Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Laffy

Registered:
Posts: 1,034
Reply with quote  #1 
As a member of the Sun Belt, I really dont have to deal with bickering of other conferences regarding softball supremecy... However I have been observing alot of the bickering involving SEC vs Pac-10 and thought I'd share my thoughts. I'm looking for INTELLIGENT discussion about the conferences. If you can't share a mature opinion please dont reply for the sake of everyone else. Anyway this is my take on why the SEC vs Pac-10 is important to the GROWTH of softball. I'm also getting sick of seeing the same stupid posts, so I'm going to shed some light some here probably dont understand as to why the SEC does things like recruit so heavily from the west coast.
 
First, the Pac-10 fans love to say "the SEC needs west coast players to win!". Guess what, thats where the talent is! The west coast takes softball alot more seriously than the south and as a result all the top talent is out west. The SEC knows to be consistently competitive year in and year out they need talented teams. So they go to where the talent is because there is alot less availible in the south. On the other side of the coin... look at football. Pac-10 isnt anywhere near rivaling the SEC anytime soon. Recruiting to win is all based on where the talent is, and in softball that talent is out west where the sport is played avidly and taken much more seriously than in the south where football is king. Does this benefit the Pac-10? Of course it does! Guess where all the fathers take their daughters to watch college games? A Pac-10 school! These girls spend their lives growing up idolizing schools like Arizona. So of course when high school rolls around and its time to think about college, their first choice is going to be a Pac-10 school. The SEC has had to fight for quality recruits from the west coast because of this.
 
Second, I see people say "blah blah blah its been 13yrs SEC still without a title blah blah blah". The SEC wasnt even a conference in softball 15 years ago. They're dealing with being a "new" conference and having to recruit against the Pac-10 whose legacy and lore has a stranglehold on the talent in the nation. It took years and years before the SEC could actually convince quality players they had a chance of winning NOT on the west coast. Now players are seeing that the SEC is a legit conference, that they are competitive, and that they will have the chance to win. The result is the talent is starting to balance out, west coast players are starting to venture out to the east and finding success and laying down the foundation for the others.
 
Third, and I'm sure this is going to miff alot of people off... softball needs the SEC right now more than it needs the Pac-10. The Pac-10 has been wonderful for the sport, and has dominated the sport. However there is not much more expansion they can do for the west coast market. For softball to continue to GROW, it needs the SEC so they can get that east coast audience. You saw record numbers at this years WCWS, a big factor for that was the amount of SEC teams participating and the fanbases of the south. SEC schools have a borderline cult following, and as softball grows in the southeast the popularity will of course go up across the nation as more and more people will become involved. The expanded audiences will open more doors of oppurtunity to promote the sport and give all the young women across the nation who practice hard every day a bigger stage to compete on. Maybe the CHAMPIONSHIP games of the WCWS will actually be on ESPN and not ESPN2. ESPN chose MLB games that weren't even that big of a deal over the WCWS Championship Series to be their main broadcast. Talk about ESPN letting us know what they think of our viewer population.
 
The SEC's growth and production in softball on the big stage is causing alot more local high schools and such to take softball alot more seriously and the talent availible down south is slowly starting to rise. Because of the expansion of softball in the south going on right now, there is a surge in interest and viewers. Softball is becoming a hot topic and people in the southeastern U.S. are starting to take alot more interest since now the teams they root for are becoming legitamite and their daughters grow a serious interest in playing softball. The splash effect of all of this is that more of the nation is paying attention to softball and not just treating it as a sport they only see during the Olympics (GAH! ITS NOT THERE ANYMORE!). The vast majority of the country only cares about softball during the Olympics, mainly because it was so dominated by the west coast no one on the east coast even bothered to tune in 'till it was time to cheer for good 'ole USA. Now that people on the east coast see UGA, UF, UA, etc. starting to make it to the big dance they find themselves more interested year round and softball will get stronger even though it is no longer on the grandest stage of them all.
 
So now you're asking yourself, wow... thats a long post... whats the summary? My point is the SEC and Pac-10 need each other. This rivalry is GREAT for the sport and will only make it grow more. As the SEC fights to gain recognition and respect, the Pac-10 fights to maintain its dominance. If anything, PROMOTE the Pac-10 and SEC battles! Sports get boring when its the same teams over and over and over... but now suddenly the Pac-10 is finding itself being challenged by a good conference in the SEC and people who normally dont pay much attention find themselves getting caught up in the storylines.
 
Anyway thats my take on the SEC and Pac-10 debate...

__________________
I don't hate stupid people, I just feel we should remove all warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
LMUfan

Registered:
Posts: 7,431
Reply with quote  #2 
Laffy,

Probably the best post I've seen on this forum in years.  I agree with your analysis 100%.

Keep it up.

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,809
Reply with quote  #3 
Beautiful post, and I have one question.  What is your opinion on how the growth of softball will trickle down on the East coast?  Do you think in 10 years or so, we will see people not just recruiting the talent from the West, but finally the HS and travel ball in the East has picked up enough to recruit heavily from East as well?  Or how many years before that shift occurs (sorry that is two question, my bad.)
justme

Registered:
Posts: 153
Reply with quote  #4 
Good post!  I really don't think it' a rivalry a much a pride in the sport in the west.  The reason players here in the west seem to have an edge is because of weather, great travelball clubs, coaching, various programs from age 5 on up seemed to surpass the rest of the country.  Now that the sport is growing, like you said, beyong the bounderies of the west, it is balancing out.
Additionally, I know of a lot of players who don't want to become just another good player at the top PAC-1o schools, but rather play in a program that it getting off it's feet and has potential...of being part of the rise of a program.  Instead of sharing the spotlight or sitting the bench, they go east.
Lastly, I really think colleges are opening more opportunities by hiring better coaches, expanding their scholarships for softball, and building gorgeous facilities to attract more players.
And BTW, some games were on ESPN and they plan to continue expanding their coverage of softball, we hope.
Just my 2 cents....
rawn4203

Registered:
Posts: 51
Reply with quote  #5 

". On the other side of the coin... look at football. Pac-10 isnt anywhere near rivaling the SEC anytime soon."
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Look at the bowl records of each conference last year and then check back with me on that.
pounder

Registered:
Posts: 456
Reply with quote  #6 

The biggest difference between the past and now is the quality of pitchers NOT playing in the PAC 10....The SEC and even the Big Ten are signing VERY good pitchers. It used to be all the best pitchers were all in the same conference, the PAC 10.. Not so anymore. The talent is being spread all over the country. Without the stud in the circle, you don`t have a chance at the CWS.


__________________
pounder
Laffy

Registered:
Posts: 1,034
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Beautiful post, and I have one question.  What is your opinion on how the growth of softball will trickle down on the East coast?  Do you think in 10 years or so, we will see people not just recruiting the talent from the West, but finally the HS and travel ball in the East has picked up enough to recruit heavily from East as well?  Or how many years before that shift occurs (sorry that is two question, my bad.)


Well, occasionally you'll stumble across an Ashley Brignac here and there, but compared to the talent out west its not even a close comparison. I think it will be at least 10 years before you see east coast teams with more east coast players. The travel clubs are getting more serious, but compared to the attitude and environment out west, the east is still so far behind right now when it comes to growing talent. They have made big strides at the collegiate level with alot of the SEC schools POURING money into their softball programs, however all thats doing right now is increasing its appeal to the west coasters they are recruiting. I really think the east coast schools need to promote softball more at a younger age and more local level. Get involved more with camps, clinics, etc. that can help develop talent but also promote the game. There is softball talent down here, however its going to take some time before you really start to see it blossom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn4203
Look at the bowl records of each conference last year and then check back with me on that.


Look at who the Pac-10 played then look who the SEC played. Also look who won the National Championship. Anyway this isnt even about football, so go to a football forum or take it to PMs if you want to debate football conference supremecy with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounder
The biggest difference between the past and now is the quality of pitchers NOT playing in the PAC 10....The SEC and even the Big Ten are signing VERY good pitchers. It used to be all the best pitchers were all in the same conference, the PAC 10.. Not so anymore. The talent is being spread all over the country. Without the stud in the circle, you don`t have a chance at the CWS.


Kenzie Flower commited to Arizona... and her and that 0.048 ERA is just insane. Pac-10 didnt have much for pitching this season, however I dont think its going to stay like that for long.



__________________
I don't hate stupid people, I just feel we should remove all warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
gomrpi

Registered:
Posts: 891
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUfan
Laffy,

Probably the best post I've seen on this forum in years.  I agree with your analysis 100%.

Keep it up.



I would only say ... probably the best post here I have ever seen... great job!
bruin

Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #9 
AGREED.
iwitness

Registered:
Posts: 1,184
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn4203

". On the other side of the coin... look at football. Pac-10 isnt anywhere near rivaling the SEC anytime soon."
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Look at the bowl records of each conference last year and then check back with me on that.



regarding softball supremecy... However I have been observing alot of the bickering involving SEC vs Pac-10 and thought I'd share my thoughts. I'm looking for INTELLIGENT discussion about the conferences. If you can't share a mature opinion please dont reply for the sake of everyone else.

You violated the instructions!!!!

FOUL!!!!
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,920
Reply with quote  #11 
As far fetched as this may sound.....is there someone that can or does have the offensive numbers for both the Pac10 and the Sec.....
I would be interested in comparing them..


__________________
I voted for Trump. 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,809
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Beautiful post, and I have one question.  What is your opinion on how the growth of softball will trickle down on the East coast?  Do you think in 10 years or so, we will see people not just recruiting the talent from the West, but finally the HS and travel ball in the East has picked up enough to recruit heavily from East as well?  Or how many years before that shift occurs (sorry that is two question, my bad.)


Well, occasionally you'll stumble across an Ashley Brignac here and there, but compared to the talent out west its not even a close comparison. I think it will be at least 10 years before you see east coast teams with more east coast players. The travel clubs are getting more serious, but compared to the attitude and environment out west, the east is still so far behind right now when it comes to growing talent. They have made big strides at the collegiate level with alot of the SEC schools POURING money into their softball programs, however all thats doing right now is increasing its appeal to the west coasters they are recruiting. I really think the east coast schools need to promote softball more at a younger age and more local level. Get involved more with camps, clinics, etc. that can help develop talent but also promote the game. There is softball talent down here, however its going to take some time before you really start to see it blossom.



I think that is very much true, but also, when you look at women's sports in the South, there is a larger population that are hoping to get into college athletics through other sports: women's basketball, track and field, etc. I think as you said, it needs to get down to the younger generation and their parents that you can go further in softball.  From what I have seen, there is a talent level that is there, there is just no one to develop it.
SballfanNBama

Registered:
Posts: 956
Reply with quote  #13 

I'd like to add that I know at least in the state of Alabama that 6 or 7 years ago some schools in this state were still slow pitch!! While in 15 years the SEC has done some things there is still a long way to go in the south for softball one of these days the SEC will be where the PAC-10 is

Gonein2point6

Registered:
Posts: 3,846
Reply with quote  #14 
Did I hear that U Dub has only been playing for 17 years?
Is that correct? If so wow.

__________________
"Do you have a light can you make me feel alright
There's plenty of white to go around
Do you think its right when you hit me to the ground
Well, light me up when I'm down"
Wolfpackfan

Registered:
Posts: 1,918
Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonein2point6
Did I hear that U Dub has only been playing for 17 years?
Is that correct? If so wow.
Now There's The Best Post Ever!!!!!

 


__________________
Go Pack!!!!!!!!!!!
uclart47

Registered:
Posts: 10,533
Reply with quote  #16 

Great post Laffy though I do have a few disagreements.
Second, I see people say "blah blah blah its been 13yrs SEC still without a title blah blah blah". The SEC wasnt even a conference in softball 15 years ago. They're dealing with being a "new" conference and having to recruit against the Pac-10 whose legacy and lore has a stranglehold on the talent in the nation. It took years and years before the SEC could actually convince quality players they had a chance of winning NOT on the west coast. Now players are seeing that the SEC is a legit conference, that they are competitive, and that they will have the chance to win. The result is the talent is starting to balance out, west coast players are starting to venture out to the east and finding success and laying down the foundation for the others.I think the new conference card has about played itself out. Most kids don't have a great sense of history and what UCLA and Arizona were doing 15 years ago doesn't affect them. To a great extent recruits have a choice between tradition and building something new. The West produces more players than they can assimilate so there are always plenty of candidates for other conferences. Then there are those diamonds in the rough who are always out there to be discovered and develop into stars on your watch. While the West is still the hot bed of talent, it's not the only source. There seemed to be a lot of players from Illinois playing at OKC this year. It's also important to remember that for the last 3 years the SEC has come into the WCWS with the #1 team yet failed to win. It's no longer a question of competing with the Pac-10 but closing the deal.
 
Third, and I'm sure this is going to miff alot of people off... softball needs the SEC right now more than it needs the Pac-10. The Pac-10 has been wonderful for the sport, and has dominated the sport. However there is not much more expansion they can do for the west coast market. For softball to continue to GROW, it needs the SEC so they can get that east coast audience. You saw record numbers at this years WCWS, a big factor for that was the amount of SEC teams participating and the fanbases of the south. SEC schools have a borderline cult following, and as softball grows in the southeast the popularity will of course go up across the nation as more and more people will become involved. The expanded audiences will open more doors of oppurtunity to promote the sport and give all the young women across the nation who practice hard every day a bigger stage to compete on. Maybe the CHAMPIONSHIP games of the WCWS will actually be on ESPN and not ESPN2. ESPN chose MLB games that weren't even that big of a deal over the WCWS Championship Series to be their main broadcast. Talk about ESPN letting us know what they think of our viewer population.
 It's true, for the growth of softball nationally the Pac-10 needs to pass the torch. Trouble is they can't get anyone to take it. It would be great if a Big East or ACC team was competitive in the WCWS but those conferences are still way behind the SEC. The SEC has the football money and decent weather so there is no reason they shouldn't rival the Pac-10 for years to come. They need to follow the advice of Patrick Murphy and shut up until they do win something. Everyone may think Pac-10 fans arrogant but at least they have something to be arrogant about. It gets a little tired that every time a Georgia or LSU starts the season 10-0, someone is on here claiming the king is dead and the new king has a southern accent.


__________________
The best way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once. E. JOSEPH COSSMAN
toroman

Registered:
Posts: 1,203
Reply with quote  #17 
Laffy
I agree with you that the competition between Pac and Sec teams are a good thing for the sport.
Obviously it broadens the fan base.  If it is only a closed club of the few pac and cal teams then, who is watching the WCWS? a rhetorical question.

With new teams with rabid fan bases such as Florida, Alabama, and Georgia are thrown into the mix with a few from texas and michigan, that means MORE PEOPLE wathcing the sport that for years was watched by parents, family and friends ( and a few unconnected fans).  The base is increasing which is great for the sport of college softball.  That is why Both conferences and the other 28 are winners.  I would have loved to see other teams/conferences there too such as UMASS IOWA ULL and others, spread the wealth the more the merrier
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,920
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclart47

Great post Laffy though I do have a few disagreements.
Second, I see people say "blah blah blah its been 13yrs SEC still without a title blah blah blah". The SEC wasnt even a conference in softball 15 years ago. They're dealing with being a "new" conference and having to recruit against the Pac-10 whose legacy and lore has a stranglehold on the talent in the nation. It took years and years before the SEC could actually convince quality players they had a chance of winning NOT on the west coast. Now players are seeing that the SEC is a legit conference, that they are competitive, and that they will have the chance to win. The result is the talent is starting to balance out, west coast players are starting to venture out to the east and finding success and laying down the foundation for the others.I think the new conference card has about played itself out. Most kids don't have a great sense of history and what UCLA and Arizona were doing 15 years ago doesn't affect them. To a great extent recruits have a choice between tradition and building something new. The West produces more players than they can assimilate so there are always plenty of candidates for other conferences. Then there are those diamonds in the rough who are always out there to be discovered and develop into stars on your watch. While the West is still the hot bed of talent, it's not the only source. There seemed to be a lot of players from Illinois playing at OKC this year. It's also important to remember that for the last 3 years the SEC has come into the WCWS with the #1 team yet failed to win. It's no longer a question of competing with the Pac-10 but closing the deal.
 
Third, and I'm sure this is going to miff alot of people off... softball needs the SEC right now more than it needs the Pac-10. The Pac-10 has been wonderful for the sport, and has dominated the sport. However there is not much more expansion they can do for the west coast market. For softball to continue to GROW, it needs the SEC so they can get that east coast audience. You saw record numbers at this years WCWS, a big factor for that was the amount of SEC teams participating and the fanbases of the south. SEC schools have a borderline cult following, and as softball grows in the southeast the popularity will of course go up across the nation as more and more people will become involved. The expanded audiences will open more doors of oppurtunity to promote the sport and give all the young women across the nation who practice hard every day a bigger stage to compete on. Maybe the CHAMPIONSHIP games of the WCWS will actually be on ESPN and not ESPN2. ESPN chose MLB games that weren't even that big of a deal over the WCWS Championship Series to be their main broadcast. Talk about ESPN letting us know what they think of our viewer population.
 It's true, for the growth of softball nationally the Pac-10 needs to pass the torch. Trouble is they can't get anyone to take it. It would be great if a Big East or ACC team was competitive in the WCWS but those conferences are still way behind the SEC. The SEC has the football money and decent weather so there is no reason they shouldn't rival the Pac-10 for years to come. They need to follow the advice of Patrick Murphy and shut up until they do win something. Everyone may think Pac-10 fans arrogant but at least they have something to be arrogant about. It gets a little tired that every time a Georgia or LSU starts the season 10-0, someone is on here claiming the king is dead and the new king has a southern accent.



Whats wrong with a Southern Accent.....? HA HA HA
I may speak slow but it dont mean Im stupid.....(quote from the movie Sweet Home Alabama..)

__________________
I voted for Trump. 
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,920
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toroman
Laffy
I agree with you that the competition between Pac and Sec teams are a good thing for the sport.
Obviously it broadens the fan base.  If it is only a closed club of the few pac and cal teams then, who is watching the WCWS? a rhetorical question.

With new teams with rabid fan bases such as Florida, Alabama, and Georgia are thrown into the mix with a few from texas and michigan, that means MORE PEOPLE wathcing the sport that for years was watched by parents, family and friends ( and a few unconnected fans).  The base is increasing which is great for the sport of college softball.  That is why Both conferences and the other 28 are winners.  I would have loved to see other teams/conferences there too such as UMASS IOWA ULL and others, spread the wealth the more the merrier


For that matter think how close U Mass came from keeping Washington out of the mix completely.

__________________
I voted for Trump. 
fatboy35

Registered:
Posts: 263
Reply with quote  #20 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonein2point6
Did I hear that U Dub has only been playing for 17 years?
Is that correct? If so wow.

From the Husky website

 

HISTORY

Inaugural Season .............................................................. 1993

Laffy

Registered:
Posts: 1,034
Reply with quote  #21 

uclart47, I do agree with your points, probably could have done a better job with my explanation on the SEC being "new". My point about the SEC being "new" is that at first west coast players went to the east coast because their primary choices either didnt want them or didnt have room for them. The SEC was second on their lists. Lately (the past 5-6ish years) we've been seeing alot more west coast players choosing to go to the SEC because they want to build something new and great, and be a part of the foundation of the future. There is talent in other areas of the country besides the west, however as I pointed out, the development and overall amount of that talent isnt very much. The foundation thats been laid in the southeast from the west coast players who have come and gone is helping to make the sport more popular here. However, that said, the bulk of the top talent still remains on the west coast and as such you'll still see alot of SEC schools go after west coast players.

As far as the Pac-10 passing the torch, thats quite a torch to pass on and I dont know if there is anyone out there who is capable of carrying it just yet. What I do think the Pac-10 needs right now, and softball needs, is competition from another conference. The SEC is starting to provide that, but still hasn't gotten over that last hurdle. As an outsider looking in, the Pac-10 has so much to be proud of. There are some arrogant Pac-10 fans out there, but the majority of the ones I've talked to are simply proud of their conference and its great achievements, and there is nothing wrong with that! I dont let the few bad apples spoil the whole bunch! I also get annoyed when people on here post about the doomsday of the Pac-10 because a middle of the pack SEC team is a "whopping" 10-0 to start the season even though theres over 40 games left... so I am right there with you on that.  The SEC and the Pac-10 are equals right now in my opinion, clearly the Pac-10 has the edge in past achievements, but in the land of the present the Pac-10 and SEC stare at each other from level ground.


__________________
I don't hate stupid people, I just feel we should remove all warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
pounder

Registered:
Posts: 456
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Beautiful post, and I have one question.  What is your opinion on how the growth of softball will trickle down on the East coast?  Do you think in 10 years or so, we will see people not just recruiting the talent from the West, but finally the HS and travel ball in the East has picked up enough to recruit heavily from East as well?  Or how many years before that shift occurs (sorry that is two question, my bad.)


Well, occasionally you'll stumble across an Ashley Brignac here and there, but compared to the talent out west its not even a close comparison. I think it will be at least 10 years before you see east coast teams with more east coast players. The travel clubs are getting more serious, but compared to the attitude and environment out west, the east is still so far behind right now when it comes to growing talent. They have made big strides at the collegiate level with alot of the SEC schools POURING money into their softball programs, however all thats doing right now is increasing its appeal to the west coasters they are recruiting. I really think the east coast schools need to promote softball more at a younger age and more local level. Get involved more with camps, clinics, etc. that can help develop talent but also promote the game. There is softball talent down here, however its going to take some time before you really start to see it blossom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn4203
Look at the bowl records of each conference last year and then check back with me on that.


Look at who the Pac-10 played then look who the SEC played. Also look who won the National Championship. Anyway this isnt even about football, so go to a football forum or take it to PMs if you want to debate football conference supremecy with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounder
The biggest difference between the past and now is the quality of pitchers NOT playing in the PAC 10....The SEC and even the Big Ten are signing VERY good pitchers. It used to be all the best pitchers were all in the same conference, the PAC 10.. Not so anymore. The talent is being spread all over the country. Without the stud in the circle, you don`t have a chance at the CWS.


Kenzie Flower commited to Arizona... and her and that 0.048 ERA is just insane. Pac-10 didnt have much for pitching this season, however I dont think its going to stay like that for long.


OSU signed a pitcher from SoCal named Melanie Nichols, I`ll take her .48 also.

__________________
pounder
LMUfan

Registered:
Posts: 7,431
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDad
OSU signed a pitcher from SoCal named Melanie Nichols, I`ll take her .48 also.

Good luck to her at Oregon State!


Pat,  I think you misunderstood.  I believe she's at Oklahoma State. 
pounder

Registered:
Posts: 456
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDad
OSU signed a pitcher from SoCal named Melanie Nichols, I`ll take her .48 also.

Good luck to her at Oregon State!


Pat,  I think you misunderstood.  I believe she's at Oklahoma State. 
hardy har har

__________________
pounder
TheHammer

Registered:
Posts: 11,132
Reply with quote  #25 
ProudDad, i agree with you that even though PAC10 teams have won the last two series, yet the conference that has progressed is the SEC.
Pac10 teams are not as hot as they used to be and do not have the great AMERICAN players they used to have. Washington won because of a Canadian. UCLA, Cal, AZ, and the two Oregons have technically digressed.
Same with the Big West. The reason in my point of view is that recruiting and Charisma has lost its magic for them.
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,191
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclart47

I think the new conference card has about played itself out. Most kids don't have a great sense of history and what UCLA and Arizona were doing 15 years ago doesn't affect them.


On this I disagree, because on any telecast of any fastpitch game, the announcers will remind us all of that history.  

I would be inclined to agree if Arizona and UCLA had fallen on hard times and were no longer a factor in the championship hunt.  Every kid being recruited knows that Arizona and UCLA go to the WCWS "every year."  Not many remember Texas A&M won 3 national titles in the 80s, but if they had continued to make trips to the WCWS every year, their history would be discussed similarly to Arizona and UCLA.  JMHO   

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
TheHammer

Registered:
Posts: 11,132
Reply with quote  #27 

It seems you have forgotten that UCLA has not even made the Super regional 2 years out of 3.

pounder

Registered:
Posts: 456
Reply with quote  #28 
I think we are finally agreeing.
It has taken some time for the east of the mississippi teams to be able to recruit the amount of talent out of California they they are getting now. Why? Coaching has a lot to do with it..A lot of it is scholarship money. I will use Ohio St as an example, but I am sure it is the same idea at other non west coast schools. If Ohio St signs a west coast kid, she is guaranteed a full ride. The kids from Ohio get half rides, 10%-30%, books covered. A few get a full ride, but not many. Even if that SoCal kids is not as good as the Ohio kid,(it happens) she is still on a full ride...Not all the west coact kids pan out, but the vast majority at Ohio St. have. I can tell you that Brundage(UM pitching coach) has helped tremendiously at Michigan with landing west coast talent. Erica Beach (OSU pitching coach)at Ohio St. is having a similar effect. They both are also good at developing the pitchers.
Kids who may have went to Cal, or Fullerton, or even some who passed up on the PAC 10 top softball schools are making their way to the midwest, south and some to the east coast. They can accept a half ride and stay nearer to home of take the full ride at another awesome university.

__________________
pounder
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,191
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer

It seems you have forgotten that UCLA has not even made the Super regional 2 years out of 3.

Are you sure??  I believe they played in OKC in 2008 and played Missouri in a Super Regional in 2009.


__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
TheHammer

Registered:
Posts: 11,132
Reply with quote  #30 
O.K. mistake, didn't make the world series in 2007 & 2009
Didn't make the Super in 2007 only
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.