Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Wichita_Mustangs

Registered:
Posts: 166
Reply with quote  #1 
Where they come up with some of the stuff they say is just amazing....I think CK likes to hear herself talk
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,208
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichita_Mustangs
Where they come up with some of the stuff they say is just amazing....I think CK likes to hear herself talk


Not sure I agree with you about Cheri Kempf. She's probably forgotten more about softball than you or I will ever know.
upontop

Registered:
Posts: 298
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Not sure I agree with you about Cheri Kempf. She's probably forgotten more about softball than you or I will ever know.


Not sure about that scrybe.....Griggs knows his fair share.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,208
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upontop


Not sure about that scrybe.....Griggs knows his fair share.


Much more than I know, that's for sure.
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 1,152
Reply with quote  #5 
How much CK may know about ball is unfortunately obscured by her biases against anyone who hasn’t always agreed with her. Being an old lady who played right after CK and with many she played with, I don’t listen when she talks because she is incapable of being objective and is typically pushing some angle to make herself some $. The last time i listened to her commentate years ago, she insisted (during the illegal pitch debacle year that most of you don’t remember) that the rule book should absolutely be changed because it refers to the “pivot foot” and no pitcher should EVER turn her foot. AT. ALL. EVER. She is the grandmother of Torina’s box invention and the originator of some of the awkward (and often illegal) deliveries you see in college softball today. But hey, it fit in with the book she wrote about pitching and earned her a few more $$.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,761
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ
How much CK may know about ball is unfortunately obscured by her biases against anyone who hasn’t always agreed with her. Being an old lady who played right after CK and with many she played with, I don’t listen when she talks because she is incapable of being objective and is typically pushing some angle to make herself some $. The last time i listened to her commentate years ago, she insisted (during the illegal pitch debacle year that most of you don’t remember) that the rule book should absolutely be changed because it refers to the “pivot foot” and no pitcher should EVER turn her foot. AT. ALL. EVER. She is the grandmother of Torina’s box invention and the originator of some of the awkward (and often illegal) deliveries you see in college softball today. But hey, it fit in with the book she wrote about pitching and earned her a few more $$.


Was this the Brombacher debacle?
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 1,152
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


Was this the Brombacher debacle?


Same year as the Brombacher/Fowler debacle, but not during the WCWS. That was CK’s big fix for all the IP’s. But it was really just a plug for her method and book.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 18,432
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ


Same year as the Brombacher/Fowler debacle, but not during the WCWS. That was CK’s big fix for all the IP’s. But it was really just a plug for her method and book.


At Garman? Were there broadcasts there? Or was it at another game?
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 1,152
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


At Garman? Were there broadcasts there? Or was it at another game?

Her comment was broadcast on national TV but somewhere in the middle of the year (they made a big deal of the IP all year, but only called it sporadically (but in large clumps) until the WCWS. I remember her saying it because as a teacher (who did not teach that)when she said it, i spent the rest of the year and the next few studying every successful pitcher i could find on TV to see if her “pivot” foot turned or not.
Wichita_Mustangs

Registered:
Posts: 166
Reply with quote  #10 
She probably forgot a lot....but she is definitely a self serving piece of work.

But just so I dont forget. She said this tonight: "that is Shows target pitch" what the hell is a target pitch?

She also explained in the Tulsa game that when the pitcher fielded the ball and threw to 3rd base....she actually said; " did you see the pitcher move the ball over to her glove side" What other side would you want the ball on if you were fielding it.

Hope she keeps forgetting more...I cant wait to hear all she has forgotten
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 873
Reply with quote  #11 
They also went out of their way to stress that the collision between 1B and 2B had nothing to do with the ball dropping, that it was a single all the way - which was completely ridiculous. Yes, the collision happened after the ball hit the ground, but 1B was going to catch it until she saw 2B barrelling toward her so she pulled back at the last moment, allowing the ball to drop (and still getting her legs taken out).
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 12,380
Reply with quote  #12 
Any commentator crowing about no-no's in the body-movement of players, whether it be pitching or hitting, needs to stop doing it............Because it shows the commentators incompetence in understanding efficient athletic body-movement...........There really are zero no-no's when it comes to efficient body-movement to perform-a-task..........It's specific to the individual player...........

The absolute worst thing to tell-a-player is to say, "don't do this"............Tell 'em, and show 'em, what-to-do that'll get 'em a better result..........They may scrap a certain movement or keep it and add-in the movement you show 'em..........

I'd be rich if I had-a-dollar every time a player asked me if they should do a certain movement..........My answer is always, you-tell-me............Does it give you an efficient movement-sequence, or not?........And, what result did you get?

A player must own their results..........They better know how to duplicate as often as possible how they move the best to either pitch-or-hit............


I turn-off the sound when the commentators get frequent with their stupid comments..........Which is most of-the-game.........
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,251
Reply with quote  #13 
I wish they would come up with more talking points to use.  How many times can you say they sold 700 tickets in a minute? 
__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 12,380
Reply with quote  #14 
Surprising it took that long...........
Skinny

Registered:
Posts: 473
Reply with quote  #15 
Also all this stupid "river" talk that just started up the last couple of years on the broadcasts if anybody has noticed that. Throwing the ball into the river or something. Ive been in mens fastpitch for over 20 years and nobody has ever called it the river. I hate that. Dont say that anymore it sounds dumb. 
gtq

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #16 
My biggest problem with all softball announcing. They. Just. Won't. Shut-up.  It is almost as if they get paid by the word.  Half the time their gums are yapping so much they aren't even watching the game.  I grew up in an era when it was OK to have a few seconds of dead air during a ball game. The announcers watched the game, described the play and when the time was appropriate, added analysis.  Now, if you believe the announcers, every pitch is a referendum on the hitter or pitcher's mindset, skill level and determination. Each pitch that is not a strike is a gross miscalculation or failure to execute; each swing and miss is the failure to "barrel up".  I would like to barrel up some of these announcers.
TerpAlum

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #17 
Ok. So Kempf has a book. IIRC, it is really basic. Even I could understand it. So not sure it is the downfall of all pitchers with awkward or illegal motions.

In fact, if you roll over your toe instead of going to the side, you will have less of a chance of IPs. Don't know about the pitching box(?), but Kempf has a point with being up on the toe and relaxed to roll over straight.  And many have requested that the term 'pivot' be taken off that description and modernized. That is how I remember what she said then (again, a long time ago). (I am not telling pitchers to have a straight foot, I don't care!)

But I guess because she is trying to earn a living with softball or she is in charge of NPF (yes a failure) and talked about it, she is evil. 

Her commentating is some of the best out there. Period. Talking about some of the basics in interesting situations, like a pitcher throwing to third is fine.


bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 12,380
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
 I would like to barrel up some of these announcers.


[thumb]

They need to call-the-game and quit saying, "she's sixth in-the-nation in doubles"............


scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,208
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpAlum
Ok. So Kempf has a book. IIRC, it is really basic. Even I could understand it. So not sure it is the downfall of all pitchers with awkward or illegal motions.

In fact, if you roll over your toe instead of going to the side, you will have less of a chance of IPs. Don't know about the pitching box(?), but Kempf has a point with being up on the toe and relaxed to roll over straight.  And many have requested that the term 'pivot' be taken off that description and modernized. That is how I remember what she said then (again, a long time ago). (I am not telling pitchers to have a straight foot, I don't care!)

But I guess because she is trying to earn a living with softball or she is in charge of NPF (yes a failure) and talked about it, she is evil. 

Her commentating is some of the best out there. Period. Talking about some of the basics in interesting situations, like a pitcher throwing to third is fine.




LOL

I've decided that, from this point forward, no matter how much I like a particular commentator, I'll keep those thoughts to myself.
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 1,152
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


LOL

I've decided that, from this point forward, no matter how much I like a particular commentator, I'll keep those thoughts to myself.


I wouldn’t go that far. She is knowledgeable and without the personal and in depth knowledge of her personality, fans wouldn’t notice that she doesn’t control her biases and sneaks in small things to consistently push her own agenda. I still remember the players and staff from the PFX tour being appalled by the way she “benignly” pushed the NPF as “the only professional opportunity available for softball players” during the NCAA postseason the first year she became the league commissioner while the PFX tour was actually doing a better job of paying its players at the time (she was in process of trying to recruit half of the PFX players) . She is knowledgeable, though and i used to be able to enjoy listening to her knowledge until she brought in that agenda in most every broadcast. But it’s usually subtle.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 17,594
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny
Also all this stupid "river" talk that just started up the last couple of years on the broadcasts if anybody has noticed that. Throwing the ball into the river or something. Ive been in mens fastpitch for over 20 years and nobody has ever called it the river. I hate that. Dont say that anymore it sounds dumb. 
It actually makes a lot of sense to me. There is the box, and the plate.... and a 4?-inch river/alley/boulevard....whatever between them
gtq

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny
Also all this stupid "river" talk that just started up the last couple of years on the broadcasts if anybody has noticed that. Throwing the ball into the river or something. Ive been in mens fastpitch for over 20 years and nobody has ever called it the river. I hate that. Dont say that anymore it sounds dumb. 


This!  Do a drinking game where every time they say "river" or "barrel up" you take a drink. You would be blistered by the second inning with most of these broadcasts.
TerpAlum

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #23 

About all this condemnation if Kempf mentions NPF -- Would you expect MLB or even the PGA/LPGA commissioner to never mention their sports bodies while on air? Well, for one thing, these commissioners make enough money to stay with their day jobs and not have to commentate the events. They make cameo appearances, and..... talk about their sports orgs while often doing a little play coverage.

And there is no insight into her "personality," or some listens from years ago, or any subtlety I'm missing that makes what she says today part of "her selfish agenda." It's just not there.

PS, I hate the words barrel up. Never used it myself, nor anyone around that I had heard previously.

AleDawg

Registered:
Posts: 630
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
It actually makes a lot of sense to me. There is the box, and the plate.... and a 4?-inch river/alley/boulevard....whatever between them


That's "inside".

There is pitching over the plate, pitching over the black and pitching inside.

"The river" conflates the latter 2.
BStandby

Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #25 
My biggest problem with all softball announcing. They. Just. Won't. Shut-up. 


Nothing could be more true.

__________________
Bob...
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 17,594
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleDawg


That's "inside".

There is pitching over the plate, pitching over the black and pitching inside.

"The river" conflates the latter 2.
black IS the plate

Though the one in Eugene definitely did not have that black rubber border
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 17,594
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleDawg


That's "inside".

There is pitching over the plate, pitching over the black and pitching inside.

"The river" conflates the latter 2.


If you get hit by an inside pitch IN the box, it is an HBP

If you get hit by a pitch over the river, it is a ball

There is a need for distinction
BigTenSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 178
Reply with quote  #28 
Well Michele Smith said during the SEC championship game that softball plates are all white and only baseball plates have "black," so this whole discussion is moot.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 17,594
Reply with quote  #29 
Well, his response to me may be, but in softball, a pitch in 'the river' can have a functional difference to any other manner of inside pitch
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.