Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 4 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #91 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan
Poor Tenn and Bama fan. They got their butt-hurt by Gasso and OU. 

She's a fine individual. I would gladly call her friend over the two of you. 

Ya'll are just trolling. 



First of all, I didn't trash Patty Gasso. I simply pointed out that her statement about Ole Miss and the RPI was false. I further pointed out that OU has no one but themselves to blame for not being a top 8 seed. Period.

I didn't personally attack Coach Gasso in any way. She is without any doubt one of the great coaches in the game. I'm not familiar with her personality and don't really care. I can't stand when tough, outstanding coaches who are women are for some reason expected to act like something other than a big time leader. It doesn't matter how it comes across to her opponents. It's not a coach's job to be liked by the fans of other teams. It's her job to beat their ass and she usually does.

__________________

 

Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #92 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan


And yet you posted. Doh!



If you think the rigged RPI is the reason OU is not a top 8 seed, I would have thought more of a fan of one of the 3 most dominant programs in the country in recent years.

And see my response to your post suggesting that I was mean to Gasso. Please read the actual content of my posts.

__________________

 

ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 542
Reply with quote  #93 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky
Gasso is a great coach. But in this case, she opened her mouth and commented to the press. Others did not.


Might be considered courage by some.....being in a position to influence productive change and voicing an opinion that the system is broken. Most everyone on this board has expressed frustration with system as well, but have no audience with decision makers. I would venture to say that many if not most coaches have similar complaints but lack the stones to publicly say so. Just my 2 cents.
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #94 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic
Might be considered courage by some.....being in a position to influence productive change and voicing an opinion that the system is broken. Most everyone on this board gas expressed frustration with system as well, but have no audience with decision makers. I would venture to say that many if not most coaches have similar complaints but lack the stones to publicly say so. Just my 2 cents.



I immediately said the moment I saw her on ESPN after the selections were announced that she was seething. I'm glad she spoke out. Coaches need to do it. I don't happen to think OU was treated unfairly in this particular bracket, but the system is broken and the more high profile coaches that speak out the better.

__________________

 

SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #95 
It is rigged in favor of the SEC and Pac 12. Like it or not. Many of us are confused not just about OU but about Minn and possibly more. 

I never said you were mean. What you think of me is not my concern. 




__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
SmileyAnders

Registered:
Posts: 818
Reply with quote  #96 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upontop
as well as the horrible over seeding of Ole Miss, no way possible that they are the 12th best team in the country.

To be fair Ole Miss is seeded close to where they're ranked in the polls. 
Gasso questions OM's jump in a weekend while her team couldn't do that in 6 weeks but it's fairly inarguable that OM had more quality wins just last weekend than OU had during all of conference play. If anything OU should be upset with Texas for not holding it's own(a common theme with UT athletics these days) and devaluing the conference. 
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #97 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan
It is rigged in favor of the SEC and Pac 12. Like it or not. Many of us are confused not just about OU but about Minn and possibly more. 

I never said you were mean. What you think of me is not my concern. 





I also didn't express anything about what I think of you. How would I know that?  You accused me of being butthurt by Gasso and said she was a fine individual (as though I said otherwise but I didn't) and said you would gladly have her as a friend over the 2 of you (my post had absolutely nothing to do with her character or yours). 

If you have a different opinion about my softball related post, feel free to disagree. But what I said was complimentary. Just don't pretend I said something about Gasso or you as people when I did no such thing.

__________________

 

ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 542
Reply with quote  #98 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF




This post is not worthy of response.



Maybe not the best anaology. But the point is that RPI system rewards teams MORE for who they play than who the beat. Isn't that just illogical on the surface?
SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #99 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



....., I would have thought more of a fan of one of the 3 most dominant programs in the country in recent years.


You can think more or less of me. I really don't care. lol

 

I never said BAMA_CF was mean to Gasso. I said "poor Tenn and Bama fan got butt-hurt..."


__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #100 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic
Maybe not the best anaology. But the point is that RPI system rewards teams MORE for who they play than who the beat. Isn't that just illogical on the surface?


I think that is the point, Chin. Average SEC Teams losing to good SEC teams in conference still get graded higher. Wins should be all that matters. (And I am not defending OU's losses to Arizona, Auburn, etc)

__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #101 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic
Maybe not the best anaology. But the point is that RPI system rewards teams MORE for who they play than who the beat. Isn't that just illogical on the surface?



Not totally illogical but certainly not perfect. It is not intended to be anything but one tool, one data point. Most committees do a far better job utilizing RPI as one tool and professionally seeding teams. I keep up with about a half dozen NCAA sports very closely. It can be done.

But unfortunately, the softball committee is so incompetent that when they try to stray greatly from it, they make it worse instead of better. We agree about that.

__________________

 

SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #102 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



Not totally illogical but certainly not perfect. It is not intended to be anything but one tool, one data point. Most committees do a far better job utilizing RPI as one tool and professionally seeding teams. I keep up with about a half dozen NCAA sports very closely. It can be done.

But unfortunately, the softball committee is so incompetent that when they try to stray greatly from it, they make it worse instead of better. We agree about that.


Yes Bama_CF, we can agree on that, sir. 

__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #103 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan


Wins should be all that matters. (And I am not defending OU's losses to Arizona, Auburn, etc)



There are flaws in the RPI formula, agreed. But are you seriously saying that "Wins are all that matters"? So 6 wins over Iowa State and Texas Tech would be better than going 4-2 vs UCLA and Oregon or Auburn and LSU?  Really?

__________________

 

Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #104 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan



You can think more or less of me. I really don't care. lol

 

I never said BAMA_CF was mean to Gasso. I said "poor Tenn and Bama fan got butt-hurt..."



Come on, I meant more as a fan not a person. You know that.

__________________

 

3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,070
Reply with quote  #105 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan
It is rigged in favor of the SEC and Pac 12. Like it or not. Many of us are confused not just about OU but about Minn and possibly more. 

I never said you were mean. What you think of me is not my concern. 



Rigged? Crappy conferences 'rig' the system against an Oklahoma, FSU or Minnesota. Thank god the RPI doesn't let those teams cupcake their way to a Top 8
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 542
Reply with quote  #106 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan
It is rigged in favor of the SEC and Pac 12. Like it or not. Many of us are confused not just about OU but about Minn and possibly more. 

I never said you were mean. What you think of me is not my concern. 





Rigged is not the right word. It favors SEC & PAC teams. The bigger issue is the appearance of committee applying different decision making criteria to different teams and situations. Maybe that's ONLY appearance. But without transparency, no one really knows and imaginations run wild.
SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #107 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



There are flaws in the RPI formula, agreed. But are you seriously saying that "Wins are all that matters"? So 6 wins over Iowa State or Texas Tech would be better than going 4-2 vs UCLA and Oregon or Auburn and LSU?  Really?


Wins meaning, if Miss State, Ark, Ole Miss, Mizzou, etc as example lose to AU, UA, FL, etc, they should not be rewarded just for playing them. It's conference. Most teams don't have any control over what conference they are in. Those decisions are made on a larger scale, probably related to football/MBB more than anything. 



 

__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,466
Reply with quote  #108 
h8trz!
SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #109 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
h8trz!


yep. yOU win a couple of NCs and lots of people will hate that team and the coach. Jealousy rules the day. 



__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,466
Reply with quote  #110 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan


yep. yOU win a couple of NCs and lots of people will hate that team and the coach. Jealousy rules the day. 





lol nobody hates oh you for that...and btw, oh you has the biggest, most outlandish home advantage of all when it comes to the wcws!
BigOrangeSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 220
Reply with quote  #111 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU


Hey Big Orange, here's your indication: This is essentially the same OU team that romped through the best of the SEC last season on the way to the NC. Yeah, we're talking last season vs. this season, but I don't think the Sooners or this year's SEC cohort is materially different in terms of skill/competitiveness.

To say it's ridiculous that the champion of a P5 conference would do better than 5th in the SEC is itself ridiculous.  


Oklahoma won the national title because florida choked last year. Let's make that clear first of all. Secondly they didn't "romp" through the wcws. They won one of the most competitive series ever. Thirdly, they aren't the same team as last year. They didn't perform like they did last year.

It's laughable for oklahoma fans to pretend they are the team that won the wcws last year, but not the team that didn't perform at a championship level in the OOC this year.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 542
Reply with quote  #112 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
h8trz!


If hating a poorly administered, significantly flawed system that creates more questions than answers and has virtually no enthusiastic support (that I can ascertain) from its members and fans, then yes, I'm a hater.
SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #113 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



lol nobody hates oh you for that...and btw, oh you has the biggest, most outlandish home advantage of all when it comes to the wcws!


Nobody is arguing that (tonight) anyway. lol

__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
SoonerFan

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #114 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeSoftball
Oklahoma won the national title because florida choked last year. Let's make that clear first of all. Secondly they didn't "romp" through the wcws. They won one of the most competitive series ever. Thirdly, they aren't the same team as last year. They didn't perform like they did last year. It's laughable for oklahoma fans to pretend they are the team that won the wcws last year, but not the team that didn't perform at a championship level in the OOC this year.


BigOrange, you wouldn't happen to be a Tenn fan would you?

__________________
Tradition is just fine. Until something better comes along. 
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #115 
Last year's OU team has NOTHING to do with it. ZERO. To give any credence whatsoever to last year's team in doing this year's seeding would be criminal. But it is the problem with some of the OU fans this year. Entitlement.

You do NOT get seeded based on talent or expected results if you play to your highest potential in the NCAA. It is based on your body or work, who you beat and who you lost to. OU might win the national championship again. And if they do, it will NOT mean they deserved a top 8 seed from the committee.

You played 7 games vs SEC and Pac-12 teams and went 3-4 (with 2 of the wins coming over teams with losing conf records). So it is not the least bit absurd to estimate 5th in one of those conferences.

4 losses in 7 games vs SEC and Pac-12 teams. And 1 loss in 18 games vs the Big12. But you persist in crying "rigged"


__________________

 

eeyore

Registered:
Posts: 46
Reply with quote  #116 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF
RPI clearly benefits teams that play tough schedules, and especially those that win games against very good teams.


No, it doesn't.  It rewards teams that win a lot of games and that play a lot of teams that also win a lot of games.  It doesn't care which of your games you win, and it doesn't really care who your opponents have played.*  It's actually a pretty easy system to fool.  This isn't the worst of RPI's problems from a mathematical perspective, but it's bad.

*The Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage doesn't make a whole lot of difference.  Not only is the coefficient only .25, by the time you get two steps deep into the process, the element itself is converging rapidly towards .5.  The difference between the best winning percentage in the country and the worst is much larger than the difference between the greatest OWP and the least, which is then significantly larger than the difference between the greatest OOWP and the least.  Each step would require a greater coefficient than the ones before it to have as much of an impact in the overall rating.
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 2,229
Reply with quote  #117 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore


No, it doesn't.  It rewards teams that win a lot of games and that play a lot of teams that also win a lot of games.  It doesn't care which of your games you win, and it doesn't really care who your opponents have played.*  It's actually a pretty easy system to fool.  This isn't the worst of RPI's problems from a mathematical perspective, but it's bad.

*The Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage doesn't make a whole lot of difference.  Not only is the coefficient only .25, by the time you get two steps deep into the process, the element itself is converging rapidly towards .5.  The difference between the best winning percentage in the country and the worst is much larger than the difference between the greatest OWP and the least, which is then significantly larger than the difference between the greatest OOWP and the least.  Each step would require a greater coefficient than the ones before it to have as much of an impact in the overall rating.



Really?? Well the actual RPI sure says otherwise. The group of teams ranked at the top are all among the teams that played the most games against the top 25. AND the order of their ranking matches almost perfectly to the percentage of those games they WON. 

Florida is #1  - .762 in their 21 games vs top 25
Oregon is #2 - .727 in their 22 games vs top 25

With the exception of UCLA, the next group of teams is ordered almost perfectly in line with their winning % vs top teams. 

Then you get to Ole Miss, which played 25 games vs top 25 but winning % was .440. They are #18.

The RPI, year after year, is a fairly accurate predictor of the WCWS and how teams will do when they get there.

__________________

 

eeyore

Registered:
Posts: 46
Reply with quote  #118 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF
Really?? Well the actual RPI sure says otherwise. 


Note that your analysis is circular; by saying that the top teams play a lot of games against other teams near the top of RPI, you are saying that RPI is a very good predictor of itself.  That should surprise no one.
BigOrangeSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 220
Reply with quote  #119 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan
Poor Tenn and Bama fan. They got their butt-hurt by Gasso and OU. 

She's a fine individual. I would gladly call her friend over the two of you. 

Ya'll are just trolling. 


Actually what gasso said was trolling. Talking about last year and Ole Miss. 2 things that have nothing to do with why oklahoma isn't a top 8 and rightfully so.
BigOrangeSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 220
Reply with quote  #120 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerFan


BigOrange, you wouldn't happen to be a Tenn fan would you?


Yeah, we have a better resume than oklahoma this year. It sucks for you I know.

We went 16-7 in the sec last year and got a 14 seed. It sucked but we didn't play well enough in the OOC. Just like Oklahoma this year.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.