Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 103
Reply with quote  #1 
After being around the game for more than 10+ years and seeing the change in equipment and athletes, if you don't at least have a face mask on the pitcher (and probably the corners) then I just think your waiting for the inevitable disaster. Watching a high school game yesterday, watched a ball come off the face mask of a pitcher that I kid you not would have killed her had she not had it on. The player ended up with a concussion even with two he mask. I'm not sure which I heard first the ball hitting the bat or the ball hitting the players mask, it was that fast. Now watching ND and Louisville, Louisville pitcher takes one off the head. If a coach tells you they don't want a mask on your daughter as a pitcher then you don't want to play for that coach because you truly have to ask if they have your daughters best interest at heart. The game is far more different in terms of equipment and the level of the athletes than when many of these coaches played.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 991
Reply with quote  #2 
Well, this discussion is ongoing. The most egregious thing about the ND game was the coach didn't immediatley pull her. She did come out after 1 batter.

I don't disagree about pitchers having masks for pure safety reasons but it will probably have to come down to some sort of mandate by the NCAA. All in all the percentage of pitchers getting hit is extremly low and, getting seriously hurt even lower. 

Now UGA whole infield was wearing masks until todays game. I agree with you but, maybe 3rd base but, SS,2nd,1st base I find a little silly. But, let the girls make that decision on their own. 
heavy

Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #3 
IMO facemasks are going to kill softball on TV. I think viewers want to see the faces of the players. That is one of the things that is good about baseball/softball. The popularity of softball on TV started when Jennie Finch was pitching for Arizona. That would not have happened if she was wearing a facemask.
How about we teach the pitchers to stay out of the middle of the plate
Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 103
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy
IMO facemasks are going to kill softball on TV. I think viewers want to see the faces of the players. That is one of the things that is good about baseball/softball. The popularity of softball on TV started when Jennie Finch was pitching for Arizona. That would not have happened if she was wearing a facemask.
How about we teach the pitchers to stay out of the middle of the plate


Kill the game or mame or kill a player? I think I know what my choice is. You can tak about pitchers missing in the middle all day, but that's what it is, a miss. Mistakes happen. When it a player is severely injured or worse, and it will happen I hope you still feel it will kill the game.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,052
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy
IMO facemasks are going to kill softball on TV. I think viewers want to see the faces of the players. That is one of the things that is good about baseball/softball. The popularity of softball on TV started when Jennie Finch was pitching for Arizona. That would not have happened if she was wearing a facemask.
How about we teach the pitchers to stay out of the middle of the plate


Anyone watching softball for the beauty (or lack-thereof) of the players is watching for the wrong reasons. Sexualizing female athletes so that we "enjoy" their respective sports is part of the problem, because what you are effectively saying is that you'd personally rather the players "look hot" than be safe, while also shaming them for their precautions. Blaming a pitcher for throwing down the middle is, at least in this situation, no better or worse than saying "well she dressed provocatively, so she asked for it". Just because a pitcher throws down the middle, or a woman dresses "sexy", it doesn't mean either of them asked to be hit/hit on. A pitcher doesn't simply go out there saying "well I'm going to throw this over the middle and see how hard she can hit it back into my face". She should maybe be aware of it, but in a way wearing a mask is being aware. Don't shame a player for wanting to be safe, especially when your reasoning is cosmetic and cosmetic alone.
heavy

Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #6 
I have also been around the game for quite a while. My daughter pitched for over 15 years (select, HS, JUCO and NCAA). She never wore a mask. I can count on one hand the times I saw a ball hit towards a pitchers face. I never saw a serious injury. I've seen balls off their shins, are we going to mandate shin guards? I've seen runners get hurt sliding, are we going to outlaw that?
The point being, there is a risk with playing any sport. that is understood.
I didn't say masks would kill the sport. I said masks will kill the amount of TV coverage the sport gets. This will then reduce the number of kids that want to play because they aren't exposed to it as much.
Once again, this is my OPINION.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,459
Reply with quote  #7 
So, do you own car insurance?
Wilmer1

Registered:
Posts: 186
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy
I have also been around the game for quite a while. My daughter pitched for over 15 years (select, HS, JUCO and NCAA). She never wore a mask. I can count on one hand the times I saw a ball hit towards a pitchers face. I never saw a serious injury. I've seen balls off their shins, are we going to mandate shin guards? I've seen runners get hurt sliding, are we going to outlaw that?
The point being, there is a risk with playing any sport. that is understood.
I didn't say masks would kill the sport. I said masks will kill the amount of TV coverage the sport gets. This will then reduce the number of kids that want to play because they aren't exposed to it as much.
Once again, this is my OPINION.


You are certainly entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong or stupid it is. 
heavy

Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan
Anyone watching softball for the beauty (or lack-thereof) of the players is watching for the wrong reasons. Sexualizing female athletes so that we "enjoy" their respective sports is part of the problem, because what you are effectively saying is that you'd personally rather the players "look hot" than be safe, while also shaming them for their precautions. Blaming a pitcher for throwing down the middle is, at least in this situation, no better or worse than saying "well she dressed provocatively, so she asked for it". Just because a pitcher throws down the middle, or a woman dresses "sexy", it doesn't mean either of them asked to be hit/hit on. A pitcher doesn't simply go out there saying "well I'm going to throw this over the middle and see how hard she can hit it back into my face". She should maybe be aware of it, but in a way wearing a mask is being aware. Don't shame a player for wanting to be safe, especially when your reasoning is cosmetic and cosmetic alone.


I've never "shamed " anyone. If one of my players wanted to wear the mask so be it. I think it would be wrong for it to be mandated by NCAA or anyone else. That should be a parent's decision or a player's decision

3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,459
Reply with quote  #10 
I think sometimes parents and kids need to be protected from themselves.... would love to hear paige lowary's and tori finucane's opinions
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,108
Reply with quote  #11 
They aren't kids - they are adults.  Let them make the decision.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 421
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy
IMO facemasks are going to kill softball on TV. I think viewers want to see the faces of the players. That is one of the things that is good about baseball/softball. The popularity of softball on TV started when Jennie Finch was pitching for Arizona. That would not have happened if she was wearing a facemask.
How about we teach the pitchers to stay out of the middle of the plate


Umpires squeezing the strike zone leads to more meatballs down the middle...
heavy

Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD
Umpires squeezing the strike zone leads to more meatballs down the middle...


That's for sure
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,459
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
They aren't kids - they are adults.  Let them make the decision.
they are adults and they must wear seatbelts.... same idea. Everyone thinks sh#t don't happen to them, and then it does.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,459
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
They aren't kids - they are adults.  Let them make the decision.
ok, then don't allow a pitch in travel ball without a mask. That's how mlb squeezed chewing tobacco out of the game.... made it a minor leagues rule
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,108
Reply with quote  #16 
That's fine if those involved with the sport want it, but to mandate adults wear one is not right IMO.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
vol52

Registered:
Posts: 970
Reply with quote  #17 
My daughter took a line drive in the face during her senior year of high school ball.  The ball was hit hard enough that it ricochetted into right field. Talk about a sick, helpless feeling as a dad who could do nothing at that moment! Heavy, you have no idea. She kept a bag of frozen peas on her face for a day and a half and pitched again three days later.  She was very lucky that there weren't any major injuries (thank goodness for a well fitting mouthpiece).  In 2004 high school ball in our part of the country was still throwing from 40 feet.  Moving to 43 feet in college made a difference for her. Had she been pitching from 43 in high school she would not have been hit.  She never considered wearing a mask, even after I mentioned it to her.  I respected her choice, but totally understand the increased use of masks for obvious safety issues, especially if it allows pitchers to relax and focus on throwing.
________________
Steve Rhodes
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 5,113
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmer1


You are certainly entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong or stupid it is. 

What a comment. And the same could be said about those sharing your viewpoint..
Choice is a wonderful thing.

__________________
#SCOTUS

Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 733
Reply with quote  #19 
Kelsey Nunley at Kentucky chose to wear a mask. She had a ball come back and hit off her mask in the SEC tournament...
TaacAsunSunblt

Registered:
Posts: 123
Reply with quote  #20 
I did not wear a mask in college, but I do wear one now playing slow pitch.  I have been hit in the mask at least three times and one of those times was by a man in coed.  It saved me a trip to the hospital.  The bats are the difference.  I play SS in women's ball and sometimes I don't even have time to get my glove up.  Now, I know that the slow pitch bats are not the same as college, but I think if I were playing in college now that I might wear it.  It does not prohibit my view and it basically keeps my head down with no worry.  I don't see the down side as long as you can see.  All of the coaches I played for would have allowed it.  If they use a mask as an excuse not to recruit you, then you can't hit and they don't want you. 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,459
Reply with quote  #21 
Great final line there, Taac
heavy

Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaacAsunSunblt
I did not wear a mask in college, but I do wear one now playing slow pitch.  I have been hit in the mask at least three times and one of those times was by a man in coed.  It saved me a trip to the hospital.  The bats are the difference.  I play SS in women's ball and sometimes I don't even have time to get my glove up.  Now, I know that the slow pitch bats are not the same as college, but I think if I were playing in college now that I might wear it.  It does not prohibit my view and it basically keeps my head down with no worry.  I don't see the down side as long as you can see.  All of the coaches I played for would have allowed it.  If they use a mask as an excuse not to recruit you, then you can't hit and they don't want you. 

I would wear full body armor to pitch in slow pitch.

Mangler

Registered:
Posts: 205
Reply with quote  #23 
The question that looms is why NOT wear one?  Why they should is graphically shown on numerous occasions.
Batters have caught up to the pitchers, that's why the sport blossomed. 
Picture is what men wear who throw slow pitch from 46 feet and back up after pitch, plus have time to get ready.  Female college pitchers have neither luxury.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KhyJVpnYOcM/TlLpI9kPqGI/AAAAAAAACdg/BjKdpIGjczQ/s800/DSC07092.JPG
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,459
Reply with quote  #24 
NHL requires... requires... players to wear helmets.



These are all private organizations, exposed to potential legal action.

Shocked they aren't required
RELAX

Registered:
Posts: 302
Reply with quote  #25 
Are facemasks required on batting helmets now? 

Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 103
Reply with quote  #26 
Well, after starting this thread and seeing the mulititude of responses I want to explain my rationale. I watched a high school player take a line drive off the mask with enough force to bend the mask enough to cut her upper lip requiring stitches and also fracturing the maxilla. Had she not had a mask on I kid you not I'm not sure she's alive and if she is I'm not sure of the long term damage. For those of you who have seen this, I'm sure you will agree it is one of the sickest scenes. Wilmer, you are more than entitled to your opinion, that's the beauty of this country just as the choice to not wear a mask is a choice. However, many won't wear a mask due to the perceptions of coaches and people like you, "it makes you less of a player". As I said before, if a college coach won't recruit your daughter because she wears a mask, I think you have to ask does that coach have your daughters best interest at heart. As for those of you that say toughen up and get better, don't hang pitches, I would love for you to, God forebid it happens and it will, look into the eyes of a parent it happens to their daughter and say she should've gotten better at not hanging pitches.
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 733
Reply with quote  #27 
NCAA looking at a new helmet for pitchers to try out...


[HelmetHammer1-e1421093091960] 


Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 103
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin22
NCAA looking at a new helmet for pitchers to try out...


[HelmetHammer1-e1421093091960] 




Great pic, let me know how dd looks after surgery. Look people it's coming if you like it or not. The first step in getting something like this mandated is for a governing body to make a move. Based on research from Cincinnati Children's Hospital which tracks much of the data for NFHS, Kentucky's High School Athletic Association "strongly recommended" pitchers wearing face masks. Once something like that happens it doesn't take long to go from strongly suggesting to mandating. My hope is something happens before some catastrophic happens. I have two daughters that are both going to play college softball, one at a P5 school. One is a pitcher and she wears a mask. I would really like to see her be able to walk down the aisle one day.
Mangler

Registered:
Posts: 205
Reply with quote  #29 
Devin22 acts like a 10yr old
Dont be like Devin22
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 733
Reply with quote  #30 
Oh please Mangler, lighten up Francis....You can smile once in awhile, it won't kill you...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.