Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 550
Reply with quote  #31 
Sprang at Tennessee, Holloway at ND, and my pick for freshman of the year Mia Davidson at Miss St.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,027
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp
Sprang at Tennessee, Holloway at ND, and my pick for freshman of the year Mia Davidson at Miss St.


Sprang & Holloway are two of my favorites also. 

There's the freshman SS @ Duke, Jameson Kavel. If she looks anywhere close to what she has shown this Fall, she will be one of the ACCs better MIF. Probably not FOY but pretty darn good. She'll get tested early as Duke gets Kentucky & SC early. Young didn't put together a cupcake schedule for her first year team. 
Mark46

Registered:
Posts: 712
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch
Sprang @ TN, Beubian @ MI, Holloway @ ND , Oh @ SC. 

ND may lean on Holloway quite a bit. She may shine more quickly than most in a weaker ACC. Buebian should get a fair amount of innings also as a solid #2. Sprang may be able to back up Moss &  don't be surprised if Kelsey Oh ends up the #1 at SC.

Anybody have any idea how these kids are doing in their Fall schedules? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Kelsey Oh at South Carolina was a little wilder than I expected the first weekend . Quite a few walks , wild pitches , and hit batters . When she is around the plate she is hard to hit though . Not sure if she was working on something new or what . She was much better the second weekend . In seven total innings (two different games) vs Charleston Southern she allowed no runs or hits and had quite a few strikeouts . I don't know if she will be the #1 starter on opening day or not , but she may be by mid-season .
SC freshman third baseman Jana Johns had an outstanding fall , both offensively and defensively . I'll be surprised if she doesn't at least make the SEC all-freshman team . Beverly Smith's other top 100 recruit for 2017 , Alyssa Kumiyama is rehabbing from ACL surgery and wasn't able to play this fall .   


Beaubien will be a solid #1 at Michigan. She was easily their best pitcher all fall.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,555
Reply with quote  #34 

Such a cool name... a Larry David Special....

(pretty....pretty....pretty) Pretty Good

outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,027
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark46

Beaubien will be a solid #1 at Michigan. She was easily their best pitcher all fall.


Completely overlooked Beaubien. While I personally thought she was little better than Holloway, if Michigan goes with her as their #1 I hope they are patient because they will take their lumps. But what an oppt for Beaubien if she can get alot of Freshman innings. 

There are quite a few very good Fresham pitchers this year, will be fun to see who stands out.
DisneyBob

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballjunkie223
love seeing freshmen pitchers make impacts, I hope to see oh in the circle a lot especially during sec play
Do you know if Alyssa kumiyama will be able to play this season or is she going to red shirt?
Mark46

Registered:
Posts: 712
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Completely overlooked Beaubien. While I personally thought she was little better than Holloway, if Michigan goes with her as their #1 I hope they are patient because they will take their lumps. But what an oppt for Beaubien if she can get alot of Freshman innings. 

There are quite a few very good Fresham pitchers this year, will be fun to see who stands out.


I'm not sure what  constitutes being "patient" but Beaubien will be a clear #1, Blanco a clear #2 and Schaefer a clear #3. In fall ball by my count Beaubien pitched 22 innings with 34Ks, 6 hits, 2 BBs and 0 earned runs. Granted the opponents weren't stellar with most of the innings coming against MSU, CMU, WMU and Grand Valley but the other two pitchers did OK but weren't close to those stats.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,027
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark46


I'm not sure what  constitutes being "patient" but Beaubien will be a clear #1, Blanco a clear #2 and Schaefer a clear #3. In fall ball by my count Beaubien pitched 22 innings with 34Ks, 6 hits, 2 BBs and 0 earned runs. Granted the opponents weren't stellar with most of the innings coming against MSU, CMU, WMU and Grand Valley but the other two pitchers did OK but weren't close to those stats.


Look, I'm a fan but, having her penciled in because she had a bunch of Ks against teams a notch above Travel Ball is pretty forward thinking. If Hutch is willing to let her get quality innings against the likes of Fla State, Fla, S Florida, Notre Dame, without getting a quick hook, she will mature quickly. Her biggest asset is she's a Lefty. I've seen her pitch alot and she's got both avg velocity & movement, which I'm sure will be much improved by February. LIKE ALL FRESHMAN, she will get exposed early & alot but, to reiterate, should benefit by getting a bunch of early season innings. 

Besides, MI Conference schedule will resemble their Fall schedule, save a few games. She will be just fine and very good. 
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,278
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Look, I'm a fan but, having her penciled in because she had a bunch of Ks against teams a notch above Travel Ball is pretty forward thinking. If Hutch is willing to let her get quality innings against the likes of Fla State, Fla, S Florida, Notre Dame, without getting a quick hook, she will mature quickly. Her biggest asset is she's a Lefty. I've seen her pitch alot and she's got both avg velocity & movement, which I'm sure will be much improved by February. LIKE ALL FRESHMAN, she will get exposed early & alot but, to reiterate, should benefit by getting a bunch of early season innings. 

Besides, MI Conference schedule will resemble their Fall schedule, save a few games. She will be just fine and very good. 


Listen she better be good if you guys have any chance at all because Blanco is just not a good D1 pitcher
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,027
Reply with quote  #40 
hey secfan91, any idea how Sprang/TN did this Fall? Think she can backup Moss?
Drop_Curve

Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #41 
Mathis at UGA will get a lot of innings this season. Adams at Florida seems to have a lot of potential.
__________________
Jacob Thomas Adkins
Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 173
Reply with quote  #42 
Yes can't wait to see Mathis pitch. Didn't Mathis verbally commit to Florida? From what I hear Mathis is like barnhill so uga and uf playing each other will be a real treat. Hopefully it'll be on tv.
Drop_Curve

Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballjunkie223
Yes can't wait to see Mathis pitch. Didn't Mathis verbally commit to Florida? From what I hear Mathis is like barnhill so uga and uf playing each other will be a real treat. Hopefully it'll be on tv.

I'd say Mathis is more like Wilkinson in the sense it's a ton of spin and true movement. She was originally verballed to UF but she came to her senses and picked the better school 😉 it should breathe a lot of life into the UGA program and with Gray there already is an established pitcher: If UGA coaches Mathis right and utilized their tools she should have a great freshman year.

__________________
Jacob Thomas Adkins
Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 173
Reply with quote  #44 
oh man I'm looking forward to that series even more now. Oh I hope it's on the sec network.
Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 173
Reply with quote  #45 
Was there a specific reason for the switch between school?
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,278
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
hey secfan91, any idea how Sprang/TN did this Fall? Think she can backup Moss?


Haven’t heard! Anybody from rocky top wanna weigh in?
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,278
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Curve

I'd say Mathis is more like Wilkinson in the sense it's a ton of spin and true movement. She was originally verballed to UF but she came to her senses and picked the better school 😉 it should breathe a lot of life into the UGA program and with Gray there already is an established pitcher: If UGA coaches Mathis right and utilized their tools she should have a great freshman year.


Mathis has some great movement for sure. Watched a video somewhere of her pitching in the State tourney and her ball was moving all over. I’m very interested to see her
Mark46

Registered:
Posts: 712
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Look, I'm a fan but, having her penciled in because she had a bunch of Ks against teams a notch above Travel Ball is pretty forward thinking. If Hutch is willing to let her get quality innings against the likes of Fla State, Fla, S Florida, Notre Dame, without getting a quick hook, she will mature quickly. Her biggest asset is she's a Lefty. I've seen her pitch alot and she's got both avg velocity & movement, which I'm sure will be much improved by February. LIKE ALL FRESHMAN, she will get exposed early & alot but, to reiterate, should benefit by getting a bunch of early season innings. 

Besides, MI Conference schedule will resemble their Fall schedule, save a few games. She will be just fine and very good. 


I'm not penciling her in solely because she got Ks against fairly weak teams, I'm penciling her in because she clearly did much better than the other pitching options vs the exact same competition. All situations are different and Beaubien is not walking into a situation with an Ocasio and Gourley already established--or with any established pitchers for that matter. She may be dominant from the get-go or she may take some lumps along the way, but she will be Michigan's #1 and she will pitch against the best teams on Michigan's schedule. You can pencil that in. 

My main point of contention with your post is "If Hutch is willing to let her get quality innings...". There's no decision to be made there, she'll be in the pole position.
dws3665

Registered:
Posts: 219
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ
Romanello will be a great stick for the Gators. As for the freshman at SC, are you really surprised that a freshman could be a little wild the first weekend in a new uni with high expectations being placed on her?! Mary Haff will help Arkansas continue to climb.


Haff was going to be my answer, too. Had a good fall.
Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 173
Reply with quote  #50 
Fell in love with Arkansas grit and determination last season. Will definitely be watching them from now on
Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 173
Reply with quote  #51 
We'll see if things change up in February but if Hannah Adams leads off like she did in fall ball, she is something special for Florida.
I wonder how much Jordan Mathews will play for Florida this season. Did not think she played at all this fall. Since Sophia and Hannah have probably pretty much locked down SS position.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,513
Reply with quote  #52 
Looking forward to seeing how Mariah Mazon at Oregon state does. Played with the Corona Angels and had a great career in HS. I think she gave her verball her freshman or sophomore year
Drop_Curve

Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91


Mathis has some great movement for sure. Watched a video somewhere of her pitching in the State tourney and her ball was moving all over. I’m very interested to see her

Could you link the video? Love to see true movement. Nothing better.

__________________
Jacob Thomas Adkins
Drop_Curve

Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballjunkie223
Was there a specific reason for the switch between school?
In her interview about it Mathis said UGA was her dream school since she was young and has family closer to the Athens area. I think she also realized she would have more of an ace role and wouldn't have to be behind a KB or AO at UF. UGA is a school where a pitcher could make an immediate impact.

__________________
Jacob Thomas Adkins
Softballjunkie223

Registered:
Posts: 173
Reply with quote  #55 
Come to think of it, I might have seen Lauren Mathis pitch in the little league World Series.
aojr03

Registered:
Posts: 270
Reply with quote  #56 
Lele and Mathis went to the same pitching coach.
Not2day

Registered:
Posts: 67
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
UCLA could be increasingly dangerous with Azvedo

I’ve yet to be impressed by what she brings to the circle. Not to say that Fernandez can’t help her, but I don’t anticipate her making an impact this year.
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 35
Reply with quote  #58 
Sprang has always been somewhat of an enigma in MN.  Great national reputation and travel accomplishments, but never reached her potential in HS.  I'd expect her to have a better college career. I'm not sure how much she'll be able to contribute as a freshman. 
DisneyBob

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34sDad
Sprang has always been somewhat of an enigma in MN.  Great national reputation and travel accomplishments, but never reached her potential in HS.  I'd expect her to have a better college career. I'm not sure how much she'll be able to contribute as a freshman. 
DisneyBob

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #60 
Sprang look really good at the All American Game!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.