Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 3 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #61 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
Mike - what is your thought on legalized pot?

As two of the more conservatives here, I am curious.  Do you think it should be a states rights issue?  In my older age I am leaning towards legalization.  You can find reports it's no worse than alcohol and would bring increased revenue.


Against it.

Tax revenue should never be a reason to allow something.  Gambling brings in tons of tax revenue, and I've campaigned against that too.

Saw an article yesterday on pregnant mom use of pot skyrocketing in legal states.

There is no way it gets legalized, then all of a sudden, only the same or less people use.

And - what happens 15 years from now.  Pot is legal, and an argument is to made that heroin isn't really that bad for you, and think of the tax revenue.

Currently - it is against federal law.  If states can have "legal" pot, why can't my state adopt no fed income taxes.

keepinitreal

Registered:
Posts: 27,177
Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomesoftball



I have a mortgage, and a fancy tuition to pay not going to risk getting busted by some law enforcement agency to purchase pot from some hippie or a kid on the street. 

For some possession is a slap on the hand for others their lives are ruined. That is why I support legalization. I would like to be able to walk into an establishment and make a purchase without worry. If I drive, cause a disturbance or offer children my pot. I should deal with consequences similar to a person who abuses their alcohol privileges. 

 



Yup

__________________
"Getting your motor revved about taking our guns is going to be what undoes your efforts."

"I like to establish the parameters of my own thoughts and don't think I need a director."

"This is not debate class. And this is not about politeness. We're talking about the damn future of our country"

"It is not just simply yelling out a name and yelling down dissenters........................... and I'll defend your right to even insult me" 
Emptynester

Registered:
Posts: 262
Reply with quote  #63 
So Mike, I assume alcohol and tobacco should be illegal also ?
Will_I_Wynn

Registered:
Posts: 1,959
Reply with quote  #64 
Society+debate+time ultimately determines the rules of our nation.  That said, not everyone will or should agree with all our rules.

Bourbon - legal
Marijuana - legal
Gay marriage - legal

I could be wrong but I doubt society+debate+time will lead to heroin becoming legal and individuals marrying their pets.  This slippery slope argument is a bit overused and I think we should give our society more credit than this.  Debate and time make for sufficient checks on our social changes.

__________________
A gullible nation is a vulnerable nation.  Challenge what you read on the internet.  Our nation's security is in our hands.  Don't be duped by misinformation.

The Right in here are quoting posts and changing words.  Please search for original post if accurate information is desired.  Also, claims I moderate this discussion forum are untrue.

Obama -  "When I say if you have your plan and you like it, and your doctor has a plan -- or you have a doctor and you like your doctor, that you don't have to change plans, what I'm saying is the government is not going to make you change plans under health reform."

Just because I refuse to criminalize abortion/adultery/offensive speech doesn't mean I favor it.


keepinitreal

Registered:
Posts: 27,177
Reply with quote  #65 
Stoopid dewy

http://www.marryyourpet.com

__________________
"Getting your motor revved about taking our guns is going to be what undoes your efforts."

"I like to establish the parameters of my own thoughts and don't think I need a director."

"This is not debate class. And this is not about politeness. We're talking about the damn future of our country"

"It is not just simply yelling out a name and yelling down dissenters........................... and I'll defend your right to even insult me" 
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #66 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester
So Mike, I assume alcohol and tobacco should be illegal also ?


What societal need is met by legalizing another intoxicant?

If your state wants to legalize it, then I don't want any of my federal tax money to be used to pay medical costs, addiction costs, EBT stamps for its use.

People will become dependent on pot and then government, they will get hurt, they will wreck their cars, screw up their in vitro babies, and on and on.

When that all happens, use you tax windfall.  My state should not have to pay for your states excesses and dependencies.

mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_I_Wynn
Society+debate+time ultimately determines the rules of our nation.  That said, not everyone will or should agree with all our rules.

Bourbon - legal
Marijuana - legal
Gay marriage - legal

I could be wrong but I doubt society+debate+time will lead to heroin becoming legal and individuals marrying their pets.  This slippery slope argument is a bit overused and I think we should give our society more credit than this.  Debate and time make for sufficient checks on our social changes.


BS.  Liberals want us to become Europe, in all shapes and forms.  Just another step on the path to debauchery.

Don't worry though.  Muslim immigrants would love for us to become a nation of stoners.  Makes that takeover that much easier.
Emptynester

Registered:
Posts: 262
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec


What societal need is met by legalizing another intoxicant?

If your state wants to legalize it, then I don't want any of my federal tax money to be used to pay medical costs, addiction costs, EBT stamps for its use.

People will become dependent on pot and then government, they will get hurt, they will wreck their cars, screw up their in vitro babies, and on and on.

When that all happens, use you tax windfall.  My state should not have to pay for your states excesses and dependencies.



You didn't answer the question, how shocking ?
There is absolutely no proof that legalizing marijuana causes addiction or any additional medical cost. certainly no more than alcohol or tobacco.

mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester


You didn't answer the question, how shocking ?
There is absolutely no proof that legalizing marijuana causes addiction or any additional medical cost. certainly no more than alcohol or tobacco.



I am not sure what part of my answer you missed.  You ask, I answer, then you say I didn't answer.

Start with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec

What societal need is met by legalizing another intoxicant?

If your state wants to legalize it, then I don't want any of my federal tax money to be used to pay medical costs, addiction costs, EBT stamps for its use.

People will become dependent on pot and then government, they will get hurt, they will wreck their cars, screw up their in vitro babies, and on and on.

When that all happens, use you tax windfall.  My state should not have to pay for your states excesses and dependencies.

Emptynester

Registered:
Posts: 262
Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester
So Mike, I assume alcohol and tobacco should be illegal also ?


What part of this did you miss ?
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 10,688
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec


those are the things you liberal libertarians have supported for a long time.  You support all 3.  along with your new buddy enptyheader, and your old buddy gracie.

Wrongo. 

Abortion, should be limited to the maximum amount that is political reality right now.  I leave the insisting on unelectable candidates and non stop whining to you.

gay marriage, don't care enough to put much thought into.  Let smart people like you and dewey beat each other and use lots of NRG on it.  Once all but a handful of states adopt it, it is over and done for.  You are free to charge the windmill all day every day.  Do me a favor, you knock it over, give me a call, I will come clap for you.

Marijuana will go the same as gay marriage.  Current trend is incrementalism in favor of legalization.  Those that are wanting legalized are willing to grind down into a day to day, state by state, vote by vote incremental battle and it is a winning strategy.  Other side, noisey is all they seem to have. 

__________________
Originally Posted by Fresh
"before the election a d Iowa sId hi.self that there was nothing to it"
WTF?
keepinitreal

Registered:
Posts: 27,177
Reply with quote  #72 
Dewy likes legalized pot because he likes taxes. If they taxed abortions until 9 months at a substantial increase in taxes, he'd support abortion to 9 months
__________________
"Getting your motor revved about taking our guns is going to be what undoes your efforts."

"I like to establish the parameters of my own thoughts and don't think I need a director."

"This is not debate class. And this is not about politeness. We're talking about the damn future of our country"

"It is not just simply yelling out a name and yelling down dissenters........................... and I'll defend your right to even insult me" 
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 6,301
Reply with quote  #73 
I think the "gateway "argument is total BS. While I am sure there are some people that smoked weed and then moved on those people probably would have moved to other drugs anyway as it is a personality trait that drives them, not the starting vice.


__________________
#SCOTUS

keepinitreal

Registered:
Posts: 27,177
Reply with quote  #74 
Mike does your dogged support of state's rights square with your opposition to denying state's the right to legalize marijuana if that's what they choose? I don't see how
__________________
"Getting your motor revved about taking our guns is going to be what undoes your efforts."

"I like to establish the parameters of my own thoughts and don't think I need a director."

"This is not debate class. And this is not about politeness. We're talking about the damn future of our country"

"It is not just simply yelling out a name and yelling down dissenters........................... and I'll defend your right to even insult me" 
keepinitreal

Registered:
Posts: 27,177
Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazsdad
I think the "gateway "argument is total BS. While I am sure there are some people that smoked weed and then moved on those people probably would have moved to other drugs anyway as it is a personality trait that drives them, not the starting vice.



Totally agree

__________________
"Getting your motor revved about taking our guns is going to be what undoes your efforts."

"I like to establish the parameters of my own thoughts and don't think I need a director."

"This is not debate class. And this is not about politeness. We're talking about the damn future of our country"

"It is not just simply yelling out a name and yelling down dissenters........................... and I'll defend your right to even insult me" 
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwApoligist

Wrongo. 

Abortion, should be limited to the maximum amount that is political reality right now.  I leave the insisting on unelectable candidates and non stop whining to you.

gay marriage, don't care enough to put much thought into.  Let smart people like you and dewey beat each other and use lots of NRG on it.  Once all but a handful of states adopt it, it is over and done for.  You are free to charge the windmill all day every day.  Do me a favor, you knock it over, give me a call, I will come clap for you.

Marijuana will go the same as gay marriage.  Current trend is incrementalism in favor of legalization.  Those that are wanting legalized are willing to grind down into a day to day, state by state, vote by vote incremental battle and it is a winning strategy.  Other side, noisey is all they seem to have. 


In other words, you support abortion, gay marriage, and pot legalization.
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 10,622
Reply with quote  #77 
Mike, yes he does...........American society is sliding into an immoral hippie mentality...........The slide is gaining speed...........

I'll stand beside you and fight it..........
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitreal
Mike does your dogged support of state's rights square with your opposition to denying state's the right to legalize marijuana if that's what they choose? I don't see how


As I said before, it is presently against Federal Law.

When it comes to sanctuary cities, some of you get up in arms over the blatant disregard for federal law.

When it comes to pot - meh pot. 

So, states get to choose which federal laws they enforce.

Now, if the federal law changes, and some other state legalizes it, then I don't want my money buying it for them through EBT, fixing their broken  arms, paying for addiction treatment, or paying for any other maladies related to it.

But, that will be like (wink, wink) prohibitions on federal money being use for abortions.

Why do I have to support or pay to clean up some other states' addictions?
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #79 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazsdad
I think the "gateway "argument is total BS. While I am sure there are some people that smoked weed and then moved on those people probably would have moved to other drugs anyway as it is a personality trait that drives them, not the starting vice.



Maybe, maybe not.  Through HS and college, I've known a whole bunch of people that graduated from pot to coke.  A few went on to other things, but most stopped at coke.

I guess coke should be legal as well.  What the heck, why not.

[185ed02a058407f38ec52204f274bd0f--psychedelic-drugs-psychedelic-posters] 
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 10,622
Reply with quote  #80 
There's a thousand reasons marijuana-users claim to want the stuff legalized............

But, there's only one true reason - they wanna get high...........The same reason why people drink alcohol...........


mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #81 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
Mike, yes he does...........American society is sliding into an immoral hippie mentality...........The slide is gaining speed...........

I'll stand beside you and fight it..........


It's the 60's all over again. 

On the bright side, maybe Disco music will come back next.  I sort of missed that one, and I have a feeling I could really get a groove on if the music was right.
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 10,688
Reply with quote  #82 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec


In other words, you support abortion, gay marriage, and pot legalization.

in other words nope. 

Abortion is the law of the land.  I support our process for making laws.  Don't have to agree with every law.  I think there are sensible approaches to go improve that situation, and frantic screeching.  I choose not to screech much.

Gay marriage - don't care.  Maybe try to argue with dewey. 

Pot legalization - mildly support.  Live in a state where it is legal, and have not seen massive problems.   Our opiod epidemic is extremely real, and it was driven directly by crazy prescription guidelines from odummers healthcare initiatives, not pot as a gateway.  We need to fucus a bit and work on real problems.  Jailing casual pot smokers does not warrant any time or nrg.  

__________________
Originally Posted by Fresh
"before the election a d Iowa sId hi.self that there was nothing to it"
WTF?
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #83 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
There's a thousand reasons marijuana-users claim to want the stuff legalized............

But, there's only one true reason - they wanna get high...........The same reason why people drink alcohol...........




In spite of their protests, I don't for a minute believe that there is no cost to society by it either.
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 10,688
Reply with quote  #84 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
There's a thousand reasons marijuana-users claim to want the stuff legalized............

But, there's only one true reason - they wanna get high...........The same reason why people drink alcohol...........



go get em blue.  Let me know if you topple that windmill.  

__________________
Originally Posted by Fresh
"before the election a d Iowa sId hi.self that there was nothing to it"
WTF?
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 10,688
Reply with quote  #85 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec


In spite of their protests, I don't for a minute believe that there is no cost to society by it either.

Yeah probably not.  Same with Alcohol. 

__________________
Originally Posted by Fresh
"before the election a d Iowa sId hi.self that there was nothing to it"
WTF?
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 10,622
Reply with quote  #86 
Mankind making immoral decisions - it's nothing new..............
mikec

Registered:
Posts: 8,969
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwApoligist



Pot legalization - mildly support.  Live in a state where it is legal, and have not seen massive problems.   Our opiod epidemic is extremely real, and it was driven directly by crazy prescription guidelines from odummers healthcare initiatives, not pot as a gateway.  We need to fucus a bit and work on real problems.  Jailing casual pot smokers does not warrant any time or nrg.  


so why not legalize the opiods?  Poor folks just wanna get numb.  Legalize it, and there won't be a whole bigger group of people abusing, but it will keep people from going to jail.

a kindler, gentler approach.
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 10,688
Reply with quote  #88 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec


so why not legalize the opiods?  Poor folks just wanna get numb.  Legalize it, and there won't be a whole bigger group of people abusing, but it will keep people from going to jail.

a kindler, gentler approach.

I advocating go the other direction.  Less time and nrg spent on pot.  Way more on reducing real opiod issues. 

Immediately should issue new prescription guidelines on opiods, something Trump just did.  Trump released 2 months ago super tough, probably too tough, prescription guidelines.

I think opiods must remain illegal.  Eventually after we clean up some of the mess that has been wrought we need to increase sentencing on opiod, certainly on the dealers.  There are not really that many people that deal opiods, most of this runs through prescription and prescription scams.

Unfortunately we, especially our medical providers, own a lot of this problem.  The reality is that doctors were allowing/encouraging our current opiod behaviors.  While not a bleeding heart, and very much advocate even these people are responsible for their decisions.  You have to admit having doctors over prescribe opiods exposed a lot of very susceptible persons to extremely addictive drugs and that was just wrong.   We are going to have to work through this massive wrong.

__________________
Originally Posted by Fresh
"before the election a d Iowa sId hi.self that there was nothing to it"
WTF?
uwApoligist

Registered:
Posts: 10,688
Reply with quote  #89 
By the way, if you care even one iota about the homeless problem, then you, by definition, care deeply about the opioid problem.  They are one and the same.
__________________
Originally Posted by Fresh
"before the election a d Iowa sId hi.self that there was nothing to it"
WTF?
Will_I_Wynn

Registered:
Posts: 1,959
Reply with quote  #90 
"Immediately should issue new prescription guidelines on opiods, something Trump just did.  Trump released 2 months ago super tough, probably too tough, prescription guidelines."

Can you link any article describing new guidelines?  Can't find any such action by President Trump.  I do know a panel submitted a report on the drug crisis but can't find any steps taken by this Administration. 


__________________
A gullible nation is a vulnerable nation.  Challenge what you read on the internet.  Our nation's security is in our hands.  Don't be duped by misinformation.

The Right in here are quoting posts and changing words.  Please search for original post if accurate information is desired.  Also, claims I moderate this discussion forum are untrue.

Obama -  "When I say if you have your plan and you like it, and your doctor has a plan -- or you have a doctor and you like your doctor, that you don't have to change plans, what I'm saying is the government is not going to make you change plans under health reform."

Just because I refuse to criminalize abortion/adultery/offensive speech doesn't mean I favor it.


Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.