Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 126
Reply with quote  #1 
It appears that the Big 12 is a two team race between Baylor and Oklahoma. Ok State continues to improve and Coach G has them on the ups. I think the conference will get three, maybe two teams in the tournament.  
__________________
 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,070
Reply with quote  #2 

I don't see Baylor in the same realm as Oklahoma.

I would say they are closer to Oklahoma State than to the Sooners.

I think one Bears win at home this weekend is a good job

softballoldie1

Registered:
Posts: 40
Reply with quote  #3 
Big 12 currently has 4 of its teams in the top 30 RPI rankings and you think they will only get 3, maybe 2, teams in the tournament? I predict they will get 5 teams to the tournament this year.
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #4 
I'd put Oklahoma on top, followed closely by Baylor.  After OK State at 3rd it's a pretty big drop to 4th.  I'd say Big 12 gets three in, possibly 4 if Texas finishes fourth.  My Cyclones can dash any possibility of that this weekend by taking another series off them.  
D22

Registered:
Posts: 51
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

I don't see Baylor in the same realm as Oklahoma.

I would say they are closer to Oklahoma State than to the Sooners.

I think one Bears win at home this weekend is a good job



I agree here.  Baylor doesn't seem as good as they were last year and the Big 12 overall this season looks average at best.    
I predict the Bears get swept this weekend with only one close game.  Coach Moore gets tossed on a weak obstruction call at home plate.  Upon exiting destroys a gatorade cooler.   TV Cam pans to Gasso with a grin bc she knows the umps are in her back pocket.   

__________________
[cool]
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,963
Reply with quote  #6 
<< TV Cam pans to Gasso with a grin bc she knows the umps are in her back pocket. >> (D22)

Yeah... the only way to explain Oklahoma's success - is to blame it on umpires being somehow bought or otherwise controlled by Gasso.

Jealousy runs DEEP among the non-Sooners.
AleDawg

Registered:
Posts: 575
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34sDad
I'd put Oklahoma on top, followed closely by Baylor.  After OK State at 3rd it's a pretty big drop to 4th.  I'd say Big 12 gets three in, possibly 4 if Texas finishes fourth.  My Cyclones can dash any possibility of that this weekend by taking another series off them.  



Texas is so high in the RPI because of SoS. They have played the #3 toughest schedule by OppWin%. This will drop considerably. For future OppWin% they are #33.


With still 9 games to play (of 25 left) against the 3 teams most see as finishing above them. The question is will they win enough to avoid dropping out of the top 35?

HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,963
Reply with quote  #8 
Since this is a Big 12 thread... 
Did you all see who was named the Player of the Week in the Big 12?
Alo somehow won it with her 3.200 Slg% 
and her 4.100 OPS.

Not to mention her four home runs, her five walks, her .800 BA, her .900 OBP, her 6 runs scored and her 10 RBI... in 3 games.
They did manage to get her out... ONCE.

Has any player ever had a more auspicious start to their conference career?
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballoldie1
Big 12 currently has 4 of its teams in the top 30 RPI rankings and you think they will only get 3, maybe 2, teams in the tournament? I predict they will get 5 teams to the tournament this year.


I'm curious who your five are?  Iowa State, Kansas or Texas Tech would need a couple of big wins vs Oklahoma and/or Baylor and I just don't see it.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, I just do't see it.  
softballoldie1

Registered:
Posts: 40
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34sDad


I'm curious who your five are?  Iowa State, Kansas or Texas Tech would need a couple of big wins vs Oklahoma and/or Baylor and I just don't see it.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, I just do't see it.  


I think it will either be iowa st or Texas tech, whichever wins that series. I do think both teams are capable of pulling off some upsets in conference. I also think the big 12 as a whole is better than most think. Oklahoma’s dominance makes the rest of the conference appear weaker than it really is. All 4 Big 12 teams that made the tournament last year competed in regional finals and of course Baylor and Oklahoma made the WCWS.
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 126
Reply with quote  #11 
Certainly Texas and Ok State are respectable teams who could make a run at the tournament but I don't see Iowa State, Texas Tech or Kansas doing much. For them to make the tournament they would have to schedule a much harder preseason schedule and have some success in it. That did not happen. 
__________________
 
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #12 
ISU's schedule was tough enough and they had some success.  Way too many bad losses though so I agree no way we make the tourney.  Find out in a couple days how good Texas is.  
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,349
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
Since this is a Big 12 thread... 
Did you all see who was named the Player of the Week in the Big 12?
Alo somehow won it with her 3.200 Slg% 
and her 4.100 OPS.

Not to mention her four home runs, her five walks, her .800 BA, her .900 OBP, her 6 runs scored and her 10 RBI... in 3 games.
They did manage to get her out... ONCE.

Has any player ever had a more auspicious start to their conference career?


Pardon me, Henry, but Jo Alo was just named National Player of the Week.
MOJOERASER

Registered:
Posts: 361
Reply with quote  #14 
We really need to add some more softball teams it’s embarrassing to have so little teams.
AustinSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 178
Reply with quote  #15 
The NCAA committee has given Texas bids because of school not the program.  They have to do a lot not to get in -- lose to some lower teams in conference.  It will probably happen, but if they can steal a couple of games from OU or BU, they could make it.
SoVerySleepy

Registered:
Posts: 425
Reply with quote  #16 
Texas Tech pitcher legit hopping all the way outside the lane to throw her pitches...eek.
__________________
Et tu Brute?
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 321
Reply with quote  #17 
Baylor looks awful right now, like a bad high school team. They have no pitching depth outside of Rodoni and you can tell the defense is not very confident behind anyone else.
nstinson

Registered:
Posts: 324
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySleepy
Texas Tech pitcher legit hopping all the way outside the lane to throw her pitches...eek.


On a scale of 1 to Barnhill, how bad is it?
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,739
Reply with quote  #19 
After wiping out Baylor in Waco, does Oklahoma go through the league without a loss? Who's got the best chance to pin a loss on them in league?
__________________
"We Americans have good teeth and don't eat spotted dick." -- Columnist Kurt Schlichter
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,349
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
After wiping out Baylor in Waco, does Oklahoma go through the league without a loss? Who's got the best chance to pin a loss on them in league?


We can't afford to sweep too many more series. RPI will drop completely off the table.
softballoldie1

Registered:
Posts: 40
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahOKU
After wiping out Baylor in Waco, does Oklahoma go through the league without a loss? Who's got the best chance to pin a loss on them in league?


I don’t think the chances are good for any big 12 team to beat OK, but just like the chances weren’t good for Boston U to beat OK, you never know when OK might beat themselves with a down game. Maybe a game in miserable conditions trips them up?
MOJOERASER

Registered:
Posts: 361
Reply with quote  #22 
At this point no team is going to beat OU before the finals.
RPI_Guy

Registered:
Posts: 46
Reply with quote  #23 
Yes, except the same was being said of Florida 2 years ago in their big to Three Peat. That is why they play the game.
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,769
Reply with quote  #24 
Originally Posted by 34sDad


I'm curious who your five are?  Iowa State, Kansas or Texas Tech would need a couple of big wins vs Oklahoma and/or Baylor and I just don't see it.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, I just do't see it.  


Quote:
Originally Posted by softballoldie1
I think it will either be iowa st or Texas tech, whichever wins that series. I do think both teams are capable of pulling off some upsets in conference. I also think the big 12 as a whole is better than most think. Oklahoma’s dominance makes the rest of the conference appear weaker than it really is. All 4 Big 12 teams that made the tournament last year competed in regional finals and of course Baylor and Oklahoma made the WCWS.


Iowa State was a "highly unlikely" even before the Texas sweep. Texas Tech added another "signature win" with the victory over Oklahoma State (the series loss is not a factor), but they need Oregon State and Hofstra to remain in the top 25 of the rpi (good luck with that). If the Red Raiders can take one each from Baylor and Texas and sweep the rest, they have a pretty good chance of getting an at large.

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,769
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJOERASER
We really need to add some more softball teams it’s embarrassing to have so little teams.


Cajuns will be glad to join tomorrow. [biggrin]

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,769
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleDawg



Texas is so high in the RPI because of SoS. They have played the #3 toughest schedule by OppWin%. This will drop considerably. For future OppWin% they are #33.


With still 9 games to play (of 25 left) against the 3 teams most see as finishing above them. The question is will they win enough to avoid dropping out of the top 35?



Through last week's rpi, #4 overall SOS, #6 non-conference. The rest of the non-conference schedule should help build the WP (yes, it's weak), they just need to win enough conference games to finish at least 4th (they likely will). Texas is probably not in any danger of not getting an at large bid.

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 126
Reply with quote  #27 
Not a pretty weekend for the Big 12. At this point they will be lucky to get three teams in the tournament. Sooners rolling, Baylor and OSU are ok. TT , KS and IS are terrible.  
__________________
 
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballoldie1
I don’t think the chances are good for any big 12 team to beat OK, but just like the chances weren’t good for Boston U to beat OK, you never know when OK might beat themselves with a down game. Maybe a game in miserable conditions trips them up?


Highs in Ames next weekend will be in the 30's with possible rain and snow.  So you're sayin there's a chance   😉
34sDad

Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor
Not a pretty weekend for the Big 12. At this point they will be lucky to get three teams in the tournament. Sooners rolling, Baylor and OSU are ok. TT , KS and IS are terrible.  


Unfortunately I've gotta agree.  ISU really stunk it up.  
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,349
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34sDad


Unfortunately I've gotta agree.  ISU really stunk it up.  


The Cyclones looked pretty good a week ago when they overcame a 4-0 deficit late in the game and went on to beat OSU in 12 innings.

But, yes I agree with your above statement.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.