Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 609
Reply with quote  #31 
<< there are a lot of good teams and coaches and it could have easily gone a different way. >> (cjs4585)

Do you think this is something new (that there are a lot of good teams - and it could have easily gone a different way)..????

It could almost always... have easily gone a different way.

Yet some how... 
probably by just pure dumb luck (in your view)... 
Oklahoma has won the title three times in the last five seasons... 
and finished in the top two spots in four of the last six seasons.

Holy f-ing crap... they sure are one lucky program.


HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 609
Reply with quote  #32 
<< Several teams in this year's WCWS were good enough to have gone home with the title.  But the fact that they didn't has nothing to do with the umps or home-field advantage, and everything to do with the performance of the team that did take home the trophy. >> (scrybe)

The last portion of your post really hammers the... Nail On the HEAD.

Nicely said.

========================

I'd only make a slight argument against your opening sentence... 
in that - in my view (from watching the games played at the WCWS)... 
the two teams that made the finals did seem to rise to the occasion 
better than the other teams there. 

From my viewpoint - the best two teams met for the title... 
and the best team won.
cjs4585

Registered:
Posts: 150
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


Reading comprehension?  LOL.  No one has stated or even implied that OU is "so superior" to the other WCWS teams.  The following is a quote from the post (my post) that you seemed to find objectionable:

"Several teams in this year's WCWS were good enough to have gone home with the title."

The point of my post was, of course, completely lost on you and several other uber-partisan posters on this forum. My point was that you do your teams and yourselves a disservice when you refuse to properly credit the team that won the title and needed no boost from fans or officials to do so.

Footnote: Oklahoma State, the team that defeated UF in the Gainseville Regional, has lost 16 straight games to OU and has not defeated the Sooners since 2011 (OU and OSU normally play each other three times during the regular season).  That win over UF was huge for OSU, but it in no way diminishes what the Gators accomplished this season.  The same can be said for OU's loss to NDSU in the Norman Regional.  The thing that offends me is the narrative that losing the game to NDSU and needing a late rally to beat Tulsa means OU's national title was a product of luck.


I'm fairly sure I'm wasting my time but when someone says "perhaps the wcws qualifiers should suck it up and recruit great players and coach them up like gasso does" (your post above) that implies that other programs don't recruit great players and coach them up. This is what i find objectionable and flat out stupid. Other teams have great coaches and great players. Great enough to win. You said so yourself in the latter post.

I never said that OU didn't deserve the win. I'm not against OU and in fact wanted to see them beat UF because of the Barnhill thing. I said they did deserved to win twice in my previous comment. They played exceptionally well when they needed to (might be the 4th time I've said that). They also struggled in their regional, got some lucky breaks as most teams tend to on their title runs, and had incredible crowd support due to the venue. These are just facts, and if you can't see they are part of the narrative of OU'S win, along with the clutch plays, gutsy pitching and skillful coaching, then we know who the "uber-partisan" poster is, don't we.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4585
I'm fairly sure I'm wasting my time but when someone says "perhaps the wcws qualifiers should suck it up and recruit great players and coach them up like gasso does" (your post above) that implies that other programs don't recruit great players and coach them up. This is what i find objectionable and flat out stupid. Other teams have great coaches and great players. Great enough to win. You said so yourself in the latter post. I never said that OU didn't deserve the win. I'm not against OU and in fact wanted to see them beat UF because of the Barnhill thing. I said they did deserved to win twice in my previous comment. They played exceptionally well when they needed to (might be the 4th time I've said that). They also struggled in their regional, got some lucky breaks as most teams tend to on their title runs, and had incredible crowd support due to the venue. These are just facts, and if you can't see they are part of the narrative of OU'S win, along with the clutch plays, gutsy pitching and skillful coaching, then we know who the "uber-partisan" poster is, don't we.


You're certainly right about one thing: you will be wasting your time if you continue to argue that OU's title run was aided by luck, crowd support and/or poor officiating.

Have you no idea what it means to comment metaphorically?  Obviously not, since you took as literal my comment about needing a great coach and great players to beat OU. That was a tongue-in-cheek response to you (and others) who continue to imply that the Sooners would have likely not claimed the trophy had they not been lucky and had the umps not blown some calls.  Some even argue that the Sooners' failure to run-rule their opponents proves they were not worthy to claim the title. And you make that argument – apparently with a straight face – while at the same time proclaiming that OU's opponents were every bit their equal.

I find your posts objectionable too, sir, but, unlike you, I won't call you or anyone else "stupid" simply because I disagree with you.

And with that, I'm out of this discussion. Perhaps if I and one or two other posters step aside, you and your compatriots can figure out a way to actually change the outcome of the WCWS and award the trophy to one of those seven other deserving teams.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,443
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


You're certainly right about one thing: you will be wasting your time if you continue to argue that OU's title run was aided by luck, crowd support and/or poor officiating.

It was incontrovertibly aided by that. Inarguable among the sane

Most champions DO get some help in the midst of doing most of the heavy lifting themselves

I mean, NOT that Oklahoma beast of 2013... but most champions do.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
It was incontrovertibly aided by that. Inarguable among the sane

Most champions DO get some help in the midst of doing most of the heavy lifting themselves

I mean, NOT that Oklahoma beast of 2013... but most champions do.


Wow!  Six syllables.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #37 
Jesus...more my dad is bigger than your dad bullsh*t.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
Jesus...more my d*** is bigger than your d*** bullsh*t.


FIFY
Soonereagle

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #39 
The 2013 OU team is considered one of the greatest of all time. They run ruled over half the teams they played. There was some questionable calls this time but I never got the feeling OU was being called for. The strike zones were very tight for the most part but it was for all teams. There was some questionable calls at the plate but only 1 was in an OU game where Aviu juked the catcher and was called safe. The other call was for LSU  where the runner was safe because the catcher was impeding her. Most think that call was wrong but the rule is a little vague. 

The 2 best teams were in the finals. To me that was fairly obvious. They were evenly matched and the games were great games which is what you want. 

But you can't change venu's because the local team is good. OU football played LSU for a national championship in the sugar bowl and Florida for a national championship in the orange bowl. So under this theory the bowls would have been moved. I've heard several times there just isn't a place as good to play it as HOF stadium. Its centrally located also so besides the fact that OU is good. All the other teams are going to a central location. They put on a good show and I don't see it moving any time soon.


3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,443
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonereagle
The 2013 OU team is considered one of the greatest of all time. They run ruled over half the teams they played. There was some questionable calls this time but I never got the feeling OU was being called for. The strike zones were very tight for the most part but it was for all teams. There was some questionable calls at the plate but only 1 was in an OU game where Aviu juked the catcher
only ONE was at an OU game... you were at work on sunday, Rev?
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
only ONE was at an OU game... you were at work on sunday, Rev?


In case you don't already know it, no one on this board considers you a serious poster.  You are good for comic relief, however.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,100
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe


In case you don't already know it, no one on this board considers you a serious poster.  You are good for comic relief, however.


Look at Mr. 23-days-old defining who is and who isn't a "serious" poster.  Gotta love it.
rudymartinez

Registered:
Posts: 439
Reply with quote  #43 
It doesn't take long for a baby to realize where momma's milk is coming from. Scrybaby might just be a savant.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudymartinez
It doesn't take long for a baby to realize where momma's milk is coming from. Scrybaby might just be a savant.


Scrybaby![biggrin]
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudymartinez
It doesn't take long for a baby to realize where momma's milk is coming from. Scrybaby might just be a savant.


"Scrybaby!"  LOL; that's a good one.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #46 
Y'all be kind. I just turned 23 days old today. [bawl]
CowboyJOX

Registered:
Posts: 99
Reply with quote  #47 
If anything, the bigger advantage would be having OU training/recovery facilities so close by in case an athlete needs some kind of specialized treatment postgame or on an off day. Likely much more expansive than whatever the other teams are able to bring on the road. Obviously I'm sure OU would let other teams use their facilities in an emergency situation though.

Saying the fans make that big of a difference is just an excuse.
Soonereagle

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
only ONE was at an OU game... you were at work on sunday, Rev?


No your right. It is all just a big conspiracy for OU to win it. Their not in the SEC or PAC 12 so obviously there not good enough to win so had to create a big conspiracy of home field advantage and payed umps. Of course the easiest explanation is your just a poor loser with excuses. Hmmm which one of those seems more likely?
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #49 
And OU had another advantage that no one has mentioned yet:

The Sooners were the only team that got to sleep within 30 miles of their own beds.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 609
Reply with quote  #50 
<< If anything, the bigger advantage would be having OU training/recovery facilities so close by in case an athlete needs some kind of specialized treatment postgame or on an off day. Likely much more expansive than whatever the other teams are able to bring on the road. Obviously I'm sure OU would let other teams use their facilities in an emergency situation though. >> (CowboyJOX)

<< And OU had another advantage that no one has mentioned yet:
The Sooners were the only team that got to sleep within 30 miles of their own beds. >> (scrybe)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You both make reasonable points about some advantages Oklahoma has over other teams in the NCAA.

But the two biggest advantages that Oklahoma has over every other softball program in the country are... 

Patty Gasso

and Melyssa Lombardi.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,100
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
<< If anything, the bigger advantage would be having OU training/recovery facilities so close by in case an athlete needs some kind of specialized treatment postgame or on an off day. Likely much more expansive than whatever the other teams are able to bring on the road. Obviously I'm sure OU would let other teams use their facilities in an emergency situation though. >> (CowboyJOX)

<< And OU had another advantage that no one has mentioned yet:
The Sooners were the only team that got to sleep within 30 miles of their own beds. >> (scrybe)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You both make reasonable points about some advantages Oklahoma has over other teams in the NCAA.

But the two biggest advantages that Oklahoma has over every other except Florida softball program in the country are... 

Patty Gasso

and Melyssa Lombardi.


I'd put Walton and Rocha toe-to-toe with them.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
<< If anything, the bigger advantage would be having OU training/recovery facilities so close by in case an athlete needs some kind of specialized treatment postgame or on an off day. Likely much more expansive than whatever the other teams are able to bring on the road. Obviously I'm sure OU would let other teams use their facilities in an emergency situation though. >> (CowboyJOX)

<< And OU had another advantage that no one has mentioned yet:
The Sooners were the only team that got to sleep within 30 miles of their own beds. >> (scrybe)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You both make reasonable points about some advantages Oklahoma has over other teams in the NCAA.

But the two biggest advantages that Oklahoma has over every other softball program in the country are... 

Patty Gasso

and Melyssa Lombardi.


HLA, I hope you realize I was being sarcastic with my crack about the Sooners getting to sleep within 30 miles of their own beds.  It was a jab at the ridiculous arguments about homefield advantage, crowd noise, paid-off umps, yada, yada, yada being responsible for OU winning the WCWS.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


I'd put Walton and Rocha toe-to-toe with them.


And why wouldn't you?

Oh, wait!
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 609
Reply with quote  #54 
<< HLA, I hope you realize I was being sarcastic with my crack about the Sooners getting to sleep within 30 miles of their own beds.  It was a jab at the ridiculous arguments about homefield advantage, crowd noise, paid-off umps, yada, yada, yada being responsible for OU winning the WCWS. >> (scrybe)

While many of the posts have raised highly questionable arguments... 
I would say that these particular factors - are legitimate ones that do favor Oklahoma (to some degree):

1. The much greater percentage of fans rooting for Oklahoma in the stands (along with the enthusiasm - and noise they bring to the park).
2. The home OU training/recovery facilities are a very nice thing to have at your disposal.
3. The fact that they do get to sleep in the beds they are used to (and eat at the same places they normally do, etc.) is a plus.

Now I certainly would not say that these factors are responsible for Oklahoma winning any of their four WCWS titles... 
but they are all factors that are helpful - to some minor degree. 

I would say that having Patty Gasso and Melyssa Lombardi working with their players throughout the year... 
is probably a thousand times more important of a factor - than all the "home field advantages" anyone can come up with. 
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 609
Reply with quote  #55 
<< I'd put Walton and Rocha toe-to-toe with them. >> (jayrot)

I would put Walton/Rocha a good step behind them.
Close... but still behind them.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
<< HLA, I hope you realize I was being sarcastic with my crack about the Sooners getting to sleep within 30 miles of their own beds.  It was a jab at the ridiculous arguments about homefield advantage, crowd noise, paid-off umps, yada, yada, yada being responsible for OU winning the WCWS. >> (scrybe)

While many of the posts have raised highly questionable arguments... 
I would say that these particular factors - are legitimate ones that do favor Oklahoma (to some degree):

1. The much greater percentage of fans rooting for Oklahoma in the stands (along with the enthusiasm - and noise they bring to the park).
2. The home OU training/recovery facilities are a very nice thing to have at your disposal.
3. The fact that they do get to sleep in the beds they are used to (and eat at the same places they normally do, etc.) is a plus.

Now I certainly would not say that these factors are responsible for Oklahoma winning any of their four WCWS titles... 
but they are all factors that are helpful - to some minor degree. 

I would say that having Patty Gasso and Melyssa Lombardi working with their players throughout the year... 
is probably a thousand times more important of a factor - than all the "home field advantages" anyone can come up with. 


The point is: the Sooners, like all the other teams at the WCWS, did not get to sleep in their own beds.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 609
Reply with quote  #57 
<< The point is: the Sooners, like all the other teams at the WCWS, did not get to sleep in their own beds. >> (scrybe)

Hmmmmmmmmmm... 
I was assuming that they did get to sleep in the beds that they usually sleep in.

Are they NOT allowed to sleep in the beds that they usually use (is there a rule against it)??


scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
<< The point is: the Sooners, like all the other teams at the WCWS, did not get to sleep in their own beds. >> (scrybe)

Hmmmmmmmmmm... 
I was assuming that they did get to sleep in the beds that they usually sleep in.

Are they NOT allowed to sleep in the beds that they usually use (is there a rule against it)??




I don't believe the Sooners commute from Norman to OKC and back during the WCWS.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 609
Reply with quote  #59 
<< I don't believe the Sooners commute from Norman to OKC and back during the WCWS. >> (scrybe)

I just assumed that they did commute.
It would seem weird to me if they did not travel that short distance - to gain the small advantages mentioned.
LandLottery

Registered:
Posts: 108
Reply with quote  #60 
I think that the NCAA has some housing requirements during the CWS, local hotels, etc. 

The only home field advantage that Oklahoma might have is the lack of an aura.  For some teams, they have heard of OKC all of their softball lives.  When they finally get there, I wonder if they remember to pay attention to detail, or are they a bit too excited to be in OKC.  For Oklahoma players, being around OKC is old stuff.  It might be easier to get focus on the game, which might last for an inning or two of the first game.

Typically, if you are mentally engaged in the game, you really don't pay attention to anything in the stadium until the game is over.  It is total concentration.  If you aren't totally focused on the game, you might soon be one of the spectators.  Oklahoma isn't up in OKC enough to have any special knowledge of ricochets off the right field wall or dead spots in left center.  It changes, and it isn't a home field.  Unless you remember it from last year, you have no knowledge of specifics.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.