Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 13 of 20     «   Prev   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   Next   »
Fresh

Registered:
Posts: 7,316
Reply with quote  #361 
Why robot? I hear him mentioning the feel of the big toes. Keeping the knees inside the feet. There might be things you disagree with in his teaching, but this seems a little picky. Do you advocate getting your weight(hips) over the right foot or inside it? Do your players have any linear movement during the swing? 
__________________
The hard right is certainly passionate and emotional about their causes. But in the end, devoid of factual evidence, they are, as President Obama so wisely and succinctly put it, just saying stuff. 
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 11,763
Reply with quote  #362 
Freshy, your post doesn't surprise me - even to the point of being expected............[smile]
Fresh

Registered:
Posts: 7,316
Reply with quote  #363 
Ok, you've cleared it up for me. Thanks.
__________________
The hard right is certainly passionate and emotional about their causes. But in the end, devoid of factual evidence, they are, as President Obama so wisely and succinctly put it, just saying stuff. 
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 11,763
Reply with quote  #364 
Glad I could help, Freshy..........[wink]
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 930
Reply with quote  #365 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
This is an easy-to-find video per a request............ I call it building a robot............



[i-feel-it_o_1554861]
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,860
Reply with quote  #366 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
Most players I work with have a serious interest in SEC schools............And, LSU is often their first choice and some have played there....................I'd say that's why I talk about the hitting situation over there...........But, there are other SEC programs who seriously lack decent hitting instruction.........Auburn did until Myers got there.........And, Auburn leap-frogged upward right quick..........Unfortunately, Myers' situation turned ugly and he had-to-go...........We'll see how the new guy does...........

When teams under-achieve, it can be with either pitching or hitting..........For me, it's more frustrating when it's from a lack-of-hitting...........It's very frustrating when you continually get an outstanding pitching performance in-the-circle and leave umpteen runners on-base and lose those games............


Opinion of JT Gasso at Oklahoma?
BHS83

Registered:
Posts: 136
Reply with quote  #367 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU


Opinion of JT Gasso at Oklahoma?


I dont know if JT is responsible for the batting approach/stance/launch/swing, but it is that team that many of us point to for a consistency, across the whole lineup just about, in how the players elevate, how close they bring themselves to the strike zones through elevation, the launch.... all those .350 hitters, and every single one of them has game changing ability, low strike out count, etc. 

In contrast, you see all these other teams, and no two players bat alike. Bluedog mentioned Auburn, and you could see the consistency among the hitters and their approach.  

Offense isnt the only thing Gasso has going for her over there, but they produce, year after year, a solid lineup, and it looks like they take turns hitting walk off homeruns. Impressive. 
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 930
Reply with quote  #368 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchemall



I would say your lineup is spot on but would think G. Clark will definitely make her way into the lineup frequently. Stewart is going to be huge this year and will be a great nine hole hitter...her speed is off the charts as well as her defense.

It will be interesting to see who pitches against Tulsa this weekend, Tulsa Has pretty solid hitting and I would think is rated in the top 40 in division one. Bucknell should easiest of the games.


Not sure how they will get sunseri and Clark in the lineup at the same time unless Sunseri is in the circle. I agree with you though! They need to put the best hitters out there and try to make it work defensively.

I would anticipate Gorsuch or Sunseri opening night on Thursday vs Tulsa.
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 11,763
Reply with quote  #369 
Quote:
Opinion of JT Gasso at Oklahoma?


The Oklahoma hitters have enough freedom in the way they move their body to be able to have some adjustability in their swing...........It's why they compete for Championships...........So, Gasso is doing something right...........

BHS83 is absolutely right about the home-runs...........When multiple players can step-up to the plate and hit one out, you're on the right path - hitting-wise.........
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 11,763
Reply with quote  #370 
Quote:
 Bluedog mentioned Auburn, and you could see the consistency among the hitters and their approach. 


The consistency you see is "confidence"..........When players are given the freedom to individualize their swing, they own it...........

When hitters look confused and swing all kind of different ways, they're trying to get to pitches they can't get to because of the swing they've been taught and forced-to-use...........And, change-of-speed eats 'em up because these hitters have one-timing only............

Let's face it, college players have been playing softball for a lot of years..........They've excelled in high school and travel-ball............If they're looking confused at-the-plate after all this, something is wrong.............
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 11,763
Reply with quote  #371 
And, folks say hitters face better pitching in college...........But, it's all relative...........

Pitchers entering college are stepping-up as well...........

Both pitchers and hitters should be continually improving.........The instruction both of them get on their college team matters...........They need the confidence to know what they're doing is working.........

Some college teams sometimes have a good season because they happen to sign a really good pitcher............And, some teams are consistently in the hunt for a championship...........The saying is that they re-load.........But, the truth is, they teach more competently..........
BHS83

Registered:
Posts: 136
Reply with quote  #372 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog


The consistency you see is "confidence"..........When players are given the freedom to individualize their swing, they own it...........

When hitters look confused and swing all kind of different ways, they're trying to get to pitches they can't get to because of the swing they've been taught and forced-to-use...........And, change-of-speed eats 'em up because these hitters have one-timing only............

Let's face it, college players have been playing softball for a lot of years..........They've excelled in high school and travel-ball............If they're looking confused at-the-plate after all this, something is wrong.............


I agree, but i think there are visual consistencies that you see in the players approach.   What i think causes lack of "confidence" is when they get up to bat and they have to remember all these little tidbits about hitting that they are going to try to incorporate into the at-bat.  

And its true too that not everybody finds the same stance comfortable, and if you try to force a certain stance on someone it may negatively impact them, probably will. 
BHS83

Registered:
Posts: 136
Reply with quote  #373 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz


Not sure how they will get sunseri and Clark in the lineup at the same time unless Sunseri is in the circle. I agree with you though! They need to put the best hitters out there and try to make it work defensively.

I would anticipate Gorsuch or Sunseri opening night on Thursday vs Tulsa.


Definitely true about playing the best hitters, regardless of what class they are. OKlahoma sat some good players that started in their sophomore and junior year, when they became seniors and the incoming class had better players, Gasso went with her best players. Walton does the same. Same with Weekly. 
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 11,763
Reply with quote  #374 
Quote:
I agree, but i think there are visual consistencies that you see in the players approach.   What i think causes lack of "confidence" is when they get up to bat and they have to remember all these little tidbits about hitting that they are going to try to incorporate into the at-bat. 


All players have to rely on memory no matter what their default swing looks like...........When a pitch is coming that you know you probably can't get the bat on and it's gonna be a strike, you have a choice - swing-and-miss or take the strike...........And, you can't just take strikes all game long...........


Quote:
And its true too that not everybody finds the same stance comfortable, and if you try to force a certain stance on someone it may negatively impact them, probably will. 


Yes, absolutely the truth..........
BHS83

Registered:
Posts: 136
Reply with quote  #375 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog


All players have to rely on memory no matter what your default swing looks like...........When a pitch is coming that you know you probably can't get the bat on and it's gonna be a strike, you have a choice - swing-and-miss or take the strike...........And, you can't just take strikes all game long...........




Yes, absolutely the truth..........


I wonder sometimes if the players think they look better watching the strike go by than swinging and missing.   Remember Wagner from Michigan, the lefty? She was terror on the left handed hitters. They'd rock back on their heels and then find themselves reaching for the outside corner strike.   
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 866
Reply with quote  #376 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog


The consistency you see is "confidence"..........When players are given the freedom to individualize their swing, they own it...........

When hitters look confused and swing all kind of different ways, they're trying to get to pitches they can't get to because of the swing they've been taught and forced-to-use...........And, change-of-speed eats 'em up because these hitters have one-timing only............

Let's face it, college players have been playing softball for a lot of years..........They've excelled in high school and travel-ball............If they're looking confused at-the-plate after all this, something is wrong.............


+1 aaaand apply it to pitching as well. Anyone telling you that there’s only one way to get things done well is also telling you two more things.

1- they may see a lot of high level players, but their ego can’t take enough of a break to actually watch and learn (almost every high level pitcher or hitter I’ve seen has some idiosyncrasies that you wouldn’t teach to other people, but you’re clueless if you try to take them apart to “fix” them).

2- they only know one way to teach it.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,133
Reply with quote  #377 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog


The consistency you see is "confidence"..........When players are given the freedom to individualize their swing, they own it...........

When hitters look confused and swing all kind of different ways, they're trying to get to pitches they can't get to because of the swing they've been taught and forced-to-use...........And, change-of-speed eats 'em up because these hitters have one-timing only............

Let's face it, college players have been playing softball for a lot of years..........They've excelled in high school and travel-ball............If they're looking confused at-the-plate after all this, something is wrong.............



Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ


+1 aaaand apply it to pitching as well. Anyone telling you that there’s only one way to get things done well is also telling you two more things.

1- they may see a lot of high level players, but their ego can’t take enough of a break to actually watch and learn (almost every high level pitcher or hitter I’ve seen has some idiosyncrasies that you wouldn’t teach to other people, but you’re clueless if you try to take them apart to “fix” them).

2- they only know one way to teach it.



in bold, drives me up a wall.
BHS83

Registered:
Posts: 136
Reply with quote  #378 
I always switch hit when i played and you learn that what is comfortable left handed is not going to work right handed. Its best to try to work with what the players arrive with than to tell them to forget everything they know and then give them something totally different whether its comfortable or not.
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 11,763
Reply with quote  #379 
My #1 rule when I teach hitting is that results are everything..............My #2 rule is, the player must talk to me a lot..............I'm constantly looking for feed-back............And, frankly, I don't care to work with a player who won't give me that feed-back............

I tell 'em if I ask you to try something and you don't like it, then, tell me...........The first thing I do is to get the player to loosen-up from the smothering robotic body-movement they've been taught...........And, yes, there's more than one way to do it..........

I've been asked to make a video and there's no way I'd ever do that.............Every new player I work with is a clean-slate.......... I'm looking to get 'em to use their brain to figure-out some stuff for themselves..........Body-movement is unique to each one of us...........This is the reason I don't use any drills............I do most all of the pitching myself and we pitch and swing-the-bat.........We build brain-memory in-the-box, not from a drill or off a tee..............When it's time to re-call that memory, the player is in the same environment which they learned, with a ball coming at 'em in-the-box............That's how they learn and that's how they re-call what they learn.............Being in-the-box with a ball coming at 'em is the trigger for their re-call, not a drill or hitting tee..........

My sessions are never less than two or three hours.............I don't sit and we'll hit many buckets-of-balls............When I work with a player, I make no claim to them being "my hitter"............I don't own their swing, they do.............

IMO, far too many coaches smother players with drills and robotic body-movement...........They wanna see a swing in-a-cage that would be an automatic out and tell the hitter, good swing...........That hitter knows it would have been an out, but, the coach is happy, so.............

bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 11,763
Reply with quote  #380 
I've been around in the hitting world for quite a while and I've learned  that when it comes to hitting, there's three kind-of-coaches..........

Coaches who don't claim to know how to teach hitting and welcome players to work with individual instructors..............Coaches who incompetently teach hitting and insist on their way............And, coaches who competently teach hitting.............
Doesn't matter what level it is, this is a constant.............And, the competent teachers are still searching for a better way every day...........



I'm just glad to see this being talked about by folks...........It's been a taboo subject far too long..........




Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 157
Reply with quote  #381 
No two players are the same size, think alike or learn the same way. Every teacher has absolutes in their respective specialty. Thats ok. The best coaches use the individuals natural talent and find a way to teach and relate to the student to maximize their ability. The other thing great teachers do is learn, change and grow themselves. 
__________________
 
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 930
Reply with quote  #382 
[Dy2DtAiX4AAltYp] 

The field and new changes looked great last night, they did a good job with it. 
Also great start to open the year!
Touchemall

Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #383 
They keep hitting like they did last night and all the Dobson haters aren’t going to have anything to say. Hitting and defense were great last night.
BHS83

Registered:
Posts: 136
Reply with quote  #384 
Next week’s games will give us an idea of how good the hittinf really is but last night the pitch selection of LSU hitters was miles and miles better than last year.
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 930
Reply with quote  #385 
Have to hand it to Dobson and the girls, they look great so far at the plate and the adjustments with some of the swings.

I know its not the best competition but compared to last year its dramatically better so far. 
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 930
Reply with quote  #386 
The freshmen have been very impressive

Looking forward to seeing how these bats look in Florida.
Grindz

Registered:
Posts: 930
Reply with quote  #387 
Nice to see the girls bounce back after a rough first game earlier. 

Wickersham seems to be settling in more, she is fun to watch. I felt bad for Kilponen earlier, looked like not getting those calls early got to her. I'm sure she will be better next time. Its a learning experience early on. 

Curious if Torina gives her another look tomorrow vs Ohio State. She didn't pitch that much today, it be good for her to get that confidence back. 


BHS83

Registered:
Posts: 136
Reply with quote  #388 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindz
Nice to see the girls bounce back after a rough first game earlier. 

Wickersham seems to be settling in more, she is fun to watch. I felt bad for Kilponen earlier, looked like not getting those calls early got to her. I'm sure she will be better next time. Its a learning experience early on. 

Curious if Torina gives her another look tomorrow vs Ohio State. She didn't pitch that much today, it be good for her to get that confidence back. 




That umpire was HORRIBLE. Both ways, he was driving the pitchers nuts on both sides. The difference is LSU's hitters were swinging away, and Oregon took the walks. Kilponen is going to be a good pitcher. She has the velocity, for sure. Bright future for that kid and Shelby Wick. 
Touchemall

Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #389 
Really surprised MB is starting the Ohio State game, figured she would get Florida State for sure. Why pitch your most experienced pitcher against the weakest team? Would have thought Cummins would have caught the Ohio State game as well.
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 552
Reply with quote  #390 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchemall
Really surprised MB is starting the Ohio State game, figured she would get Florida State for sure. Why pitch your most experienced pitcher against the weakest team? Would have thought Cummins would have caught the Ohio State game as well.


Because marybeth isn't that good. Wickersham and Sunseri are definitely better.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.