conference?" That's an idiotic statement, especially considering the circumstances. The PAC 10 was actually VERY easy to quiet this year, what with Alabama eliminating the last two national champions, both PAC 10, and UW being the only PAC 10 team to make it to the semis. You know what was hard to beat? The University of Washington. Danielle Lawrie. Last I checked, they were a dominant TEAM, not a dominant conference. Sure they represent the conference, but they definitely didn't represent the way UCLA or AZ played. The PAC 10 wasn't dominant, UW was.

"once those teams regain their grooves" ?? It can't be that people are beating the PAC 10 just because there is good softball being played everywhere, can it? It has to be because the PAC 10 is having a down year. Hah, okay.

This conference fandom is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Example: I'd rather light myself on fire than cheer for Auburn Football - who cares if they're SEC. Not going to happen. It makes no sense to me. Why is the conference even important?? Why can't people just cheer for teams because they like them, why does it all of a sudden have to be "I'm PAC 10 so worship the ground I walk on" ? Probably because there's a massive superiority complex problem. And it's starting to get stupid.


__________________
"Success is not to be measured so much by the position one has reached in life,
but instead by the obstacles which they have overcome." – Booker T. Washington
Bootstraps

Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #7 
^ I agree.  I don't get it either. 
Titan

Registered:
Posts: 256
Reply with quote  #8 
RTP -You're right, it is getting stupid...funny stupid.  Have you stopped to consider the role of the massive inferiority complex that many seem to have?  Be fair.  In anything, people want to bring down the top dog.  As long as it stays so crystal clear who the top dog is, people will be gunning for the PAC 10.

Also, there is no way it is going to go away, ever really.  Do you think there is one single SEC fan that would not be quick to make statements and defend the superiority of SEC football?  If softball continues to grow like we all hope it does these debates will rage on forever.



Gonein2point6

Registered:
Posts: 3,846
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTidePride
I have never gotten in a debate about this before in my life, but this is ridiculous.

COME ON. "it's hard to beat the dominant conference?" That's an idiotic statement, especially considering the circumstances. The PAC 10 was actually VERY easy to quiet this year, what with Alabama eliminating the last two national champions, both PAC 10, and UW being the only PAC 10 team to make it to the semis. You know what was hard to beat? The University of Washington. Danielle Lawrie. Last I checked, they were a dominant TEAM, not a dominant conference. Sure they represent the conference, but they definitely didn't represent the way UCLA or AZ played. The PAC 10 wasn't dominant, UW was.

"once those teams regain their grooves" ?? It can't be that people are beating the PAC 10 just because there is good softball being played everywhere, can it? It has to be because the PAC 10 is having a down year. Hah, okay.

This conference fandom is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Example: I'd rather light myself on fire than cheer for Auburn Football - who cares if they're SEC. Not going to happen. It makes no sense to me. Why is the conference even important?? Why can't people just cheer for teams because they like them, why does it all of a sudden have to be "I'm PAC 10 so worship the ground I walk on" ? Probably because there's a massive superiority complex problem. And it's starting to get stupid.


Here here!  Couldn't agree more  (although it's not just a Pac 10 thing. "SEC fan" is as guilty (if not more) as anyone else in this department.



__________________
"Do you have a light can you make me feel alright
There's plenty of white to go around
Do you think its right when you hit me to the ground
Well, light me up when I'm down"
Pudge

Registered:
Posts: 4,188
Reply with quote  #10 
Hammer,

Your daughter went to Fullerton. You can't find a smaller pond on the west coast!

Let's see.... Player A from California chooses to play ball at Alabama. Player B chooses to play at Fullerton. Which one is in the smaller pond?

Obviously the question is rhetorical. No one thinks about Fullerton Softball unless they are talking transfers. Alabama is a CONTENDER, not an afterthought.

Those West Coast kids are leaving FOR the big pond. Where the lights are bright, the stands are full, and the budgets are plentiful!

__________________
Softball is my passion!
BruinDad

Registered:
Posts: 1,068
Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTidePride
I have never gotten in a debate about this before in my life, but this is ridiculous.

COME ON. "it's hard to beat the dominant conference?" That's an idiotic statement, especially considering the circumstances. The PAC 10 was actually VERY easy to quiet this year, what with Alabama eliminating the last two national champions, both PAC 10, and UW being the only PAC 10 team to make it to the semis. You know what was hard to beat? The University of Washington. Danielle Lawrie. Last I checked, they were a dominant TEAM, not a dominant conference. Sure they represent the conference, but they definitely didn't represent the way UCLA or AZ played. The PAC 10 wasn't dominant, UW was.

"once those teams regain their grooves" ?? It can't be that people are beating the PAC 10 just because there is good softball being played everywhere, can it? It has to be because the PAC 10 is having a down year. Hah, okay.

This conference fandom is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Example: I'd rather light myself on fire than cheer for Auburn Football - who cares if they're SEC. Not going to happen. It makes no sense to me. Why is the conference even important?? Why can't people just cheer for teams because they like them, why does it all of a sudden have to be "I'm PAC 10 so worship the ground I walk on" ? Probably because there's a massive superiority complex problem. And it's starting to get stupid.

RollTideRoll, you are missing the point. You say that the only reason Washington won was because they had a dominant pitcher and it had nothing to do with the conference that they played in. Do you think it's just a coincidence that the Pac 10 has won this thing 8 out of the last 9 years? Do you think that the "best team" has won all those years?  I say that it is because the conference is so tough, week in and week out, that the Pac10 teams come to the WCWS ready to win. Danielle Lawrie did not cruise through the Pac10 season unbeaten. She got banged around a little bit and it made her a better pitcher. She knew how to deal with adversity. Did you see how Stacey Nelson and Florida played once they fell behind in game one? They were so used to beating up on their competition that they had no response once Washington took the lead. In game two, Florida jumped out with 2 runs and no outs. What did Lawrie and the Huskies do? They came right back and scored two of their own and then Danielle shut down Florida the rest of the way. Washington knew how to play "when the air got heavy" as my favorite UCLA coach used to say.
Go Bruins
Go Huskies
Go Pac10
RollTidePride

Registered:
Posts: 881
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTidePride
I have never gotten in a debate about this before in my life, but this is ridiculous.

COME ON. "it's hard to beat the dominant conference?" That's an idiotic statement, especially considering the circumstances. The PAC 10 was actually VERY easy to quiet this year, what with Alabama eliminating the last two national champions, both PAC 10, and UW being the only PAC 10 team to make it to the semis. You know what was hard to beat? The University of Washington. Danielle Lawrie. Last I checked, they were a dominant TEAM, not a dominant conference. Sure they represent the conference, but they definitely didn't represent the way UCLA or AZ played. The PAC 10 wasn't dominant, UW was.

"once those teams regain their grooves" ?? It can't be that people are beating the PAC 10 just because there is good softball being played everywhere, can it? It has to be because the PAC 10 is having a down year. Hah, okay.

This conference fandom is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Example: I'd rather light myself on fire than cheer for Auburn Football - who cares if they're SEC. Not going to happen. It makes no sense to me. Why is the conference even important?? Why can't people just cheer for teams because they like them, why does it all of a sudden have to be "I'm PAC 10 so worship the ground I walk on" ? Probably because there's a massive superiority complex problem. And it's starting to get stupid.

RollTideRoll, you are missing the point. You say that the only reason Washington won was because they had a dominant pitcher and it had nothing to do with the conference that they played in. Do you think it's just a coincidence that the Pac 10 has won this thing 8 out of the last 9 years? Do you think that the "best team" has won all those years?  I say that it is because the conference is so tough, week in and week out, that the Pac10 teams come to the WCWS ready to win. Danielle Lawrie did not cruise through the Pac10 season unbeaten. She got banged around a little bit and it made her a better pitcher. She knew how to deal with adversity. Did you see how Stacey Nelson and Florida played once they fell behind in game one? They were so used to beating up on their competition that they had no response once Washington took the lead. In game two, Florida jumped out with 2 runs and no outs. What did Lawrie and the Huskies do? They came right back and scored two of their own and then Danielle shut down Florida the rest of the way. Washington knew how to play "when the air got heavy" as my favorite UCLA coach used to say.
Go Bruins
Go Huskies
Go Pac10



Nope, not saying that at all. I'm sure the schedule they played made them tougher and more capable, you're right. Florida really picked the wrong time to have the wheels come off, as well. But to say the dominant conference won (which was the quote I was originally commenting on) is ridiculous and really just stupid. The dominant team won. Danielle Lawrie threw an incredible game, which is partly to be credited to her competition, sure, but let's be real. It's all relative. It's stupid to try and spin it like the PAC 10 blew everyone out of the water just because a PAC 10 team won the championship. Especially when it was the only one left in the semis. Which is why it's stupid that U Dub wins the championship and the first thing half of you can think to say is "PAC 10 IS SUPREME!"

I'm really not saying any conference is harder than the other, because I am an Alabama fan first and foremost. But I am not an SEC fan particularly. I was pulling for the Huskies. I don't get this whole conference sisterhood thing. I feel like it's stupid which was really what I am trying to say. Just because one team from the PAC wins it, everyone wants to give all this credit to the conference, when it belongs to the team. The point I am trying to get across is not working out very well via the computer, I'm afraid.

__________________
"Success is not to be measured so much by the position one has reached in life,
but instead by the obstacles which they have overcome." – Booker T. Washington
LMUfan

Registered:
Posts: 7,431
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge
Hammer,

Your daughter went to Fullerton. You can't find a smaller pond on the west coast!

Let's see.... Player A from California chooses to play ball at Alabama. Player B chooses to play at Fullerton. Which one is in the smaller pond?

Obviously the question is rhetorical. No one thinks about Fullerton Softball unless they are talking transfers. Alabama is a CONTENDER, not an afterthought.

Those West Coast kids are leaving FOR the big pond. Where the lights are bright, the stands are full, and the budgets are plentiful!


When all three of our daughters were choosing colleges we counseled them to carefully choose the location wisely.  For example, when daughter number three was looking at a pre-med major we advised her that an important part of that major is internships at hospitals.  She was choosing between Chico State, in Chico, California and San Jose State, in San Jose, California.  Clearly the opportunity for internships for a future doctor is more readily available in San Jose versus Chico.

Believe it or not, even softball players make decisions on where to play that are based on factors outside the realm of softball.  So, when the term Big Pond is used in the very, very narrow sense yes Alabama is a bigger pond than Fullerton when it comes to softball.  But, when choosing a college and using the term Big Pond in the larger sense, Tuscaloosa is a bird bath when considered to Orange County's pond.

I didn't take Hammer's very, very narrow interpretation that only included softball with regard to selection on where to play.  You did.  We saw his post differently.
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,423
Reply with quote  #14 
Charlie - Please explain your next to last paragraph to me. Thanks.
__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
pounder

Registered:
Posts: 456
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTidePride
I have never gotten in a debate about this before in my life, but this is ridiculous.

COME ON. "it's hard to beat the dominant conference?" That's an idiotic statement, especially considering the circumstances. The PAC 10 was actually VERY easy to quiet this year, what with Alabama eliminating the last two national champions, both PAC 10, and UW being the only PAC 10 team to make it to the semis. You know what was hard to beat? The University of Washington. Danielle Lawrie. Last I checked, they were a dominant TEAM, not a dominant conference. Sure they represent the conference, but they definitely didn't represent the way UCLA or AZ played. The PAC 10 wasn't dominant, UW was.

"once those teams regain their grooves" ?? It can't be that people are beating the PAC 10 just because there is good softball being played everywhere, can it? It has to be because the PAC 10 is having a down year. Hah, okay.

This conference fandom is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Example: I'd rather light myself on fire than cheer for Auburn Football - who cares if they're SEC. Not going to happen. It makes no sense to me. Why is the conference even important?? Why can't people just cheer for teams because they like them, why does it all of a sudden have to be "I'm PAC 10 so worship the ground I walk on" ? Probably because there's a massive superiority complex problem. And it's starting to get stupid.

RollTideRoll, you are missing the point. You say that the only reason Washington won was because they had a dominant pitcher and it had nothing to do with the conference that they played in. Do you think it's just a coincidence that the Pac 10 has won this thing 8 out of the last 9 years? Do you think that the "best team" has won all those years?  I say that it is because the conference is so tough, week in and week out, that the Pac10 teams come to the WCWS ready to win. Danielle Lawrie did not cruise through the Pac10 season unbeaten. She got banged around a little bit and it made her a better pitcher. She knew how to deal with adversity. Did you see how Stacey Nelson and Florida played once they fell behind in game one? They were so used to beating up on their competition that they had no response once Washington took the lead. In game two, Florida jumped out with 2 runs and no outs. What did Lawrie and the Huskies do? They came right back and scored two of their own and then Danielle shut down Florida the rest of the way. Washington knew how to play "when the air got heavy" as my favorite UCLA coach used to say.
Go Bruins
Go Huskies
Go Pac10
Bruindad, the point is, we all doubt the PAC Ten will win the NEXT 8 of of 9 CWS`s. The gap has been closed. Face it the PAC 10 has had a MAJOR head start on the other conferences. They also have had cart blonch on the west coast talent. No more. Teams like GA, Florida, Michigan, Ohio St etc can offer players full rides at awesome schools with large budgets, and lots of travel. No doubt Schools like AZ and UCLA will always be in the mix, but now they will also have to contend with great west coast talent that plays east of the mississippi. Add all that to the talent pool east of the Mississippi that has gotten eons better over the last ten years. It`s good for the sport, not just bad for the PAC 10.

__________________
pounder
LMUfan

Registered:
Posts: 7,431
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyGuy
Charlie - Please explain your next to last paragraph to me. Thanks.


You mean the "opportunity" piece?  Sure.  If you want to be a business major and plan on being, say, a financial analyst.   Would you rather study in Tuscaloosa or in the third largest financial center of the country, Orange County?   If you wanted to major in marketing wouldn't you rather be in New York?  Or if you wanted to major in the school of Film and Television Production, wouldn't you want to be in Los Angeles?  If you're a Communications major then it's probably not an issue, any location could be considered. 

Location of the school with relation to a major can be a huge concern.  There are many more opportunities in the Big Pond of life.
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,920
Reply with quote  #17 
Guess a factor on when things may be viewed differently if there is some ladies from the South or East Coast and go West to play ball. I can name a list of ladies over the past few years that have been recruited to play on the West Coast.
Doesnt matter how many....It doesnt equate to the numbers coming from the West.
But the talent pool is getting even so more and more ladies will be spread from sea to shining sea....



__________________
I voted for Trump. 
Caz

Registered:
Posts: 2,535
Reply with quote  #18 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyGuy
Charlie - Please explain your next to last paragraph to me. Thanks.


You mean the "opportunity" piece?  Sure.  If you want to be a business major and plan on being, say, a financial analyst.   Would you rather study in Tuscaloosa or in the third largest financial center of the country, Orange County?   If you wanted to major in marketing wouldn't you rather be in New York?  Or if you wanted to major in the school of Film and Television Production, wouldn't you want to be in Los Angeles?  If you're a Communications major then it's probably not an issue, any location could be considered. 

Location of the school with relation to a major can be a huge concern.  There are many more opportunities in the Big Pond of life.

I would have to think the alumni network and its "pull" anywhere in the country for say, the University of Alabama, would dwarf that of the California State University at Fullerton.  Those SEC grads, man, they stick together. "Gators helping Gators," "Vols helping Vols," etc.  Can you really walk out of Cal State Fullerton after 4 years and say to yourself that THIS degree from THIS institution is going to help me write my ticket?


__________________
Nothing Soft About It - a Mid-Major Softball Blog

http://nsaisoftball.blogspot.com/

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/nsaisoftball

Twitter - @nsaisoftball
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,920
Reply with quote  #19 
Like you said we see that alot around here in Georgia. Example...A Ga Tech grad owns a company...they hire more Ga Tech grads..
Georgia grad starts a business or whatever and hires other Ga grads....
Seems to be how things are around here....



__________________
I voted for Trump. 
RollTidePride

Registered:
Posts: 881
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTidePride
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTidePride
I have never gotten in a debate about this before in my life, but this is ridiculous.

COME ON. "it's hard to beat the dominant conference?" That's an idiotic statement, especially considering the circumstances. The PAC 10 was actually VERY easy to quiet this year, what with Alabama eliminating the last two national champions, both PAC 10, and UW being the only PAC 10 team to make it to the semis. You know what was hard to beat? The University of Washington. Danielle Lawrie. Last I checked, they were a dominant TEAM, not a dominant conference. Sure they represent the conference, but they definitely didn't represent the way UCLA or AZ played. The PAC 10 wasn't dominant, UW was.

"once those teams regain their grooves" ?? It can't be that people are beating the PAC 10 just because there is good softball being played everywhere, can it? It has to be because the PAC 10 is having a down year. Hah, okay.

This conference fandom is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Example: I'd rather light myself on fire than cheer for Auburn Football - who cares if they're SEC. Not going to happen. It makes no sense to me. Why is the conference even important?? Why can't people just cheer for teams because they like them, why does it all of a sudden have to be "I'm PAC 10 so worship the ground I walk on" ? Probably because there's a massive superiority complex problem. And it's starting to get stupid.

RollTideRoll, you are missing the point. You say that the only reason Washington won was because they had a dominant pitcher and it had nothing to do with the conference that they played in. Do you think it's just a coincidence that the Pac 10 has won this thing 8 out of the last 9 years? Do you think that the "best team" has won all those years?  I say that it is because the conference is so tough, week in and week out, that the Pac10 teams come to the WCWS ready to win. Danielle Lawrie did not cruise through the Pac10 season unbeaten. She got banged around a little bit and it made her a better pitcher. She knew how to deal with adversity. Did you see how Stacey Nelson and Florida played once they fell behind in game one? They were so used to beating up on their competition that they had no response once Washington took the lead. In game two, Florida jumped out with 2 runs and no outs. What did Lawrie and the Huskies do? They came right back and scored two of their own and then Danielle shut down Florida the rest of the way. Washington knew how to play "when the air got heavy" as my favorite UCLA coach used to say.
Go Bruins
Go Huskies
Go Pac10




Nope, not saying that at all. I'm sure the schedule they played made them tougher and more capable, you're right. Florida really picked the wrong time to have the wheels come off, as well. But to say the dominant conference won (which was the quote I was originally commenting on) is ridiculous and really just stupid. The dominant team won. Danielle Lawrie threw an incredible game, which is partly to be credited to her competition, sure, but let's be real. It's all relative. It's stupid to try and spin it like the PAC 10 blew everyone out of the water just because a PAC 10 team won the championship. Especially when it was the only one left in the semis. Which is why it's stupid that U Dub wins the championship and the first thing half of you can think to say is "PAC 10 IS SUPREME!"

I'm really not saying any conference is harder than the other, because I am an Alabama fan first and foremost. But I am not an SEC fan particularly. I was pulling for the Huskies. I don't get this whole conference sisterhood thing. I feel like it's stupid which was really what I am trying to say. Just because one team from the PAC wins it, everyone wants to give all this credit to the conference, when it belongs to the team. The point I am trying to get across is not working out very well via the computer, I'm afraid.

I agree with you on many points - but I give credit to the conference in this regard. Washington is now the 5th team in the conference to win the National Championship in the past eight years. That says a lot for the conference and I believe that is what BruinDad was alluding to.



I was not disagreeing with that point.. I was actually trying to make a different one.
I'm sorry, I'm having a really hard time saying what's in my head. Gotta be final exams...

__________________
"Success is not to be measured so much by the position one has reached in life,
but instead by the obstacles which they have overcome." – Booker T. Washington
LMUfan

Registered:
Posts: 7,431
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyGuy
Charlie - Please explain your next to last paragraph to me. Thanks.


You mean the "opportunity" piece?  Sure.  If you want to be a business major and plan on being, say, a financial analyst.   Would you rather study in Tuscaloosa or in the third largest financial center of the country, Orange County?   If you wanted to major in marketing wouldn't you rather be in New York?  Or if you wanted to major in the school of Film and Television Production, wouldn't you want to be in Los Angeles?  If you're a Communications major then it's probably not an issue, any location could be considered. 

Location of the school with relation to a major can be a huge concern.  There are many more opportunities in the Big Pond of life.

I would have to think the alumni network and its "pull" anywhere in the country for say, the University of Alabama, would dwarf that of the California State University at Fullerton.  Those SEC grads, man, they stick together. "Gators helping Gators," "Vols helping Vols," etc.  Can you really walk out of Cal State Fullerton after 4 years and say to yourself that THIS degree from THIS institution is going to help me write my ticket?



I believe that's a regional thing, abeit the Alabama grad having a larger region.  An Alabama grad would probably make no more of an impression if they were looking for work in Los Angeles than a CSUF grad.  Personally I've never met anyone that attended Alabama.  I work with a number of CSUF grads.

However, I was addressing the larger opportunity for getting experience while in school.  Some may argue that undergraduate studies can be done anywhere and it's the grad school that is important.  That may be true for some majors.  And, certainly some majors can be studied anywhere.  Mathematics, Education, Communications, etc. are pretty much universal.  There are many majors, however, that have better opportunities in different locales.

The bottom line, however, is go where you want to live for four years, where they have what you want to study, where you get the best opportunity to plant the seed for a successful career, at a school you can afford net all scholarships.  Once all four of those are in place then softball should be the fifty choice and you can then factor in things like playing time and playing position.  In other words it has to be a good fit all around, not just in softball.
TheHammer

Registered:
Posts: 11,132
Reply with quote  #22 
Guys when are you going to stop writing your book.????
Maybe they should set a limit in how many lines one can input.
CmonBluuuuue

Registered:
Posts: 271
Reply with quote  #23 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer
Guys when are you going to stop writing your book.????
Maybe they should set a limit in how many lines one can input.


UCS for dummies?
Lovemesomesoftball

Registered:
Posts: 5,791
Reply with quote  #24 
I generally do the PAC10 v SEC thing in fun. I was at the WCWS games and some SEC fans (ok...the jerks sitting in front of me) took it waaaaaaaaaay too serious.

When Georgia beat Missouri Saturday afternoon. The Georgia team shook hands with the Alabama players as they walked on the field, pumped them up and they crowd started the SEC chant.

I turned to PAC10 fan behind me and said "wow" the SEC chant already. I was given the history of the SEC and why "Yankees" are the enemy. I didn't know Arizona, Michigan and Washington were home to Yankees but I found out that anything not Alabama, Georgia, Florida etc was "stanking" Yankee territory, where the people are "rude" and "lazy"

I thought they were joking but they were dead serious. I found out when I questioned a call in the Washington v Georgia game (the non home run) and was told to shut my mouth "that's the way the ball bounces". Of course they questioned everything that didn't go the SEC way.

It was an experience being around so many die hard SEC fans. They didn't just cheer for the SEC they cheered against the PAC10. It was great when the Washington fans did the PAC10  Softball cheer. So many of us were treated like dirt watching the game. Sure there were nice SEC people around. ....I just wasn't seated near them.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,809
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomesoftball
I generally do the PAC10 v SEC thing in fun. I was at the WCWS games and some SEC fans (ok...the jerks sitting in front of me) took it waaaaaaaaaay too serious.

When Georgia beat Missouri Saturday afternoon. The Georgia team shook hands with the Alabama players as they walked on the field, pumped them up and they crowd started the SEC chant.

I turned to PAC10 fan behind me and said "wow" the SEC chant already. I was given the history of the SEC and why "Yankees" are the enemy. I didn't know Arizona, Michigan and Washington were home to Yankees but I found out that anything not Alabama, Georgia, Florida etc was "stanking" Yankee territory, where the people are "rude" and "lazy"

I thought they were joking but they were dead serious. I found out when I questioned a call in the Washington v Georgia game (the non home run) and was told to shut my mouth "that's the way the ball bounces". Of course they questioned everything that didn't go the SEC way.

It was an experience being around so many die hard SEC fans. They didn't just cheer for the SEC they cheered against the PAC10. It was great when the Washington fans did the PAC10  Softball cheer. So many of us were treated like dirt watching the game. Sure there were nice SEC people around. ....I just wasn't seated near them.


Welcome to the South and what they call a religion.  How'd it compare to the USC vs. UCLA rivalry?

Edit: And by the way, did they make me look semi-sane?
Pudge

Registered:
Posts: 4,188
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer
Guys when are you going to stop writing your book.????
Maybe they should set a limit in how many lines one can input.

For Hammer - Pac10 good, SEC not quite as good.

For ProudDad, - Washington very good, Florida, Alabama, Georgia a notch below Washington, the Pac-10 not quite as good.

__________________
Softball is my passion!
Lovemesomesoftball

Registered:
Posts: 5,791
Reply with quote  #27 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomesoftball
I generally do the PAC10 v SEC thing in fun. I was at the WCWS games and some SEC fans (ok...the jerks sitting in front of me) took it waaaaaaaaaay too serious.

When Georgia beat Missouri Saturday afternoon. The Georgia team shook hands with the Alabama players as they walked on the field, pumped them up and they crowd started the SEC chant.

I turned to PAC10 fan behind me and said "wow" the SEC chant already. I was given the history of the SEC and why "Yankees" are the enemy. I didn't know Arizona, Michigan and Washington were home to Yankees but I found out that anything not Alabama, Georgia, Florida etc was "stanking" Yankee territory, where the people are "rude" and "lazy"

I thought they were joking but they were dead serious. I found out when I questioned a call in the Washington v Georgia game (the non home run) and was told to shut my mouth "that's the way the ball bounces". Of course they questioned everything that didn't go the SEC way.

It was an experience being around so many die hard SEC fans. They didn't just cheer for the SEC they cheered against the PAC10. It was great when the Washington fans did the PAC10  Softball cheer. So many of us were treated like dirt watching the game. Sure there were nice SEC people around. ....I just wasn't seated near them.


Welcome to the South and what they call a religion.  How'd it compare to the USC vs. UCLA rivalry?

Edit: And by the way, did they make me look semi-sane?

You might want to find those individuals and ask them.....
Initially I tried to kill them with kindness. Hoping they would stop the unneccessary insults of P10 players, fans etc. but that didn't work.

Later we moved to empty seats behind home plate.....of course they were full for the championship series.

Game 1 of the championship series. The "gentleman" in front of me started with the insults, I ignored him. Kept turning around and being confrontational....still ignored....he continued....then I went Cartman on him.

Game 2.....they didn't show up
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,809
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomesoftball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomesoftball
I generally do the PAC10 v SEC thing in fun. I was at the WCWS games and some SEC fans (ok...the jerks sitting in front of me) took it waaaaaaaaaay too serious.

When Georgia beat Missouri Saturday afternoon. The Georgia team shook hands with the Alabama players as they walked on the field, pumped them up and they crowd started the SEC chant.

I turned to PAC10 fan behind me and said "wow" the SEC chant already. I was given the history of the SEC and why "Yankees" are the enemy. I didn't know Arizona, Michigan and Washington were home to Yankees but I found out that anything not Alabama, Georgia, Florida etc was "stanking" Yankee territory, where the people are "rude" and "lazy"

I thought they were joking but they were dead serious. I found out when I questioned a call in the Washington v Georgia game (the non home run) and was told to shut my mouth "that's the way the ball bounces". Of course they questioned everything that didn't go the SEC way.

It was an experience being around so many die hard SEC fans. They didn't just cheer for the SEC they cheered against the PAC10. It was great when the Washington fans did the PAC10  Softball cheer. So many of us were treated like dirt watching the game. Sure there were nice SEC people around. ....I just wasn't seated near them.


Welcome to the South and what they call a religion.  How'd it compare to the USC vs. UCLA rivalry?

Edit: And by the way, did they make me look semi-sane?

You might want to find those individuals and ask them.....
Initially I tried to kill them with kindness. Hoping they would stop the unneccessary insults of P10 players, fans etc. but that didn't work.

Later we moved to empty seats behind home plate.....of course they were full for the championship series.

Game 1 of the championship series. The "gentleman" in front of me started with the insults, I ignored him. Kept turning around and being confrontational....still ignored....he continued....then I went Cartman on him.

Game 2.....they didn't show up


Ha ha, and this is softball.  I'll let you imagine how much worse it is in Gainesville or Baton Rouge on a football day.

At least UCLA hasn't resorted to burning an effigy of Carroll yet.

Love how you avoided the last question, ha ha ha.
Lovemesomesoftball

Registered:
Posts: 5,791
Reply with quote  #29 
^^^^^^
You resemble Ghandi compared to them.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,809
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomesoftball
^^^^^^
You resemble Ghandi compared to them.


Well maybe that is a little extreme.  So basically, it is much easier to deal with telling me to "take off that red shirt..."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.