Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 18 of 18     «   Prev   15   16   17   18
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,338
Reply with quote  #511 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
She has huge shoes to fill.

She wins a natty, she will advance the program.

Rooting for her, and, especially, the sophomores, juniors and seniors left in Eugene


I take that to mean Mike White has big feet.

LOL. JK. Yes, White took the Ducks to new heights. Here's hoping Missy will take the program to the pinnacle.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,585
Reply with quote  #512 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
She has huge shoes to fill.

She wins a natty, she will advance the program.

Rooting for her, and, especially, the sophomores, juniors and seniors left in Eugene


All she has to do is get to the cs to advance the program.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #513 
https://twitter.com/OregonSB/status/1018964628548739072
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #514 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough


All she has to do is get to the cs to advance the program.
Well, short of a natty win, a cs appearance is only worth so much. Especially if a) you aren't winning a Pac title or reaching OKC better than every other year.

So, yes, cs could be in the mix of an advancement, but it can't be in a vacuum surrounded by losses in supers or worse.

A natty and -- I agree -- fond remembrances of  the previous guy fade, except in the context of having gotten the program on its elite feet.

3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #515 
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OwxWWDzaeAxQ
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #516 
A Candrea retirement away from the Pac being the Big Ten in one way
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 122
Reply with quote  #517 
There is a big difference between being an assistant coach at OU and being the head coach at Oregon. She will spend a lot less time coaching and will have quite an adjustment. Obviously she is a great hire but an adjustment period is coming.  
__________________
 
Webfoot

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #518 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor
There is a big difference between being an assistant coach at OU and being the head coach at Oregon. She will spend a lot less time coaching and will have quite an adjustment. Obviously she is a great hire but an adjustment period is coming.  


It is different out here in the Pac-12 whether it is good or bad but Kip @ UCLA, formerly White @ Oregon and Tarr @ Washington all spend/spent time a lot of coaching over administrating.  Assistants  pick up the other coaching duties as assistants.  Maybe in other areas a coach is more of an administrator?  I think the job is defined by the way you want it as a coach.  She does not seem to be an administrator type of coach but actively involved with the individual player?

I would still place her as a top four in hires this year btw. She will do fine.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,944
Reply with quote  #519 
<< There is a big difference between being an assistant coach at OU and being the head coach at Oregon. She will spend a lot less time coaching and will have quite an adjustment. Obviously she is a great hire but an adjustment period is coming. >> (Doctor)

Working with the pitchers and catchers... developing and elevating their talents... 
is what ML has been doing for a LONG time. She will continue to do so.
And THAT is the biggest part of this game.
Webfoot

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #520 
Articles on Missy Lombardi and Oregon

https://goducks.com/news/2018/7/16/softball-lombardi-ducks-see-perfect-match.aspx



https://goducks.com/news/2018/7/13/lombardi-hire-earns-rave-reviews-around-softball-world.aspx
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 772
Reply with quote  #521 
I’m LOL’ing that some of you seem to think that all the administrative work on a coaching staff falls to the head coach. Believe me, most every assistant is VERY familiar with the administrative end of the job. Especially one who has been at it for 21 years.
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 706
Reply with quote  #522 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ
I’m LOL’ing that some of you seem to think that all the administrative work on a coaching staff falls to the head coach. Believe me, most every assistant is VERY familiar with the administrative end of the job. Especially one who has been at it for 21 years.


I would think it depends largely on the head coach and the proclivities of the assistant. From assistants I've known in big programs at least, most administrative tasks were undertaken by the head coach unless the assistant really showed interest and proficiency, and even then there are certain head coaches who really want to control that side of things.  Recruiting may be the exception if one considers that administrative. I've asked a couple assistants who have moved on to being head coaches and they've said there is a huge learning curve on the administrative side of things.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #523 
Every player and assistant's problem is your problem
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 706
Reply with quote  #524 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Every player and assistant's problem is your problem


Exactly. And, many of the athletic department's problems, AD's problems and SWA's problems are your problems too.
Webfoot

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #525 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Exactly. And, many of the athletic department's problems, AD's problems and SWA's problems are your problems too.



........And many of the conference problems and big donors problems is your problem too.

And yet some still complain about the coaches salaries...............
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #526 
LOL.... not at Oregon
Scupino

Registered:
Posts: 434
Reply with quote  #527 
ML from $185 to $340 with $10 added every year.
Perhaps from a good PC to a good HC.

scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,338
Reply with quote  #528 
Well, duh. Dealing with problems like those mentioned above is why head coaches are better paid than their assistants.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,585
Reply with quote  #529 
I was at the Arizona Softball Hall of Fame yesterday in Prescott and look who I found on the wall.  I always wondered where Lombardi played before she went to Oklahoma. I should have figured as CAC sent a ton of players into D1.  She is a Clint Myers protege also.

[image] 

3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #530 
Wow... just a day trip to Prescott, huh?

GREAT get.... but how the heck did you post a personal pic on here?
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,585
Reply with quote  #531 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Wow... just a day trip to Prescott, huh?

GREAT get.... but how the heck did you post a personal pic on here?



I was in Lake Havasu jet-boating for a couple days then drove to Prescott to house shop for a couple more days while visiting a great high school friend, so much fun and Prescott is a killer place!

I posted the pic to Facebook then opened it in a separate window and pasted the address into the url box here and voila!
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 6,286
Reply with quote  #532 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



I was in Lake Havasu jet-boating for a couple days then drove to Prescott to house shop for a couple more days while visiting a great high school friend, so much fun and Prescott is a killer place!

I posted the pic to Facebook then opened it in a separate window and pasted the address into the url box here and voila!


Yea Prescott is awesome. I spent a lot of time at The Palace on Whiskey Row while going to school there. That town square is a national treasure.

__________________

"Let's work together and put all this behind you."

1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,585
Reply with quote  #533 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyGrayce


Yea Prescott is awesome. I spent a lot of time at The Palace on Whiskey Row while going to school there. That town square is a national treasure.


I love Prescott, and played in many softball tourneys at the old rock stadium right next to the old armory, where the Hall of Fame is.  Such an outstanding city.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.