Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 5 of 16     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,861
Reply with quote  #121 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong3000
The softball season starts in 2 weeks and this whole situation is getting weirder every week. You now have 2 all world pitchers that are willing to red shirt a whole season instead of playing for this coach.


Their loss. ML is a great pitching coach.
aarong3000

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #122 
She might be a great pitching coach but so far she is struggling being a great current head coach!
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,861
Reply with quote  #123 
Tell me, Lombardi haters, who should UO have hired instead?
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,134
Reply with quote  #124 
Horses sure are expendable on this site. lol  Beat the crap out of them[rofl]
aarong3000

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #125 
I don’t hate anybody. Just because you are a great pitching that doesn’t mean that you will be a great head coach. A head coach is in control of everything. It’s a big difference and so far everything is turning out bad for this program!
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,861
Reply with quote  #126 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong3000
I don’t hate anybody. Just because you are a great pitching that doesn’t mean that you will be a great head coach. A head coach is in control of everything. It’s a big difference and so far everything is turning out bad for this program!


So again I ask, who would have made a better choice? Name names.
Chester45

Registered:
Posts: 200
Reply with quote  #127 
I wonder if she had it to do again if she’d stay at OU and be the head coach in waiting? Seems like a sweet deal right now even if she had to wait.
aarong3000

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #128 
Right now, a coach that could’ve actually kept the top players on the team and didn’t have players leaving the team 2 weeks before the season starts RahOku. That would be a good start.

The season starts in 2 weeks, let’s see how everything turns out!
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 807
Reply with quote  #129 
The more I hear about the entire story, the more I'm inclined to think it falls something like - 80% allegiance to MW and anger with AD/OU administration and 20% ML.  It seems like the issues with her were more of a last straw/piling on over the way the MW negotiations went and what they were told about it, and less of an issue where they were perfectly content and she came in and ruined it with her "culture."  I think she walked into a situation she either didn't have all the information about, or she misread/underestimated the damage the administration did in the MW negotiations and how it would affect most of the players.  She gave them the push off the cliff they needed to leave, if they hadn't already made up their minds.  It was just the coming together of a couple of separate forces that spelled disaster.  That's what it looks like to me.
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 3,399
Reply with quote  #130 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2


If they planned their exit in the summer, the only way re-enrolling at Oregon makes any sense is if they felt like waiting until October 15th would limit Oregon's ability to block their transfers - if not by the express language in the rule, then by the pressure that comes with this new process.  Or, that it would give them some cover to make it look like they tried to make it work (which doesn't seem likely when 4 girls all end up with the old coach).


Even if Oregon had tried to block their transfer over the summer through not supporting waiving the transfer penalties, they still would have had the portal as an escape hatch. Oregon could have tried to block them this fall, but didn't - schools generally don't these days, because it gives them a black eye.

White said they (the four Texas transfers) wanted to stay together. If two initially wanted to stay and two wanted to go, staying would have been the default option.
RELAX

Registered:
Posts: 390
Reply with quote  #131 
Question... Were there any players on the Texas roster this fall that aren't still around for Spring? I was wondering if White had to get into Texas and remove some players to free up money before the Oregon kids could transfer. 
Softball98mom

Registered:
Posts: 437
Reply with quote  #132 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX
Question... Were there any players on the Texas roster this fall that aren't still around for Spring? I was wondering if White had to get into Texas and remove some players to free up money before the Oregon kids could transfer. 


Scholarships are for the entire school year, not semester to semester. Now if some left on their own then money would have been freed up.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,865
Reply with quote  #133 
Also, all the out-of-staters can handle what is needed
Cletis

Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #134 
Or do what some schools do after Fall Ball and tell some scholarship players that they won’t be seeing any playing time so they should consider transferring. That would also free up monies. Not all that uncommon.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,861
Reply with quote  #135 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong3000
Right now, a coach that could’ve actually kept the top players on the team and didn’t have players leaving the team 2 weeks before the season starts RahOku. That would be a good start.

The season starts in 2 weeks, let’s see how everything turns out!


Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's difficult to see what Oregon might've done differently, given the obvious connection between Mike White and these players. They liked playing for The Kiwi -- a lot. So, given the opportunity to join him in Austin, they went. I just don't see why this has to be Lombardi's fault, as though if they'd just picked so-and-so, Elish and the others would've stayed. 

I'll ask again: If not Lombardi, then who at Oregon? They weren't going to get someone like Rachel Lawson or Courtney Deifel, were they? Maybe a mid-major HC. But seriously, would they have turned the keys over to someone from a smaller program, and would that person have been able to keep those players in Eugene? Only a guess, but probably anyone coming in would've had a hard time keeping those players from rejoining MW in Austin.

If it's otherwise, I'm ready to be informed. Who else was on Oregon's radar screen instead of Lombardi? Who would've been a better choice? And don't just say anyone who would've kept top players from leaving. Who is that, because if the players -- as they were entitled to do -- wanted to leave to be with MW, that's what they were going to do. 


TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 1,538
Reply with quote  #136 
I have experience dealing with college softball players. Yeah, I'll bet some of them had this crazy allegiance to White. But they are in a great school with a great program and leaving that program before they play a game is a bit over the top. I am sure a mob mentality swept the team because of the negativity of the new coach. These girls build up friendships, associations, boyfriends, girlfriends, their academic major etc. and to leave all of that for one remaining year would not be a common response to a coaching change. This ML had to without a doubt, come in like a steam roller and made this happen. No different than what happened at Maryland.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,865
Reply with quote  #137 

Mike Roberts could have been a good choice for the idea of the 2019 and 2020 seasons... whereas Melyssa Lombardi may still be the better long-term option, who knows.

He was a former Mike White assistant (He is on a short list of assistant coaches to have gone to a Final Four with multiple schools), a gregarious Kiwi and, obviously, highly regarded by the best returning player on the team.

With the continuum of excellence the Ducks have had, IMO, Oregon should have maintained some DNA from the White years in the coaching staff, head or assistants

 

scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,795
Reply with quote  #138 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU


Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's difficult to see what Oregon might've done differently, given the obvious connection between Mike White and these players. They liked playing for The Kiwi -- a lot. So, given the opportunity to join him in Austin, they went. I just don't see why this has to be Lombardi's fault, as though if they'd just picked so-and-so, Elish and the others would've stayed. 

I'll ask again: If not Lombardi, then who at Oregon? They weren't going to get someone like Rachel Lawson or Courtney Deifel, were they? Maybe a mid-major HC. But seriously, would they have turned the keys over to someone from a smaller program, and would that person have been able to keep those players in Eugene? Only a guess, but probably anyone coming in would've had a hard time keeping those players from rejoining MW in Austin.

If it's otherwise, I'm ready to be informed. Who else was on Oregon's radar screen instead of Lombardi? Who would've been a better choice? And don't just say anyone who would've kept top players from leaving. Who is that, because if the players -- as they were entitled to do -- wanted to leave to be with MW, that's what they were going to do. 




Rah, surely it's become obvious to you by now that all these "fans" who are blaming ML for the mass exodus at Oregon are doing so for one reason and one reason only: They are extremely jealous of the University of Oklahoma softball program and they basically hate anyone who's now or ever had been associated with it.

Add to that the fact that many of these same folks hate anyone who professes even a basic belief in a higher being, and you've got a sure-fire recipe for character assassination on the grandest of scales.

Melyssa Lombardi is a high character person and a credit to her profession. And given the opportunity, she will carry on the legacy of the top tier softball program that Mike White started at UO. But, damned if I don't wish she had remained an assistant coach for a while longer and not have subjected herself to the hateful rhetoric and verbal abuse she's getting from people who seem to believe they are exacting revenge on someone who was a part of everything they hate.
Oatmealsmoke

Registered:
Posts: 101
Reply with quote  #139 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Rah, surely it's become obvious to you by now that all these "fans" who are blaming ML for the mass exodus at Oregon are doing so for one reason and one reason only: They are extremely jealous of the University of Oklahoma softball program and they basically hate anyone who's now or ever had been associated with it.

Add to that the fact that many of these same folks hate anyone who professes even a basic belief in a higher being, and you've got a sure-fire recipe for character assassination on the grandest of scales.

Melyssa Lombardi is a high character person and a credit to her profession. And given the opportunity, she will carry on the legacy of the top tier softball program that Mike White started at UO. But, damned if I don't wish she had remained an assistant coach for a while longer and not have subjected herself to the hateful rhetoric and verbal abuse she's getting from people who seem to believe they are exacting revenge on someone who was a part of everything they hate.


Laughably off base. I can assure you that nobody here in Oregon is worried about anything that takes place in Oklahoma. There might be a few Big12 folks who have OU issues, but of the factors at work in Eugene, OU jealousy doesn’t register one bit.

If you’re confident that coach Lombardi will carry on or match the success that White has had, let’s start from the beginning and take character, jealousy, and everything else out of it. White took a losing team and won a regional in year one and made the WCWS in year three. How do you predict Lombardi will do over the same timeline?

Oregon in the year before White was 16-34 and did not qualify for a regional

Year 0 - 16-34; No postseason
Year 1 - White: 35-21; Super Regional
Year 2 - White: 42-16; Super Regional
Year 3 - White: 45-18; WCWS

Oregon in the year before Lombardi was 53-10 with a WCWS trip.

Year 0 - 53-10; WCWS
Year 1: Lombardi:
Year 2: Lombardi:
Year 3: Lombardi:

For an added bonus, which coach do you think will have greater success over the next 3 years?
Oatmealsmoke

Registered:
Posts: 101
Reply with quote  #140 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

Mike Roberts could have been a good choice for the idea of the 2019 and 2020 seasons... whereas Melyssa Lombardi may still be the better long-term option, who knows.

He was a former Mike White assistant (He is on a short list of assistant coaches to have gone to a Final Four with multiple schools), a gregarious Kiwi and, obviously, highly regarded by the best returning player on the team.

With the continuum of excellence the Ducks have had, IMO, Oregon should have maintained some DNA from the White years in the coaching staff, head or assistants

 



Roberts would have been my first choice, but I’m told he was not seriously considered, FWIW. Probably too close to the Mike White mold for the Mullens/Peterson brain trust to handle.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,865
Reply with quote  #141 
I may have hired him just to create the organic tension between him and White if I truly believed the latter would be coming after my players
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,049
Reply with quote  #142 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmealsmoke


Roberts would have been my first choice, but I’m told he was not seriously considered, FWIW. Probably too close to the Mike White mold for the Mullens/Peterson brain trust to handle.


Roberts was considered, and had a couple of interviews. I think he was Peterson's choice, but Mullens wanted someone with more name recognition. Be careful what you wish for.

As far as future success it's often predicated on current success. Players like to go to winning teams. Oregon will not be a winning team this year and probably not next year either, barring some high level transfers.

scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,795
Reply with quote  #143 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmealsmoke


Laughably off base. I can assure you that nobody here in Oregon is worried about anything that takes place in Oklahoma. There might be a few Big12 folks who have OU issues, but of the factors at work in Eugene, OU jealousy doesn’t register one bit.

If you’re confident that coach Lombardi will carry on or match the success that White has had, let’s start from the beginning and take character, jealousy, and everything else out of it. White took a losing team and won a regional in year one and made the WCWS in year three. How do you predict Lombardi will do over the same timeline?

Oregon in the year before White was 16-34 and did not qualify for a regional

Year 0 - 16-34; No postseason
Year 1 - White: 35-21; Super Regional
Year 2 - White: 42-16; Super Regional
Year 3 - White: 45-18; WCWS

Oregon in the year before Lombardi was 53-10 with a WCWS trip.

Year 0 - 53-10; WCWS
Year 1: Lombardi:
Year 2: Lombardi:
Year 3: Lombardi:

For an added bonus, which coach do you think will have greater success over the next 3 years?


Remind me, sir (madam): where in my post did I mention the fans/citizens of Oregon? My comments were aimed at the softball fans who post outlandish remarks on this board. Jumping to conclusions seems as common on this board as in every other social media venue.

And how many different ways must I declare my admiration and respect for Mike White and the job he did as coach of the Ducks? I'm in no way saying that Mrs. Lombardi is a better coach, or even as good, as White. My point was this: Melyssa Lombardi played no role in the debacle that sent MW to UT. Her only sin was to say "yes" when given the opportunity to take over the reins of a highly successful program that needed a new coach. Instead of looking to crucify her and blame her for "destroying" the UO Softball program, why not offer her your encouragement, along with hopes that she and the Duck program will succeed?
aarong3000

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #144 
Here's an idea. Go to Maggie Balint's instagram or twitter page and read what she just posted. Its sad that people will NEVER take the side of the players in these type of situations!
TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 1,538
Reply with quote  #145 
Let's face it, they wanted a woman head coach. Forget Robert's chances to be hired.
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 9,209
Reply with quote  #146 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball98mom


Scholarships are for the entire school year, not semester to semester. Now if some left on their own then money would have been freed up.

Don’t believe the second part is true. Once scholarship dollars are allocated for the year they are off the table even if the player leaves. Had a pitcher leave at my kids school after fall and coach said she could not use that money for other kids

__________________
RIP Mark Campbell
Truly one of the best there was
Victory USA. OC BatBusters. Pacifica HS
Southie

Registered:
Posts: 747
Reply with quote  #147 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong3000
Here's an idea. Go to Maggie Balint's instagram or twitter page and read what she just posted. Its sad that people will NEVER take the side of the players in these type of situations!

Exactly.  Read it in Maggie's own words. 

Why someone like janiedough continues to use this board to insult players who are going through these transfers is beyond me. 
Oatmealsmoke

Registered:
Posts: 101
Reply with quote  #148 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southie

Exactly.  Read it in Maggie's own words. 

Why someone like janiedough continues to use this board to insult players who are going through these transfers is beyond me. 


My rule of thumb anymore is to pretty much always side with the player. They're the ones who only get one go-around, and who (along with their families) are on the hook for the costs long after the playing career ends. I get the frustration regarding the ease with which kids can just up and transfer if they don't like a situation and that from time to time it'll be abused. On the other hand, I'm not at all comfortable remedying the minor abuses by restricting everyone else.
Oatmealsmoke

Registered:
Posts: 101
Reply with quote  #149 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


 My point was this: Melyssa Lombardi played no role in the debacle that sent MW to UT.



This is a totally fair and valid point. She very likely is receiving some unfair scorn that should properly be directed at the Oregon administration. She should not shoulder any blame for White leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Her only sin was to say "yes" when given the opportunity to take over the reins of a highly successful program that needed a new coach.



This is where the debate comes in. We can all agree that "blame" (which I think is the wrong word, but for discussion, it's as simple as we can be) can be apportioned between UO, White, Lombardi, and the outgoing players. I'm not willing to assign any blame whatsoever to players looking to get the most out of their fleetingly brief college careers, so let's pull that one back. I'll grant that reasonable minds can differ with respect to the remaining three.

If the 4 players who went to Texas were the only departures, I'd lay it all on UO, as I don't believe White has tampered so much as simply provided a comfortable landing spot. However, when you've got numerous other top-flite players who have also left or are looking to leave, and comments both on and off the record about players being "miserable" under Lombardi, some of the blame definitely rolls in that direction as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Instead of looking to crucify her and blame her for "destroying" the UO Softball program, why not offer her your encouragement, along with hopes that she and the Duck program will succeed?


I really hope she does succeed. But I also think that a coach with either some HC experience or a better knowledge of the local landscape (and preferably with experience in more than one program/system) could have more nimbly handled an obviously difficult situation. It looks like Lombardi found herself in a bit of a hole that wasn't of her own making, but that the only way she's tried to get out was to keep digging.
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,207
Reply with quote  #150 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal
Horses sure are expendable on this site. lol  Beat the crap out of them[rofl]


Now you have me wishing I would have bought stock in that glue factory.  Damn it

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.