Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 11 of 11     «   Prev   8   9   10   11
LongBallGuru

Registered:
Posts: 219
Reply with quote  #301 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Yep. Fact is, the Sooners would have never made it to the WCWS in 2016 or 2017, much less won both of them, without the contributions of Wodach and Arnold. To trivialize what those two young ladies meant to the program borders on criminal.

LOL.  Criminal?  Your world doesn't happen to revolve around Sooner softball does it?

__________________
Why run when you can just trot around the bases!
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,494
Reply with quote  #302 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBallGuru

LOL.  Criminal?  Your world doesn't happen to revolve around Sooner softball does it?


Actually, no. My world revolves around my God and my family. But thanks for asking.
LongBallGuru

Registered:
Posts: 219
Reply with quote  #303 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Actually, no. My world revolves around my God and my family. But thanks for asking.

You are welcome!

__________________
Why run when you can just trot around the bases!
LandLottery

Registered:
Posts: 333
Reply with quote  #304 
Earth to space cadets.  Wodach and Whitney (Ellis) Montgomery were excellent defensive catchers.  Not a lot of people tried to run on OU.  Wodach and Montgomery threw out a lot of people who tried.  There were only 29 stolen base attempts against OU in 2017.  We had players who, as individuals, attempted almost that many and had almost as many steals as the opposition teams.  I have yet to see the stats for this year.

Incidentally, that bases-loaded double that scored three in the final game over Florida in 2017----Wodach, Hatfield, and Arnold, the bottom three, led off the inning by getting on.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,494
Reply with quote  #305 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLottery
Earth to space cadets.  Wodach and Whitney (Ellis) Montgomery were excellent defensive catchers.  Not a lot of people tried to run on OU.  Wodach and Montgomery threw out a lot of people who tried.  There were only 29 stolen base attempts against OU in 2017.  We had players who, as individuals, attempted almost that many and had almost as many steals as the opposition teams.  I have yet to see the stats for this year.

Incidentally, that bases-loaded double that scored three in the final game over Florida in 2017----Wodach, Hatfield, and Arnold, the bottom three, led off the inning by getting on.


LOL, Land Lottery. You'll never get one poster, in particular, to admit that Lea Wodach was ever anything more than "a hole in the OU lineup."

Of course we both know Lea was a great player who helped the Sooners win back-to-back national titles. She wasn't a great hitter after her injury, but she continued to deliver offensively in clutch situations, just as you mentioned above.

We really shouldn't care what some "Space Cadet" thinks.
Oger

Registered:
Posts: 262
Reply with quote  #306 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


LOL, Land Lottery. You'll never get one poster, in particular, to admit that Lea Wodach was ever anything more than "a hole in the OU lineup."

Of course we both know Lea was a great player who helped the Sooners win back-to-back national titles. She wasn't a great hitter after her injury, but she continued to deliver offensively in clutch situations, just as you mentioned above.

We really shouldn't care what some "Space Cadet" thinks.

Whitney Ellis? She's the last Catcher we had that was any good and that was a few years ago. No need to worry though, Lynnsie Elam will have several on here wondering why she was not getting more playing time last year. Player's stood behind Wodach so it was what it was. I've always believed that the best player's play but that wasn't the case last year.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,494
Reply with quote  #307 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger

Whitney Ellis? She's the last Catcher we had that was any good and that was a few years ago. No need to worry though, Lynnsie Elam will have several on here wondering why she was not getting more playing time last year. Player's stood behind Wodach so it was what it was. I've always believed that the best player's play but that wasn't the case last year.


Did Lea Wodach steal your boyfriend? [biggrin]
Oger

Registered:
Posts: 262
Reply with quote  #308 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Did Lea Wodach steal your boyfriend? [biggrin]

Lmao Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the 110% effort that she put into the program and she is probably the most blue collar player I have seen in the Oklahoma program in many years. I don't mean anything personal with my constructive criticisms.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 2,151
Reply with quote  #309 
I kind of see the Lea Wodach situation both ways. I think she earned her spot in the starting lineup by doing what PG and ML wanted most: to be a very good catcher and manager of her teammates in the circle. Anything else was gravy. After Whitney Montgomery left, they didn't have a lot of choices. Hannah Sparks was brought in but she didn't hit well enough to be more than a backup. Heck, they even tried Alissa Dalton behind the dish during the 2017 season. Wodach was solid defensively and my guess is she was a leader in the clubhouse. And she's got two NC rings on her fingers. Not bad for a college career.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 2,923
Reply with quote  #310 
<< Wodach and Whitney (Ellis) Montgomery were excellent defensive catchers.  Not a lot of people tried to run on OU.  Wodach and Montgomery threw out a lot of people who tried.  There were only 29 stolen base attempts against OU in 2017.  We had players who, as individuals, attempted almost that many and had almost as many steals as the opposition teams.  I have yet to see the stats for this year. >> (LandLottery)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


LL - Believe it or not... the 29 stolen base attempts in 2017... were the MOST against an Oklahoma team in the last six years. 
And the CS% (the percentage of runners that were caught stealing) in the last two seasons - was the worst of the period for which I have the data.


The Oklahoma catchers were OUTSTANDING at throwing out base stealers for the 3 year period of 2014-16. But their rate dropped severely in 2017-18.

Opponent's base stealing vs. Oklahoma 2012-18 (SBA = Stolen Base Attempts):

Year     SBA    SB   CS    CS%
2018     22     17     5    24.1%
2017     29     22     7    22.7
2016     22      8    14    63.6
2015     12      4      8    66.6
2014     26    10    16    61.5
2013     23    16      7    30.4
2012     31    19    12    38.7

For this seven year period, the totals are 165 SBA,  96 SB and 69 CS for an average 41.8 CS%.


These are the CS% numbers for the primary catcher for those seasons (2012-18):

Year     SBA    SB   CS    CS%             Catcher
2018     19     15     4    21.1%     Lea Wodach
2017     18     12     6    33.3        Lea Wodach
2016     16      5    11    68.8        Lea Wodach
2015     11      4      7    63.6        Whitney Ellis
2014     25    10    15    60.0        Whitney Ellis
2013     17    13      4    23.5        Jessica Shults
2012     31    19    12    38.7        Jessica Shults

In 2012, Shults put up these excellent offensive stats (.378 BA, .461 OBP, .755 SLG, 1.216 OPS) while throwing out 39% of would be base stealers.
Her numbers dropped off dramaticly in 2013 (.281 BA, .408 OBP, .456 SLG, .864 OPS) and she threw out just 23.5% of the base stealers.
I'm pretty sure she was dealing with some injury problems in her senior season.

Whitney Ellis got to fill in at catcher a little bit in her freshman season (2013) and she threw out 3 of 6 base stealers (50.0%). She had a .150 BA.
Whitney became the full time catcher in her sophomore season (2014) and she had a very nice season offensively and defensively...
She had these batting numbers (.295 BA, .381 OBP, .534 SLG, .915 OPS, 10 HR, 21 EBH, 40 R, 50 RBI) and threw out 15 of 25 base stealers (60%).
Those were solid offensive stats... and tremendous CS stats in Whitney's first full season.
In her junior year (2015), her offensive stats remained good (.309 BA, .406 OBP, .507 SLG, .913 OPS) but her RBI fell in half from 50 - to just 24.
Opposing teams had learned to fear her arm - and almost never attempted to steal off her. They had only 4 SB with 7 CS (63.7% CS).
Whitney started 20 games her senior year (2016) and while her BA went up (.364) her SLG was down with just 1 HR and only 7 RBI. 
Her defense was still very good. She had thrown out 3 of the 6 attempted base stealers (50%).

But... at this point - PG decided that sophomore, Lea Wodach, was a better hitter... and was about as good defensively (which is saying a lot).
So she benched Whitney - and Wodach became the new starting catcher about a third of the way through the 2016 season.
Whitney sat out a few games... and then decided to quit the team. It was an awful ending for a player who had contributed a lot to OU.
She had gotten married, becoming Whitney Ellis Montgomery... and that may have contributed to her decision to leave when she did.

Wodach (who had been hitting over .400 when the switch was made) finished with .315 BA, .388 OBP, .514 SLG, .902 OPS).
And she threw out 11 of the 16 runners who tried to steal a base - for a fantastic 69% CS rate.

In 2017, Wodach suffered a serious hand injury - and her play fell off badly. She missed 9 games and then tried to play with the injured hand.
She hit poorly (.159 BA, .215 OBP, .195 OBP, .410 OPS) and her CS% dropped from that incredible 69% to 33% (6 CS out of 18 attempts).

In her senior year (2018) Wodach's hitting improved a lot from her horrendous 2017 stats (.258 BA, .378 OBP, .371 SLG, .749 OPS)... 
but her CS numbers went even further down hill. She threw out just 4 of 19 base stealers for a 21% CS rate.
This was the worst CS% (Lea's 21%) by an Oklahoma starting catcher during this period (2012-18).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For some perspective, during this 7 year period... Oklahoma stole 565 bases while being CS 140 times for a 21.1 CS%. 
So Oklahoma's catchers threw out base stealers at twice the rate that their opponents did over this 7 year period.

Looking at it from the SB perspective... Oklahoma's opponents were successful 58% of the time.
While Oklahoma's base stealers were successful 79% of the time.
And Oklahoma stole 400 more bases than their opponents over that 7 year period (565 to 165).
Oklahoma stole almost three and a half times as many bases as their opponents.
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,692
Reply with quote  #311 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
<< I'm not interested in just placing athletes at the Catcher position. We were able to get away with having that hole in the line up and win a couple titles strictly through superior talent at other positions and a little luck, that luck ran out last season. >> (Oger)


What "ran out" for us in 2018... 
was our ability to hit - in the WCWS.
Only one player managed to hit at her season level at OKC (Alo).
EVERY other hitter on the team... slumped badly in the WCWS.

Yes, they were up against great pitching... 
but that is part of the deal when you play at the WCWS.

If the team had managed to hit at just half of the level they had been doing in the post season before the WCWS... 
they would have won the two games they lost at OKC.  
They had averaged 8 runs a game in the regional games - and 8 runs a game in the super regional games... 
before they hit that brick wall at the WCWS. 

If they could have manged to put up 4 runs a game at OKC (half their output), they might have won it all.


Yeah and if Oregon would have split the difference with their regular season era and hit against the exact same team that beat ou (twice, to eliminate them) they might have won. And if Warren doesnt make that diving catch in game 1 of the final or WA did a better job managing its pitchers and pitch calling, then they may have won. But none of that happened. FL st got hot and stayed that way and took advantage of mistakes and good fortune along the way.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,299
Reply with quote  #312 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Yeah and if Oregon would have split the difference with their regular season era and hit against the exact same team that beat ou (twice, to eliminate them) they might have won. And if Warren doesnt make that diving catch in game 1 of the final or WA did a better job managing its pitchers and pitch calling, then they may have won. But none of that happened. FL st got hot and stayed that way and took advantage of mistakes and good fortune along the way.


that last sentence explains how championships can be won..  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.