Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 15      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 18,661
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ28
It's very possible that what the New Zealander could not accomplish in Eugene will reoccur in Austin.
That is a helluva limb there, since 295 of 296 teams fit that bill every year.

Or, maybe you meant he still won't be able to win six conference titles in a row. Another thick branch.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 2,151
Reply with quote  #32 
I like The Kiwi's chances in Austin. The athletic department has gobs of money, and the state might be second only to Cali as a recruiting base. Benefiting from the transfers this season, he'll create immediate enthusiasm for the program and goose his future high school recruiting in state. Don't see how he could fail to build a consistent winner there. Will he eclipse OU? Not sure about that, but there'll be more parity than there has been. That will be good for OU and the B12-minus 5.
Southie

Registered:
Posts: 1,062
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
I like the Kiwi's chances in Austin. The athletic department has gobs of money, and the state might be second only to Cali as a recruiting base. Benefiting from the transfers this season, he'll create immediate enthusiasm for the program and goose his future high school recruiting in state. Don't see how he could fail to build a consistent winner there. Will he eclipse OU? Not sure about that, but there'll be more parity than there has been. That will be good for OU and the B12-minus 5.

I can agree with all that.

But, in most sports, even the most successful programs have an off year every now and again.  And, in softball, where I think upsets in the super regionals are far less frequent than in men's baseball, I think it will increase in the next few years.  OU has had enormous success over the last decade or so (probably even longer).  Will they fall off their Big 12 and national perch any time soon?  Probably not.  But, nothing lasts forever.

Look at what happened to OU women's basketball once Kim Mulkey took over the reigns at Baylor.  While your women's hoops program never won a national championship, Sherri Coale took it to heights never reached before, including several conference championships, tremendous success in the NCAA tourney for many years, a handful of Final Four appearances, and an runner-up finish or two.  But, look where they are now.  Barely made the NCAA tourney last season with like a .500 overall record, and this year, a 5-9 record and a huge struggle to get an NCAA bid.  Is that directly related to Mulkey's arrival?  Not necessarily.  But, OU was the dominant Big 12 power, and now it's Baylor by a mile; and OU is in the bottom half of the conference even with the same head coach who was once on the cusp of winning a national title.
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 2,151
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southie


Look at what happened to OU women's basketball once Kim Mulkey took over the reigns at Baylor.  While your women's hoops program never won a national championship, Sherri Coale took it to heights never reached before, including several conference championships, tremendous success in the NCAA tourney for many years, a handful of Final Four appearances, and an runner-up finish or two.  But, look where they are now.  Barely made the NCAA tourney last season with like a .500 overall record, and this year, a 5-9 record and a huge struggle to get an NCAA bid.  Is that directly related to Mulkey's arrival?  Not necessarily.  But, OU was the dominant Big 12 power, and now it's Baylor by a mile; and OU is in the bottom half of the conference even with the same head coach who was once on the cusp of winning a national title.


I don't disagree that nothing lasts forever, but I wouldn't use the program decline in OU women's basketball as the proof point. I like Sherri Coale, but she has not had anywhere near the success Patty Gasso has had with the softball program. Her basketball program was never as dominant in the Big 12 as Gasso's softball program is now. As you say, Coale had one national runner-up. Gasso has four national championships. No comparison.

It'll be interesting to see if how the Gasso-Kiwi battle shakes out in national recruiting. If The Kiwi can start getting top 10, top 5 recruiting classes like PG does, then things will get exciting.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 5,084
Reply with quote  #35 
I will say White's chance at finally winning a title grew exponentially upon leaving Oregon and landing in Austin.  Now we shall see if it indeed was big stage choke city, or an impossible accomplishment in Eugene.
Not2day

Registered:
Posts: 98
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
White has won his most recent three games against Baylor.... in regionals and OKC

While that may be true, he doesn't have the same team / players. For that matter, neither does Baylor. Since these are only "predictions", I'll reserve until teams have actually played some games.
LongBallGuru

Registered:
Posts: 219
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ28
It's very possible that what the New Zealander could not accomplish in Eugene will reoccur in Austin.


It's also possible that the sun will rise in the west and set in the east or that Donald Trump will leave Melania for Nancy Pelosi or that the La. lawmakers will formally change the name from University of Louisiana-Lafayette to University of Louisiana.

__________________
Why run when you can just trot around the bases!
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 2,494
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBallGuru


It's also possible that the sun will rise in the west and set in the east or that Donald Trump will leave Melania for Nancy Pelosi or that the La. lawmakers will formally change the name from University of Louisiana-Lafayette to University of Louisiana.


Lol. No, none of those things are possible.
SJ28

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #39 
How about the possibility to communicate with dead relatives via virtual reality?
Chester45

Registered:
Posts: 274
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU


I don't disagree that nothing lasts forever, but I wouldn't use the program decline in OU women's basketball as the proof point. I like Sherri Coale, but she has not had anywhere near the success Patty Gasso has had with the softball program. Her basketball program was never as dominant in the Big 12 as Gasso's softball program is now. As you say, Coale had one national runner-up. Gasso has four national championships. No comparison.

It'll be interesting to see if how the Gasso-Kiwi battle shakes out in national recruiting. If The Kiwi can start getting top 10, top 5 recruiting classes like PG does, then things will get exciting.


OUs recruiting classes for the upcoming years are stacked. Talent level might actually be going up. The only thing that scares OU fans would be a Gasso retirement. All bets are off if her son takes over.
Southie

Registered:
Posts: 1,062
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ28
It's very possible that what the New Zealander could not accomplish in Eugene will reoccur in Austin.

That certainly is the glass-half-empty perspective.

The glass-half-full perspective is that if he can accomplish at Texas exactly what he accomplished at Oregon, which Texas fans could be upset? 

From where Texas has been the last handful of years, and most seasons in its softball history sans pitchers like Christa Williams, Cat Osterman, and Blair Luna, he'd have surpassed Connie Clark in every category such as winning conference championships, attaining a #1 ranking during the regular season, getting a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney, getting to Super Regionals, and getting to the WCWS.

Maybe our AD hired him with the expectation of winning a national title by a certain number or years; that's his prerogative.   I don't have that vision yet.

Back in 2007, the former Texas women's AD hired women's basketball head coach Gail Goestenkors away from Duke (where the Blue Devils has just completed their season as the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, but lost to #16 seed Rutgers in the round of sixteen) at a salary of $1 million.  Expectations were through the roof at Texas based on her accomplishments at Duke (multiple Final Fours, and one runner-up finish).  But, she never came close to realizing those expectations at Texas in 4 seasons; not a single conference title or Sweet 16 appearance.
Southie

Registered:
Posts: 1,062
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU


I don't disagree that nothing lasts forever, but I wouldn't use the program decline in OU women's basketball as the proof point. I like Sherri Coale, but she has not had anywhere near the success Patty Gasso has had with the softball program. Her basketball program was never as dominant in the Big 12 as Gasso's softball program is now. As you say, Coale had one national runner-up. Gasso has four national championships. No comparison.

It'll be interesting to see if how the Gasso-Kiwi battle shakes out in national recruiting. If The Kiwi can start getting top 10, top 5 recruiting classes like PG does, then things will get exciting.

I used Sherri Coale as an example simply because she coaches at the same school, with the same AD, with the same resources, and same recruiting advantages/obstacles as Coach Gasso.

We can use Bob Stoops as a comparison.  One national championship in his second season (with mainly players recruited by former head coach John Blake); could never win another single national title before he resigned.  Yes, he didn't have the decline Sherri Coale is encountering, but maybe that's a better example for you.

Not sure which other sports you follow nationally, but Andy Banachowski at UCLA was a legend leading UCLA women's volleyball to multiple national titles; but, eventually, he was booted out as his program declined.  Same for football's Bobby Bowden at FSU.  Maintaining what you built as a head coach is harder than reaching the summit the first time.


HoustonCajun

Registered:
Posts: 112
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBallGuru


It's also possible that the sun will rise in the west and set in the east or that Donald Trump will leave Melania for Nancy Pelosi or that the La. lawmakers will formally change the name from University of Louisiana-Lafayette to University of Louisiana.


Well, there is no need to change our official university name from University of Louisiana at Lafayette any more than the University of Texas at Austin, or the University of Wisconsin - Madison, or the University of Nebraska - Lincoln, or the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, or the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, or the University of California Berkeley, etc., etc. need to change their official names.

__________________
Houston Cajun
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 3,264
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ28
How about the possibility to communicate with dead relatives via virtual reality?


Are you ready to say who the "good teams" are?

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,284
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCajun


Well, there is no need to change our official university name from University of Louisiana at Lafayette any more than the University of Texas at Austin, or the University of Wisconsin - Madison, or the University of Nebraska - Lincoln, or the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, or the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, or the University of California Berkeley, etc., etc. need to change their official names.



As a native Nebraskan I can tell you that many still call it UNL and they call the school in Omaha, UNO, even though they changed what they want to be called to just Omaha back a few years ago. 


When everyone calls you Johnny since you were born, then one day you decide you want to be called John or Johnathan, you can't be pissed when people still call you Johnny.

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 11,209
Reply with quote  #46 
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 3,264
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogsDad



As a native Nebraskan I can tell you that many still call it UNL and they call the school in Omaha, UNO, even though they changed what they want to be called to just Omaha back a few years ago. 


When everyone calls you Johnny since you were born, then one day you decide you want to be called John or Johnathan, you can't be pissed when people still call you Johnny.


I'll use your analogy for just a moment. As a baby, I'm not going to know my actual name until I'm old enough to understand. Once I'm told that my name (usually once I start going to school) is, in this case, Johnathan, I decide what I want to be called. If I tell you not to call me Johnny, but either John or Johnathan, and you continue to call me Johnny, then I'm certainly justified in being angry with you. Here's an example from my elementary school days, 4th or 5th grade I believe. I had a classmate who's nickname was Dickie. We had a substitute teacher one day who called him Dick. When the rest of the class started laughing at him, he corrected her very quickly and she called him Dickie the rest of the day. (True story)

From a more current and practical aspect: They are not called Memphis State any longer, they are called Memphis. Southwest Missouri State is called Missouri State now. It really should not be this difficult for people to understand. UL is shorter than ULL. If it hurts your (not necessarily yours but anyone in general) sensibilities to use UL, then use the correct abbreviation, LA. But after nearly 20 years of saying it's not and never has been ULL, it's very easy to correlate the use of ULL as an intentional act designed to aggravate, belittle and misidentify.

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,299
Reply with quote  #48 
Now, after a break from our sponsors.


Chester45

Registered:
Posts: 274
Reply with quote  #49 
Remind me why we care about Louisiana or whatever their name is in a big 12 thread?
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 10,854
Reply with quote  #50 
Wherever injustice is found the Cajun Super friends will be there to protect those that cannot protect them selves
__________________
Epstein didn’t kill Himself
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 1,070
Reply with quote  #51 
The whole thing is so weird.  No one outside of the state knows who UL refers to.  Literally, no one.  This is an intra-Louisiana fight that they continue to drag all of us into.  We don't care.  We know the school/athletics by a certain name.  The purpose of communication is to assist with understanding.  If I have a conversation with someone and neither of us knows the school in Lafayette as UL or LA, but we both know exactly who we mean by ULL, then why would we not use ULL?  I appreciate that they are trying to protect/defend something that matters to them, but we're not sponsors or media members so...  

This is like U of L chasing down every tweet that refers to their football stadium as Papa Johns Stadium instead of Cardinal Stadium to correct them.  Uh, OK.  It's always been Papa Johns to me, so I'll call it what I want, thanks.  You know which stadium I'm talking about, as does everyone else.  OTOH, how many Cardinals are there in college football?
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,958
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
The whole thing is so weird.  No one outside of the state knows who UL refers to.  Literally, no one.  This is an intra-Louisiana fight that they continue to drag all of us into.  We don't care.  We know the school/athletics by a certain name.  The purpose of communication is to assist with understanding.  If I have a conversation with someone and neither of us knows the school in Lafayette as UL or LA, but we both know exactly who we mean by ULL, then why would we not use ULL?  I appreciate that they are trying to protect/defend something that matters to them, but we're not sponsors or media members so...  

This is like U of L chasing down every tweet that refers to their football stadium as Papa Johns Stadium instead of Cardinal Stadium to correct them.  Uh, OK.  It's always been Papa Johns to me, so I'll call it what I want, thanks.  You know which stadium I'm talking about, as does everyone else.  OTOH, how many Cardinals are there in college football?


There are many— but only one Cardinal. 😉
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 1,070
Reply with quote  #53 
Ha!  Louisville's stadium is minus the 's' but the team name is Cardinals.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,958
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
Ha!  Louisville's stadium is minus the 's' but the team name is Cardinals.


Never been a Louisville fan (and I don’t say that as a slight or to be disrespectful), but even for me it will always be Papa Johns Stadium. It’s easy to remember, at least for me, and it’s unique to them.
DP

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester45
1. 

2. Baylor- most consistent team in conference after OU.




Good point !

Glen Moore and his hitting coach Mark Lumley have been there 19 years.   Pitching coach,  Britni Newman, has been there 16 years.    Tenure/continuity are important.

Baylor finished 1st in B12 hitting last year @.322, OU .321 but their pitching and fielding could not match OU. 

I am a Texas fan,  but Baylor is a tough out.
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 3,264
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH2
The whole thing is so weird.  No one outside of the state knows who UL refers to.  Literally, no one.  You can believe that if you want, but you are wrong.

This is an intra-Louisiana fight that they continue to drag all of us into.  We don't care.  If you don't care then get it right. The name of the team(s) is Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. The abbreviation is LA.

We know the school/athletics by a certain name. The purpose of communication is to assist with understanding.  The more you use the correct name, the more accustomed you will be to it's use.

If I have a conversation with someone and neither of us knows the school in Lafayette as UL or LA, but we both know exactly who we mean by ULL, then why would we not use ULL?  You have been a member on this board for over three years now. This is not your first exposure to this topic. If you are having a conversation with someone about the Ragin' Cajuns and you do not inform them that the correct name of the team is Louisiana, then you are augmenting the error by not sharing factual information with them.

I appreciate that they are trying to protect/defend something that matters to them, but we're not sponsors or media members so...  

This is like U of L chasing down every tweet that refers to their football stadium as Papa Johns Stadium instead of Cardinal Stadium to correct them.  Uh, OK.  It's always been Papa Johns to me, so I'll call it what I want, thanks.  You know which stadium I'm talking about, as does everyone else.  OTOH, how many Cardinals are there in college football?


I understand that many of you are irritated by my bringing this up as often as I do. It's probable that many of you use the incorrect name or abbreviation to irritate me. All of that is fine. I hope that you are irritated or even angered when I tell you that you are doing something wrong. I'm also ok with you trying to irritate me, I enjoy it when people think they are important enough to get under my skin. But understand this, the name of these teams is not a matter of opinion, it's a fact. The name is Louisiana, the abbreviation is LA. You can use whatever you want. I will continue to correct you when you are wrong. Have a blessed day.

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 2,923
Reply with quote  #57 
<< Baylor- most consistent team in conference after OU. >> (Chester45)

<< Good point !
Glen Moore and his hitting coach Mark Lumley have been there 19 years.   Pitching coach,  Britni Newman, has been there 16 years.    Tenure/continuity are important.
Baylor finished 1st in B12 hitting last year @.322, OU .321 but their pitching and fielding could not match OU.  
I am a Texas fan,  but Baylor is a tough out. >> (DP)


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


DP - You are right.  Chester does make a good point about Baylor's consistency - and your point about their tenure/continuity is also a good one.

But when you say that Baylor finished 1st in "hitting" last year (by squeaking ahead of Oklahoma in BA .322 to .321), I say that is misleading.


Team            BA    OBP    SLG    OPS    R/G    EBH/G
Oklahoma   .321   .424    .532   .956   6.66     2.66
Baylor        .322   .392    .449   .841   5.23     1.89

Oklahoma was 9th in the nation in BA,  2nd in OBP,  1st in SLG,  1st in OPS,  2nd in R/G. 
Baylor was 8th in BA,  24th in OBP,  52nd in SLG,  47th in R/G

Oklahoma was 8% better at OBP,  18% better at SLG,  14% better at OPS,  27% better at R/G  and 41% better at EBH.

So... which team was really better at "hitting"...?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


<< but their pitching and fielding could not match OU. >> (DP)


You are right.  Baylor's pitching and fielding could not match Oklahoma's.

Team            ERA     Fld%
Oklahoma     1.12    .986
Baylor          2.68    .670

Oklahoma's team ERA led the nation... as did their team fielding percentage.
Baylor's team ERA was 64th  and their team fielding percentage was 43rd.

But it wasn't just Baylor's pitching and fielding  that couldn't match Oklahoma's...
It was their hitting as well.
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 2,923
Reply with quote  #58 
Oklahoma led the nation in SLG, OPS, ERA, Fld%, W%  and Runs per 7 innings.  And they were second in OBP to Florida (.424 to .426).
They were second in R/G... but they played a lot of shortened games.


Btw... I noticed this when I was looking at the team stats.
Nicole Mendes led the Sooners with 5 triples last season. The team had a total of 7 triples.
Makes me wonder if anyone ever had a larger percentage of a team's triples.
Mendes had 71.4% of her team's triples.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 18,661
Reply with quote  #59 
Baylor was a -.114 in OPS

Not remotely a close call
DP

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
<


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






So... which team was really better at "hitting"...?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------





I am aware of the overall stats,  should have indicated batting average instead of hitting.

But my point was there was a reason Baylor received 1 vote (likely from Gasso) to finish 2nd in the B12.    It was not necessarily to throw shade at Mike White.  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.