Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 8 of 8     «   Prev   5   6   7   8
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #211 
Scout I understand what your saying to a point. But why shouldnt he say something.
He is an american and can tell the president to kiss his *** if he wants...
Whats the issue>?
Will it vilify him anymore than has been done?



__________________
I voted for Trump. 
oldscout

Registered:
Posts: 3,492
Reply with quote  #212 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklifter
Scout I understand what your saying to a point. But why shouldnt he say something.
He is an American and can tell the president to kiss his *** if he wants...
Whats the issue>?
Will it vilify him anymore than has been done?


Rock,I really don't know the answer.I just figure there is a time to back off& let the talkers do the talking.

There are those from both sides that don't want this incident to die.I believe the side that keeps it alive the longest will suffer in the public eye.


__________________
Terry Schneider
" Fear not tomorrow, God is already there ".
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #213 
Scout I see and understand your point. I dont think cooler heads will ever prevail in this current atmosphere.....cheery fellow aint i? I do agree that it seems that when something goes down its always someone elses fault.....

As someone who teaches on the college level I see and have dealt with many professors just like was described. My advantage is I lived in the "REAL" world before I finished my degrees and so had a better grasp on living outside the realm of academia.
Sitting high on a seat in some college allows some educated/unrealistic people to feel invincible and untouchable by those below them...

Give them a little cause from which to battle and they feel like Caesar......


__________________
I voted for Trump. 
gomrpi

Registered:
Posts: 892
Reply with quote  #214 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit
Why has no one point out the obvious with regard to the professor incident?

This professor seems to be the norm at our nation's universities these days.  Opinionated, brash and believing that they can do or say whatever they want without accountability.  It's no surprise to me that a professor has trouble with the law, most of them believe they are better than the blue collar worker.  There's no better representative of the blue collar worker than a policeman so a professor couldn't imagine a policeman telling them what to do.

Why the president is involved in this affair baffles me.  It's foolish for him to get involved he can only lose by making it look like he's playing the race card.



I rarely anymore agree with you Seabiscuit but you are spot on here...
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #215 
In this case, President Obama ignored the first rule of oratory, "Engage brain before opening mouth". Doing just that and projecting potential outcomes sure does prevent the necessity for "I'm sorry" and "damage control".
__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #216 
Greg - I was just pointing out that many perspectives exist, and when they are expressed, readers or listeners should take into consideration the source. Also, the speaker or writer should be humble enough to consider the possibility that he could be flat out wrong, or perhaps could be partially wrong.
__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
WanabeHorsey

Registered:
Posts: 3,737
Reply with quote  #217 
Seabiscuit said: "Why the president is involved in this affair baffles me.  It's foolish for him to get involved he can only lose by making it look like he's playing the race card."

In addition to the issue of race and the President weighing in on a local city/state matter, we have a Harvard Law grad, seemingly intelligent, beginning his statement by saying I wasn't there and don't know what happened, and then proceeding to offer an opinion anyway.  After being criticized, he makes a statement along the lines that his comments should have been crafted differently, but the arrogance that many of us feel is within the man  (and are criticized for the opinion), won't permit an apology.

His original commentst may well set race relations back as much as all of the positives about his being elected moved them forward.
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #218 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyGuy
Greg - I was just pointing out that many perspectives exist, and when they are expressed, readers or listeners should take into consideration the source. Also, the speaker or writer should be humble enough to consider the possibility that he could be flat out wrong, or perhaps could be partially wrong.


Frank, In most cases I would agree. In the case of the president he had no rooster in the fight so why comment? As you said he needs to think first and then no apologies later. However it had to be dragged out of him as is....even when he knew he screwed up? Why? Well you know my opinion.

In the case of the news media dont you think this should also apply. Instead they run around all happy happy joy joy about their new savior. Mine has never changed but with them its the new guy who was just elected.....

__________________
I voted for Trump. 
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #219 
Greg - I don't think that the media (I guess it's who or what you read) is giving him a free pass any more. I have seen several newscasts and editorials on both FOX and CNN that took his policies to task.
PS - As for that "rooster" in the fight, I fear that it's racial profiling. President Obama is a brilliant man; he should have known better. His statement was very poor politics.

__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #220 
Biscuit - That is NOT a contradictory statement. Look at yourself, a brilliant and intellectually gifted man with certainly a better than average ego..
PS - Your point is well made: the Athenians saw the cycles of men and societies as "Striving", Achieving", "Hubris - arrogant pride", and "Ate-destruction". Smart people those ancient Greeks.

__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
WanabeHorsey

Registered:
Posts: 3,737
Reply with quote  #221 
Ahhh, Seabiscuit, but you know better!
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #222 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyGuy
Greg - I don't think that the media (I guess it's who or what you read) is giving him a free pass any more. I have seen several newscasts and editorials on both FOX and CNN that took his policies to task.
PS - As for that "rooster" in the fight, I fear that it's racial profiling. President Obama is a brilliant man; he should have known better. His statement was very poor politics.


Frank, Not just poor politics but poor leadership. He is supposed to be the one to lead everyone out of the shadows of racial issues....and yet he engaged himself in the one thing he should have never done. He proved himself to be quite racial motivated himself....
I dont care what happened to him in the past. As president he has to make statements for all americans, not just the black ones...

__________________
I voted for Trump. 
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #223 
Greg - Amen !
__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #224 
Biscuit = I'm afraid that we are going round and round in a semantics chase. Your definition of "brilliant" and its application is just fine as long as both parties agree to it.
My definition is limited to nature given intelligence, not to be mistaken for scholarship, or vice versa, and certainly not for common sense or "street smarts".

__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
masare

Registered:
Posts: 2,642
Reply with quote  #225 

Quote:
Seabiscuit said:

The president, however, should always be in check of his ego and react with critical thinking and not with a gut reaction.  Mr. Obama often reacts quickly and without engaging his brain, just a gut reaction.  This is very disconcerting not because he might offend me, but because -- and I believe this will happen -- reacting with a gut reaction he is capable of letting information slip out that the general public should not know about.  Some day he will say something that will put people and possibly even our national seecurity at risk.  The president must be able to, first and foremost, check his comments and never say anything as a gut reaction.


In a perfect world this might be true but take a look around...we're not in paradise yet friend.  I think I get it now with all of you who list the faults of this president...because he is black you expect more from him.  However, what president hasn't put his foot in his mouth?  As long as I have listened to press conferences by presidents I have heard at least one comment that will be the winner for a week in the news.  I believe I called this one earlier in a post.  Is he vulnerable to human frailty?...yes.  The fact that he responded to a question about the incident is not surprising or even an issue.  He made a mistake when he said "stupidly".  The interesting thing is that so many people think this is a taboo subject.  I personally think it's refreshing to hear his passion for this issue.

rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #226 
(M)In a perfect world this might be true but take a look around...we're not in paradise yet friend. There will never be a utopia...Make your point. 
(M) I think I get it now with all of you who list the faults of this president...because he is black you expect more from him.  Actually yes we do. He is the supposed savior of all and when he blunders its a big deal. He is expected to speak for all Americans and not be some racially driven SCLC wanna be.
 (M) However, what president hasn't put his foot in his mouth?  As long as I have listened to press conferences by presidents I have heard at least one comment that will be the winner for a week in the news.  I believe I called this one earlier in a post. Last time I checked not one other president said something as racially divisive as this one has. He doesnt get a pass from me either. His ignorance has shown and he has to live with me and others who point it out. If I were the cop I would tell him his beer isnt what I want...
(M) Is he vulnerable to human frailty?...yes.  The fact that he responded to a question about the incident is not surprising or even an issue. Again your wrong. The fact he stuck his nose into something thats not his concern is a major issue. He wanted more face time and he got it....His frailty is to think because he is black he can do or say what he wants...
(M)He made a mistake when he said "stupidly".  The interesting thing is that so many people think this is a taboo subject.  I personally think it's refreshing to hear his passion for this issue. Define the difference between passion and down right stupidity. If he were smart....(Which he has shown hes not)...he would shy away from localized issues of this nature. The best way to further divide this nation is to continue to do what he did.....

On the subject of having a beer with the president. I still dont understand why in all countries...this cop couldnt tell him to shove his beer.....and not get fired....
But alas this is the country he runs with an iron fist...so to speak...

__________________
I voted for Trump. 
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #227 
Greg - "His frailty is to think that he believes that because he's black he can say anything". Please explain this to me, no kidding !! I can't believe that I'd ever read "Because Cheney is white, he believes that he can say anything".
__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #228 
Frank, anyone who believes that because of their race they are entitled is an issue. I personally believe Obama feels this way by his actions and words. Heck he has yet to apologize for virtually igniting this whole Gates issue higher than it would have if he had keep his mouth shut.
And Cheney was and is virtually inept so you cant use him....



__________________
I voted for Trump. 
masare

Registered:
Posts: 2,642
Reply with quote  #229 
rocklifter says,
Quote:
Again your wrong

This was just my opinion, my sense or perception---they can only be mine...not yours! This is the very reason I don't respond on these type of threads...you guys turn it into a pissing contest.  Shalom
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #230 
Biscuit - You have become the voice of reason. Wow !!
__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #231 
Quote:
Originally Posted by masare
rocklifter says,
Quote:
Again your wrong

This was just my opinion, my sense or perception---they can only be mine...not yours! This is the very reason I don't respond on these type of threads...you guys turn it into a pissing contest.  Shalom


Thats right.,...its my opinion that you are wrong. Whats so "WRONG" with that?
I believe alot of things are wrong. You can agree or disagree.....
BTW: I would rather pee in the toilet than contest who's goes further.


__________________
I voted for Trump. 
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #232 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyGuy
Biscuit - You have become the voice of reason. Wow !!


Frank,
   One mans reason is another mans folly.

__________________
I voted for Trump. 
JoiseyGuy

Registered:
Posts: 24,434
Reply with quote  #233 
Rocklifter - Ah yes, the understanding and application of frame of reference. Love it!!
__________________
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking. Where it is absent discussion is apt to become worse than useless." Leo Tolstoy

"Do not try to teach pigs to sing. It will frustrate you and infuriate the pigs who will unite in anger against you, and you will never achieve singing your song". Dr. Petersen
masare

Registered:
Posts: 2,642
Reply with quote  #234 
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/saturday-night-live-saturday-night-live-point-counterpoint-lee-marvin-and-michelle-triola/4120730573

This site will show how we discuss politics here on UCS!  Enjoy 
rocklifter

Registered:
Posts: 2,921
Reply with quote  #235 
Masare...
    You ignorant S***..



Thank you....
Thank you very much.....

Rock has left the building.....




__________________
I voted for Trump. 
WIUfan

Registered:
Posts: 219
Reply with quote  #236 

Oh the old SNL, really makes you long for the old days doesnt it.

WIUfan

Registered:
Posts: 219
Reply with quote  #237 

 

A  Zebra dies and arrives at the Pearly Gates.. As  he enters, he asks St. Peter, 'I have a question  that's haunted me all of my days on earth. Am I  white with black stripes, or am I black with  white  stripes?'
St.  Peter said, 'That's a question only God can  answer.'
So  the zebra went off in search of  God.
When  he found Him, the zebra asked, 'God, please - I  must know. Am I white with black stripes, or am  I black with white  stripes?'
God  simply replied 'You are what you  are.'
The  zebra returned to see St. Peter once more, who  asked him, 'Well, did God straighten out your  query for  you?'
The  zebra looked puzzled. 'No sir, God simply said  'You are what you  are.''
St.  Peter smiled and said to the zebra, 'Well then,  there you are. You are white with black  stripes.'
The  zebra asked St. Peter, 'How do you know that for  certain?'
'Because,'  said St. Peter, 'If you were black with white  stripes,  God would have said, 'You is what  you  is.'

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.