Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 5 of 46     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #121 
No offense to Candrea (who I love listening to), but Gasso's accomplishment in getting the country's best prospects to come to -- not gonna use the Trump pejorative used for Haiti -- the heart of Tornado Alley while having a bottom-half in-state talent base and winning four titles, it is beyond-belief great and more impressive IMO than Arizona's accomplishments or certainly UCLA's
Scupino

Registered:
Posts: 434
Reply with quote  #122 
Might as well say u have a hard-on for PG.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,338
Reply with quote  #123 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scupino
Might as well say u have a hard-on for PG.


We've drifted into uncharted waters.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,944
Reply with quote  #124 
<< No offense to Candrea (who I love listening to), but Gasso's accomplishment in getting the country's best prospects to come to -- not gonna use the Trump pejorative used for Haiti -- the heart of Tornado Alley while having a bottom-half in-state talent base and winning four titles, it is beyond-belief great and more impressive IMO than Arizona's accomplishments or certainly UCLA's >> (3LT)

But still not as impressive as Mike White's accomplishments..?

; )
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,585
Reply with quote  #125 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Yep, that was a big-time performance. I'm hopeful we will return the favor this weekend.

As a Sooner fan, I've gotta believe PG is one of the top all-time coaches in college softball. I also believe MC is right up there with her.



Let's just put it in the proper order, shall we? First came Candrea, then came Gasso.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #126 

Would she have gone 24-0 in regionals in Oregon and averaged a 7.5 finish?.... It would be a close call. I don't think anyone could do better than he has done in freaking Eugene, Ore.

 

HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,944
Reply with quote  #127 
<< Would she have gone 24-0 in regionals in Oregon and averaged a 7.5 finish?.... It would be a close call. I don't think anyone could do better than he has done in freaking Eugene, Ore. >> (3LT)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's a question for ya, 3LT... 
Is it tougher to bring top level players to Eugene, Oregon... 
or Norman, Oklahoma..? 
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,944
Reply with quote  #128 
<< Would she have gone 24-0 in regionals in Oregon and averaged a 7.5 finish?.... It would be a close call. >> (3LT)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just for fun - here is a comparison of Gasso and White since he began at Oregon: 2010-2017.

Overall Record
Gasso  419-84  .833
White  383-101-1  .791

Regular Season Record
Gasso  360-70  .837
White  344-84  .804

Post Season Record
Gasso  59-14  .808
White  39-17  .696

Post Season Record Breakdown
Regionals
Gasso  25-2   .926
White  24-0  1.000

Super Regionals
Gasso  14-5  .737
White  10-9  .526

WCWS
Gasso  20-7  .741
White    5-8  .385

Patty Gasso's teams made it into 6 of the 8 WCWS.
Mike White's teams made it into 4 of the 8 WCWS.

Patty Gasso's teams won three titles.
Mike White's teams have never done better than 2-2 at the WCWS. 

====================================================

So... yes, White has gone 24-0 in regional play. His perfect record at the regional level is better than Gasso's 25-2 mark. 
BUT... both teams have advanced into the super regionals EVERY YEAR during the period (2010-2017).

The real story - is how they have done after getting beyond the regional level of play.
Patty's teams have gone 14-5 (.737) at the super regionals - while Mike's teams have gone just 10-9 (.526).

And the story becomes even more clear - at the WCWS level of play.
Patty's teams have gone 20-7 (.741) at the WCWS - while Mike's teams have gone just 5-8 (.385).
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,944
Reply with quote  #129 
To be fair... 
White was transforming Oregon into a top level program when he first started there.
His team went 0-2 in his first two trips to the super regionals in 2010 and 2011.

So here is a comparison between the two starting in 2012 - the first time Mike took his team to the WCWS.

Overall Records 2012-2017
Gasso  329-53  .861
White  305-64  .827

Regular Season Record
Gasso  279-44  .864
White  272-51  .842

Post Season Record
Gasso   50-9  .847
White  33-13  .717

Regionals
Gasso  19-1   .950
White  18-0  1.000

Super Regionals
Gasso  11-3  .786
White  10-5  .667

WCWS
Gasso  20-5  .800
White    5-8  .385

Mike White's super regional record of 10-5 (.667) is a lot better when we drop those first two seasons (when they went 0-4).
But it still doesn't measure up to Patty's .786 winning percentage at the super regionals during that period.


The really impressive thing about Gasso's record is that her team's W% is actually higher at the WCWS than it is at the super regionals.
Winning 80% of your games at the WCWS... is a pretty amazing record.
Chester45

Registered:
Posts: 104
Reply with quote  #130 
3LT is a keyboard warrior. I wish I had the money for the difference in what he actually knows and what he thinks he know's I'd be a millionaire.  But he's really a nice guy in person right? That is the  very definition of keyboard warrior. Arrogant and mouthy behind a computer but not so much face to face. 

Oregon fan base is really reminding more of Oklahoma St. the more we go along. Bringing up track and field championships on a softball board reminds me of the Poke talking about golf and wrestling during football season. The comparisons between White and Gasso are hilarious. If you want to cry and call it home cooking, luck or whatever BS you can pull out OU has a table full of national championship trophies, and Oregon has a dusty table waiting for one. Oh I guess you can throw those regional and super regional trophies on there and say damn we were better than average that year. As far as implying Oklahoma is a hell hole in tornado alley. It seems lots of those California girls like Chamberlain and and Destinee Martinez have bought homes and live here now so it must not be that bad. I can tell you the quality of person is way better than where they come from. And when did Arizona come into the conversation? How long has it been since they were relevant? That's like Notre Dame football. Was really good years ago. All you Pac 12 fans should be thankful for Oklahoma. The SEC would be winning it every year without them. And believe me you don't want to be around that chest pumping. God knows your  conference hasn't done anything to stop it in several years.


UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,275
Reply with quote  #131 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester45
3LT is a keyboard warrior. I wish I had the money for the difference in what he actually knows and what he thinks he know's I'd be a millionaire.  But he's really a nice guy in person right? That is the  very definition of keyboard warrior. Arrogant and mouthy behind a computer but not so much face to face. 

Oregon fan base is really reminding more of Oklahoma St. the more we go along. Bringing up track and field championships on a softball board reminds me of the Poke talking about golf and wrestling during football season. The comparisons between White and Gasso are hilarious. If you want to cry and call it home cooking, luck or whatever BS you can pull out OU has a table full of national championship trophies, and Oregon has a dusty table waiting for one. Oh I guess you can throw those regional and super regional trophies on there and say damn we were better than average that year. As far as implying Oklahoma is a hell hole in tornado alley. It seems lots of those California girls like Chamberlain and and Destinee Martinez have bought homes and live here now so it must not be that bad. I can tell you the quality of person is way better than where they come from. And when did Arizona come into the conversation? How long has it been since they were relevant? That's like Notre Dame football. Was really good years ago. All you Pac 12 fans should be thankful for Oklahoma. The SEC would be winning it every year without them. And believe me you don't want to be around that chest pumping. God knows your  conference hasn't done anything to stop it in several years.




Imagine being this mad... Oh my.

It’s a forum, folks.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #132 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester45
3LT is a keyboard warrior. I wish I had the money for the difference in what he actually knows and what he thinks he know's I'd be a millionaire.  But he's really a nice guy in person right? That is the  very definition of keyboard warrior. Arrogant and mouthy behind a computer but not so much face to face. 

Oregon fan base is really reminding more of Oklahoma St. the more we go along. Bringing up track and field championships on a softball board reminds me of the Poke talking about golf and wrestling during football season. The comparisons between White and Gasso are hilarious. If you want to cry and call it home cooking, luck or whatever BS you can pull out OU has a table full of national championship trophies, and Oregon has a dusty table waiting for one. Oh I guess you can throw those regional and super regional trophies on there and say damn we were better than average that year. As far as implying Oklahoma is a hell hole in tornado alley. It seems lots of those California girls like Chamberlain and and Destinee Martinez have bought homes and live here now so it must not be that bad. I can tell you the quality of person is way better than where they come from. And when did Arizona come into the conversation? How long has it been since they were relevant? That's like Notre Dame football. Was really good years ago. All you Pac 12 fans should be thankful for Oklahoma. The SEC would be winning it every year without them. And believe me you don't want to be around that chest pumping. God knows your  conference hasn't done anything to stop it in several years.


Chester, so your first post is to rip a guy who no doubt has forgotten more about Softball than most on this forum will ever know?? 3left is no doubt a homer for Oregon and, he defends it unashamedly with facts & reason. Sure he goes off the rails like we all do but this is an OPINION forum. But honestly, he's more right than wrong by any standard. 

I think you will find all the great posts/posters will go after each other with reasoned, competitive debate but, in the end everybody comes back around to being 'it's all good' so to speak. And then there are posters who seem to truly despise other posters...that's ok to, everybody here seems to have pissed on their respective streetcorner and set their own boundaries. 

3left, like myself and MANY MANY others currently have kids in school. Many others are just passionate fans who like to engage. I personally like your FIRST post but you didn't have to introduce yourself as "Chester the Poster Molester". 

And it would help to not be a hypocrite with your very first paragraph. 

That said, welcome aboard
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 726
Reply with quote  #133 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


Imagine being this mad... Oh my.

It’s a forum, folks.


That’s how you took it? Really? Just seemed like a commentary on another poster that can come off as being very mad some times.

IMO 3LT actually IS pretty darned sharp on his softball knowledge. BUTTTTTTT, he does seem to have a chip the size of a Volkswagon when it comes to OU. Still, he clearly has a high level of respect for them (her) as well. I’ve learned to give him a break since it’s very difficult to be completely objective when you have a kid nearing the end of her career involved. Couple that with a very successful coach that just can’t seem to completely seal the deal and 3LT is a lot easier to understand.

I appreciate his humor (usually 😉) as well.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #134 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic
That’s how you took it? Really? Just seemed like a commentary on another poster that can come off as being very mad some times. IMO 3LT actually IS pretty darned sharp on his softball knowledge. BUTTTTTTT, he does seem to have a chip the size of a Volkswagon when it comes to OU. Still, he clearly has a high level of respect for them (her) as well. I’ve learned to give him a break since it’s very difficult to be completely objective when you have a kid nearing the end of her career involved. Couple that with a very successful coach that just can’t seem to completely seal the deal and 3LT is a lot easier to understand. I appreciate his humor (usually 😉) as well.


High & tight. 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #135 
All of this, from Chester to outofzone to ChinMusic to Hammer Time.... it is the precise impetus for me writing the paean to this board last week.

Awesome mix of the grain and the chaff!

3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #136 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester45
And when did Arizona come into the conversation? How long has it been since they were relevant? That's like Notre Dame football. Was really good years ago. All you Pac 12 fans should be thankful for Oklahoma. The SEC would be winning it every year without them. And believe me you don't want to be around that chest pumping. God knows your  conference hasn't done anything to stop it in several years.


First, this was my comment on Arizona

http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1303328079&postcount=121&forum=10114

Second, you are verrrry correct about Oklahoma staving off the SEC having won six in a row

HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,944
Reply with quote  #137 
<< And when did Arizona come into the conversation? How long has it been since they were relevant? >> (Chester45)

Let's see... 
Arizona last made it to the finals of the WCWS in 2010 - and finished second to UCLA that year.

But... in my opinion, a better answer to your question would be this:
Arizona is a very good team that deserves to be in the conversation nearly every year.
I guess we will see just how relevant they currently are this Saturday (when AZ and OK play).

I will be rooting for Oklahoma big time... 
but it would not be shocking if Arizona manages to beat Oklahoma.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,338
Reply with quote  #138 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Chester, so your first post is to rip a guy who no doubt has forgotten more about Softball than most on this forum will ever know??


Hey, I like Lefty as much as anyone and consider him a knowledgeable softball fan. But to say he has forgotten more about softball than most on this forum will ever know is quite frankly the understatement of the year – if you know what I mean.
Chester45

Registered:
Posts: 104
Reply with quote  #139 
So you must be a lefty minion? Forgot more than most people will know, Give me a break. Just because he comes on here and  shoots off his mouth on a message board doesn't mean he knows more than anyone else. 

I've been reading the board for a while and just got tired of listening to the same guy run his mouth. So is there a certain # of post I have to make before I'm allowed to challenge the great softball guru? I mean if he can implement himself on all other team threads I think he's fair game. 

Even if Arizona beats OU this next weekend it means very little. Going to have to do it when it counts. And anyone that doesn't think Arizona had been on a downtrend the last several years does not watch softball, or is such a big homer they are looking at it through PAC  colored glasses.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #140 
I will say this much... eventually Oklahoma's futzing around in February and March will get them visiting a team in Supers fully prepared to play softball and not wondering about a diddling coach's dismissal

I can't remember when the last time was that Oklahoma had a regular-season loss against such inferior personnel (on paper at least)
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #141 
Chester, you want to go after 3left?


RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,734
Reply with quote  #142 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
I will say this much... eventually Oklahoma's futzing around in February and March will get them visiting a team in Supers fully prepared to play softball and not wondering about a diddling coach's dismissal

I can't remember when the last time was that Oklahoma had a regular-season loss against such inferior personnel (on paper at least)


I think you can lose to just about anyone when you strand a dozen baserunners and commit three errors in a single inning.

__________________
"We Americans have good teeth and don't eat spotted dick." -- Columnist Kurt Schlichter
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,944
Reply with quote  #143 
<< I've been reading the board for a while and just got tired of listening to the same guy run his mouth.  So is there a certain # of post I have to make before I'm allowed to challenge the great softball guru? I mean if he can implement himself on all other team threads I think he's fair game. >> (Chester45)

Chester - It's nice to see another person join the conversation. Feel free to speak up any time - on any subject. 
3LT is just stating his own personal opinions (most of the time because he has his reasons to believe what he is stating... sometimes to add some humor - sometimes to stir the pot). There is nothing wrong with that, in my view.

Whenever you see something he writes that you think is baloney... call him on it. 
That's what this forum is all about.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<< Even if Arizona beats OU this next weekend it means very little. Going to have to do it when it counts. And anyone that doesn't think Arizona had been on a downtrend the last several years does not watch softball, or is such a big homer they are looking at it through PAC colored glasses. >> (Chester45)

If AZ beats OK this weekend it will mean they did a good job against a very good team - and it will be a big win for them. 
I don't believe anyone has made a case for AZ not being on a down trend the last several years. 
Yes, AZ will need to get back into the WCWS - and win one to be considered back among the very best programs. 
But... they are still a team that is relevant - and that does deserve to be in the conversation about teams that might make it into the 2018 WCWS.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,944
Reply with quote  #144 
<< I can't remember when the last time was that Oklahoma had a regular-season loss against such inferior personnel (on paper at least) >> (3LT)

They are just trying to get your hopes up.

; )
BlueSky

Registered:
Posts: 881
Reply with quote  #145 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
I think you can lose to just about anyone when you strand a dozen baserunners and commit three errors in a single inning.


Speaking of which, Arizona has an alarmingly high LOB so far this year. I'm a Wildcats fan, but I don't think they're gonna give the Sooners much of a game this Sunday. Hoping they can squeak wins vs. NC and Mizzou tomorrow [frown]

__________________
 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,034
Reply with quote  #146 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
<< I can't remember when the last time was that Oklahoma had a regular-season loss against such inferior personnel (on paper at least) >> (3LT)

They are just trying to get your hopes up.

; )
some years you get auburn, some years you get bama
leip822

Registered:
Posts: 466
Reply with quote  #147 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
some years you get auburn, some years you get bama

*some years you get Hailey Mcleney

__________________
sl
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,585
Reply with quote  #148 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky


Speaking of which, Arizona has an alarmingly high LOB so far this year. I'm a Wildcats fan, but I don't think they're gonna give the Sooners much of a game this Sunday. Hoping they can squeak wins vs. NC and Mizzou tomorrow [frown]


Good Lord, BlueSky...me too!!!! I'll be at Arizona's 2 games tomorrow and surely not feeling their lackluster scoring so far this season!!!
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,756
Reply with quote  #149 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
Good Lord, BlueSky...me too!!!! I'll be at Arizona's 2 games tomorrow and surely not feeling their lackluster scoring so far this season!!!


Are we seriously acting like we are concerned about a NC team that was just shut out by South Carolina and a Mizzou team that has been far from impressive?
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,756
Reply with quote  #150 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leip822
*some years you get Hailey Mcleney


*some years an 0-13 batter ends your season with one swing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.