Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
howzat

Registered:
Posts: 31
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Better yet, move to the Northeast & hang out with Bernie Sanders. He'd love to pick up your tab...at our collective expense.



Quote:
Originally Posted by spazsdad
Put me in the 14th century with Janie any day instead of the current land of snowflakes.



Aaaanndd here we are:  dare express a modicum of empathy or 21st century thinking with a small subset on this board, and all of a sudden you're personally attacked as among the "snowflakes," lumped in with the political demographic they despise.

Such a fun bunch.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #32 
Not one poster has hinted that there isn't mental illness.

Yes, too many kids today are self entitled, disrespecting, narcissistic snowflakes. Including athletes. 

Too many parents are spineless enablers who want to be best friends with their children when they should be parenting. 

And when Cheshire & Biff get to college, they meet a paid for a living coach with a high bar of expectation. And naturally, many of them fold like a chair under a little stern direction. And all of a sudden, we as a society have to deal with yet another manufactured, sports related stigma to explain the shortcomings of our tender 18-22 yr olds. 

I tell you where this crap is heading. These kids, who claim to develop their mental issues because their schedule is too full, will start dropping lawsuits on their respective universities claiming damages to their "inner self". Then rule changes kick in.  Right after the National Anthem, announcer has to read a Mental Health disclaimer, followed by a Legal Clause, then the lineups which now include 18 names because every starter will be required to have a State mandated Therapist as part of their scholarship. New NCAA rules now stipulate that, in the event of an emotional, game-altering event, after the 5th inning, to include but not limited to: Home Runs, more than 2 hits in a row, more than 2 runs in an inning, a lead change, an error broadcast on National TV, any player may call an Emotional Distress Timeout. Parents will be allowed in the dugout during all games also.

Let the games begin


1janiedough_

Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #33 
Welcome to the Bag O'Dicks gang!
howzat

Registered:
Posts: 31
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
Not one poster has hinted that there isn't mental illness.



Hard to tell with all the attacks from you and others, but janieD, aka Mr. Eugenics, was very clear that he rejects it.
Hobbes

Registered:
Posts: 109
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
Not one poster has hinted that there isn't mental illness.

Yes, too many kids today are self entitled, disrespecting, narcissistic snowflakes. Including athletes. 

Too many parents are spineless enablers who want to be best friends with their children when they should be parenting. 

And when Cheshire & Biff get to college, they meet a paid for a living coach with a high bar of expectation. And naturally, many of them fold like a chair under a little stern direction. And all of a sudden, we as a society have to deal with yet another manufactured, sports related stigma to explain the shortcomings of our tender 18-22 yr olds. 

I tell you where this crap is heading. These kids, who claim to develop their mental issues because their schedule is too full, will start dropping lawsuits on their respective universities claiming damages to their "inner self". Then rule changes kick in.  Right after the National Anthem, announcer has to read a Mental Health disclaimer, followed by a Legal Clause, then the lineups which now include 18 names because every starter will be required to have a State mandated Therapist as part of their scholarship. New NCAA rules now stipulate that, in the event of an emotional, game-altering event, after the 5th inning, to include but not limited to: Home Runs, more than 2 hits in a row, more than 2 runs in an inning, a lead change, an error broadcast on National TV, any player may call an Emotional Distress Timeout. Parents will be allowed in the dugout during all games also.



So then if I follow your logic, the sun will shortly thereafter go nova, and the Earth will be incinerated.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzat


Hard to tell with all the attacks from you and others, but janieD, aka Mr. Eugenics, was very clear that he rejects it.


Attacks? Maybe opinion forum. I may not agree with stuff you say but, I respect your positions. 

Mostly it's healthy debate. Some poster are just more passionate on some things than others. 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes


So then if I follow your logic, the sun will shortly thereafter go nova, and the Earth will be incinerated.


Possibly but, I don't see what Global Warming has to do with an Athletes Mental Illness.
CoachB25

Registered:
Posts: 234
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzat


Umm.  Yeah, sure.  Whatever.  And I'm sure references to Cool Hand Luke and Rascall Flatts resonate well with this generation.  Betcha they're rolling their eyes.

I'm sorry I can't see you utter your "heal thyself" mantra when one of your players goes down on the field.  Oh, wait, you mean you don't say that when you're dealing with physical injuries?  Just mental ones?  Because you, too, reject the notion that there's any possibility that mental illness is a real thing?

Yes, you, too, continue to contribute to the stigma associated with mental illness.

Wowza.


Reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits is it?  I predicated my statement by saying that there are times when one needs a mental health professional.  BTW, don't embarrass yourself by saying that I stated that I used Cool Hand Luke as a reference with these players.  I used it as an analogy, dumbsh--it.  Also, I live in Small Town USA.  Every player I coach knows Rascal Flatts and the song Stand.  The point again is that there is a fine line and so, one needs to know themselves.

__________________
Those mountains in front of you will seem like little hills when you are beyond them and they are in the past!
jtat32

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes


Yes, of course.  Absolutely.  Because:

1.  It doesn't matter how they got to where they are when they become hurt or ill; and

2.  Just as when someone develops a physical ailment, such as becoming ill or breaking a limb, you expect the staff and administration to take care of that person in distress.  No school's administration would deny they own that responsibility.

And BTW, I don't buy your premise that parents are at fault for mental illnesses that their kids develop.  In any event, causation isn't relevant to the need to treat it once it's present, and that administrations are responsible for the care of their students.


I never made any such premise.  Situational anxiety and situational depression are not mental illnesses.  This young woman implied a direct causal relationship between the rigors of being a student athlete and her emotional state, hence we are talking about situation, not illness.

Participating in college sports is neither a requirement, nor an entitlement.  It is not difficult for a prospective SA to research the time demands of any particular program.  It is the responsibility of that prospective SA and (in particular) his/her parents to make the determination if academic goals can still be met while meeting the demands of sports participation, not the responsibility of the institution.

That is my premise.

FWIW, I was always very clear with my DDs, as well as my travel players/families that the road to and through college is via academics, not softball.  
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,496
Reply with quote  #40 
Mental illness is a term that is WAY overused in general, and used as an excuse for poor behavior in many cases.  It is my STRONG belief that the mind is the single most powerful asset or weapon people possess.  It can create the most awesome of worlds, and it can create the most hellish of worlds...but make no mistake, people CREATE whichever world it is they focus on the most.  The power of attraction does not work the way most people think, but it works amazingly accurately, over and over and over and over.

I agree, in some cases mental illness is real, but in this day and age, they call everything under the sun mental illness and it's really a joke.  This kind of sh*t has created a whole layer of people who cannot function in society at all without a pill, a therapist, a babysitter or a doctor.

The huge reality is that if you do not know yourself deep in the gut, where the spirit resides, you will keep encountering scenarios that hammer the point home until you wake up and realize that it is the SELF who needs to heal itself...nobody else.  Many will never realize and they die never having known their true potential. 

People MUST get in tune with their spirit for it is the most vital part of us.[smile]
howzat

Registered:
Posts: 31
Reply with quote  #41 
Must be tough for all you guys to see the world changing around you, in ways you rail against, but are powerless to affect.

And JD. . .good luck with that spirit juju stuff.  Who knew that this board had so many qualified medical experts?  [crazy]
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzat
Must be tough for all you guys to see the world changing around you, in ways you rail against, but are powerless to affect.

And JD. . .good luck with that spirit juju stuff.  Who knew that this board had so many qualified medical experts?  [crazy]


howzat, you been on this board all of 3 days. You can see there is alot of cynisism, satire & sarcassm. However, buried under all that is much belief & real world experience. The large majority of the posters fall into couple categories: ex players, parents of ex players, parents of current & soon to be players. Not sure where you reside but, If I had to guess you belong to none of above, which is fine. 

And as far as medical experts, don't be too sure there aren't some on this board posting daily. 
rudymartinez

Registered:
Posts: 389
Reply with quote  #43 
Janie, I really enjoyed your last post. But when I came down off my buzz, I realized it was the exact same speech Dr. Phil gave to that woman who thought she was the illegitimate daughter of Queen Elizabeth and George Bush Sr. The crazy part was she claimed duel citizenship and demanded a pension from both countries. Then the Secret Service whisk Hillary off the stage.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,274
Reply with quote  #44 
Guns at 10 paces, indeed
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,496
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudymartinez
Janie, I really enjoyed your last post. But when I came down off my buzz, I realized it was the exact same speech Dr. Phil gave to that woman who thought she was the illegitimate daughter of Queen Elizabeth and George Bush Sr. The crazy part was she claimed duel citizenship and demanded a pension from both countries. Then the Secret Service whisk Hillary off the stage.



Rudy, you are a funny dude.[biggrin]
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,496
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzat
Must be tough for all you guys to see the world changing around you, in ways you rail against, but are powerless to affect.

And JD. . .good luck with that spirit juju stuff.  Who knew that this board had so many qualified medical experts?  [crazy]



I'd say you are the one railing against, sweetie.  As far as powerless?  Lmfao.  Each one of us contains a GREAT deal of power.  If you put as much energy into a timeless belief as you do into your disbelief, you might be surprised at how your world changes.[smile]


bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,725
Reply with quote  #47 
Coaches are helping to enable this "mental illness" lie by including sports psychologists in their programs...........

People don't change, they're the same as they have been forever.............People have had the same temptations since Adam and Eve.............How we handle those temptations is the difference in people..........

Janie is trying to tell us that grounding ourselves in what we choose to accept, or not accept, is what molds us...........It's about our belief-system and character............

Athletes have control over what happens to them.............Is your character gonna be to whine and complain about a situation you have control over and let someone else have the control over you ?............Then, throw up a smokescreen about mental illness?.........Or, will you have the character to try to change the situation, or, get away from it?

The talk of a player might need the scholarship to finish college is far too weak.............Far too many options for that to even be in the conversation...........

Get the sports psychologists out of the programs and the nonsense of fake "mental illness" will get a lot better.............No athlete should ever let any of these people have any control, whatsoever, over their mind............I highly suggest to stay away from these people..........



CoachB25

Registered:
Posts: 234
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzat
Must be tough for all you guys to see the world changing around you, in ways you rail against, but are powerless to affect.

And JD. . .good luck with that spirit juju stuff.  Who knew that this board had so many qualified medical experts?  [crazy]


It must be tough to be a snowflake and give yourself excuses for failure instead of reasons for success.  BTW, maybe this board is full of those people who know the difference between mental weakness and mental illness.  

__________________
Those mountains in front of you will seem like little hills when you are beyond them and they are in the past!
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,725
Reply with quote  #49 
Howzat, you sound just like the "world Government" folks...........You throw up the "world's changing" mantra............

The truth is, the more the world changes, the more it stays the same..............People haven't changed, not even a little bit............They just get more opportunities to make excuses for their lack of character and belief-system, that's all..............

If you let someone control your mind, shame on you...........
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,071
Reply with quote  #50 
I knew the day would come that the miscellaneous section would vomit all over the COLLEGE SOFTBALL section. Sometimes it's just better to put the lame horse down than try to rehabilitate it.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,485
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
I knew the day would come that the miscellaneous section would vomit all over the COLLEGE SOFTBALL section. Sometimes it's just better to put the lame horse down than try to rehabilitate it.


[thumb]
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,725
Reply with quote  #52 
Jayrot is living proof that people haven't changed over the years............The temptation to just make excuses is too much for them to overcome, because their belief-system won't allow them to overcome.........These people enable and encourage weakness.........

Now, he talks of rehabilitation, and he could use some..........Problem for him is, he's in denial, just like the girl in the video...........

This take-a-pill, blame others and fix-it weakness mentality is a dangerous plague for people and has pervaded our society.............That should be the take-away from the video.............Not the lie of mental illness in so many athletes.................
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,725
Reply with quote  #53 
The funny thing about this discussion on supposed mental illness in so many athletes is, when Jayrot writes, it's about softball..........But, when a few others write about it, it's about horses throwing-up..............[smile]
jtat32

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #54 
Applying the term "weakness" to this discussion is just as inappropriate as classifying this situation as mental illness.

Very, very few SAs have the wherewithal to simultaneously compete in a highly competitive athletic program at a highly academically competitive institution, in a highly competitive major.  These kids exist, but they are by far the exception, not the rule.  Everyone else is going to need to adjust expectations in one, or more, of these considerations, depending on what the SAs priorities and goals are.

It's the responsibility of the SA and their family to determine whether their fantasy about what the SA can achieve in their college career meets the reality of those demands.  If they misjudge, it is also their responsibility to reassess their priorities and make whatever adjustments are necessary.  

All of these factors are going to vary from SA to SA, so there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer.  


1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,496
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtat32
Applying the term "weakness" to this discussion is just as inappropriate as classifying this situation as mental illness.

Very, very few SAs have the wherewithal to simultaneously compete in a highly competitive athletic program at a highly academically competitive institution, in a highly competitive major.  These kids exist, but they are by far the exception, not the rule.  Everyone else is going to need to adjust expectations in one, or more, of these considerations, depending on what the SAs priorities and goals are.

It's the responsibility of the SA and their family to determine whether their fantasy about what the SA can achieve in their college career meets the reality of those demands.  If they misjudge, it is also their responsibility to reassess their priorities and make whatever adjustments are necessary.  

All of these factors are going to vary from SA to SA, so there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer.  





+1.  Everybody got their place in the world, and one can stay stagnant, move up, move down, or be a fencewalker forever.  It's all about choice and belief in self.

If you say you can't, then you can't..but if you say you can, well by God you SURELY can...and WILL.[smile]
young

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #56 
Hey, I'm new to the board, and all that implies, but my take from this string was that I saw a composed young woman speak of her situation, and then show us some data about why she believed there's a problem.  I was impressed by her willingness to stand in front of an audience and talk about her weaknesses.

After reading this string, I've read many personal, anonymous, opinions, but many just take shots at her, and not a few engage in the name-calling associated with today's charged political rhetoric.  I didn't come away feeling persuaded that her points were rebutted in any meaningful or substantive way, with facts.  Do you guys have any data, or other utube Tedx talks, where I can see support for your opinions?

If that's not what this board is about, thanks anyway for reading and I'm sorry to waste your time.
CoachB25

Registered:
Posts: 234
Reply with quote  #57 
Jayrot, my responses are about softball if I am of the ones you refer to as, "throwing up."  An athlete that strives to achieve success at the highest levels will constantly be challenged via mental toughness.  Sometimes it is self inflicted.  Sometimes, it is via other sources like a coach.  The good thing is, no one has to play softball.  Playing is a choice and so if it becomes too much, stop playing.  My daughter went through it like most others.  It was teammates at first and then, incredibly hard practices.  It was time management, grades, class, production on the field. It was boyfriend, parents, other friends.  

Look, many people have had it as bad as the video player. It took me 10 years working midnight shift and going to school during the day to get my degree.  There were times when I would stand on the assembly line and breakdown crying since I was so tired.  Then, I got that degree.  So many here have experienced the same sacrifice to achieve goals.  To do so, mental toughness is required. Again, there is a line dividing mental weakness and mental illness.  Only a person knows their true self and what is going on inside them.  If they need help, get it.  

__________________
Those mountains in front of you will seem like little hills when you are beyond them and they are in the past!
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 3,565
Reply with quote  #58 
Why do so many athletes and parents choose to change the program they chose rather than changing to fit the program?
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,071
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by young
Hey, I'm new to the board, and all that implies, but my take from this string was that I saw a composed young woman speak of her situation, and then show us some data about why she believed there's a problem.  I was impressed by her willingness to stand in front of an audience and talk about her weaknesses.

After reading this string, I've read many personal, anonymous, opinions, but many just take shots at her, and not a few engage in the name-calling associated with today's charged political rhetoric.  I didn't come away feeling persuaded that her points were rebutted in any meaningful or substantive way, with facts.  Do you guys have any data, or other utube Tedx talks, where I can see support for your opinions?

If that's not what this board is about, thanks anyway for reading and I'm sorry to waste your time.


No not directed at you specifically. Just the overall conversation and tone of the people taking sides. It still remains unfathomable to me that not everyone can grasp the concept that people are all different and don't all fall into one way of thinking/behaving (thankfully). Each person will act/react differently to situations and that is fine (for the religious people, there were 12 disciples and they were all different though moving in the same direction). Let each person take their road and realize we aren't all taking the same road (nor should we).

The only problem I really have with this whole conversation is the fact people seem to be demeaning a side of the argument where people are trying to make themselves better (whether it be by your means or theirs). If someone feels medicine and a therapist helps them live a better and more purposeful life, then who am I to degrade that. I've never been to one (maybe I should have, but who knows). And the one caveat being that yes I realize sometimes medicine and these professions are somewhat overreaching.

Now for some God-forsaken reason I've brought myself into this conversation. I gotta learn to stop somehow. Anyone started the softballaholics anonymous group yet?
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by young
Hey, I'm new to the board, and all that implies, but my take from this string was that I saw a composed young woman speak of her situation, and then show us some data about why she believed there's a problem.  I was impressed by her willingness to stand in front of an audience and talk about her weaknesses.
After reading this string, I've read many personal, anonymous, opinions, but many just take shots at her, and not a few engage in the name-calling associated with today's charged political rhetoric.  I didn't come away feeling persuaded that her points were rebutted in any meaningful or substantive way, with facts.  Do you guys have any data, or other utube Tedx talks, where I can see support for your opinions?
If that's not what this board is about, thanks anyway for reading and I'm sorry to waste your time.


I think all here are in agreement it took quite a bit for the young lady to give that talk. Composed?? enough for someone her age sure. 

As far as her data..arbitrary but she got her point across without guessing. Anybody here could interview 1000 D1 athletes and come up with her conclusions. She mentioned her Univ was paying for her meds & therapy...so let's see that number countrywide.

Also not sure any posters even attempted to rebutt her points. I mean, no poster here thinks she's lying. However, there is some consensus her Ted talk was more a D1 athlete explaining why she is depressed & has some mental illness while blaming her coaches, her program, the system, her teammates...but taking no personal responsibility for her actions, other than to say I can't quit because Volleyball is my life. In short, I am afflicted with this Athletes Mental Epidemic which is racing across the country at light speed and nobody is paying attention to me.

Sarcasm TRIGGER WARNING:!!
She will most likely come to regret her "coming out". Then again, she may end up on Rachael Maddow. A soft landing spot with a very small audience who cares. 


Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.