Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Clemons

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #1 
Heard tonight that coach smith is not traveling with the team this weekend. Any thoughts on this? Seems unusual for a opening weekend.
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 9,148
Reply with quote  #2 
FBI is investigating the disappearance of multiple scholarship players. Could be a serial crime
__________________
2020 gonna be flossy af.
No idea what you are talking about. I click it and read it
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 805
Reply with quote  #3 
 9m9 minutes ago

head coach Mike Smith will not be with the team for opening weekend due to, "not meeting the university's expectations for operating the program."
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,932
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
 9m9 minutes ago

head coach Mike Smith will not be with the team for opening weekend due to, "not meeting the university's expectations for operating the program."


Ruh roh. This is the last thing the Hotty Todders need.
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 1,416
Reply with quote  #5 

Coach Mike Smith suspended....


https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2019/02/06/ole-miss-softball-head-coach-mike-smith-suspended-for-opening-weekend/

Mangler

Registered:
Posts: 215
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazsdad
FBI is investigating the disappearance of multiple scholarship players. Could be a serial crime


He's a ****bag and you know it.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 810
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
 9m9 minutes ago

head coach Mike Smith will not be with the team for opening weekend due to, "not meeting the university's expectations for operating the program."


Not surprising considering who the coach is
SJ28

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler


He's a ****bag and you know it.

Throw the bum out
Clemons

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #9 
Sounds like potentially recruiting violations. But you’d think that would be handled internally. There’s got to be more to this story that goes deeper than 1-2 off season incidents.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,527
Reply with quote  #10 
Or maybe it’s the fact he’s cutting more players than he’s bringing in.
SECFan13

Registered:
Posts: 68
Reply with quote  #11 
Cutting players (or forcing them out). Having issues with sexual orientation., Belittleing players and making his players miserable would be my guess..... Players have been reporting these things to the AD for a long time. I am surprised it has taken this long for OM to do anything about it.
Softball98mom

Registered:
Posts: 434
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan13
Cutting players (or forcing them out). Having issues with sexual orientation., Belittleing players and making his players miserable would be my guess..... Players have been reporting these things to the AD for a long time. I am surprised it has taken this long for OM to do anything about it.


What did they do? Not let him coach for one weekend of games? Seems insignificant...
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 805
Reply with quote  #13 
I think it's more significant that they made it a visible punishment, which forced them to make a public statement about it.  Curious if someone is going to do some digging/reporting and get some answers as to what's going on. 

I'd be surprised if it's directly related to cutting players.  That happens other places too, and in other sports.  But may if he was completely ignoring the accepted norms about how you gently move someone out of your program and was threatening them with cutting their scholarship for other reasons to get them to leave, that would rise to the level of a public admonishment.  Who knows.
BullDogFan007

Registered:
Posts: 41
Reply with quote  #14 
https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Opening-Day-Arrives-For-Ole-Miss-Softball-128830544/

"The university has declined to define exactly what "not meeting the university's expectations for operating the program" means and released that significant information at noon on Wednesday in the midst of national signing day for football and buried deep inside a press release previewing the team's appearance at the Friends of Jaclyn Tournament taking place in Orlando today through Sunday."
SECFan13

Registered:
Posts: 68
Reply with quote  #15 
Posted on a Rebel Facebook Page:

"secondary violation where he had a recruit on campus during a dead period which was during the softball CWS and supposedly common knowledge among the team"
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 4,358
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan13
Posted on a Rebel Facebook Page:

"secondary violation where he had a recruit on campus during a dead period which was during the softball CWS and supposedly common knowledge among the team"


Can you link?
RELAX

Registered:
Posts: 388
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan13
Posted on a Rebel Facebook Page:

"secondary violation where he had a recruit on campus during a dead period which was during the softball CWS and supposedly common knowledge among the team"


This is what I just heard from someone. They said the staff self reported when they realized what had happened later that same day. I was told it was the first day of the dead period. I believe they let the team know everything very early in the fall.

Ole Miss is obviously not in a position where any NCAA violations are acceptable. I'm sure they had to come down hard on them.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,762
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan13
Cutting players (or forcing them out). Having issues with sexual orientation., Belittleing players and making his players miserable would be my guess..... Players have been reporting these things to the AD for a long time. I am surprised it has taken this long for OM to do anything about it.


His own, the players' or someone else's?
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 9,148
Reply with quote  #19 
He is not so accepting of players choosing certain lifestyles. Also has issues with players wearing yoga pants, or at least he did. Lol
__________________
2020 gonna be flossy af.
No idea what you are talking about. I click it and read it
RELAX

Registered:
Posts: 388
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazsdad
He is not so accepting of players choosing certain lifestyles. Also has issues with players wearing yoga pants, or at least he did. Lol


Sounds like ML and Oregon
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,762
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX


Sounds like ML and Oregon


Did aawrong change his user name?
ssrules

Registered:
Posts: 206
Reply with quote  #22 
He knows the rules. I don't care if it was the first day of the dead period. If you are a real Coach, you know when you can and can not have student athletes on your campus. But he makes his own rules. It is well known that he had a recruit on campus during the dead period. Also he has fixed the books about going over practice time. I don't know if anyone turned him in for that. But I have known players that play for him that he specifically told 'not to say anything or you will be in trouble'.
SECFan13

Registered:
Posts: 68
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrules
He knows the rules. I don't care if it was the first day of the dead period. If you are a real Coach, you know when you can and can not have student athletes on your campus. But he makes his own rules. It is well known that he had a recruit on campus during the dead period. Also he has fixed the books about going over practice time. I don't know if anyone turned him in for that. But I have known players that play for him that he specifically told 'not to say anything or you will be in trouble'.


Totally agree! And One would think with all the BS Ole Miss has been through with the NCAA the last several years that they wouldn’t put up with a coach that pulls this crap. He needs to GO! Time will tell.
RELAX

Registered:
Posts: 388
Reply with quote  #24 
Since this is a thread about the 2019 season...
Ole Miss wins their first game of the year against UCF 3-0.
SJ28

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #25 
Dumb Mowatt should have stayed.
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 9,148
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX
Since this is a thread about the 2019 season...
Ole Miss wins their first game of the year against UCF 3-0.

Are you saying the coach getting suspended for the first weekend is not pertinent to the 2019 season?
Oh, and they lost to Ohio State

__________________
2020 gonna be flossy af.
No idea what you are talking about. I click it and read it
RELAX

Registered:
Posts: 388
Reply with quote  #27 
Of course not, and I didn’t say that. If the thread had been “Ole Miss coach suspended”, I wouldn’t have thought to put a score. Since it is labeled “Ole Miss 2019”, I figured it appropriate to put the results of the first game of the season.
SECFan13

Registered:
Posts: 68
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ28
Dumb Mowatt should have stayed.


Why in the world would she have wanted to do that? She is now working with a coach who appreciates her and values her.
SJ28

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan13


Why in the world would she have wanted to do that? She is now working with a coach who appreciates her and values her.

I guess Arizona Coors Light tastes better than Ole Miss CL.
sMurph

Registered:
Posts: 642
Reply with quote  #30 

When there is this much smoke regarding an out of control coach, there is fire. His homophobia has long been known about. Add his arrogance that he thinks he can ignore NCAA recruiting rules and practice time rules and threaten players if they say anything … and you have a coach who is NOT an asset but a major problem. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.