Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,496
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftbll4ever


Yup, Bobby Sox to Little Miss.  I totally remember when everyone left Bobby Sox to play Little Miss because we could slide in Little Miss!!!  AAAHHHHHH those were the days!!



Hey now!

No automatic alt text available.
cleareyesfullheart

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruDat
A lot of the travel ball teams are rackets. But there are plenty of other areas where families get bilked out of their money. I would venture to say that most camps kids go to are worthless. Nothing is learned and it is just a way for some sponsor or a school to collect money from starry eyed kids and parents. Pitching coaches for kids who will never make it soak plenty of money from hopeful parents. To get to play for the big Teams you pretty much need to get into one of the feeder travel ball programs and pay the money. It is a distorted system. But since recruiting is restricted and dollars are tight it pushes the financial onus on the families of kids trying to make it into college with a scholarship.


I find it hard to believe that kids don't learn things when going to camps. I have been to many and as long at the kid listens and has an open mind to try new things they will learn. Will they leave there a stud player, no, but the will have new techniques that they can work on and get better.
TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 1,034
Reply with quote  #33 
In my experience they are of limited value.
Not2day

Registered:
Posts: 64
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruDat
A lot of the travel ball teams are rackets. But there are plenty of other areas where families get bilked out of their money. I would venture to say that most camps kids go to are worthless. Nothing is learned and it is just a way for some sponsor or a school to collect money from starry eyed kids and parents. Pitching coaches for kids who will never make it soak plenty of money from hopeful parents. To get to play for the big Teams you pretty much need to get into one of the feeder travel ball programs and pay the money. It is a distorted system. But since recruiting is restricted and dollars are tight it pushes the financial onus on the families of kids trying to make it into college with a scholarship.


What many parents don't realize is that if the saved the same amount of money that they're spending on travel ball, they'd have college paid for.

As for any position coaching lessons, especially pitchers, it's a needed tool. Pretty sure Jennie, Cat, etc... all had some form of lessons for their position. Sure, many may not may it, but those that do didn't just wake up one day knowing how to pitch.
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 4,897
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2day


What many parents don't realize is that if the saved the same amount of money that they're spending on travel ball, they'd have college paid for.

I think this is one of the old myths in softball. I don't know anyone shelling out 40k a year for TB like you would for an out of state school

__________________
#SCOTUS
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,266
Reply with quote  #36 
And, again, part of the TB costs are what otherwise would have been weekend expenditures on entertainment and whatnot with the family. There is a level of defrayment
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 298
Reply with quote  #37 
We spent more than we could afford on travel ball, but going into freshman year, she's getting more out of it (in terms of financial aid) than we put into it.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 564
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazsdad

I think this is one of the old myths in softball. I don't know anyone shelling out 40k a year for TB like you would for an out of state school


👍
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 94
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazsdad
I think this is one of the old myths in softball. I don't know anyone shelling out 40k a year for TB like you would for an out of state school


No but I know several people who I would estimate pay $20-$25k/per year or at least what an in-state school would cost.  Factor in that they started paying these higher costs at 14u so it's a 5-6 year expense instead of just 4 years and you may get somewhere in the ballpark of a $40k/yr average cost over 4 years.

$40k sounds kinda low for out of state to me, the ones we looked at for my kids were $50-$60k for out of state (one was public the other private).  Then once you've gotten to the point where a college coach offers and you give them your financials you find out that you're going to be shelling out for a big chunk of the bill anyway.    
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.