Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 4 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
Lauren

Registered:
Posts: 910
Reply with quote  #91 
I find it odd that people write off Washington if Avello is injured.

Plain pitched the vast majority of the post season and dominated.

If anything starting Avello in the final game of the series was a mistake. She wasn’t game fit and it showed.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,458
Reply with quote  #92 
Here is my pre-season top 25: [I know everyone is clamoring to know what I think [wink]]

1.  Oklahoma
2.  Washington
3.  UCLA
4.  Tennessee
5.  Georgia
6.  Louisiana
7.  Texas
8.  Florida
9.  Florida State
10.  Michigan
11.  Arizona State
12.  South Carolina
13.  Alabama
14.  Oregon
15.  Arizona
16.  Virginia Tech
17.  Duke
18.  Baylor
19.  TAMU
20.  Arkansas
21.  Notre Dame
22.  Auburn
23.  Ohio State
24.  Mississippi State
25.  South Florida
uga20

Registered:
Posts: 249
Reply with quote  #93 
Like your list but you have UGA twice 5th and 9th,and have Tennessee in front of them???? Probably have Florida in front of them to start the season...
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 7,658
Reply with quote  #94 
The Weekly's at #4 hehehe what could go wrong?
__________________
#BETOISAFURRY2020
SJ28

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #95 
Someone tell me who are the Sun Devil pitchers.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,458
Reply with quote  #96 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uga20
Like your list but you have UGA twice 5th and 9th,and have Tennessee in front of them???? Probably have Florida in front of them to start the season...


Thanks, fixed, no I think Florida continues to focus too much on bringing in power hitters and not athletes, also no solid number 2 pitcher yet(similar to FSU).  Lugo had a bunch of hype, maybe she steps up.
Nextyear

Registered:
Posts: 342
Reply with quote  #97 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
Here is my pre-season top 25: [I know everyone is clamoring to know what I think [wink]]

1.  Oklahoma
2.  Washington
3.  UCLA
4.  Tennessee
5.  Georgia
6.  Louisiana
7.  Texas
8.  Florida
9.  Florida State
10.  Michigan
11.  Arizona State
12.  South Carolina
13.  Alabama
14.  Oregon
15.  Arizona
16.  Virginia Tech
17.  Duke
18.  Baylor
19.  TAMU
20.  Arkansas
21.  Notre Dame
22.  Auburn
23.  Ohio State
24.  Mississippi State
25.  South Florida


No Texas?
Duke and VA Tech 16,17? Interesting
Not Sure Oregon and ASU will be that good.
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 9,975
Reply with quote  #98 
The salt from OU fans is classic. Have they won a title in this recent run without a transfer playing a major role?
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 2,118
Reply with quote  #99 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
The salt from OU fans is classic. Have they won a title in this recent run without a transfer playing a major role?


2015-16
Chester45

Registered:
Posts: 263
Reply with quote  #100 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
The salt from OU fans is classic. Have they won a title in this recent run without a transfer playing a major role?



What “salt” are you talking about?
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 9,975
Reply with quote  #101 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU


2015-16


My apologies - I thought Paige L was on that team.
SJ28

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #102 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextyear


No Texas?
Duke and VA Tech 16,17? Interesting
Not Sure Oregon and ASU will be that good.


Sky Meza against the good ones last year
No-hit Minnesota, beat JMU and Auburn
Lost to UCLA, Baylor and Ole Miss
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,458
Reply with quote  #103 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextyear


No Texas?
Duke and VA Tech 16,17? Interesting
Not Sure Oregon and ASU will be that good.


I put Texas at 7, which is optimistic but fun to discuss.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,458
Reply with quote  #104 
Duke is up and coming and have already lapped most of the ACC in terms of talent simply because it looks like Duke cares about softball unlike a majority of the ACC.  Look for Clemson to be good quickly as well.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,399
Reply with quote  #105 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
Duke is up and coming and have already lapped most of the ACC in terms of talent simply because it looks like Duke cares about softball unlike a majority of the ACC.  Look for Clemson to be good quickly as well.


As an ACC fan appreciate the Duke nod. Defensively they upgraded & a reasonable chance 4 Freshman will start. Will the Freshman hit...they're Freshman. Duke will probably have one of the strongest 3rd/SS combo. They get tested early with Washington, South Carolina, Notre Dame & Liberty in their first series in February. After last year, most teams won't consider them an easy win.


Gators2014

Registered:
Posts: 4,602
Reply with quote  #106 
Returning 2018 All-Americans by university, if this helps anyone with next year's Top 25 rankings. Transfers taken into account. 

Oklahoma: 1st - 3
Florida: 1st - 2, 2nd - 1
UCLA: 1st - 2
Washington: 1st - 1, 2nd - 1, 3rd - 1
James Madison*: 1st - 1, 3rd - 2
Michigan: 1st - 1, 3rd - 1
Arizona: 1st - 1
Tennessee: 1st - 1
Louisiana: 1st - 1

Texas: 2nd - 2
Ohio State: 2nd - 1
Alabama: 2nd - 1
Houston: 2nd - 1
LBSU: 2nd - 1
Northwestern: 2nd - 1

Drake: 3rd - 1
BYU: 3rd - 1
Texas Tech: 3rd - 1
Florida State**: 3rd - 1
Georgia: 3rd - 1
Kennesaw State: 3rd - 1
South Carolina: 3rd - 1

*Factored in Megan Good's return as a 2017 First Team AA. Did not factor in any previous AA honors before 2018 unless the athlete did not play in 2017. I don't believe that applies to anyone besides Good. 

**King somehow wasn't an All-American last year. Hanson was a 2nd teamer so you gotta figure King earns her way on this list this year. 




Gators2014

Registered:
Posts: 4,602
Reply with quote  #107 
Here's my shot.
  1. Washington
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Florida
  4. UCLA
  5. Florida State
  6. Tennessee
  7. James Madison
  8. Louisiana
  9. Texas
  10. Arizona
  11. Michigan
  12. South Carolina
  13. Arkansas
  14. Kentucky
  15. Auburn
  16. Alabama
  17. Georgia
  18. Baylor
  19. Minnesota
  20. LSU
  21. Ohio State
  22. Miss State
  23. South Florida
  24. Cal
  25. Oregon
Next 5 in: Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Northwestern, Drake, Fullerton
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,652
Reply with quote  #108 
Preseason top 25L(final seeding would be different guesses):

1) UCLA
2) WA
3) OK
4) FL
5) FSU
6) Louisiana
7) TN
8) TX
9) SC
10)AZ
11)GA
12)AR
13)LSU
14)JMU
15)MI
16)Auburn
17)AL
18)OR
19)KY
20)MN
21)Baylor
22)Mississippi st
23)CAL
24)ASU
25)OK ST
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,652
Reply with quote  #109 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
I find it odd that people write off Washington if Avello is injured.

Plain pitched the vast majority of the post season and dominated.

If anything starting Avello in the final game of the series was a mistake. She wasn’t game fit and it showed.


Plain is a very good pitcher. She would be hard pressed to be as successful as shes going to need to be with the offense they have, to have the type of success they want in even pac 12 play. There is just too much opportunity to see pitches. She had an amazing run in the post season but Alvelo was able to take some of the pressure off.

I dont disagree with starting alvelo in that 2nd FSU game. I could tell the exact moment that was going to go south though. When Alvelo had 2 outs and had shellnutt struck out on a rise ball the ump called a ball. Next pitch was the first homer on another rise. Then they started going away from the rise when they should have just brought plain in. Not great pitcher/pitch management.
Lauren

Registered:
Posts: 910
Reply with quote  #110 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


Plain is a very good pitcher. She would be hard pressed to be as successful as shes going to need to be with the offense they have, to have the type of success they want in even pac 12 play. There is just too much opportunity to see pitches. She had an amazing run in the post season but Alvelo was able to take some of the pressure off.

I dont disagree with starting alvelo in that 2nd FSU game. I could tell the exact moment that was going to go south though. When Alvelo had 2 outs and had shellnutt struck out on a rise ball the ump called a ball. Next pitch was the first homer on another rise. Then they started going away from the rise when they should have just brought plain in. Not great pitcher/pitch management.


Eh we’ll see. I’m hoping for the best.

And yeah that was the very clear game changer. You could see how rattled she was.

But Tarr afterwards was asked why she started her and her response was ‘well she’s my ace’ That seemed to be it.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,399
Reply with quote  #111 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren


Eh we’ll see. I’m hoping for the best.

And yeah that was the very clear game changer. You could see how rattled she was.

But Tarr afterwards was asked why she started her and her response was ‘well she’s my ace’ That seemed to be it.


And that should be enough. Good coaches with consistent winning records put their best players on the field who give them the best chance to win. All that "feel" crap is noise. All that "I'm saving my ace for the big game" crap is noise. Sometimes it works but mostly it just gets you eliminated or a loss. Your best pitcher can't put runs on the board late in the game when you're losing 2-1...after you started your #2.

If Alvelo isn't 100% this season, Plain isn't good enough to carry the team. Will be interesting to see how she responds to that fantastic Freshman season. 
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,461
Reply with quote  #112 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
The salt from OU fans is classic. Have they won a title in this recent run without a transfer playing a major role?


Mama says, "Salt is as salt does."
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,238
Reply with quote  #113 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


And that should be enough. Good coaches with consistent winning records put their best players on the field who give them the best chance to win. All that "feel" crap is noise. All that "I'm saving my ace for the big game" crap is noise. Sometimes it works but mostly it just gets you eliminated or a loss. Your best pitcher can't put runs on the board late in the game when you're losing 2-1...after you started your #2.

If Alvelo isn't 100% this season, Plain isn't good enough to carry the team. Will be interesting to see how she responds to that fantastic Freshman season. 


If a pitcher isn't game shape after 160 innings. They better have a great off season conditioning program. 
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 925
Reply with quote  #114 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
Here is my pre-season top 25: [I know everyone is clamoring to know what I think [wink]]

1.  Oklahoma
2.  Washington
3.  UCLA
4.  Tennessee
5.  Georgia
6.  Louisiana
7.  Texas
8.  Florida
9.  Florida State
10.  Michigan
11.  Arizona State
12.  South Carolina
13.  Alabama
14.  Oregon
15.  Arizona
16.  Virginia Tech
17.  Duke
18.  Baylor
19.  TAMU
20.  Arkansas
21.  Notre Dame
22.  Auburn
23.  Ohio State
24.  Mississippi State
25.  South Florida


Why do you have Arkansas so low and Oregon so high?
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 1,308
Reply with quote  #115 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
Here is my pre-season top 25: [I know everyone is clamoring to know what I think [wink]]

1.  Oklahoma
2.  Washington
3.  UCLA
4.  Tennessee
5.  Georgia
6.  Louisiana
7.  Texas
8.  Florida
9.  Florida State
10.  Michigan
11.  Arizona State
12.  South Carolina
13.  Alabama
14.  Oregon
15.  Arizona
16.  Virginia Tech
17.  Duke
18.  Baylor
19.  TAMU
20.  Arkansas
21.  Notre Dame
22.  Auburn
23.  Ohio State
24.  Mississippi State
25.  South Florida


lol 

Is this for real?
UT6

Registered:
Posts: 235
Reply with quote  #116 
Here is the AVERAGE top 10, based off of 9 different top 10s that I've seen on this forum as well as another that I follow (not including my own thoughts).

The teams that I have listed outside the top 10 are teams that had a mention in someone's top 10 but did not finish in the average top 10. (The # in parenthesis is the average placing.)

1. Oklahoma (1.89)
2. UCLA (2.11)
3. Washington (2.56)
4. Florida (4.00)
5. Florida State (5.56)
6. Texas (6.22)
7. Georgia (6.56)
8. Tennessee (7.78) 
9. Kentucky (8.11)
10. Louisiana (8.33)
----------
11. South Carolina (8.56)
12. Oregon (8.98)
13. Arizona (9.48)
14. James Madison (9.48)
15. Arkansas (11.00)

Keep in mind, some of these were posted before the recent craziness had gone down, so this is not taking some updated rankings into account.

__________________
Swing hard in case you hit it
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,652
Reply with quote  #117 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


And that should be enough. Good coaches with consistent winning records put their best players on the field who give them the best chance to win. All that "feel" crap is noise. All that "I'm saving my ace for the big game" crap is noise. Sometimes it works but mostly it just gets you eliminated or a loss. Your best pitcher can't put runs on the board late in the game when you're losing 2-1...after you started your #2.

If Alvelo isn't 100% this season, Plain isn't good enough to carry the team. Will be interesting to see how she responds to that fantastic Freshman season. 


That "#2" you're talking about had a .755 era in 46.1 ip in the post season including a .656 era in 21.1 ip in the WCWS. Your #1 was still suffering from an injury that limited the pitches she could throw. Of course Plain had just pitched an emotional 7 inning game in 90 degree weather the day before. So I can see an argument either way. What i cant see is leaving in your clearly struggling #1 (and limiting her pitches even further) when you have someone with those numbers on the bench. Should have been a much quicker hook.

Plain is clearly good enough to carry the team for stretches. She did in the post season. It's just really tough for anyone to carry a team across a whole season in a conference like the pac, especially with the 3 game series format. And then there is the postseason and the wcws. It's really difficult without being able to share the load. Just ask Garcia and Alvelo (in 2017).

Plain is a very steady, hardworking player, with great movement and a nice array of pitches. I think shes going to have another really good season, just as I thought last year (when many people were making fun of her recruitment and talking about how alvelo was going to have to pitch 250 innings again).
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,458
Reply with quote  #118 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan04


lol 

Is this for real?


Are you dumb?
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,458
Reply with quote  #119 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion


Why do you have Arkansas so low and Oregon so high?


It were I think teams are at preseason, not were I think they end up.  Also, I know next nothing about Arkansas, but the SEC as a whole is in decline.
Lauren

Registered:
Posts: 910
Reply with quote  #120 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585


That "#2" you're talking about had a .755 era in 46.1 ip in the post season including a .656 era in 21.1 ip in the WCWS. Your #1 was still suffering from an injury that limited the pitches she could throw. Of course Plain had just pitched an emotional 7 inning game in 90 degree weather the day before. So I can see an argument either way. What i cant see is leaving in your clearly struggling #1 (and limiting her pitches even further) when you have someone with those numbers on the bench. Should have been a much quicker hook.

Plain is clearly good enough to carry the team for stretches. She did in the post season. It's just really tough for anyone to carry a team across a whole season in a conference like the pac, especially with the 3 game series format. And then there is the postseason and the wcws. It's really difficult without being able to share the load. Just ask Garcia and Alvelo (in 2017).

Plain is a very steady, hardworking player, with great movement and a nice array of pitches. I think shes going to have another really good season, just as I thought last year (when many people were making fun of her recruitment and talking about how alvelo was going to have to pitch 250 innings again).


Just from the games in NSW she dominated against the batters for NSW. Which includes a lot of high class international batters. Talking to friends in the team they were stunned at how good she was. (They also thought Avello was top notch) She has improved dramatically in Washington and I still am baffled why we didn’t take her to world champs.

I think Avello and Plain complement each other very, very well and they’re easily the best pitching double in the nation. If they both remain healthy they’ll be hard to beat.

I just find it odd that people are claiming Plain can’t carry the team by herself when she did exactly that post season.

T least this year I finally paid for the sports package so I can watch most of the season
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.