Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 19 of 20     «   Prev   16   17   18   19   20   Next
SchmorMi

Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #541 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
JMU beat 1 top 25 team. That's what you get for being the dominant team in a cupcake conference. Blame your coach for a JV pre season schedule. You think it's bad this year, wait till next years schedule. You got to beat SOMEBODY. 

Have you even looked at your draw? Be thankful...early xmas present. 


Missouri, Auburn, Upstate, Pitt, Oklahoma State, UNC in out of conference scheduling, teams who were stronger last year than this, with the exception of UNC...can't predict that ahead of time. Yes, JMU rolled through conference...but the conference was down this year as well IMO (see RPI rankings someone put up in the this thread from last year to this year). I thought their ranking was a bit high for a while there, not totally surprised that they are traveling this weekend, still disappointed though. But in terms of 'long term vision' for this program, might not have been bad to schedule a tad bit softer, especially when entering this year he wasn't quite sure who his #2 in the circle would be. 

And yes, agree that there is a very good chance they make it out of Waco...
SchmorMi

Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #542 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker123
It is super tough to look at the JMU schedule and say that they could have done much more. In previous years Mizzou, South Florida, Wisconsin, South Alabama, UCF, Pitt, UNC and Virginia Tech all have been in and around the top 25. When you make your schedule a year out it is tough to account that all of these teams are going to have bad years.

JMU needs to take schools like Tennessee up on their offers to not do home-and-home series. There is no reason a big time team is going to agree to spend more than 3 hours on a bus to come to Harrisonburg where it is cold and raining most of the softball season. If JMU or any other mid-major wants big games out of their immediate area they need to be willing to do the traveling.

The conference was definitely weak this year, but I think if the other teams in the CAA had won some of their our of conference big games we'd be singing a different tune.

Still the selection committee got it completely wrong. JMU didn't lose a single OOC game that Megan Good pitched. Should they have been top 8 - no. Should they have been in the top 16 - without a doubt yes.


Couldn't agree more here with your points above...Conference does hurt them though, being as weak as it is this year
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #543 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBandit



I just hope a someone new to softball doesn't read outofzone post and thinks he knows when what he is talking about.
JMU can not play who they want when they want.  Does SEC have to pay or do fundraising when they want to fly to Hawaii like JMU may have to...Dean is not going to schedule down bc he lost last years seniors or this years seniors...That's not who he is, not even a little.  Is he supposed to stop scheduling Tech, UVA, Longwood, UNC during midweek games?  Dean had a home and home with Tenn set up a couple years ago....After Dean took Radford there and then was going to take JMU there (rain out dean's first year) Tenn said we will keep playing but no home and home...You come to us..Well Dean declined...Do you blame him?  Doesn't the SEC have advantage enough?JMU schedule is light, it is what it is and for that reason they have to go to Baylor...But to think Dean tried to put together a light schedule is comical...So much goes into every schedule it's really hard for anyone on this board to know what JMU could have or should have done..



Bandit, come on man. Are you that much of a HOMER you can't read? Not too long ago I was defending you guys for NOT whining about this and that. Now all the true colors coming in bloom. It is mind blowing anybody thinks JMU deserves a seeded spot...You got handed a huge gift with your current bracket as it is.

And you think Dean doesn't schedule down?? Are you on crack? Look at your 2016 vs 2017, not even close. And for good reason. Dean is a fricken genius and you don't see that?? EVERY coach controls their OOC schedule respective to their current rosters year to year. And most likely JMU 2018 schedule will mirror this year or be even weaker. Surprised he hasn't scheduled a 10 game series with Duke yet...If not being seeded this year makes him crap nickels like you guys, then he should arrange a harder OOC in Feb-March 2018, and you won't have these issues. JMU is a monster in a Walt Disney World Conference and, you paid the penance for beating up on a bunch mid major sandbox teams. It's that simple.

And this lame line about budgets etc....smokescreen. Wasn't an issue last year. Every recent comment about Dean & JMU, and why he will never leave blah, blah is because he got the new contract, more money, upgraded facilities etc...Do you really think the AD said, oh Coach, by the way, you may be one of the best coaches in the country but if you want to play out of state you have to have a Bake Sale. Ye, that sounds plausible. 

JMU can play ANYBODY they want to. This year they chose not to, for good reason. Weaker roster. Dean knows he can win the CAA in his sleep, auto berth to NCAA every year. Get used to it because most likely the days of Ford/Good are long gone. And you need 2 like that to go deep. Last year his massive ego wouldn't allow a simple bunt and there goes JMU single best chance for a WCWS berth. 

I mostly enjoy your posts Bandit, even after you called me a racist. I understand excuses but at least be objective, you might be more believable. 






lurker123

Registered:
Posts: 171
Reply with quote  #544 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Bandit, come on man. Are you that much of a HOMER you can't read? Not too long ago I was defending you guys for NOT whining about this and that. Now all the true colors coming in bloom. It is mind blowing anybody thinks JMU deserves a seeded spot...You got handed a huge gift with your current bracket as it is.

And you think Dean doesn't schedule down?? Are you on crack? Look at your 2016 vs 2017, not even close. And for good reason. Dean is a fricken genius and you don't see that?? EVERY coach controls their OOC schedule respective to their current rosters year to year. And most likely JMU 2018 schedule will mirror this year or be even weaker. Surprised he hasn't scheduled a 10 game series with Duke yet...If not being seeded this year makes him crap nickels like you guys, then he should arrange a harder OOC in Feb-March 2018, and you won't have these issues. JMU is a monster in a Walt Disney World Conference and, you paid the penance for beating up on a bunch mid major sandbox teams. It's that simple.

And this lame line about budgets etc....smokescreen. Wasn't an issue last year. Every recent comment about Dean & JMU, and why he will never leave blah, blah is because he got the new contract, more money, upgraded facilities etc...Do you really think the AD said, oh Coach, by the way, you may be one of the best coaches in the country but if you want to play out of state you have to have a Bake Sale. Ye, that sounds plausible. 

JMU can play ANYBODY they want to. This year they chose not to, for good reason. Weaker roster. Dean knows he can win the CAA in his sleep, auto berth to NCAA every year. Get used to it because most likely the days of Ford/Good are long gone. And you need 2 like that to go deep. Last year his massive ego wouldn't allow a simple bunt and there goes JMU single best chance for a WCWS berth. 

I mostly enjoy your posts Bandit, even after you called me a racist. I understand excuses but at least be objective, you might be more believable. 


I don't always agree with outofzone, but I have to agree 100% on the bake sale/budget point. They definitely don't have to fundraise.

I also agree on part of the schedule front. This year's schedule was definitely weaker and likely on purpose. But I'm sure he thought he did enough to ensure hosting a regional with the schedule, but it obviously didn't break that way for JMU. It is definitely a calculated thing with scheduling.

I'm sure the response will be to:

A. Not waste his time throwing anyone other than Good in the big time games

B. Possibly traveling to face some better competition midweek and not worry about the home-and-home

outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #545 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCexile


I think I was pretty specific about the weakness of the CAA. JMU can't control that. Dollars are real for schools without P5 money.  Do have any understanding of collegiate athletics at all?  Huge difference between schools that don't have to ask students for any $$ to fund their athletic programs and JMU where over 75% of the athletic budget is funded by student fees.  Both JMU and Louisiana should be hosting.  Far better to play in front of several thousand rabid fans than a few hundred geriatrics on the left coast.


JMU can control it. Schedule better competition. It's that simple. 

And if fundraising is an issue, schedule more Bake Sales. 
Ladera96DD

Registered:
Posts: 208
Reply with quote  #546 
Selection Week RPI... Minnesota & JMU with Higher RPI's than Hosts LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Kentucky, & Utah... screwy system... but I truly believe that their draw will get JMU to Supers in Tucson... 

RankTeamWeek 8Week 9Movement
1JMU13130
2Hoftsra69654
3CofC7986(7)
4UNCW95941
5Elon9399(6)
6Delaware117122(5)
7Towson144145(1)
8Drexel2422420

__________________
Proud Tiger Dad! http://towsontigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7222&path=softball
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #547 
Again, JMU handed a gift with their draw. 
justadad_

Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #548 
outofzone- who was handed the bigger gift, JMU or UK? Who has the easier path to win regional?
Ladera96DD

Registered:
Posts: 208
Reply with quote  #549 
2016 Selection RPI vs. 2017 Selection RPI... 3 teams stay in the same "zone" as last year JMU, Hofstra, & Drexel... 2 teams improve Marginally UNCW & Elon... 1 team declines marginally CofC... 2 teams tank Delaware & Towson... 
RankTeamSelection Wk 2016Selection Wk 2017Movement
1JMU713(6)
2Hoftsra68653
3CofC5886(28)
4UNCW1059411
5Elon1279928
6Delaware73122(49)
7Towson69145(76)
8Drexel240242(2)

the represents a 15 spot average decline in Conf RPI vs same time last year... 

__________________
Proud Tiger Dad! http://towsontigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7222&path=softball
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,255
Reply with quote  #550 
JMU is on the road, with a verrrrry up and down Oregon State in the opener and Baylor, against whom they could play a 1-0, 13-inning game... not easy
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 372
Reply with quote  #551 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Bandit, come on man. Are you that much of a HOMER you can't read? Not too long ago I was defending you guys for NOT whining about this and that. Now all the true colors coming in bloom. It is mind blowing anybody thinks JMU deserves a seeded spot...You got handed a huge gift with your current bracket as it is.

And you think Dean doesn't schedule down?? Are you on crack? Look at your 2016 vs 2017, not even close. And for good reason. Dean is a fricken genius and you don't see that?? EVERY coach controls their OOC schedule respective to their current rosters year to year. And most likely JMU 2018 schedule will mirror this year or be even weaker. Surprised he hasn't scheduled a 10 game series with Duke yet...If not being seeded this year makes him crap nickels like you guys, then he should arrange a harder OOC in Feb-March 2018, and you won't have these issues. JMU is a monster in a Walt Disney World Conference and, you paid the penance for beating up on a bunch mid major sandbox teams. It's that simple.

And this lame line about budgets etc....smokescreen. Wasn't an issue last year. Every recent comment about Dean & JMU, and why he will never leave blah, blah is because he got the new contract, more money, upgraded facilities etc...Do you really think the AD said, oh Coach, by the way, you may be one of the best coaches in the country but if you want to play out of state you have to have a Bake Sale. Ye, that sounds plausible. 

JMU can play ANYBODY they want to. This year they chose not to, for good reason. Weaker roster. Dean knows he can win the CAA in his sleep, auto berth to NCAA every year. Get used to it because most likely the days of Ford/Good are long gone. And you need 2 like that to go deep. Last year his massive ego wouldn't allow a simple bunt and there goes JMU single best chance for a WCWS berth. 

I mostly enjoy your posts Bandit, even after you called me a racist. I understand excuses but at least be objective, you might be more believable. 








Please show me anywhere I have whined about this...You will not find one, (at least that I can remember)  I knew from the day the schedule came out that it may be tough to host.  Nothing changed throughout the year.  Was I hopeful that they would yes, am I ok they didnt yes..Do I think Ole Miss with zero out of conf wins in the top 50 isn't right...yes...Do I think Utah with the losses and the way the way the ended the season at 11 is dumb yes...

I can tell you this for sure Dean will never say he scheduled down... You realize we basically go the same places every year.  2 years ago we went west and did the Arizona spring break. So we got some really good games in..He goes west every other year.

This year the Michelle Classic wasn't as good for us...But last year it was great.  We have went to UCF every year.. This year we went to Orlando and did the diamond 9 instead of UCF and still picked up a game with UCF.  Diamond 9 was great to us 3 years ago.  Not as much this year.  We picked up a road games at Auburn, not bad right?  We went to Charleston to get two games with Missouri and one with USC Upstate...Not bad right?

Maybe Dean should have realized who was going to be where and did a better job with schedule...That may be up for debate but he didn't schedule down on purpose.  

Dean had higher hopes for this year's team than I did and thought and thinks they can accomplish more than last years team.  I disagree, but he didn't schedule down on purpose.

I have enjoyed a few of your posts as well, just not many!
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 372
Reply with quote  #552 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
JMU is on the road, with a verrrrry up and down Oregon State in the opener and Baylor, against whom they could play a 1-0, 13-inning game... not easy


Yeah, I think JMU could win it or go 0-2...Not like any team isn't very good.  Last year's Mac team got a 3 seed...This year they got a 4...Guessing Kent is one of the best #4 seeds as well...


steelman

Registered:
Posts: 370
Reply with quote  #553 
Such is the life of a mid-major. JMUs OOC was just fine. 2-0 against top competition when Good pitched and 0-2 when she didnt. To me thats good enough to host but I am not on the committee. Dean has a freshman pitcher and he threw her into the fire to see what she could do. it seems its all about $$$$$ and that is where the mids are at a disadvantage. The NCAA wants as many fannies in the seats as possible so they award the P5 schools. There is no margin of error for JMU. Look at Minnesota who went 56-3. they are not hosting. What should they do. The only thing they can is change conferences to get their SOS up. 
Going forward Good should just pitch as much as possible and get the Dukes into the WCWS. She has what a 0,45 ERA. How much better would any of the other top pitchers have done if they took her place on the Dukes? what was her record 30-1? Again even if she went undefeated thewould still find fault. She will not get first team AA as a pitcher but as a P/Ultility player. To me that is bogus.

__________________
Of all the things ive lost, I miss my mind the most.
TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 1,033
Reply with quote  #554 
Steelman, if JMU is as good as you say, it doesn't matter whether they host or not.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #555 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justadad_
outofzone- who was handed the bigger gift, JMU or UK? Who has the easier path to win regional?


As long as Good is pitching JMU.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #556 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBandit


Please show me anywhere I have whined about this...You will not find one, (at least that I can remember)  I knew from the day the schedule came out that it may be tough to host.  Nothing changed throughout the year.  Was I hopeful that they would yes, am I ok they didnt yes..Do I think Ole Miss with zero out of conf wins in the top 50 isn't right...yes...Do I think Utah with the losses and the way the way the ended the season at 11 is dumb yes...
I can tell you this for sure Dean will never say he scheduled down... You realize we basically go the same places every year.  2 years ago we went west and did the Arizona spring break. So we got some really good games in..He goes west every other year.
This year the Michelle Classic wasn't as good for us...But last year it was great.  We have went to UCF every year.. This year we went to Orlando and did the diamond 9 instead of UCF and still picked up a game with UCF.  Diamond 9 was great to us 3 years ago.  Not as much this year.  We picked up a road games at Auburn, not bad right?  We went to Charleston to get two games with Missouri and one with USC Upstate...Not bad right?
Maybe Dean should have realized who was going to be where and did a better job with schedule...That may be up for debate but he didn't schedule down on purpose.  
Dean had higher hopes for this year's team than I did and thought and thinks they can accomplish more than last years team.  I disagree, but he didn't schedule down on purpose.

I have enjoyed a few of your posts as well, just not many!


I don't recall you whining at all. In fact you're one of the more objective posters. We just disagree on a few points. And one of those points is the scheduling. Call it what you want but, all coaches schedule respective to their current rosters. SEC & P5 programs have built in advantages no doubt. That said, Dean has built his program into a P5 equivalent, but happens to play in a mid major conference. He tends to post his schedule later than most, at least that's my observation. Remember, i said the guys a genius for his scheduling. Maybe he thought a ton of wins would be good enough. Possible yes. More likely he looked at his roster last fall, Ford gone, senior studs gone, bunch of freshman coming in. 1 AA candidate pitcher. His biggest dilema was how much NOT to pitch Good. His lack of a solid #2 and all the freshman surely had an impact on scheduling. I just don't buy the reason his OOC schedule was weak was because of money. You gotta know he picks up the phone and can schedule ANY team he wants to. I'd also bet he turns down many more games than we all know. I happen to believe JMU is placed pretty much where they belong...this year. Same with MN & ULL, both about a mirror image to JMU. 

Bandit, you always come with good facts & strong points. I'm not attached to the program like you seem to be...I am a huge fan of JMU & Coach Dean though. I tend to be more cynical than most but, that cynism drives good debate. I WANT JMU to win...good for VA. 

Next year my positions may change once my daughter enters school. I may go completely around the bend then. In the meantime, I still enjoy the opinions & debate. All good fun.
hofpridefan

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #557 
UNCW is currently in action against Liberty. Here's the link to live stats, if anyone is interested in following the game. Doesn't appear to be video.
https://t.co/WJNK8nMpsN?amp=1
hofpridefan

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #558 
UNCW lost to Liberty 4-0. They face Campbell today at noon in the elimination game.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #559 
So Mickey is dragging the whole circus to Texas, at NCAAs expense. Way to stick it to the powers that be. How many of those kids will actually get to dress out?
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 372
Reply with quote  #560 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


I don't recall you whining at all. In fact you're one of the more objective posters. We just disagree on a few points. And one of those points is the scheduling. Call it what you want but, all coaches schedule respective to their current rosters. SEC & P5 programs have built in advantages no doubt. That said, Dean has built his program into a P5 equivalent, but happens to play in a mid major conference. He tends to post his schedule later than most, at least that's my observation. Remember, i said the guys a genius for his scheduling. Maybe he thought a ton of wins would be good enough. Possible yes. More likely he looked at his roster last fall, Ford gone, senior studs gone, bunch of freshman coming in. 1 AA candidate pitcher. His biggest dilema was how much NOT to pitch Good. His lack of a solid #2 and all the freshman surely had an impact on scheduling. I just don't buy the reason his OOC schedule was weak was because of money. You gotta know he picks up the phone and can schedule ANY team he wants to. I'd also bet he turns down many more games than we all know. I happen to believe JMU is placed pretty much where they belong...this year. Same with MN & ULL, both about a mirror image to JMU. 

Bandit, you always come with good facts & strong points. I'm not attached to the program like you seem to be...I am a huge fan of JMU & Coach Dean though. I tend to be more cynical than most but, that cynism drives good debate. I WANT JMU to win...good for VA. 

Next year my positions may change once my daughter enters school. I may go completely around the bend then. In the meantime, I still enjoy the opinions & debate. All good fun.


You are right we do disagree on some things...In this case the money and the schedule...in ways you may be right...If he really wants to do something he probably can but at a cost..

I just say look at the schedule...What should he have done different...Not go to Auburn and get those 2 games that got us 3 really bad games...Not go to Charleston to open the season with Missouri... Michelle Smith classic was awesome last year...Not as much this year but still not bad...Diamond 9...isn't that a respected tournament.

Yes he post his schedule late but he knows about 99% of what he is going to do before those freshman stepped on campus.
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 372
Reply with quote  #561 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
So Mickey is dragging the whole circus to Texas, at NCAAs expense. Way to stick it to the powers that be. How many of those kids will actually get to dress out?


Disagree on this as well, I have heard that the NCAA is not paying for them from a very good source, But I guess I don't know that to be 100% fact either.

And I do not think any of the extra's will dress.

SchmorMi

Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #562 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
So Mickey is dragging the whole circus to Texas, at NCAAs expense. Way to stick it to the powers that be. How many of those kids will actually get to dress out?


NCAA has rules as to how many players can be dressed in dugout during Regionals & Super Regionals. I believe it is 20 players dressed. 
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,178
Reply with quote  #563 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmorMi


NCAA has rules as to how many players can be dressed in dugout during Regionals & Super Regionals. I believe it is 20 players dressed. 


Did ULL have to buy a block of seats for players 21-37 on their team? Ha ha ha I kid I kid

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
hofpridefan

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #564 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmorMi


NCAA has rules as to how many players can be dressed in dugout during Regionals & Super Regionals. I believe it is 20 players dressed. 


The CAA has that same rule, so it'll probably be the same players that were dressed for the conference tournament.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #565 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBandit
Disagree on this as well, I have heard that the NCAA is not paying for them from a very good source, But I guess I don't know that to be 100% fact either.


And I do not think any of the extra's will dress.



I thought NCAA picked up the tab? I was glad to hear he was taking everybody even though I knew only 20 or so would dress. Nice oppt for some of the kids who may never get out there again...
hofpridefan

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #566 
Lots of CAA players represented on the NFCA all region teams. 8 on the first team, JMU had 7 and Cornell from Hofstra.
http://www.caasports.com/news/2017/5/18/softball-nfca-recognizes-16-for-all-region-honors.aspx?path=
NCexile

Registered:
Posts: 643
Reply with quote  #567 
I think league play really hurt JMU. Hadn't seen quality pitching in a long time. I think it also impacted Good as her strikeout numbers nosedived as the season progressed.  Not much Dean can do as it's difficult to find teams with real quality pitching that can bussed to for midweek games.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 880
Reply with quote  #568 
For the most part she did her job, run support would've been helpful. 

To your point, another thing they don't see on a regular basis is the speed of the game, which jumped exponentially...plus the best CF they have ever played against.
TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 1,033
Reply with quote  #569 
Just lik I said months ago. They are Towson or Delaware with a pitcher.
ProveThemWrong

Registered:
Posts: 71
Reply with quote  #570 
I hate to admit it, but after watching the Waco Regional, it was clear to me that JMU might have been overrated this year. They had the best team batting average in the nation going into the tourney, and the offense simply didn't show up when they needed to the most. Megan Good is good (no pun intended) but there were times when she left pitches fat on the plate. When it comes to their offense, they continually got jammed. It seemed as if Baylor realized that the JMU hitters got their arms extended pretty early in their swings, which in turn, left them exposed to getting jammed on the inside pitch. This is just my opinion and could be completely wrong, but I felt that Baylor outplayed them. I know Baylor got lucky with Good's wild pitch, but the offense never adjusted and ended up getting no-hit. JMU had a great season and should be very proud of what they accomplished, but they have a lot of work to do if they want to compete for a spot in the World Series next year.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.