Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Buffy

Registered:
Posts: 87
Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone on here actually read or take notice of their articles? They certainly do not know what they are talking about, especially concerning the Lotief firing. They completely ignored all the university’s documents and witness testimony. It’s very one sided and extremely poor journalism
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 735
Reply with quote  #2 

According to Coach Lotief's attorney, the former softball coach raised the following concerns to the university:

- Cutting the softball field grass.


Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 735
Reply with quote  #3 
Look, you are going to have some players come to Lotief's defense and you will have the other players and employees that got the Lotief  meltdown train wreck.....So, if they go lawsuit it will wind around and around for a while,  until it settles.....ULL has hired a coach and the Univ moves on....
softballoldie1

Registered:
Posts: 21
Reply with quote  #4 
I’d say Buffy is clearly one sided.
Campguy

Registered:
Posts: 70
Reply with quote  #5 
I don't think coach is to going to approve of this continous retoric from someone who is on her staff.

Emptynester

Registered:
Posts: 141
Reply with quote  #6 
Consider the source. Flo Softball is a great place for info on softball. Research  is not their strong point. They do articles when parents and coaches send info to them via e-mail.
Softballmind

Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #7 
Flosoftball is a joke at best. It is so one sided, if they like a coach or a parent that who they write about. All there ranking are on players and schools are completely wrong. Most of there top 100 players bomb when they make it to college,cause daddy not there coaching anymore. #stopflosoftball
lotsoffish

Registered:
Posts: 105
Reply with quote  #8 
Don't have a horse in this race, but you sound like you do. Please provide examples of great/good college players who were mispresented or not in the top 100.  If they do miss a few, they probably were late bloomers. Hard to fault Flo Softball for missing them. Plus you give no credit to college coaches who bring out the best in players.
leip822

Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballmind
Flosoftball is a joke at best. It is so one sided, if they like a coach or a parent that who they write about. All there ranking are on players and schools are completely wrong. Most of there top 100 players bomb when they make it to college,cause daddy not there coaching anymore. #stopflosoftball

Most isn't accurate. The flo top 25 tend to produce some stars. Barnhill, knigten, Lorenz, Gregg, and tons of more examples. Some of the lower ranked players end up doing well in college too, ocasio being the best example of that.


__________________
sl
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,555
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballmind
Flosoftball is a joke at best. It is so one sided, if they like a coach or a parent that who they write about. All there ranking are on players and schools are completely wrong. Most of there top 100 players bomb when they make it to college,cause daddy not there coaching anymore. #stopflosoftball
Most players bomb at college because playing college ball is hard

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

The streaming from events such as the Nutter is tremendous, and the lists are far from perfect (as ANYONE'S would be)... but it is people talking about softball.

Try starting your own softball website.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,555
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoffish
Don't have a horse in this race, but you sound like you do. Please provide examples of great/good college players who were mispresented or not in the top 100.  If they do miss a few, they probably were late bloomers. Hard to fault Flo Softball for missing them. Plus you give no credit to college coaches who bring out the best in players.
Of COURSE they miss on a bunch....you have tens of thousands of players from all over this country.

LeLe Ocasio was a nasty miss.

A great view-grabber would be them re-doing the Hot 100, four years after the fact, with up arrows and down arrows of where a kid who is a senior in college now moved from the 2014 ratings.

Again, I think that the money they get from me is a PITTANCE to have a dedicated softball website like theirs, any warts and all
Softballmind

Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #12 
No dog in the fight at all!!!! They just seem to write and make lists that don't make any sense. I agree that they are trying, but I just think there staff really gets lost with a lot of bad info on players. It also hurts a lot of really good players that may not be on 1 of the money making organizations.
Fresh

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #13 
They have to rely on  the recommendations from coaches they know and respect. They don't have the budget, or the opportunity, to see every player at every venue. It's an opinion that promotes discussion. That, in itself, is good for the sport. Unless you get out on the trail and see for yourself, you wouldn't know some of these players exist. If not worth the price of admission, don't pay. I have enjoyed many aspects of FloSoftball and intend to continue my subscription.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,027
Reply with quote  #14 
Great post Fresh. And as 3left earlier posted, most anything that drives discussion about our sport is a good thing. 

Sure Flo has some shortcomings but the positives far outweigh their lack of assets to cover the individual kids in more detail. They have always been very player/coach/team "friendly". Many players have gotten much needed PR & exposure they would not have gotten anywhere else. 

Derrick Allister @ OnDeck has probably done it better than anybody IMO. 
Nedpics

Registered:
Posts: 132
Reply with quote  #15 
I am a fan of Flosoftball, too. I don't watch, or pay attention to their extensive high school coverage, but I find their college coverage to be well worth my monthly payment. In the last two years, their coverage of Mary Nutter and other college tournaments has improved a lot. They may not be ESPN, but they do well with a limited budget.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,108
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
They have to rely on  the recommendations from coaches they know and respect. They don't have the budget, or the opportunity, to see every player at every venue. It's an opinion that promotes discussion. That, in itself, is good for the sport. Unless you get out on the trail and see for yourself, you wouldn't know some of these players exist. If not worth the price of admission, don't pay. I have enjoyed many aspects of FloSoftball and intend to continue my subscription.


Please stop making me agree with you.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,559
Reply with quote  #17 
FloSoftball is a-ok and their lists are pretty accurate.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 437
Reply with quote  #18 
I think FloSoftball would do themselves a favor by changing their player rankings from numerical values (1-100) to 5-star, 4-star, 3-star, ect.  It is much easier to lump players together vs. trying to evaluate them against each other.  But their main objective is to sell memberships to their website, and I bet every player in the top 100's parents have bought a membership to check on their daughters ranking.
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 34
Reply with quote  #19 
I like Flo Softball overall. Its good exposure for our game. I do not like the good old boy homer network they use for ranking players and teams. Thats a bit embarrassing 
__________________
 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,108
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD
I think FloSoftball would do themselves a favor by changing their player rankings from numerical values (1-100) to 5-star, 4-star, 3-star, ect.  It is much easier to lump players together vs. trying to evaluate them against each other.  But their main objective is to sell memberships to their website, and I bet every player in the top 100's parents have bought a membership to check on their daughters ranking.


+1, and by moving to stars it would do a lot to not alienate those players/families who aren't in the top100.
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 34
Reply with quote  #21 
I see a lot of players that are every bit as good or better than some of the ranked players on Flo but they do not play for one of the big name coaches or teams. So they get left out. I know of several young players right now that are being watched very closely by several top schools but no where to be found on Flo. They are significantly better than most of the players Flo has ranked in the top 30. They play for a respectable organization and participate in some significant showcases and tournaments but they do not play for one of the big guys. Make no mistake they have not been missed by the big D! colleges, just Flo.     
__________________
 
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 35
Reply with quote  #22 
When and if those kids commit to the big D1's Flo will take notice.  Their rankings in the 80-100 range are very debatable because there's not much difference in the 84th player and the 184th.  They do a pretty good job on the top 30 though.  Sure they miss some, but nobody else is ranking kids. 

I like the star system proposed by JAD.  Parents will still complain that their kiddo didn't get enough or any stars, but much better than a numerical ranking. 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,108
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor
I see a lot of players that are every bit as good or better than some of the ranked players on Flo but they do not play for one of the big name coaches or teams. So they get left out. I know of several young players right now that are being watched very closely by several top schools but no where to be found on Flo. They are significantly better than most of the players Flo has ranked in the top 30. They play for a respectable organization and participate in some significant showcases and tournaments but they do not play for one of the big guys. Make no mistake they have not been missed by the big D! colleges, just Flo.     


This happens across all rankings for all sports.  Mark Ingram as a 3-star but wins the Heisman.  There will always be someone that is missed because they weren't in the spotlight or someone who is overvalued because they were in the spotlight.  You just kinda have to look at it "on the whole," and as there is only one ranking site going to this level then we don't have much to compare.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.