Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 9 of 10     «   Prev   6   7   8   9   10   Next
LoCard

Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #241 
Excuse me...  I'm new to this thread and have a question:

Why are so few coaches in D-1 softball's top 100 to 150 teams losing their jobs?  There seems to be way more movement in other college sports.  Or, has that "musical chairs" process just not started yet?
Pudge

Registered:
Posts: 4,197
Reply with quote  #242 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCard
Excuse me...  I'm new to this thread and have a question:

Why are so few coaches in D-1 softball's top 100 to 150 teams losing their jobs?  There seems to be way more movement in other college sports.  Or, has that "musical chairs" process just not started yet?
Because being in the 100-150 doesn't mean you are doing a poor job.

__________________
Softball is my passion!
LoCard

Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #243 
Sorry, I wasn't clear...

I didn't mean the coaches of #s 100, 101, 102....150.  

I meant that the top 100, or even top 150 don't seem to have fired many coaches.  Why is that?
Pirateman

Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #244 
Is it time yet to resurrect this topic? 
bighitter

Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #245 
Not yet Meyers players are still "high" on him!
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,403
Reply with quote  #246 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateman
Is it time yet to resurrect this topic? 


HOERNER, HOERNER, HOERNER, HOERNER, HOERNER, HOERNER, HOERNER.

I hate wishing someone would lose their job, but I just want the program back in the RPI 64 discussion.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 269
Reply with quote  #247 
Scott Thomas rumblings @ Va Tech...normal rumor & inuendo.

Now be a good time for Mickey Dean to look into that soon to be open Auburn job. Imagine the damage that he could do in the SEC.
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #248 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
Scott Thomas rumblings @ Va Tech...normal rumor & inuendo.

Now be a good time for Mickey Dean to look into that soon to be open Auburn job. Imagine the damage that he could do in the SEC.


Dean not going anywhere. He is close to his family where he is and he can win every year.
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 215
Reply with quote  #249 
The Iowa coach HAS to be on the hot seat.  They have been awful for years and they cant keep in state talent.  I was watching the Minnesota v. Wisconsin games yesterday.  Minnesota's freshman phenom Kendyl Lindaman is from Iowa.  Wisconsin's best pitcher, also a freshman (travel ball teammate of Lindaman), is from Iowa.  Minnesota's number 2 pitcher, Amber Fiser, also a freshman, and also from Iowa.  I dont see how the coach can keep her job.

2014   16-30-1
2015   19-40
2016   13-39
2017   15-24 (swept by both GA Tech and VA Tech)
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 269
Reply with quote  #250 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sballwatcher
Dean not going anywhere. He is close to his family where he is and he can win every year.


You can't win without a stud pitcher, and she's gone after next year. He's got nobody on the staff now who is reliable enough to step into her role. With his current #2 freshman plus his 2017 & 2018 commits, it will be pitch by committee on a great day. When Good leaves, the winning days he's been used to will be tough to match. While he is by far one of the best coaches in the country, not sure he will be able to convince the next stud/shutdown type pitcher to come to Harrisonburg. 

He wants a National Championship. He's got a direct line to Bill Conroy/Beverly Bandits. He pretty much gets any Bandit kid EXCEPT their best pitchers. They all go Power 5. Now why is that? IMO, that's why he will eventually leave...he needs a bigger program, environment & better facilities. 

I'm a huge fan of his & hope he sticks around. Great for Va. He gets more out of kids you never heard of but I just think his best shot was last year. And he goes into NCAAs with basically 1 pitcher. Gonna be tough.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 8,436
Reply with quote  #251 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sballwatcher
Dean not going anywhere. He is close to his family where he is and he can win every year.
He can't win there like he could at Auburn
OleumCamino

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #252 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp
The Iowa coach HAS to be on the hot seat.  They have been awful for years and they cant keep in state talent.  I was watching the Minnesota v. Wisconsin games yesterday.  Minnesota's freshman phenom Kendyl Lindaman is from Iowa.  Wisconsin's best pitcher, also a freshman (travel ball teammate of Lindaman), is from Iowa.  Minnesota's number 2 pitcher, Amber Fiser, also a freshman, and also from Iowa.  I dont see how the coach can keep her job.

2014   16-30-1
2015   19-40
2016   13-39
2017   15-24 (swept by both GA Tech and VA Tech)


You have to look beyond the softball program. Iowa athletic department in the middle of the first of two large scale lawsuits citing gender discrimination. I would be shocked if they could justify firing a female coach right now. Whether it's perceived as fine or not fine, there is a history of female coaches being treated differently enough to the point there is this lawsuit. Iowa should lose her job but I think she will keep it due to circumstances.
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 215
Reply with quote  #253 
I would think with that record even Gloria Allred would think the firing was justified.  But clearly I don't know anything about the situation.  
OleumCamino

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #254 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp
I would think with that record even Gloria Allred would think the firing was justified.  But clearly I don't know anything about the situation.  


Agreed on the justification just on record alone. However, I think the fear of having to prove there wasn't gender discrimination that lead to the poor record (lack of support, facilities, opportunities, etc) might be enough to weather the storm for at least another year.
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 231
Reply with quote  #255 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp
The Iowa coach HAS to be on the hot seat.  They have been awful for years and they cant keep in state talent.  I was watching the Minnesota v. Wisconsin games yesterday.  Minnesota's freshman phenom Kendyl Lindaman is from Iowa.  Wisconsin's best pitcher, also a freshman (travel ball teammate of Lindaman), is from Iowa.  Minnesota's number 2 pitcher, Amber Fiser, also a freshman, and also from Iowa.  I dont see how the coach can keep her job.

2014   16-30-1
2015   19-40
2016   13-39
2017   15-24 (swept by both GA Tech and VA Tech)


I don't know anything about the quality of these players, but I found it interesting that Western Kentucky has 3 freshman pitchers (one a RS) from Iowa on its roster this year.
lurker123

Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #256 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


You can't win without a stud pitcher, and she's gone after next year. He's got nobody on the staff now who is reliable enough to step into her role. With his current #2 freshman plus his 2017 & 2018 commits, it will be pitch by committee on a great day. When Good leaves, the winning days he's been used to will be tough to match. While he is by far one of the best coaches in the country, not sure he will be able to convince the next stud/shutdown type pitcher to come to Harrisonburg. 

He wants a National Championship. He's got a direct line to Bill Conroy/Beverly Bandits. He pretty much gets any Bandit kid EXCEPT their best pitchers. They all go Power 5. Now why is that? IMO, that's why he will eventually leave...he needs a bigger program, environment & better facilities. 

I'm a huge fan of his & hope he sticks around. Great for Va. He gets more out of kids you never heard of but I just think his best shot was last year. And he goes into NCAAs with basically 1 pitcher. Gonna be tough.


It will be interesting to see what happens with him. He supposedly turned down more money elsewhere after last season.

Good was not on anyone's radar when he got her to pick softball over volleyball. He might have a trick or two up his sleeve.
SchmorMi

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #257 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sballwatcher
Dean not going anywhere. He is close to his family where he is and he can win every year.


agreed! stands are filled every game with friends and family from the area. No chance in my opinion he leaves.
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 245
Reply with quote  #258 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


You can't win without a stud pitcher, and she's gone after next year. He's got nobody on the staff now who is reliable enough to step into her role. With his current #2 freshman plus his 2017 & 2018 commits, it will be pitch by committee on a great day. When Good leaves, the winning days he's been used to will be tough to match. While he is by far one of the best coaches in the country, not sure he will be able to convince the next stud/shutdown type pitcher to come to Harrisonburg. 

He wants a National Championship. He's got a direct line to Bill Conroy/Beverly Bandits. He pretty much gets any Bandit kid EXCEPT their best pitchers. They all go Power 5. Now why is that? IMO, that's why he will eventually leave...he needs a bigger program, environment & better facilities. 

I'm a huge fan of his & hope he sticks around. Great for Va. He gets more out of kids you never heard of but I just think his best shot was last year. And he goes into NCAAs with basically 1 pitcher. Gonna be tough.


I think any coach that is competitive that's not at a top 10 type school would be crazy not to at least look at the Auburn Job.  

If coach Dean was going to leave JMU I think it would be for a school like Auburn...The money alone would be a very good reason to leave.

I doubt the pitching you talk about will have any factor in his decision to stay or leave JMU.  A.  I think the pitchers coming in will be better than you think.  B. It's not a secret that Coach Dean's biggest strength as a coach is pitching so he won't be as worried about those pitchers as some.  C. Clint Myers with 2 national championships hasn't had 2 pitchers better than Good and Ford at Auburn.

Now coach Dean has a lot of reasons to maybe stay at JMU....1 being Good, she is the definition of small town girl.  Her parents have missed 1 game over 3 years and that was bc of travel delay.  So hard to say if Good would be willing to leave with Dean or not.  The Good's credit Dean with all of her success as she wasn't a great pitcher until she started going to JMU camps and working with Dean.  So that being said I think Coach Dean would be more likely to stay and finish out Good's career as he has basically raised her as far as pitching goes.

Would Auburn offer Dean, he's not real young.  He wins like an SEC team would want but with the mess they have now if there is a coaching change they may go for someone younger safer etc.  Coach Dean has never had things happen like they are having at Auburn now that I know of, but he's still an in your face type coach and they may or may not want that now.  

At end of day, it could likely be about money.  Yes he turned down more money last year but it wasn't the same fit Auburn would be.    

KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 245
Reply with quote  #259 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmorMi


agreed! stands are filled every game with friends and family from the area. No chance in my opinion he leaves.


I tend to agree he stays...but no way think no chance.
SchmorMi

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #260 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBandit


I tend to agree he stays...but no way think no chance.


no chance was probably the wrong choice of words on my part, you're correct. There is always a chance of things happening, but I agree that I think he is very happy in Harrisonburg
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 1,626
Reply with quote  #261 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBandit



I think any coach that is competitive that's not at a top 10 type school would be crazy not to at least look at the Auburn Job.  

If coach Dean was going to leave JMU I think it would be for a school like Auburn...The money alone would be a very good reason to leave.

I doubt the pitching you talk about will have any factor in his decision to stay or leave JMU.  A.  I think the pitchers coming in will be better than you think.  B. It's not a secret that Coach Dean's biggest strength as a coach is pitching so he won't be as worried about those pitchers as some.  C. Clint Myers with 2 national championships hasn't had 2 pitchers better than Good and Ford at Auburn.

Now coach Dean has a lot of reasons to maybe stay at JMU....1 being Good, she is the definition of small town girl.  Her parents have missed 1 game over 3 years and that was bc of travel delay.  So hard to say if Good would be willing to leave with Dean or not.  The Good's credit Dean with all of her success as she wasn't a great pitcher until she started going to JMU camps and working with Dean.  So that being said I think Coach Dean would be more likely to stay and finish out Good's career as he has basically raised her as far as pitching goes.

Would Auburn offer Dean, he's not real young.  He wins like an SEC team would want but with the mess they have now if there is a coaching change they may go for someone younger safer etc.  Coach Dean has never had things happen like they are having at Auburn now that I know of, but he's still an in your face type coach and they may or may not want that now.  

At end of day, it could likely be about money.  Yes he turned down more money last year but it wasn't the same fit Auburn would be.    




Who did he turn down more money from?  Also, I don't think age has anything to do with it.  The article I read about Good said she stopped playing volleyball because she stopped growing at 5'11 so too small for the next level...then she turned her sights to pitching.
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #262 
Funny how this coaches on the hotseat thread turned into a is a coach going to bail on his rising mid-major for the big time thread.  I have a kid at JMU who loves the school and played HS and travel ball in HS but didn't want to pursue it in college.  She's played against girls on that team and yet has never gone to a home game and says the programs success does not even register as a blip on the radar for the general student population.  The school just won a football FCS national championship and supposedly has FBS aspirations which has apparently sucked the oxygen out of enthusiasm for other sports there.

I don't know if coach Dean likes that sort of under the radar attention or wants to coach somewhere where all the sports are high profile.  He caught lightning in a bottle with both Ford and Good and even the best mid-majors coaches can't expect to replicate those kind of coups every time.  I'm familiar with one of their pitching commits and although she's very good and I would guess is about the same height and weight as Good she's very different in terms of athleticism.  This kid is a softballbot and a pitchbot at that while Good was obviously a very good athlete in volleyball as well as softball.  Nothing wrong with being focused on one sport but a lot of those kids have a lower ceiling as it's harder to change ingrained muscle memory and are more susceptible to overuse injuries.  I hope I'm wrong and the kid goes on to have a great career there under coach Dean.
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 245
Reply with quote  #263 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



Who did he turn down more money from?  Also, I don't think age has anything to do with it.  The article I read about Good said she stopped playing volleyball because she stopped growing at 5'11 so too small for the next level...then she turned her sights to pitching.


According to my sources..ie her parents!!...If JMU would have offered her a Volleyball Scholarship she would have likely played Volleyball over softball.  Even then it would have been a hard choice bc of their bond with Coach Dean.

You may be right about age, but I tend to think it does in most cases...Yes their current coach is up their in age but they had also planned on his kid taking over at one point.

I doubt you see very many 60 plus year old coaches getting hired in the SEC over the next 20 years.  Dean is not of that age yet, but he's not young anymore either.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,403
Reply with quote  #264 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



Who did he turn down more money from?  


I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but based on coaches who changed last year, I'd put my money on the fact UVA went after him and he said no.
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 245
Reply with quote  #265 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
Funny how this coaches on the hotseat thread turned into a is a coach going to bail on his rising mid-major for the big time thread.  I have a kid at JMU who loves the school and played HS and travel ball in HS but didn't want to pursue it in college.  She's played against girls on that team and yet has never gone to a home game and says the programs success does not even register as a blip on the radar for the general student population.  The school just won a football FCS national championship and supposedly has FBS aspirations which has apparently sucked the oxygen out of enthusiasm for other sports there.

I don't know if coach Dean likes that sort of under the radar attention or wants to coach somewhere where all the sports are high profile.  He caught lightning in a bottle with both Ford and Good and even the best mid-majors coaches can't expect to replicate those kind of coups every time.  I'm familiar with one of their pitching commits and although she's very good and I would guess is about the same height and weight as Good she's very different in terms of athleticism.  This kid is a softballbot and a pitchbot at that while Good was obviously a very good athlete in volleyball as well as softball.  Nothing wrong with being focused on one sport but a lot of those kids have a lower ceiling as it's harder to change ingrained muscle memory and are more susceptible to overuse injuries.  I hope I'm wrong and the kid goes on to have a great career there under coach Dean.


If your daughter is a softballer, why doesn't she come out to support her school's team.  

I am not sure if it's a blip on the radar or not for students but it certainly is for the community..If weather is half way nice JMU get's 1k plus in the stands for basically a no name team....If they were bringing in a power 5 it would be no less than double that.

They had probably close to 3k at the LSU super last year...And it would have been many more if they could have fit it inside... 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,403
Reply with quote  #266 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBandit


If your daughter is a softballer, why doesn't she come out to support her school's team.  

I am not sure if it's a blip on the radar or not for students but it certainly is for the community..If weather is half way nice JMU get's 1k plus in the stands for basically a no name team....If they were bringing in a power 5 it would be no less than double that.

They had probably close to 3k at the LSU super last year...And it would have been many more if they could have fit it inside... 


For exact numbers of SR, 2331 on Friday and 2525 on Saturday.
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #267 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBandit


If your daughter is a softballer, why doesn't she come out to support her school's team.  

I am not sure if it's a blip on the radar or not for students but it certainly is for the community..If weather is half way nice JMU get's 1k plus in the stands for basically a no name team....If they were bringing in a power 5 it would be no less than double that.

They had probably close to 3k at the LSU super last year...And it would have been many more if they could have fit it inside... 


I've asked her that and we've even talked about going to a game together sometime when I'm able to get there to see one with her.  She will express interest in doing so but I suspect the real reason she doesn't go to games is that most of her college friends never played softball so there isn't much shared interest in going.  Also, while the facility is top-notch it is off campus so it's easy for a typical student who might otherwise be interested in going to forget that the program exists.  Lastly, I think a big part of it is that she misses playing and watching other girls playing doesn't do it for her.

Per jayrot's attendance numbers I would consider 2.3-2.5k per game great for JMU and probably exceeds attendance figures for mid to lower tier P5 conference teams. 
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 245
Reply with quote  #268 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


For exact numbers of SR, 2331 on Friday and 2525 on Saturday.


You are correct as far as paid admission goes...JMU has a hill side in right field that was completely packed that would not go into those numbers.  I would guess there was 700 plus maybe more out there for the games.  Even then some people couldn't see the games and choose to go watch it on TV vs trying to see once the hill got to packed.

It's a great place to watch a game as you may or may not be able to have a cold one out there and still have a great view of the game.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,403
Reply with quote  #269 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty

Per jayrot's attendance numbers I would consider 2.3-2.5k per game great for JMU and probably exceeds attendance figures for mid to lower tier P5 conference teams. 


+1

I'd say it's slightly better than great, as those numbers out-paced Florida.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 269
Reply with quote  #270 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBandit



I think any coach that is competitive that's not at a top 10 type school would be crazy not to at least look at the Auburn Job.  

If coach Dean was going to leave JMU I think it would be for a school like Auburn...The money alone would be a very good reason to leave.

I doubt the pitching you talk about will have any factor in his decision to stay or leave JMU.  A.  I think the pitchers coming in will be better than you think.  B. It's not a secret that Coach Dean's biggest strength as a coach is pitching so he won't be as worried about those pitchers as some.  C. Clint Myers with 2 national championships hasn't had 2 pitchers better than Good and Ford at Auburn.

Now coach Dean has a lot of reasons to maybe stay at JMU....1 being Good, she is the definition of small town girl.  Her parents have missed 1 game over 3 years and that was bc of travel delay.  So hard to say if Good would be willing to leave with Dean or not.  The Good's credit Dean with all of her success as she wasn't a great pitcher until she started going to JMU camps and working with Dean.  So that being said I think Coach Dean would be more likely to stay and finish out Good's career as he has basically raised her as far as pitching goes.

Would Auburn offer Dean, he's not real young.  He wins like an SEC team would want but with the mess they have now if there is a coaching change they may go for someone younger safer etc.  Coach Dean has never had things happen like they are having at Auburn now that I know of, but he's still an in your face type coach and they may or may not want that now.  

At end of day, it could likely be about money.  Yes he turned down more money last year but it wasn't the same fit Auburn would be.    



Highly doubt Dean leaves while Good still has eligibility, even for an Auburn type job. That's why my speculation pointed to after she graduates. You're correct, he is a phenominal pitching coach however, he is still smart enough to understand he won't win many games without a very special pitcher. And I maintain he will be unable to recruit the best pitchers to Harrisonburg. So, unless he can avg 5-7 runs a game and will tolerate pitching staff with an average ERA of 3-4, because that's where it's headed. 

The Buresch kid, 2017 from Bandits comes in this fall. She will compete with Alexander for the distant #2 spot/mop up duty. She will then most likely sit behind Alexander her Sophomore year. On top of that, Buresch will have to compete with the Sandercock kid coming in 2018. This is the kid everybody thinks will be the 2nd coming of Megan Good. Most likely he settled on her because he couldn't get the pitcher he wanted. Sandercock throws ok...not the 68-69 everybody thinks, not even close.  She's not even the #1 on her travel team and not sure she's beaten any really good travel teams. I've seen her many times and she just doesn't seem like a Mickey Dean type kid.  She's not athletic at all so won't come close to replacing Goods bat. And all she does is pitch. Not by any stretch a D1 1st baseman in waiting. It's entirely possible he's got a recruit in exile nobody knows about but highly doubtful. 

And to your point on his coaching style. Very few people understand his coaching style like you mentioned. He's OLD SCHOOL. And that doesn't settle well with all these self entitled kids playing these days, or their parents. He will beat you down until you buy in...if you don't, no big deal to him. He just moves on to the the next kid. I'm older and played for coaches like him in high school & college. I'm a huge fan of his. But he demands a special kid. 

Just look at his verballed list. I bet he takes on 10-15 freshman a year. Every Va kid says they want to play for JMU but don't do their homework on the coaching staff. 

Good points KYbandit.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: