Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 6 of 11     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next   »
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,193
Reply with quote  #151 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator


Wow....definitely in the running for the dumbest post in the history of UCS.



I realize there are a few specific jobs that one might get fired from, but the overwhelming majority of people with jobs do not risk losing them by smoking pot. In fact, the vast majority of employers don't even fire people for addictions to hard drugs without giving them help and assistance and support and other things first.

__________________

 

Mangler

Registered:
Posts: 203
Reply with quote  #152 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitter
Only if that's why you're a blind squirrel.[biggrin]

That was caused by something else
People warned him as a kid
BlindSquirrel

Registered:
Posts: 117
Reply with quote  #153 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitter
Only if that's why you're a blind squirrel.[biggrin]


Yeah, pot isn't the reason I have to shave my palms.
AustinSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 115
Reply with quote  #154 
Players are suspended and thrown off teams for any illegal activity including petty theft, vandalism, DWI, and substance abuse. Of course some schools do not care and sweep problems under the rug (e.g., Kansas Mens BB!), but enforcement happens more often now because in the end the coach cannot rely on such a players.  Also, since the NCAA tests for drugs, I assume that none of these players could return without testing and they would likely fail those urine tests.  Thus, a suspension from another enforcement body.  

And, if you think substance abuse is OK, you are ignoring the effect of drugs and alcohol on athletic performance.  If they did it, they let their teams down and did not care that their play would be affected.  Show me a team that parties with this stuff and I will show you a team that dramatically underperforms.  Most coaches have a dry policy request during season and do enforce those rules.  I know of players who have refused to comply and who are no longer on their teams or who have had scholarships cut next year.  This coaching staff is talented but they march to a different drummer.  Our team (not ranked in the top 100) beat them a few years ago because the coaches and players were arrogant and unprepared.  

Auburn, its time to enforce some rules.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 318
Reply with quote  #155 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



I realize there are a few specific jobs that one might get fired from, but the overwhelming majority of people with jobs do not risk losing them by smoking pot. In fact, the vast majority of employers don't even fire people for addictions to hard drugs without giving them help and assistance and support and other things first.


I am not an expert in Human Resources, but every job I have had that performed random drug testing if an employee tested positive for illegal drugs during a random screening they were immediately terminated.  If someone went to Human Resources BEFORE being randomly screened and asked for addiction assistance it was provided.
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,193
Reply with quote  #156 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSoftball
Players are suspended and thrown off teams for any illegal activity including petty theft, vandalism, DWI, and substance abuse. Of course some schools do not care and sweep problems under the rug (e.g., Kansas Mens BB!), but enforcement happens more often now because in the end the coach cannot rely on such a players.  Also, since the NCAA tests for drugs, I assume that none of these players could return without testing and they would likely fail those urine tests.  Thus, a suspension from another enforcement body.  

And, if you think substance abuse is OK, you are ignoring the effect of drugs and alcohol on athletic performance.  If they did it, they let their teams down and did not care that their play would be affected.  Show me a team that parties with this stuff and I will show you a team that dramatically underperforms.  Most coaches have a dry policy request during season and do enforce those rules.  I know of players who have refused to comply and who are no longer on their teams or who have had scholarships cut next year.  This coaching staff is talented but they march to a different drummer.  Our team (not ranked in the top 100) beat them a few years ago because the coaches and players were arrogant and unprepared.  

Auburn, its time to enforce some rules.



Your post presents your opinion as though it is fact at several points. First, there is no provision in NCAA rules that requires these players to pass an NCAA drug test before they can return. None. That decision is 100% up to the school. They will play next weekend, mark it down.

Second, a survey of recently retired NFL players found that 52% of them used marijuana (including during the season). These are among the most highly skilled, talented, and conditioned athletes in the world who succeeded as individual players and many played for teams that won big. So your notion that "coaches know such players can't be counted on" and "you'll show us a team that underperforms" are just that ... notions.

I am not glorifying it or praising it, just saying I get sick of the sanctimony. There is no information regarding this matter to warrant using the term "substance abuse" anymore than that term should be used for someone who has an alcoholic beverage. Yeah I know it is illegal, and they were arrested and released and will be suspended for a weekend of games. End of story.

__________________

 

Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,193
Reply with quote  #157 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


I am not an expert in Human Resources, but every job I have had that performed random drug testing if an employee tested positive for illegal drugs during a random screening they were immediately terminated.  If someone went to Human Resources BEFORE being randomly screened and asked for addiction assistance it was provided.



You can google the statistics. Only a small percentage of employers conduct random drug testing of current employees. Of those who do, the majority do not terminate for the first positive test. Some do, most don't. 

__________________

 

Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 318
Reply with quote  #158 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



You can google the statistics. Only a small percentage of employers conduct random drug testing of current employees. Of those who do, the majority do not terminate for the first positive test. Some do, most don't. 


Wouldn't it fill you with confidence knowing that the auto mechanic that worked on your cars brakes last week could have been shooting up heroin at lunch with nothing more than a slap on the wrist consequence?
BlindSquirrel

Registered:
Posts: 117
Reply with quote  #159 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSoftball


And, if you think substance abuse is OK, you are ignoring the effect of drugs and alcohol on athletic performance.  If they did it, they let their teams down and did not care that their play would be affected.  Show me a team that parties with this stuff and I will show you a team that dramatically underperforms. .


You're surely familiar with LeGarrette Blount. Busted for pot when he was with the Steelers. Guess who picked him up? Yep, those underachieving New England Patriots. A team that is well known for underperformance. Something tells me he isn't the only Patriot player smoking and it's obvious that the Patriots (including the coach) have a different view of pot than you do. Perhaps you should educate them so they stop paying/playing underperformers.

I can point to a million examples of extremely high performing athletes who smoke pot. How many gold medals did Michael Phelps win? Some consider him the greatest Olympian in history. Imagine what he would have accomplished if he had never smoked pot or drank. What were the deleterious affects of pot and alcohol on Mr. Phelps' performance? Unwanted weight gain?

Dock Ellis dropping acid on a day he pitched is one thing. Bill Lee putting pot in his cereal isn't on that level. Pot is a drug. So is aspirin. So is heroin. All drugs and their affects are not equal.

Unfortunately I'm in the process of moving so I won't be able to provide any more pot-induced nonsense until tomorrow.


CajunAmos

Registered:
Posts: 991
Reply with quote  #160 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF


 People don't get fired from their job for smoking pot. Why do you people make stuff up?



Yes, they do regularly. It just depend on your workplace. Some areas also require a drug screen prior to being hired itn the first place.
BlueSky

Registered:
Posts: 571
Reply with quote  #161 
Image result for bad news bears
__________________
 
AustinSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 115
Reply with quote  #162 

You are correct that in the regular season, Auburn's own policies determine whether to test.  One basis is random testing.  Another basis under Auburn's rules is reasonable suspicion on use of prohibited drugs.

"Student-athletes may also be tested if there exists a “reasonable suspicion” that the individual is using banned drugs or alcohol. The determination of reasonable suspicion shall be made by a Coach, the Athletics Director, the team physician, an athletics trainer, an academic counselor, the sport administrator or the Director of Sports Medicine (“Athletics Department Personnel”). Such individuals have the responsibility to make a determination if there is reasonable suspicion the student- 4 athlete is using banned drugs or alcohol, and they shall document any observation concerning the appearance, behavior, physical changes, attitude changes, or absences from class, meetings or practices. There may be a variety of observations which lead to a determination of reasonable suspicion, including information gathered from other sources. Observations leading to a determination of reasonable suspicion include, but are not limited to: * Mood swings * Loss of interest in school, sports and practice * increased number of tardiness’s and absences from practice and class * increased aggressiveness * Severe facial and body acne * Weight loss or weight gain * Erratic behavior * Disorientation and confusion * impaired short-term memory * Any other actions, behavior or observations the Athletics Department personnel believe create a reasonable suspicion of drug use. The determination of reasonable suspicion, when reasonably possible, should be made by two members of the Athletics Department. Thereafter, the student-athlete shall be requested to promptly submit a urine/blood/hair sample for testing."

In college playoffs, the testing decision goes to the NCAA and schools have no say in that process or frequency of testing.
Lvtwft

Registered:
Posts: 96
Reply with quote  #163 
For all those people that say marijuana does not give you an advantage, how about somebody that has any sort and anxiety problems. Most professional athletes I have spoken with n stoners that have taken the drug tell me it makes you mellowed or takes the edge off and let's you focus better. Playing with anxiety and being on edge, has the tendency to take away from your Peak Performance. Not every athlete has to deal with that anxiety, being on edge when on a field. They have to figure out how to get over so they can be at Peak potential.
Now tell me how taking that aspect away from someone is not enhancing their game over others?
Say what you will, but it helps some people perform at their optimal potential.
Now is that not performance-enhancing?
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 4,135
Reply with quote  #164 

__________________
"She Packed My Bags Last Night, Pre-Flight, Zero Hour Nine A.M."
DTitanFan

Registered:
Posts: 25
Reply with quote  #165 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvtwft

Now tell me how taking that aspect away from someone is not enhancing their game over others?
Say what you will, but it helps some people perform at their optimal potential.
Now is that not performance-enhancing?


Good point! Fagan doesn't strike me as someone with anxiety but lots of kids do have it these days, it seems.

My issue is - it's against the rules - to keep it simple.

It's such a selfish thing to do (on 4/20). The real loser is the kids on the team who are working hard to get to a Natty. I just don't see it happening with selfish acts such as this.
BlindSquirrel

Registered:
Posts: 117
Reply with quote  #166 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvtwft
For all those people that say marijuana does not give you an advantage, how about somebody that has any sort and anxiety problems. Most professional athletes I have spoken with n stoners that have taken the drug tell me it makes you mellowed or takes the edge off and let's you focus better. Playing with anxiety and being on edge, has the tendency to take away from your Peak Performance. Not every athlete has to deal with that anxiety, being on edge when on a field. They have to figure out how to get over so they can be at Peak potential. Now tell me how taking that aspect away from someone is not enhancing their game over others? Say what you will, but it helps some people perform at their optimal potential. Now is that not performance-enhancing?


It makes perfect sense except it ignores the reality of pot smoking. Guess what? Any player who smokes pot immediately before competing will find that the affects are gone within 5 minutes of being in that kind of situation. You see, the high goes away fast when one does a variety of things such as eating, exercising, taking a shower, yada yada yada. Adrenaline destroys the affects of pot smoking. The affects from taking greenies before a baseball game, like players did back in the day, last for hours. The affects of alcohol obviously last. But I've played basketball over a hundred times after smoking pot and the affects simply go away very quickly. And BTW, the last thing people do on pot is focus. Performance enhancing in softball? I guess so if you assume the high lasts and it's desirable when a player swings at a pitch 5 seconds late. Too funny.

God I love some of these comments. They reinforce what I've learned about human thought over the last 40+ years: People routinely have strong opinions without 1 nanosecond of consideration of their level of ignorance. At the same time people routinely disregard the opinion of others they consider ignorant. Apparently convenience trumps rigor.

Bob Marley Squirrel
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 489
Reply with quote  #167 
Debate aside, any new information regarding the suspensions??  Thought they would have been lifted by now. 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,030
Reply with quote  #168 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSquirrel


It makes perfect sense except it ignores the reality of pot smoking. Guess what? Any player who smokes pot immediately before competing will find that the affects are gone within 5 minutes of being in that kind of situation.

Man, you smoked different stuff, or a lot less, than I used to.

Back in the '80s, I would carry a cocoon of mellowness and a dash of paranoia for an hour or two solid afterward
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 802
Reply with quote  #169 
I was curious about that also. I fully expect them back like nothing happened. I doubt there will be much fanfare about them returning. Most likely they will make a quiet announcement to the all involved and they will magically appear at their respective spots on the field next game. 


BlindSquirrel

Registered:
Posts: 117
Reply with quote  #170 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

Man, you smoked different stuff, or a lot less, than I used to.

Back in the '80s, I would carry a cocoon of mellowness and a dash of paranoia for an hour or two solid afterward


I've never met anyone who stayed high for an hour while eating or playing sports. I smoked thai sticks back in the day and I currently use about the most potent pot you can get at a dispensary. I stopped smoking pot when my son was born after daily use for 15 years. 2 years ago I started up again on the advise of my 65 year old family doctor (also a surgeon). Pot gives me the best shot at addressing my situation where I've already gone from weighing in the 180s to being in the 150s and my weight continues to drop.

I absolutely do not mean to glorify pot smoking. I'm smoking now out of desperation. I want to be around to play with my grandson as he gets older.

John
smileyface

Registered:
Posts: 192
Reply with quote  #171 
The news release said suspended "indefinitely"
Wouldn't that mean they aren't coming back?
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 4,718
Reply with quote  #172 
I always took that to mean they didn't assign a specific period of time when handed out. 
in·def·i·nite·ly
ˌinˈdef(ə)nətlē/
adverb
 
  1. for an unlimited or unspecified period of time.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,030
Reply with quote  #173 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSquirrel


I've never met anyone who stayed high for an hour while eating or playing sports. I smoked thai sticks back in the day and I currently use about the most potent pot you can get at a dispensary. I stopped smoking pot when my son was born after daily use for 15 years. 2 years ago I started up again on the advise of my 65 year old family doctor (also a surgeon). Pot gives me the best shot at addressing my situation where I've already gone from weighing in the 180s to being in the 150s and my weight continues to drop.

I absolutely do not mean to glorify pot smoking. I'm smoking now out of desperation. I want to be around to play with my grandson as he gets older.

John
My fingers are crossed for you, my friend
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 802
Reply with quote  #174 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyface
The news release said suspended "indefinitely"
Wouldn't that mean they aren't coming back?


Translation:

....our starting SS, co #1 Pitcher, and backup Left Out will be back as soon as we feel the sh*t storm has blown over or, just prior to SEC Tournament, whichever comes first. Thank you, Auburn Coaching Staff..."
CowboyJOX

Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #175 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Translation:

.... or, just prior to the Alabama series ..."


Fixed that for you, though who knows if they're even needed to beat Alabama at this point.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 802
Reply with quote  #176 
forgot about that series.
TideKid

Registered:
Posts: 1,981
Reply with quote  #177 
it will be a good one!
__________________
***************
we LOVE free bases
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,460
Reply with quote  #178 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

Man, you smoked different stuff, or a lot less, than I used to.

Back in the '80s, I would carry a cocoon of mellowness and a dash of paranoia for an hour or two solid afterward


Shoot...more than a dash of paranoia for me...lmao!
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,460
Reply with quote  #179 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSquirrel


I've never met anyone who stayed high for an hour while eating or playing sports. I smoked thai sticks back in the day and I currently use about the most potent pot you can get at a dispensary. I stopped smoking pot when my son was born after daily use for 15 years. 2 years ago I started up again on the advise of my 65 year old family doctor (also a surgeon). Pot gives me the best shot at addressing my situation where I've already gone from weighing in the 180s to being in the 150s and my weight continues to drop.

I absolutely do not mean to glorify pot smoking. I'm smoking now out of desperation. I want to be around to play with my grandson as he gets older.

John



Does that mean cancer?  If so, my hope is for your physical to remain steady and your spiritual health to gain strength.  Best wishes to you. 
BlindSquirrel

Registered:
Posts: 117
Reply with quote  #180 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



Does that mean cancer?  If so, my hope is for your physical to remain steady and your spiritual health to gain strength.  Best wishes to you. 


Thank you so much for the kind words. Totally unexpected. I don't know what's wrong with me yet. I watched my Dad slowly die from cancer at the age of 35. I won't have my daughter experience that with me. I need to learn how to digest food properly. I'll be fine - I just need to keep working on it as hard as I can.

Thank you again for taking the time to post those sentiments. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
John Pappas
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.