Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 3 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,458
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU


How so?
Game tracker had Best as SP.

Has been amended. I will remove post
OUsoftball

Registered:
Posts: 970
Reply with quote  #62 
This team is just too inconsistent. Pitching has been mediocre at best, and the hitting is lacking. Not what I expected coming into the season. Maybe that's a good thing. Now that the pressure is off and brought back down to Earth, they can play without heat. This team has a lot of work to do if they even want to get out of the 1st weekend. I don't see them making it back to OKC.

Erin Miller has been missed BADLY.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,178
Reply with quote  #63 
Yep. Just not there this season -- at least not at this point. They left 15 on base in yesterday's game against LMU. Didn't have anything approaching that luxury today. 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,458
Reply with quote  #64 
Oklahoma in deep doo-doo again with Cal Poly popping a seventh-inning insurance run ... 3-1
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 762
Reply with quote  #65 
There are reasons that seasons like Oklahoma 2016 are often referred to as "Cinderella" events:
1. They don't happen in the real world very often.
2. When they do happen, it is because every single thing falls into place in their favor.
3. They always involve an element of magic.


Funny thing about the Cinderella story is that after she married the prince, there is not sequel.  You never hear a lot about her again.

We are beginning to see this year if Oklahoma is really that good or if last season was the fairy tale. So far, the cosmic tumblers are not falling into place.  If they are really that good it will be manifested the rest of this season, next season....

RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,178
Reply with quote  #66 
Talk of "Cinderella" and "magic" improperly diminishes last year's champions. It's like saying OU was lucky to win -- beyond whatever measure of luck every team has in winning it all. I don't buy it.
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 762
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
Talk of "Cinderella" and "magic" improperly diminishes last year's champions. It's like saying OU was lucky to win -- beyond whatever measure of luck every team has in winning it all. I don't buy it.


I think it diminishes nothing.  You don't get there unless you deserve it.  They did.

However, you don't always get everything you deserve.  They did have some unusual luck in the finals. Just because you deserved it last year does not mean that you will automatically deserve it this year. 

The Cinderella element has everything to do with the youth of that group.  Things have to fall together right for a team that young to get where they went.  No rational person would have expected it to happen at the beginning of last season. Still, it did and there was a "magical" quality too it.

What nobody really had was a rational expectation that the same thing would happen this year. A fan might hope and believe, but a realistic old observer would not.
There is a thing called sophomore slump.  There are injuries.  There are other teams which get better than they were last season too. 

Could they get to the finals again this year?  It could happen.  Should it be expected?  I don't think so.  It takes a real seasoned powerhouse plus some luck to repeat.  That is why it is so rare since the early days of domination by UCLA and Arizona.

Personally, I believe that without some help in the seeding process, it will be a real accomplishment for them to get back to OKC this year.  I hope they do, but I certainly do not expect it. Also, if they don't it does not mean that they cannot do so next year.


OUsoftball

Registered:
Posts: 970
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg
There are reasons that seasons like Oklahoma 2016 are often referred to as "Cinderella" events:
1. They don't happen in the real world very often.
2. When they do happen, it is because every single thing falls into place in their favor.
3. They always involve an element of magic.


Funny thing about the Cinderella story is that after she married the prince, there is not sequel.  You never hear a lot about her again.

We are beginning to see this year if Oklahoma is really that good or if last season was the fairy tale. So far, the cosmic tumblers are not falling into place.  If they are really that good it will be manifested the rest of this season, next season....



Gawd damn, you're a freaking moron if you think the Oklahoma Sooners national championship last season was a fluke. They were clearly the best team at the end of Season, and were the best team for the last couple of months. There was nothing "Cinderellaish" about it. Won 31 of 32 games, and the only reason why the lost their 'lone' game was b/c they were resting their best pitcher, or else they finish with a 31 game wins streak to end the season. OU dominated their competition all throughout Regional/SuperRegional/WCWS play. Went 10-1 during their postseason run. Went 5-1 against the supposed invincible SEC(Tennessee, Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn). So you can take your asinine assumptions and shove it, b/c there was nothing fluky about it.

Shove off.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,458
Reply with quote  #69 
Clearly? Didn't they have four wins in OKC that were in extras or by a single run in regulation?

They won, and deserved it. But there was no display of team dominance, just of pitcher dominance
OUsoftball

Registered:
Posts: 970
Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Clearly? Didn't they have four wins in OKC that were in extras or by a single run in regulation?

They won, and deserved it. But there was no display of team dominance, just of pitcher dominance


So the best team at the end of the year wasn't the best team. I honestly don't get that logic. 

"If you can dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullcrap."
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,458
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUsoftball


So the best team at the end of the year wasn't the best team. I honestly don't get that logic. 

"If you can dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullcrap."
They had the best player, at the most important position. And, let's be honest, that home-cooking advantage.
OUsoftball

Registered:
Posts: 970
Reply with quote  #72 
Realistically OU should've won 3/5 NC's. So there was definitely no fluky crap going on here. They continuously rebuild and reload.
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 762
Reply with quote  #73 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUsoftball


Gawd damn, you're a freaking moron if you think the Oklahoma Sooners national championship last season was a fluke. They were clearly the best team at the end of Season, and were the best team for the last couple of months. There was nothing "Cinderellaish" about it. Won 31 of 32 games, and the only reason why the lost their 'lone' game was b/c they were resting their best pitcher, or else they finish with a 31 game wins streak to end the season. OU dominated their competition all throughout Regional/SuperRegional/WCWS play. Went 10-1 during their postseason run. Went 5-1 against the supposed invincible SEC(Tennessee, Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn). So you can take your asinine assumptions and shove it, b/c there was nothing fluky about it.

Shove off.


See post above.  Post #67,   It takes a real fan (fanatic) to not see the "magic" in the Sooners 2016 season.

Did not say or mean fluke.

However, if they were as powerful as you seem to think, they would certainly not have lost a pair to Cal Poly this week.





OUsoftball

Registered:
Posts: 970
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg


See post above.  Post #67,   It takes a real fan (fanatic) to not see the "magic" in the Sooners 2016 season.

Did not say or mean fluke.

However, if they were as powerful as you seem to think, they would certainly not have lost a pair to Cal Poly this week.







Believe whatever you want to believe in. I'm sure they have flying unicorns and fire breathing dragons in your fantasy land as well.
G8terfan23

Registered:
Posts: 2,301
Reply with quote  #75 
Oklahoma just isn't the same team realistically as they were last year. I personally wouldn't call ou winning the nation title a fluke. They took advantage of what teams gave them and ran with it. That's what separates the good teams from the great teams. I think we are seeing the youth of this team and seeing teams adjust to Paige Parker and the ou bats. Plus can you image the pressure some players must feel knowing that people " expect" a repeat. Look what happened to Florida last year. I'm not saying ou doesn't have the tools to get back to OKC and possible win back to back. It's possible
LandLottery

Registered:
Posts: 69
Reply with quote  #76 

Actually, the title run last year was:
Regionals:
7 Wichita State 2
9 Ole Miss 1 (5)
3 Ole Miss 0

Super-Regionals:
8 Louisiana-Lafayette 2
7 Louisiana-Lafayette 6

CWS:
3 Alabama 0 (8)
7 Michigan 5
7 LSU 3
3 Auburn 2
7 Auburn 11 (8)
2 Auburn 1

The unique thing about the Alabama win was that it was a duplicate of an earlier win against Alabama, 2-0 in Fullerton.  Both games were won by a walkoff home run by Knighten against Osorio.

There was something else unique.  I think that last year was the first time that OU has won the title, baseball or softball, when there was a loss during the playoff run, i.e., the loss to Auburn.  All prior runs have been winning streaks.

That is basically what it takes to win a national title.  There isn't that much difference in most of these teams.  Whichever team is hot is usually the one that will win.  Same in baseball.  I've seen the best team swept in the World Series more than once.  At the end of the year, OU did have the ability to take advantage of mistakes.  An Auburn mistake resulted in the two runs that won the title game.  But, wasn't Florida the team that was supposed to win last year?  Didn't they have everyone back from a two-year championship run?

At the end of the year, whichever team is hot will win.  OU desperately needs for Knighten to heal.  She drove in 14 runs during the playoffs last year.  You won't blank everyone.  You need to be able to manufacture a run. 
As I remember, OU had a tendency last year to strand runners, except that this tendency didn't last through the playoffs.

Fpitch9

Registered:
Posts: 4,214
Reply with quote  #77 
In this day and age, it's hard to repeat. In any college sport. You win one and you're every opponents number one target the next season. Nova in men's basketball found that out today. Last team to do it in that sport was Florida. Same for softball. But it wasn't easy. Winning when you are supposed to and everyone expects it, is probably the most difficult thing to do. Players and coaches are human. Emotions and pressure are real. And they certainly impact performance. I'm sure OU will be fine come May. But every season is different.

And just for the record, no, Florida didn't have everyone back from their back to back titles. Most notably, Haeger. Though they did have many others back.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,785
Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpitch9
In this day and age, it's hard to repeat. In any college sport. You win one and you're every opponents number one target the next season.


Tell that to Rhonda Faehn and KJ Kindler.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,210
Reply with quote  #79 
Someone mentioned chemistry a couple days ago regarding Oklahoma, and I believe it is true.  I was there watching them front row vs Az the other day, and also at their loss to Notre Dame at MNC.  I think it is safe to say that Oklahoma has no team chemistry compared to the unmistakable team focus they had last year.  They appear to be a bunch of individual softball players who happen to be on the same team this year...definitely missing some key, intangible element.
Fpitch9

Registered:
Posts: 4,214
Reply with quote  #80 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


Tell that to Rhonda Faehn and KJ Kindler.


Doesn't mean it wasn't difficult for Florida, they actually tied when they won their 2nd in a row. KJ hasn't yet won back to back.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,178
Reply with quote  #81 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
Someone mentioned chemistry a couple days ago regarding Oklahoma, and I believe it is true.  I was there watching them front row vs Az the other day, and also at their loss to Notre Dame at MNC.  I think it is safe to say that Oklahoma has no team chemistry compared to the unmistakable team focus they had last year.  They appear to be a bunch of individual softball players who happen to be on the same team this year...definitely missing some key, intangible element.


What are you taking about? How do you know what is true about this team's chemistry from observing during a couple of games? The level of chatter? Number of high fives? What?

Oklahoma was one strike away from knocking off Arizona. The Cats got one ball out of the infield to score their two runs. Your Nos. 2-3-4-5 hitters were a combined 1-for-12 on the game.

Congratulations on the victory, but let's not get into faux psycho analysis from one very close, competitive softball game.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,458
Reply with quote  #82 
Oklahoma's RPI after their seventh and final regular-season loss (April 3 RPI) was 12
It is 16 currently.

The went on to win 21 straight to end the regular season. Their RPI after that run, went up by nine to 3.

So, it stands to reason that Oklahoma could still host supers
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,178
Reply with quote  #83 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Oklahoma's RPI after their seventh and final regular-season loss (April 3 RPI) was 12
It is 16 currently.

The went on to win 21 straight to end the regular season. Their RPI after that run, went up by nine to 3.

So, it stands to reason that Oklahoma could still host supers


I would think if OU runs the table again this season -- a taller order than last season -- being in line to host a SR would be merited.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,178
Reply with quote  #84 
Sooners sweep DH from Iowa State, 8-1 and 20-0 (5).

Game 2 starter was freshman Mariah Lopez, who may have moved ahead of Paige Lowary as OU's #2 behind Paige Parker. Reason is Lowary's control comes and goes, whereas Lopez is always around the strike zone.

Freshman Alissa Dalton caught for the first time in the nightcap. Neither of OU's regular catchers are hitting above .175. Poster on another board says Wodach, the starter previously at catcher, has a broken finger and can't bat currently. Explains why they're looking for options behind the plate.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,210
Reply with quote  #85 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
What are you taking about? How do you know what is true about this team's chemistry from observing during a couple of games? The level of chatter? Number of high fives? What? Oklahoma was one strike away from knocking off Arizona. The Cats got one ball out of the infield to score their two runs. Your Nos. 2-3-4-5 hitters were a combined 1-for-12 on the game. Congratulations on the victory, but let's not get into faux psycho analysis from one very close, competitive softball game.


Rah, I was at MNC last year too and the college world series so I saw them up close more than a couple times.

For me, their vibe is completely different this year...sorry!
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 491
Reply with quote  #86 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough


Rah, I was at MNC last year too and the college world series so I saw them up close more than a couple times.

For me, their vibe is completely different this year...sorry!


Have to agree.
LandLottery

Registered:
Posts: 69
Reply with quote  #87 
I don't know that team chemistry is the right term.  OU only lost two players, the corner outfielders.  Supposedly, we had replacements.  But, our two key hitters that were so proficient in the playoffs last year, Shay Knighten and Sydney Romero had undergone knee and wrist surgery.  Shay, our leader in home runs, has almost no power, and is hitting a lot of pop ups, whereas she was a ground ball hitter last year.  Romero, who only struck out four times last year, struck out six early this year.  Our replacements were struggling. When one began to emerge, she was suddenly struck down.

A bit of a turnaround began about two weeks ago.  Romero began to hit with authority.  Shay is at least hitting the ball hard, although not for home runs.  A freshman emerged that is now leading the team in hitting, as well as power over the past ten games.  Caleigh Clifton, solid last year, is developing strongly this year as a sophomore.  The pieces are beginning to fit back together. 

Was this chemistry, injury, or just some time needed for some people to emerge?  It seems to be on the verge of becoming what it was in the last twenty games of last year, except there is much better pitching depth.  Forgotten is that OU lost some games badly early in the season last year.  That really never happened this year.  Losing by one  five times and by two twice to some decent teams on neutral ground isn't exactly something for shame.  Given some of the adversity, I'm rather surprised that the games were close.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,178
Reply with quote  #88 
Pretty spot on.
SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 248
Reply with quote  #89 
Yes, good analysis. Those injuries/surgeries to Knighten and Romero really affected our offense in non-conference, and against some tough pitching. Let's hope 'stella is getting her groove back'. [smile]
__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,210
Reply with quote  #90 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLottery
I don't know that team chemistry is the right term.  OU only lost two players, the corner outfielders.  Supposedly, we had replacements.  But, our two key hitters that were so proficient in the playoffs last year, Shay Knighten and Sydney Romero had undergone knee and wrist surgery.  Shay, our leader in home runs, has almost no power, and is hitting a lot of pop ups, whereas she was a ground ball hitter last year.  Romero, who only struck out four times last year, struck out six early this year.  Our replacements were struggling. When one began to emerge, she was suddenly struck down.

A bit of a turnaround began about two weeks ago.  Romero began to hit with authority.  Shay is at least hitting the ball hard, although not for home runs.  A freshman emerged that is now leading the team in hitting, as well as power over the past ten games.  Caleigh Clifton, solid last year, is developing strongly this year as a sophomore.  The pieces are beginning to fit back together. 

Was this chemistry, injury, or just some time needed for some people to emerge?  It seems to be on the verge of becoming what it was in the last twenty games of last year, except there is much better pitching depth.  Forgotten is that OU lost some games badly early in the season last year.  That really never happened this year.  Losing by one  five times and by two twice to some decent teams on neutral ground isn't exactly something for shame.  Given some of the adversity, I'm rather surprised that the games were close.



Gasso is a definite winner and her team will be very well prepared by the end of the season.  I've always been a Gasso fan simply because she came from the socal juco ranks, specifically LBCC (LB was my home for years).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: