Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 9      1   2   3   4   Next   »
southpaw

Registered:
Posts: 153
Reply with quote  #1 
Taking a run at an early Top 25:


1) Oklahoma (Big XII - 1)
2) UCLA (Pac 12 - 1)
3) Washington (Pac 12 - 2)
4) Florida (SEC - 1)
5) Georgia (SEC - 2)
6) Kentucky (SEC - 3)
7) Florida State (ACC - 1)
8) South Carolina (SEC - 4)
9) Arizona (Pac 12 - 3)
10) Arkansas (SEC - 5)
11) Oregon (Pac 12 - 4)
12) Texas (Big XII - 2)
13) Tennessee (SEC - 6)
14) Alabama (SEC - 7)
15) Louisiana (Sun Belt - 1)
16) LSU (SEC - 8)
17) James Madison (Colonial - 1)
18) Michigan (Big 10 - 1)
19) Oklahoma State (Big XII - 3)
20) Baylor (Big XII - 4)
21) Auburn (SEC - 9)
22) Ohio State (Big 10 - 2)
23) Notre Dame (ACC - 2)
24) Minnesota (Big 10 - 3)
25) Arizona State (Pac 12 - 5)

Far from a perfect list, just wanted to get a little debate started. Put the projected conference finishing spot in () after each teams rankings.
Nextyear

Registered:
Posts: 305
Reply with quote  #2 
It’s not bad.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #3 
I would have Washington at 1, OU at 2, and UCLA 3.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,843
Reply with quote  #4 
UCLA no. 1 by a large margin
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,235
Reply with quote  #5 
Megan Good @ 17 seems a bit premature.
UT6

Registered:
Posts: 56
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
Megan Good @ 17 seems a bit premature.

They have Arizona, Michigan, Arizona St, Oregon early. We will see if she's still got it. If she is 1-hitting elite teams still, the JMU offense can put up some runs to support her.

__________________
Swing hard in case you hit it
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,235
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT6

They have Arizona, Michigan, Arizona St, Oregon early. We will see if she's still got it. If she is 1-hitting elite teams still, the JMU offense can put up some runs to support her.


I have zero insight into how her rehab went. I assume she's on track to be ready for Spring. That year off, I'm sure the JMU faithful are counting on her to come out and throw with a chip on her shoulder. She's the anomaly in that she can actually put runs on the board with her bat. The big question is can the rest of the team support her pitching? That said, if she can keep her ERA around 1, and the team can average 3 runs a game, that should make up for the dropoff to their #2. Either Breusch or Alexander can handle their weak Conference slate. Alexander had a nice season in 2018. No significant wins though. She gave up a mind blowing 29 HR last year and hit way too many batters. She is still a thrower, which is good enough for the CAA. Her strength is her bat which they will need badly this year. Good should be run away POY in the CAA.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
UCLA no. 1 by a large margin


Disagree. Until somebody can pitch behind Garcia I can’t see them as the #1 team
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,843
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91


Disagree. Until somebody can pitch behind Garcia I can’t see them as the #1 team
no one is close
southpaw

Registered:
Posts: 153
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
no one is close


That must be incredibly fulfilling for a fan base that hasn't won a National Championship in 9 years and has only won 2 National Championships in the last 15 seasons.

Glad to know that they are a shoe in for that 2nd natty in last 10 seasons. Glad to know that they won't underachieve with the most talented roster in college softball. 
Nfwego

Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #11 
Southpaw, come on. Only 10 different teams have even won it in the past 20 years! And only 15 different teams have played for the ‘ship in that time! Know some history before you come on here with that last nine years business. I am NOT a UCLA fan at all but get tired of people acting like any and all teams can win the whole thing. It’s a select group who’ve won it and all the coaches and athletes deserve more respect than you give them.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,843
Reply with quote  #12 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfwego
Southpaw, come on. Only 10 different teams have even won it in the past 20 years! And only 15 different teams have played for the ‘ship in that time! Know some history before you come on here with that last nine years business. I am NOT a UCLA fan at all but get tired of people acting like any and all teams can win the whole thing. It’s a select group who’ve won it and all the coaches and athletes deserve more respect than you give them.
All that.... and I am NO UCLA fan.

Nfwego

Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #13 
Yep. Just respect the game. Hate people coming on here talking about how easy it is to win a WCWS.
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 1,042
Reply with quote  #14 
I think it's pretty hard to argue that ucla has generally performed to their talent level in the last several years. I think Faraimo is going to be a stud but it wouldnt surprise me if she had some growing pains this year. Are she and Azevedo going to be able to absorb enough innings to keep Garcia healthy and rested? I think there is some doubt.

WA should have the best 1-2 pitching duo in the country if Alvelo stays healthy. They lost critical offense from last year but they also get the 2017 pac rbi leader back along with some top recruits and some of the contributors from last year with a year of experience under their belts. I think their lineup is going to be better than a lot of people think.

Those two teams are going to be close, although I do have ucla winning the pac.

OK should also be in that conversation as well with the addition of Juarez. They still wont have an equivalent duo to alvelo and plain but their staff should be very deep, and their offense potent.

Then I think there is a bit of a drop.

Overall, I think there may be a few more moves that upset the ranks considerably.

outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,235
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585
I think it's pretty hard to argue that ucla has generally performed to their talent level in the last several years. I think Faraimo is going to be a stud but it wouldnt surprise me if she had some growing pains this year. Are she and Azevedo going to be able to absorb enough innings to keep Garcia healthy and rested? I think there is some doubt.

WA should have the best 1-2 pitching duo in the country if Alvelo stays healthy. They lost critical offense from last year but they also get the 2017 pac rbi leader back along with some top recruits and some of the contributors from last year with a year of experience under their belts. I think their lineup is going to be better than a lot of people think.

Those two teams are going to be close, although I do have ucla winning the pac.

OK should also be in that conversation as well with the addition of Juarez. They still wont have an equivalent duo to alvelo and plain but their staff should be very deep, and their offense potent.

Then I think there is a bit of a drop.

Overall, I think there may be a few more moves that upset the ranks considerably.



+1

Faraimo has the best chance to live up to the Freshman hype. I just think she'll scale up the challenge quicker than most though.
southpaw

Registered:
Posts: 153
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfwego
Yep. Just respect the game. Hate people coming on here talking about how easy it is to win a WCWS.


I am sorry that you interpreted that as me saying that it is easy to win a WCWS, it is far from that and getting harder each year.

However I do take exception to the statement that it is UCLA and no one else is even close. In essence saying that UCLA is #1 and the next best team is really #10 or more. There is no question UCLA is loaded this year, as they are most seasons. They have their way against almost anyone every year for recruits, even still, so that is nothing new. My statement was just refuting the thought that UCLA was going to just have their way with everyone this year, which was essentially the first statement made.
Oger

Registered:
Posts: 228
Reply with quote  #17 
Before the desertion in Oregon I had UCLA as the clear favorite to win the PAC with Washington not far behind, even more so now. I think any team that is considered a favorite to win that conference has to be considered a favorite for the national title.
Midwest

Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger
Before the desertion in Oregon I had UCLA as the clear favorite to win the PAC with Washington not far behind, even more so now. I think any team that is considered a favorite to win that conference has to be considered a favorite for the national title.


Michigan?
or any B1G?

__________________
Just a guy that likes softball.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,134
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest


Michigan?
or any B1G?


Probably not
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 241
Reply with quote  #20 
You can drop Minnesota from the list.  I'd put OK State above Texas, initially anyway, but nice overall rankings.  
Nfwego

Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #21 
Southpaw, cool! I agree. These days I don’t think it’s any team’s easy route to win. Too much parity and now, there will be more movement between teams until something is fixed in this portal thing.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,843
Reply with quote  #22 
http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1306266043&postcount=18&forum=10114

Why is that text bolded in any relation to the ensuing response....lost my decoder ring
Midwest

Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1306266043&postcount=18&forum=10114

Why is that text bolded in any relation to the ensuing response....lost my decoder ring


Sorry, I misread the post and did not edit. I read it as any team that wins their conference not wins that conference. My Bad.

__________________
Just a guy that likes softball.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,843
Reply with quote  #24 
Gotcha. I figured that might be it
Oger

Registered:
Posts: 228
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest


Sorry, I misread the post and did not edit. I read it as any team that wins their conference not wins that conference. My Bad.

A lot of luck comes into play and being hot at the right time wins the title in my opinion. Very rarely does a team win the title just from being overwhelmingly dominant like the 2013 OU team.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #26 
I just don’t think Garcia gets a Natty on her own shoulders with other teams with a deeper pitching rotation.
Melissa12177

Registered:
Posts: 50
Reply with quote  #27 
👆🏼Agree
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,769
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
UCLA no. 1 by a large margin


You're probably right, since the OP called it an "early" Top 25.

Had he been predicting the final Top 25, southpaw might become known instead as "The Left-Handed Profit." [biggrin]
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,843
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
I just don’t think Garcia gets a Natty on her own shoulders with other teams with a deeper pitching rotation.
They'll be plenty deep
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,843
Reply with quote  #30 
Sadly, I believe they are KIP-proof this year
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.