Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,764
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


Lefty referenced a website called Behind the Plate earlier end they have all 3 teams IN.  Dont get how that's possible.  Not sure who else they excluded. 

(1) OregonTexasDrakeAlbany
(16) HofstraAuburnPittsburghFordham
(8) South CarolinaJames MadisonLibertyBoston University
(9) TennesseeOhio StateUNC GreensboroMiddle Tennessee
(5) WashingtonNorthwesternBYUUI- Chicago
(12) AlabamaMichiganNotre DameJacksonville State
(4) FloridaCaliforniaSouth FloridaBethune-Cookman
(13) GeorgiaMinnesotaKennesaw StateOhio
(3) OklahomaTexas StateWichita StateDePaul
(14) ArkansasOklahoma StateTulsaNorth Dakota State
(6) Arizona StateOle MissCal State FullertonMonmouth
(11) ArizonaKentuckyBoise StateNew Mexico State
(7) Florida StateMississippi StateOregon StateHarvard
(10) LSULouisianaMcNeese StateSt. Francis (PA)
(2) UCLALong Beach StateMissouriSacramento State
(15) Texas A&MBaylorHoustonPrairie View


If you look at the last rpi rankings, the at large line ends with #42 South Florida. That would mean for #43 Notre Dame and #48 Pittsburgh to get into the bracket, the two teams they would have supplanted would be #33 Florida Gulf Coast and #40 Nebraska. Pittsburgh would have passed #44 Louisville and #46 Wisconsin. I am in agreement with all of that.

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 441
Reply with quote  #62 

1 seeds:

-          Oregon

-          UCLA

-          Florida

-          Oklahoma

-          Arizona State

-          Washington

-          Florida State

-          South Carolina

-          Tennessee

-          LSU

-          Georgia

-          Alabama

-          Texas A&M

-          Arizona

-          Arkansas

-          Auburn

2 seeds:

-          Kentucky

-          Baylor

-          Long Beach State

-          Mississippi State

-          Louisiana

-          Hofstra

-          Missouri

-          Oregon State

-          James Madison

-          Oklahoma State

-          Ohio State

-          Minnesota

-          California

-          Michigan

-          Texas State

-          Ole Miss

3 seeds:

-          Wichita State

-          FGCU

-          Houston

-          Northwestern

-          Texas

-          South Florida

-          Notre Dame

-          Liberty

-          Kennesaw State

-          Drake

-          McNeese State

-          Cal State Fullerton

-          BYU

-          North Dakota State

-          UNCG

-          Tulsa

4 seeds:

-          Ohio

-          Boise State

-          DePaul

-          Boston

-          Fordham

-          New Mexico State

-          St. Francis

-          Jacksonville State

-          Middle Tennessee

-          Monmouth

-          UIC

-          Albany

-          Harvard

-          Sacramento State

-          Bethune Cookman

-          Prairie View

smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 441
Reply with quote  #63 
Removed Pittsburgh over their wins over bad RPI teams and Notre Dame's win over bigger RPI team(s)

That is the only change I made, I still think South Florida will get in the tournament.
LSUsoftballfan

Registered:
Posts: 560
Reply with quote  #64 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion


Say BYU has to transport 30 people.

A flight from Salt Lake City to Portland is $295 per person. This would cost $8850 for just the flight. This does not factor in driving time from Provo to Salt Lake City and Portland to Eugene, which could cost a lot. A hotel room in Eugene costs around $119 per night. Lets say they need 10 hotel rooms and each stay 3 nights. This would cost $3,570. A total plane and hotel cost of $12,420.

A flight from Salt Lake City to Houston is $393 per person. This would cost $11,790 for just the flight. This does not factor in driving time from Provo to Salt Lake City and Houston to College Station, which could cost a lot. A hotel in college station is around $96 per night, say they stay 3 nights and rent 10 rooms. This would cost $2,880. A total plane and room cost of $14,670.

So overall, the flight from Salt Lake City to Portland is around $2,250 less than the one from Salt Lake City to Houston. $2,250 DOLLARS IS A LOT OF MONEY.


Hate to kill the buzz....but teams often charter during NCAA Tournament, paid for by the NCAA, so distance isn't an issue.
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,764
Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion
Removed Pittsburgh over their wins over bad RPI teams and Notre Dame's win over bigger RPI team(s)

That is the only change I made, I still think South Florida will get in the tournament.


The committee will not leave the conference champion that also made it to the tournament championship game out in favor of the second and third place teams that did not win the automatic bid.

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
DJPort2008

Registered:
Posts: 831
Reply with quote  #66 
I saw some of these brackets.

UW gets Michigan again?
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,512
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUsoftballfan


Hate to kill the buzz....but teams often charter during NCAA Tournament, paid for by the NCAA, so distance isn't an issue.


The NCAA does not charter planes. The teams get expenses based upon distance/travel cost. If they choose to charter and it costs more, the schools absorb that extra expense.

If the NCAA was offering charters, every team that didn’t drive would charter. And that isn’t what happens.
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,512
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUsoftballfan


Hate to kill the buzz....but teams often charter during NCAA Tournament, paid for by the NCAA, so distance isn't an issue.


The NCAA allocates travel cost based on distance/expense of travel. It does not charter planes. Schools that do so either do it within the allocated expenses or pays the extra expense on its own. That’s how it works.

I’m sure the SEC schools probably pay the extra, but that’s not the case for everyone. And if some schools got to charter on the NCAA’s dime, then every team that travels would also get to charter out of fairness.
whatusmokin

Registered:
Posts: 244
Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
BTW, Behind The Plate has Hofstra hosting


Hofstra will not host, they will go west, they are always sent west, usually to Airzona.
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 441
Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatusmokin
Hofstra will not host, they will go west, they are always sent west, usually to Airzona.


The last time they were in the tournament, Florida got em
whatusmokin

Registered:
Posts: 244
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion


The last time they were in the tournament, Florida got em


Yea they did stop sending them to the PAC after they beat UCLA.....my bad for living in the past!
LCAOS

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler


The NCAA does not charter planes. The teams get expenses based upon distance/travel cost. If they choose to charter and it costs more, the schools absorb that extra expense.

If the NCAA was offering charters, every team that didn’t drive would charter. And that isn’t what happens.


I’ve been to two ncaa tournaments with a softball team. One year the ncaa had us on a charter airplane both to our destination and back and the other year we were split up on two different commercial flights there and back.
LCAOS

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #73 
My final projection

1. Oregon - Missouri - Drake - Harvard
16. Auburn - Minnesota - North Dakota State - DePaul

8. South Carolina - Oregon State - James Madison - Monmouth
9. Tennessee - Ohio State - Liberty - Ohio

4. Oklahoma - Texas State - Wichita State - Albany
13. Arizona - Kentucky - Notre Dame - New Mexico State

5. Washington - Hofstra - Pittsburgh - Illinois-Chicago
12. Alabama - California - Kennesaw State - St. Francis PA

3. UCLA - Ole Miss - Cal St. Fullerton - Sacramento State
14. Texas A&M - Baylor - McNeese - Fordham

6. Arizona State - Long Beach State - BYU - Boise St
11. Georgia - Michigan - UNCG - Middle Tennessee

7. Florida State - Mississippi State - South Florida - Jacksonville State
10. LSU - Louisiana - Houston - Prairie View A&M

2. Florida - Northwestern - Texas - Bethune-Cookman
15. Arkansas - Oklahoma State - Tulsa - Boston U.

Last 4 In: Houston, South Florida, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh

First 4 out: FGCU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Louisville
d4cohn

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAOS
My final projection 1. Oregon - Missouri - Drake - Harvard 16. Auburn - Minnesota - North Dakota State - DePaul 8. South Carolina - Oregon State - James Madison - Monmouth 9. Tennessee - Ohio State - Liberty - Ohio 4. Oklahoma - Texas State - Wichita State - Albany 13. Arizona - Kentucky - Notre Dame - New Mexico State 5. Washington - Hofstra - Pittsburgh - Illinois-Chicago 12. Alabama - California - Kennesaw State - St. Francis PA 3. UCLA - Ole Miss - Cal St. Fullerton - Sacramento State 14. Texas A&M - Baylor - McNeese - Fordham 6. Arizona State - Long Beach State - BYU - Boise St 11. Georgia - Michigan - UNCG - Middle Tennessee 7. Florida State - Mississippi State - South Florida - Jacksonville State 10. LSU - Louisiana - Houston - Prairie View A&M 2. Florida - Northwestern - Texas - Bethune-Cookman 15. Arkansas - Oklahoma State - Tulsa - Boston U. Last 4 In: Houston, South Florida, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh First 4 out: FGCU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Louisville


I can understand the arguments for South Florida over FGCU, but for me personally, it is tough when the two teams met on the field (albeit at FGCU), and FGCU won both. I would not be surprised if geography, with Florida and Florida State hosting regionals among other SEC teams, gets South Florida and FGCU into the tournament over one of Pitt/Notre Dame.
smcouvillion

Registered:
Posts: 441
Reply with quote  #75 
I think only one of Pitt/UND will get in and both USF/FGCU will get in
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,512
Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAOS


I’ve been to two ncaa tournaments with a softball team. One year the ncaa had us on a charter airplane both to our destination and back and the other year we were split up on two different commercial flights there and back.


The NCAA does not book the travel. That’s up to the schools.
LCAOS

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #77 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler


The NCAA does not book the travel. That’s up to the schools.


That’s something that must be new then coming from someone who used to work in operations. The NCAA told us when and where to be at the airport.
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,512
Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAOS


That’s something that must be new then coming from someone who used to work in operations. The NCAA told us when and where to be at the airport.


I don’t know if it’s new or not, but I know several people in several NCAA sports in operations and they are told when to be where and which hotel they get (the No. 2 seed in a regoinal might be at hotel A and the 3/4 seeds at hotel B, or they might all be together, etc.). They don’t book the travel for them ... it may be an option, but if it is I’ve never heard of it and the schools I’ve known that travel have to make the arrangements (I know of one case of a team traveling commercial air because they couldn’t get a charter on such short notice because another school beat them to it and there wasn’t one available).
sMurph

Registered:
Posts: 545
Reply with quote  #79 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


Kentucky is "better" than MN only in RPI points.  When they met on the field, the better team won.  And that was back when MN was a bit of a disaster.  

 


I wasn't trying to argue who is better between KY and Minn. I have not real basis for evaluating that. I will go with yours. The substance of my point is that both of them are among the stongest 2 seeds and therefore should be assigned to regionals of the lower end teams among the 16 hosts, not the top teams. 
yukon

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #80 
My best guess-

1- Oregon, Miss St, DePaul, Albany
2- Oklahoma, Wichita State, Nebraska, Monmouth
3- Florida, Hofstra, FGCU, Bethune-Cookmna
4- UCLA, Long Beach State, Texas, Sacramento St.
5- Washington, Ole Miss, BYU, Boise State
6- Florida State, Auburn, N'western, Ohio
7- Arizona State, Kentucky, CS Fullerton, Boston U
8- South Carolina, James Madison, UNCG, Fordham
9- Tennessee, Cal, Liberty, Mid Tennessee
10- LSU, Louisiana, Houston, UIC
11- Georgia, Ohio St., Kennesaw State, Jacksonville St.
12- Arizona, Arkansas, Saint Francis, New Mexico State
13- Texas A&M, Ok State, McNeese, Prairie View
14- Baylor, Texas St, Oregon St, Tulsa
15- Alabama, Michigan, Pitt, Harvard
16- Minnesota, Missouri, Drake, North Dakota St

L4I: FGCU, Houston, Nebraska, Pitt
FFO: USF, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Illinois
NFO: Louisville, SJSU, Lipscomb, Boston College
sftbll4ever

Registered:
Posts: 264
Reply with quote  #81 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion

#1 Oregon, Missouri, Cal State Fullerton, BYU

#2 UCLA, Long Beach State, UIC, Sacramento State

#3 Florida, Hofstra, FGCU, Bethune Cookman

#4 Oklahoma, Mississippi State, Wichita State, North Dakota State

#5 Arizona State, Northwestern, DePaul, Albany

#6 Washington, Michigan, Liberty, Boise State

#7 Florida State, Kentucky, South Florida, Jacksonville State

#8 South Carolina, Pittsburgh, UNCG, St. Francis

#9 Tennessee, Ohio State, Texas, Middle Tennessee

#10 LSU, Louisiana, McNeese State, Monmouth

#11 Georgia, James Madison, Kennesaw State, Ohio

#12 Alabama, Minnesota, California. Harvard

#13 Texas A&M, Texas State, Houston, Prairie View

#14 Arizona, Baylor, Ole Miss, New Mexico State

#15 Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Drake, Tulsa

#16 Auburn, Oregon State, Boston, Fordham

Updated to remove Cal State Fullerton and LBSU in same regional.



Just because I've said it from the beginning of everyone's predictions, Big West Champ ALWAYS goes to UCLA.  Called it!!!  LOL
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.