Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #1 
Any news on who Clemson might hire?
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 421
Reply with quote  #2 
Rumor I heard was the Coach Kenny G at OSU was a leading candidate.  Mike Davenport at UNG is also rumored to be interested.
Cooper11

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #3 
I just don't see Kenny leaving OSU.  He's done a great job at OSU and has many ties to the state.  I think Davenport would be a solid hire.
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #4 
I can see Clemson paying more than OSU
Cooper11

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #5 
I don't see him leaving even if it's for more money.  His wife is from Oklahoma and his Mom lives there as well.  He has a great job at a great school that is committed to giving him what he needs to be successful.

3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,461
Reply with quote  #6 
Plus, Gasso re-set the bar... he may increase his pay by 50 to 100 percent in 2018-19
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #7 
Clemson MUCH better job than OSU.  You will always be behind OU as long as PG is there, and Clemson is hot right now nationally.  OSU traditionally has not supported the program as well as other schools in the B12.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
Cooper11

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #8 
And you won't be behind FSU in the ACC?  
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #9 
They aren't actually in your state and you don't have to play them at least 3x's a year.

And they have never won a national championship

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
turnit

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #10 
Clemson will catch FSU quickly with a coach who comes in with the attitude that Clemson has in football and baseball.  They will pull a lot of kids from the Atlanta area.
Cooper11

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #11 
I don't agree.  Guess we'll see soon enough when they name a coach.
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #12 
I don't agree they will catch FSU quickly - Noles are very good and have a great staff and facility, along with the advantage of being in Florida.

I just think it's a better job than OSU.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,255
Reply with quote  #13 
Why are people so hype about a Clemson team that is 2 years from actual existence and actually arguing on how good of a job it is straight out of the gate rather than in a program like OSU that is rebuilding, but making strides. Great location, have been to OKC before. Close to OKC so plenty of support if they get to the WCWS. What makes Clemson so incredible that they will be a premier softball program when no other established ACC team has been able to achieve that outside of FSU?
Cooper11

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #14 
What's your definition of quickly?  I'm sure they will pull kids from Atlanta, but those kids will be young and inexperienced and won't have upper class teammates that they can lean on when is get's tough.  It is such a huge jump from HS to College.  It takes time for young players to really figure it out.  
turnit

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #15 
3-5 years
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
Why are people so hype about a Clemson team that is 2 years from actual existence and actually arguing on how good of a job it is straight out of the gate rather than in a program like OSU that is rebuilding, but making strides. Great location, have been to OKC before. Close to OKC so plenty of support if they get to the WCWS. What makes Clemson so incredible that they will be a premier softball program when no other established ACC team has been able to achieve that outside of FSU?


Beautiful Campus
National heat from football team
Great baseball program
Weak conference - should be able to compete quickly

Edit:  OSU will always play second-fiddle in their own state to OU as long as PG is there.  Clemson, with the right coach, will hit the ground running in a league where a start-up won the league in their first few years.  Not that they can do that now, but it shouldn't take long to get into the top few, and with a smart OOC schedule, should be able to host.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,461
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator
I don't agree they will catch FSU quickly - Noles are very good and have a great staff and facility, along with the advantage of being in Florida.

I just think it's a better job than OSU.
This.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,255
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator


Beautiful Campus
National heat from football team
Great baseball program
Weak conference - should be able to compete quickly


Have you been to Clemson? It’s is a gorgeous campus....but there is literally nothing around it. It’s in the middle of nowhere. UNC has a beautiful campus and has excelled in basketball for years, and they struggle to get into the tournament. Don’t see what makes them different
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,461
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
Have you been to Clemson? It’s is a gorgeous campus....but there is literally nothing around it. It’s in the middle of nowhere. UNC has a beautiful campus and has excelled in basketball for years, and they struggle to get into the tournament. Don’t see what makes them different
My understanding is that UNC requires 85 percent of students be from in-state, and finishes the quiniela with an exacting admissions staff (at least for non-revenue students)
ProveThemWrong

Registered:
Posts: 75
Reply with quote  #20 
I would think Hawkins at Upstate would be in the running for the job as well.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,507
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
Have you been to Clemson? It’s is a gorgeous campus....but there is literally nothing around it. It’s in the middle of nowhere. UNC has a beautiful campus and has excelled in basketball for years, and they struggle to get into the tournament. Don’t see what makes them different


Same can be said for Kansas University
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
Have you been to Clemson? It’s is a gorgeous campus....but there is literally nothing around it. It’s in the middle of nowhere. UNC has a beautiful campus and has excelled in basketball for years, and they struggle to get into the tournament. Don’t see what makes them different


The exposure their football team is garnering right now can not be underestimated.  

Football > Basketball 

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 991
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper11
What's your definition of quickly?  I'm sure they will pull kids from Atlanta, but those kids will be young and inexperienced and won't have upper class teammates that they can lean on when is get's tough.  It is such a huge jump from HS to College.  It takes time for young players to really figure it out.  


Clemson, in its' opening season, will most likely play Duke, then in the program's 3rd full year. Let's assume Clemson's first year team has nominally better athletes than Duke, based only on the fact Clemson doesn't have the academic requirements Duke is bound by. Also mix in some possible red-shirt freshman, as Duke did & a few transfers. 

Clemson may very well win their inaugural recruiting war vs Duke because, I believe there may be more than a few quality kids from other top programs who will be able to transfer in very easily. Duke has turned down numerous kids looking to transfer, including quite a few JUCO kids. Reason: Duke currently has a 'look back' requirement where they go back to a kid's Senior year in High School to see if they would have qualified for admission then. Current college accomplishments don't mean near as much for a player looking to transfer. Clemson won't be burdened with this. They could take in a stud Pitcher or any position player from another P5 program who would be the defacto #1. Kid like that could hide ALOT of freshman mistakes. 

That said, whoever gets the coaching gig needs to find a quality pitcher asap or get a kid to decommit. Duke's first recruit, a pitcher, verballed in August 2015. By the 3rd year we should have a decent snapshot of where Duke's team is headed but, I believe Clemson could potentially get there a bit quicker because they don't have the academic handcuffs Duke does. Plus the ACC is wide open and in dire need of some good competition.
Cooper11

Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #24 
Forgot about the Upstate coach.  He's done a great job there..
Scupino

Registered:
Posts: 137
Reply with quote  #25 
Rachel Hanson would be good for Clemson.
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 113
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Clemson may very well win their inaugural recruiting war vs Duke because, I believe there may be more than a few quality kids from other top programs who will be able to transfer in very easily. Duke has turned down numerous kids looking to transfer, including quite a few JUCO kids. Reason: Duke currently has a 'look back' requirement where they go back to a kid's Senior year in High School to see if they would have qualified for admission then. Current college accomplishments don't mean near as much for a player looking to transfer. Clemson won't be burdened with this. They could take in a stud Pitcher or any position player from another P5 program who would be the defacto #1. Kid like that could hide ALOT of freshman mistakes. 



Per the ACC thread I guess that's why they have about all their money tied up with this freshman class because it would seem most advantageous for a startup program to get a fair amount of upperclassmen transfers in so they can stagger their financial aid among several different classes.  

I don't know much about SC Upstate but based on their schedule last year where they swept NC State in a double-header and beat the vast majority of mid-majors they played I'd say you could probably put them in the ACC next year and they'd finish in the top half of the conference.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,461
Reply with quote  #27 
SC Upstate would have been second in the conference in 2017 IMO
ProveThemWrong

Registered:
Posts: 75
Reply with quote  #28 
They can always smash the ball. It’s impressive.
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #29 
Looks like they finished taking applications last week
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,109
Reply with quote  #30 
Are they actually going to hire now or wait until May. 

Would be an extremely awkward time for a head coach to leave their current position.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The truth is, you WANT Bill to have raped her, so you believe it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.