Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #31 
It has been 8 years since a team on the west coast has won a National title.  
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,434
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
It has been 8 years since a team on the west coast has won a National title.  


And going on 4 years since the SEC claimed a crown?

Has the earth spun off its axis?
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


And going on 4 years since the SEC claimed a crown?

Has the earth spun off its axis?


Probably due to the rise of the ACC.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,880
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Probably due to the rise of the ACC.


...The ACC? Florida State, more like.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,236
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


...The ACC? Florida State, more like.


+1
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 3,504
Reply with quote  #36 
UW opponents (*):

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw

1) Oklahoma (Big XII - 1)
2) UCLA (Pac 12 - 1) * (3)
3) Washington (Pac 12 - 2)
4) Florida (SEC - 1) *
5) Georgia (SEC - 2)
6) Kentucky (SEC - 3) *
7) Florida State (ACC - 1)
8) South Carolina (SEC - 4)
9) Arizona (Pac 12 - 3) * (3)
10) Arkansas (SEC - 5)
11) Oregon (Pac 12 - 4) * (3)
12) Texas (Big XII - 2)
13) Tennessee (SEC - 6)
14) Alabama (SEC - 7)
15) Louisiana (Sun Belt - 1)
16) LSU (SEC - 8)
17) James Madison (Colonial - 1)
18) Michigan (Big 10 - 1) *
19) Oklahoma State (Big XII - 3)
20) Baylor (Big XII - 4) *
21) Auburn (SEC - 9) *
22) Ohio State (Big 10 - 2) *
23) Notre Dame (ACC - 2) *
24) Minnesota (Big 10 - 3)
25) Arizona State (Pac 12 - 5) * (3)
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


...The ACC? Florida State, more like.


[giphy-downsized] 
Midwest

Registered:
Posts: 73
Reply with quote  #38 
(IF) How would the addition of Kleist to Texas change their "projected" #12 ranking?
__________________
Just a guy that likes softball.
Nextyear

Registered:
Posts: 339
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest
(IF) How would the addition of Kleist to Texas change their "projected" #12 ranking?


It would make them a strong WCWS contender.
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,612
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest
(IF) How would the addition of Kleist to Texas change their "projected" #12 ranking?


It would make them a WCWS contender. Don't think she's going to Texas though.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 1,304
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


It would make them a WCWS contender. Don't think she's going to Texas though.


There are a few SEC programs who could use an elite pitcher... 
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 915
Reply with quote  #42 
Consider moving Oregon to 20-25 or out altogether. They already have ALL incoming freshman listed on their roster, and after losing Kleist, they will only have 13 players left. 2 pitchers left as well, one a transfer, the other (Maggie Balint) only pitched 50 innings total, and only 9.0 innings in the pac-12.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 2,103
Reply with quote  #43 
My early Top 5:

1. Oklahoma
2. UCLA
3. Florida
4. Florida State
5. University of Oregon at Austin
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,392
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
My early Top 5:

1. Oklahoma
2. UCLA
3. Florida
4. Florida State
5. University of Oregon at Austin


Appreciate the nod to the ACC but think Fla St @ 4 is a bit generous. National Title hangover aside, they got 1 pitcher who is a fantastic game manager but not a shutdown type kid by any means. 

Your #5 is outstanding.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 3,036
Reply with quote  #45 
That number 5 is amazing. LOL

I’m going to say:

1. Washington
2. UCLA
3. Florida
4. Oklahoma
5. Florida State
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #46 
Oklahoma should win it all, anything less will be a failure for that program.  Washington, over rated.  UCLA good, Florida good, FSU who knows.   
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,612
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
Oklahoma should win it all, anything less will be a failure for that program.  Washington, over rated.  UCLA good, Florida good, FSU who knows.   


Washington has the best pitching duo in the country. Their offense may take a step back from last year, but they get back the 2017 pac-12 rbi leader along with an AA ss. Their defense is even more athletic than last year when they finished top 5 in fielding pct.

I think UCLA has a bit more talent overall, but they are right there. Faraimo will be great but I think next year is the year for her and Garcia will have to carry the load.

OK has Juarez who hasnt proven herself in big time situations but is a great pitcher. After that they have a staff without a lot 9f big game experience. Their offense should be potent but I dont see them on quite the same level with UCLA and WA.

I expect some of the recent transfers will change the landscape significantly. Kleist is a fantastic pitcher, Iakopo a really good catcher. They could change a team's outlook considerably.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Washington has the best pitching duo in the country. Their offense may take a step back from last year, but they get back the 2017 pac-12 rbi leader along with an AA ss. Their defense is even more athletic than last year when they finished top 5 in fielding pct.

I think UCLA has a bit more talent overall, but they are right there. Faraimo will be great but I think next year is the year for her and Garcia will have to carry the load.

OK has Juarez who hasnt proven herself in big time situations but is a great pitcher. After that they have a staff without a lot 9f big game experience. Their offense should be potent but I dont see them on the same level with UCLA and WA.


Yes, Washington has pitching, but their offense wasn't good last year and this year it will be worse, that is why I think in the end they will not be a top team.
trund

Registered:
Posts: 267
Reply with quote  #49 
I'm sure that Oklahoma and Oregon agree with you wholeheartedly. 
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,612
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Yes, Washington has pitching, but their offense wasn't good last year and this year it will be worse, that is why I think in the end they will not be a top team.


Yeah thats what a lot of people said last year too after the ucla and or series and they ended up national runners up.

WA is not going to need to score many runs to win games. In the WCWS pitching normally rules and Plain had like a .7 era in the wcws last year so i dont know how much scoring theyre going to need. I also dont think their offense will be that much worse and if anything their defense should be better. I guess we'll see.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,392
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
Oklahoma should win it all, anything less will be a failure for that program.  Washington, over rated.  UCLA good, Florida good, FSU who knows.   


They got 1 proven, legit #1 pitcher. Then Lopez. Beyond that is big question mark. I still believe Saile is the key to their bullpen. If she can show she can throw at this level & eat up some innings against good teams, ye their chances improve. 

Their total bullpen won't make up for losing Parker/Lowery. And Juarez will need more run support to carry them that far. My pick would be UCLA. imo, Faraimo will prove to be better than anybody after Juarez.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #52 
Oklahoma has the pitching and hitting, Florida has the pitching and hitting, UCLA has the pitching and hitting, Washington has the pitching but hitting is questionable at best.
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,612
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
Oklahoma has the pitching and hitting, Florida has the pitching and hitting, UCLA has the pitching and hitting, Washington has the pitching but hitting is questionable at best.


Florida has Barnhill and a bunch of others that havent shown much.

Ucla has Garcia and a new freshman who is going to be good but is a freshman and a so far underperforming sophomore.

Same with ok, Juarez and a bunch of players, some who have shown flashes but none who have consistent big time experience.

WA has Alvelo and Plain, both established all-americans, who complement each other perfectly. They finished second to Lowary and Parker in combined ERA.

So, while those other teams have "pitching", WA is in another league.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Florida has Barnhill and a bunch of others that havent shown much.

Ucla has Garcia and a new freshman who is going to be good but is a freshman and a so far underperforming sophomore.

Same with ok, Juarez and a bunch of players, some who have shown flashes but none who have consistent big time experience.

WA has Alvelo and Plain, both established all-americans, who complement each other perfectly. They finished second to Lowary and Parker in combined ERA.

So, while those other teams have "pitching", WA is in another league.


Florida has Lugo who should slide in nicely, UCLA is fine, OK has great pitchers coming out of the gills( Saile is very good and you are discounting her)


Regardless, Washington does not have hitting, that is my whole point.  
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 915
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Florida has Lugo who should slide in nicely, UCLA is fine, OK has great pitchers coming out of the gills( Saile is very good and you are discounting her)


Regardless, Washington does not have hitting, that is my whole point.  


Lugo has shown next to nothing her entire career, also do you not realize they just lost their pitching coach? Saile needs to prove herself before she can be considered "very good." Nobody other than Rachel Garcia can pitch for UCLA and Megan Faraimo needs to pitch before we even count in UCLA. Washington has Sis Bates, Amirah Milloy, and Morganne Flores who can all hit the ball. Taryn Atlee got experience last season and should be stronger after this offseason. Yes they also have a bunch of freshman coming who also need to prove themselves in the season just like Megan Faraimo and Saile.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion


Lugo has shown next to nothing her entire career, also do you not realize they just lost their pitching coach? Saile needs to prove herself before she can be considered "very good." Nobody other than Rachel Garcia can pitch for UCLA and Megan Faraimo needs to pitch before we even count in UCLA. Washington has Sis Bates, Amirah Milloy, and Morganne Flores who can all hit the ball. Taryn Atlee got experience last season and should be stronger after this offseason. Yes they also have a bunch of freshman coming who also need to prove themselves in the season just like Megan Faraimo and Saile.


Lugo is a sophomore, 3 years left in her college career.....Saile is very good, agree to disagree.  I think Faraimo will be more than capable.  
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,392
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Florida has Lugo who should slide in nicely, UCLA is fine, OK has great pitchers coming out of the gills( Saile is very good and you are discounting her)


Regardless, Washington does not have hitting, that is my whole point.  


Lugo big question mark at best. OK has got 1 proven pitcher who I wouldn't classify as great just yet. Certainly a solid #1. As far as Saile...you gotta know she lost over 22 games against a mostly weak C-USA. And it's a gigantic leap to the OK circle. Sure, she was a very good Mid Major kid. And I believe she's the key to their bullpen success but let's see how she holds up first. Right now OK success begins & ends with Juarez until ANY #2 steps up. 

Washington goes as far as Alevelo's health goes. 
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 915
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Lugo is a sophomore, 3 years left in her college career.....Saile is very good, agree to disagree.  I think Faraimo will be more than capable.  


Saile is a very good pitcher, but she played in Conference USA. She played nearly no competition in her 2 years at FIU, yet she still had a high ERA against no name teams. She will develop more at OU, but once again her and Faraimo both need to play games to prove themselves, other than that you saying they will be good compares nothing to how they may actually play in game. Lugo had a 2.41 ERA last season (with Jen Rocha), this season they don't have her anymore.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 1,304
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Florida has Lugo who should slide in nicely, UCLA is fine, OK has great pitchers coming out of the gills( Saile is very good and you are discounting her)


Regardless, Washington does not have hitting, that is my whole point.  


Lugo is unproven at this point IMO, look at the teams she pitched against. Most the time she only pitched one inning.

Georgia State
Okland
Illinois State
The dumpster fire Maryland program 
Loyola Marymount
Gerogia
FIU
FSU
Florida A&M
Hampton University
Missouri

She only pitched more than 2 innings in 3 games the entire year

The only significant action she got was against Georgia and she gave up 5 runs and was yanked.


We shall see what Florida's pitching looks like soon after losing Rocha who was pretty important. 
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,453
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion


Saile is a very good pitcher, but she played in Conference USA. She played nearly no competition in her 2 years at FIU, yet she still had a high ERA against no name teams. She will develop more at OU, but once again her and Faraimo both need to play games to prove themselves, other than that you saying they will be good compares nothing to how they may actually play in game. Lugo had a 2.41 ERA last season (with Jen Rocha), this season they don't have her anymore.


Regarding Lugo, I thought it was ridiculous to say she has shown next to nothing her entire career when she is only a sophomore.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.