Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 3 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
Jdf1316

Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #61 
Population and number of kids playing in CA.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,884
Reply with quote  #62 
If we’re going to look at H.S. stats, Cali is generally the best place to look. Or, it used to be, but I’m not really sure about it as it stands right now. Some of the best talent lies there, and when you think about good matchups you’ll see plenty of D1 kids face off on any given weekday there. Georgia (specifically north Georgia) has developed much in the same way, but the difference here is you don’t see the best of the best play one another till the Elite Eight hits Columbus (gross location, but whatever). Once it gets there though... Take your pick. D1 kids a plenty!
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 370
Reply with quote  #63 
Good start with wins vs. Tenn. St. and WKU.  McKayla with a shutout and Kendall Veach with 3 dingers in a 11-4 and 8-0 (5 inn)start down in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.   I'll take the hits for sure.   
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #64 
25 hits in two games, pretty good against any level of competition.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 370
Reply with quote  #65 
Rough, rough day.   Went from the 2nd inning game 1 until the 6th of game 2 without a run.  Might need to figure out a lineup change as there are plenty of folks putting the ball in play and getting hits, but not getting the key hits to drive them home.  Both opponents that beat us had shutouts vs. USA this weekend, so it's not like we saw bad pitching.  McCrackin with HR's 2 and 3 and Bree Fornis went yard as well in game 1.  Key late hits by 3B gave Missouri State  (4-3) and La Tech (2-1) wins.  Congrats to them.  McKayla was great but obviously fatigued late as La Tech got just 2 hits the first 5-2/3 innings.
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 906
Reply with quote  #66 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwstock
Rough, rough day.   Went from the 2nd inning game 1 until the 6th of game 2 without a run.  Might need to figure out a lineup change as there are plenty of folks putting the ball in play and getting hits, but not getting the key hits to drive them home.  Both opponents that beat us had shutouts vs. USA this weekend, so it's not like we saw bad pitching.  McCrackin with HR's 2 and 3 and Bree Fornis went yard as well in game 1.  Key late hits by 3B gave Missouri State  (4-3) and La Tech (2-1) wins.  Congrats to them.  McKayla was great but obviously fatigued late as La Tech got just 2 hits the first 5-2/3 innings.


I don’t think fatigue was Makayla’s issue. She throws over 90% drop and mixes in a change. It sounds like LaTech figured her out in the 6th and 7th. Makayla is great, but there is no one to relieve her if she gets figured out. If this were Makayla’s freshman year, she would’ve been relieved by someone with a totally different repertoire (like lefty Rachael Walters) and would’ve had more run support. That’s just where we’re at now.

__________________
War Eagle!
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #67 
I've noticed the Weekleys at UT seem fond of the technique of changing pitchers in mid-game, then returning to the original hurler late in the game.  Is this a viable tactic?  I haven't seen it practiced that much.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 370
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4AU


I don’t think fatigue was Makayla’s issue. She throws over 90% drop and mixes in a change. It sounds like LaTech figured her out in the 6th and 7th. Makayla is great, but there is no one to relieve her if she gets figured out. If this were Makayla’s freshman year, she would’ve been relieved by someone with a totally different repertoire (like lefty Rachael Walters) and would’ve had more run support. That’s just where we’re at now.


 You may be correct.  We certainly have pitchers with varying styles in the bullpen if we want to go that route.   Run support is without a doubt the best way to change things up.  Looks like a 3-2 start with Auburn leading FAMU 7-2 in the 5th right now.
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #69 
The game with FAMU finished 10-2 (6) as Perry got her first dinger in top 6.  Handley came in and pitched the 6th, getting two Ks.

Certainly a shot to the mouth to lose two games here, but there were some bright spots.  We played some games away from home, and every healthy player saw the field.  Hitting looked improved over last year with 11 homers in 5 games by 6 different players.
Tigers334

Registered:
Posts: 397
Reply with quote  #70 
Horrific start to the season. We continue to have 0 offensive philosophy. Our best hitters go up looking to hit homeruns and it may work against teams like FAMU, but if we cannot piece together hits, this will be a nightmare of a season.

Also a very disappointing weekend from Ashley. Pitched against two average teams and gave up 3.5 runs a game. We will lose every single Saturday SEC game if we cannot find a second pitcher. Really need to win out until we head out West to get things back on track.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,398
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers334
Horrific start to the season. We continue to have 0 offensive philosophy. Our best hitters go up looking to hit homeruns and it may work against teams like FAMU, but if we cannot piece together hits, this will be a nightmare of a season.

Also a very disappointing weekend from Ashley. Pitched against two average teams and gave up 3.5 runs a game. We will lose every single Saturday SEC game if we cannot find a second pitcher. Really need to win out until we head out West to get things back on track.


What about Harris?
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 906
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers334
Horrific start to the season. We continue to have 0 offensive philosophy. Our best hitters go up looking to hit homeruns and it may work against teams like FAMU, but if we cannot piece together hits, this will be a nightmare of a season.

Also a very disappointing weekend from Ashley. Pitched against two average teams and gave up 3.5 runs a game. We will lose every single Saturday SEC game if we cannot find a second pitcher. Really need to win out until we head out West to get things back on track.


Honestly, Auburn may need to go back to a strategy that hasn´t been used in a long time... Pitch the ace in game 2 in hopes of a better match up. This will be something to watch as the competition gets tougher. The Fullerton weekend and how we choose to use Makayla will be interesting.  

__________________
War Eagle!
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #73 
Harris pitched 1-2 innings against TN State and 5 innings today v. FAMU, gave up 3 runs total, I think.  Swindle pitched 6 scoreless innings v. Mo State, but they scored 4 in the 2d inning.  Might be enlightening to know exactly what happened there.  Postgame, Dean kept talking about 4 ground balls to the second base side, implying that either McCrackin or Perry was improperly positioned or something.

We've been spoiled by having Carlson and Martin the past three years.  Neither Swindle nor Harris is going to rise to that level.  Offense has to provide more run support.  I think I see improvement there, but agree with 334 that certain players want to swing for the fences all the time.  Dean's job to bring that under control.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 630
Reply with quote  #74 
Saw on Twitter that Kara Bilodeau got her first start for FSU and combined with Herzog to throw a no-hitter.  Dean screwed the pooch by not getting her more innings last season...
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 370
Reply with quote  #75 
Good start to the weekend tournament in Auburn before heading of to CA.  Lexie Handley started game 1 and immediately was throwing 71-73 with some control before losing it a bit with 2 walks in the 3rd vs. Villanova.  8-0, 5 inning victory and some good swings.  Swindle was solid in relief and continues to build both velocity and control into her pitching.

Game 2 was vs. NDSU, which has some solid pitching.   McKayla was McKayla and Auburn wins 4-1.  Brittany Maresette is putting some good swings on the ball and some very high quality AB's from the "regulars"...Rivera, Snow the elder and the younger as well as McCrackin.  

Also of note was a 4 person umpiring crew today.  Not sure if that's in response to the BS calls last weekend, particularly in the Texas Tech game or if it was planned previously.  It was almost comical to see all 4 get together and walk as a "posse" over to the Villanova coach to overturn a call.  I guess they have two umpires now who can shield a coach from moving towards an offending umpire in that situation.  Strength in numbers....vs. strength in just getting the call right to begin with.  lol.
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 1,604
Reply with quote  #76 
Coach Dean likes to throw down, so they had 4 umps at Jane B. Moore field for backup.....[rofl]
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #77 
I missed most of the 'Nova game, but the overturned call against NDSU looked as you described.  Snow caught the liner at third and fired to second to double off the runner there, very close play.  Original call was safe; replay showed she was out, but I'm wondering what the posse told the NDSU coach exactly.

Impressed with NDSU generally and their frosh pitcher especially.  We haven't had a freshman that good since Makayla was a freshman (2016).  They supposedly have an ace they'll throw against us tomorrow.  The gal in left (Comacho?) made a couple nice plays for them.

The frosh had no answer for Rivera, though; she drove in 3 of our runs with two singles and a dinger.  Looking like the Rivera of 2017.
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 906
Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUWhiskey
I missed most of the 'Nova game, but the overturned call against NDSU looked as you described.  Snow caught the liner at third and fired to second to double off the runner there, very close play.  Original call was safe; replay showed she was out, but I'm wondering what the posse told the NDSU coach exactly.

Impressed with NDSU generally and their frosh pitcher especially.  We haven't had a freshman that good since Makayla was a freshman (2016).  They supposedly have an ace they'll throw against us tomorrow.  The gal in left (Comacho?) made a couple nice plays for them.

The frosh had no answer for Rivera, though; she drove in 3 of our runs with two singles and a dinger.  Looking like the Rivera of 2017.


The ace beat Troy in the night game. She will be tough on Saturday. Troy also has 2 very strong pitchers.

__________________
War Eagle!
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 1,604
Reply with quote  #79 
The Kraken will be on WatchESPN today at 3pm EST and 5:30pm EST.... 
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 370
Reply with quote  #80 
More good stuff at the Plainsman Invitation on Saturday.  Chardonnay Harris strikes out 14 v. E. Illinois and showed good control and a very effective rise ball as Auburn won 6-0.  Lexie Handley fought back after an early bit of trouble to lead Auburn to a 10-2 run-rule victory in 5 over NDSU and I thought we adjusted well to their pitching, using the whole field.   One of the biggest improvements from last season is pitch selection.  It's making for better AB's and putting more pressure on our opponents to get us out.  Fewer strikeouts, more HR's and better inning to inning consistency so far.  Villanova and Troy tomorrow before heading to Fullerton and the Judi Garman Classic.
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #81 
Very encouraging to see both Handley and Harris get CGs.  Also pleasantly surprised by the apparent hitting improvement.  I didn't think Dean did much last year, but gotta give a nod in his direction for what I've seen so far this year.  Despite the bad loss to Mo. State, I think this may be a better team than last year. 
supernatural

Registered:
Posts: 551
Reply with quote  #82 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUWhiskey
Very encouraging to see both Handley and Harris get CGs.  Also pleasantly surprised by the apparent hitting improvement.  I didn't think Dean did much last year, but gotta give a nod in his direction for what I've seen so far this year.  Despite the bad loss to Mo. State, I think this may be a better team than last year. 

Let's not get carried away. Our team ERA is over 50% higher than last year's non-conference ERA. Our OPS has increased by [only] 12%, mostly from SLG%. And if I were a betting man I would put money on a fair bit of regression in our hitting (and not just because of the upcoming schedule, not that you can easily factor that out).
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 906
Reply with quote  #83 
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernatural

Let's not get carried away. Our team ERA is over 50% higher than last year's non-conference ERA. Our OPS has increased by [only] 12%, mostly from SLG%. And if I were a betting man I would put money on a fair bit of regression in our hitting (and not just because of the upcoming schedule, not that you can easily factor that out).


Losing Carlson will do that to a staff ERA. I’m glad he’s giving the ball to all 4 in the nonconference slate, which he didn’t do last year. This weekend has looked encouraging on both sides of the ball. We’ll really find out in Fullerton.

__________________
War Eagle!
supernatural

Registered:
Posts: 551
Reply with quote  #84 
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4AU


Losing Carlson will do that to a staff ERA. I’m glad he’s giving the ball to all 4 in the nonconference slate, which he didn’t do last year. This weekend has looked encouraging on both sides of the ball. We’ll really find out in Fullerton.

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to lose a lights out pitcher, your starting CF and catcher, a decent contributor (KK Crocker), add basically no one and improve.

CMD had 5 pitchers last year and he only really short changed Bilodeau (and her 0 ERA). It was with the hitters that he did a pretty poor job giving people a chance.
AUSBFAN

Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #85 
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernatural

Let's not get carried away. Our team ERA is over 50% higher than last year's non-conference ERA. Our OPS has increased by [only] 12%, mostly from SLG%. And if I were a betting man I would put money on a fair bit of regression in our hitting (and not just because of the upcoming schedule, not that you can easily factor that out).


Frequent visitor but first post. Big fan of the team but I’m no expert by any means. Just curious.... what are you seeing that would lead you to not only believe but bet money on a “fair bit of regression” in the hitting? I would understand if you thought this might be due to a more challenging schedule or once starting conference play but you specifically ruled that out. I’ve been to all of the games so far and from what I’ve seen, the offense is much improved. Much better discipline at the plate, productive outs, oppo field hitting, and more power. And yesterday, only 1 strikeout in 2 games. Team chemistry is also very good. I’ve been very pleased with what I’ve seen so far. What am I missing?
supernatural

Registered:
Posts: 551
Reply with quote  #86 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBFAN


Frequent visitor but first post. Big fan of the team but I’m no expert by any means. Just curious.... what are you seeing that would lead you to not only believe but bet money on a “fair bit of regression” in the hitting? I would understand if you thought this might be due to a more challenging schedule or once starting conference play but you specifically ruled that out. I’ve been to all of the games so far and from what I’ve seen, the offense is much improved. Much better discipline at the plate, productive outs, oppo field hitting, and more power. And yesterday, only 1 strikeout in 2 games. Team chemistry is also very good. I’ve been very pleased with what I’ve seen so far. What am I missing?

In my experience, players don't (en masse) suddenly substantially improve in the middle of their college careers. We lost 3 solid contributors on offense and added 2 rookies who weren't highly ranked (plus Tate Moseley who is injured, and probably moderately highly ranked). So on paper I would think that a team like that would be lucky to stay the same offensively.

The human brain isn't that good at deciphering improvements between 2 series of events one year apart, which is why stats can help. Our walks are actually down this year, which doesn't disprove "better discipline" but makes it fairly unlikely that it's substantially better depending on your definition. Strikeouts are about the same. OBP is near identical, 2bs and 3bs are down very slightly. So the main difference is the HRs, which have almost doubled. It could be an actual "skill" improvement in hitting HRs, or luck, or the wind. It's interesting to note that our HRs given up have almost doubled as well.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 370
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernatural

In my experience, players don't (en masse) suddenly substantially improve in the middle of their college careers. We lost 3 solid contributors on offense and added 2 rookies who weren't highly ranked (plus Tate Moseley who is injured, and probably moderately highly ranked). So on paper I would think that a team like that would be lucky to stay the same offensively.

The human brain isn't that good at deciphering improvements between 2 series of events one year apart, which is why stats can help. Our walks are actually down this year, which doesn't disprove "better discipline" but makes it fairly unlikely that it's substantially better depending on your definition. Strikeouts are about the same. OBP is near identical, 2bs and 3bs are down very slightly. So the main difference is the HRs, which have almost doubled. It could be an actual "skill" improvement in hitting HRs, or luck, or the wind. It's interesting to note that our HRs given up have almost doubled as well.


I certainly haven't seen enough to form an opinion about the entire season, but what I have seen is a lot less swinging at pitches they aren't going to do anything with and that's resulted in a better AB's with good contact, something that they've been focusing on.   Some other factors that might be contributing to the better AB's include just having more time with the hitting instructor and also getting to know each player that much better over time without the initial "pressure" to quickly adapt like they did last season.  Having that full offseason to develop and communicate what changes to make and work on swings and strength building workouts can create a connection to the 2 year "disconnect" you describe.  But I agree with your point that we'll learn more as the quality of pitching increases.  What can they adjust to?  As long as a I continue to see fewer wasted AB's swinging at bad pitches and taking good ones to fall behind in counts, I'll have some optimism about where our hitting is going as compared to last year...and the year before that.
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 906
Reply with quote  #88 
Good points, gtwstock. It looks like the team is buying into Mickey and his style. Everyone looks more comfortable this year.
__________________
War Eagle!
supernatural

Registered:
Posts: 551
Reply with quote  #89 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwstock


I certainly haven't seen enough to form an opinion about the entire season, but what I have seen is a lot less swinging at pitches they aren't going to do anything with and that's resulted in a better AB's with good contact, something that they've been focusing on.   Some other factors that might be contributing to the better AB's include just having more time with the hitting instructor and also getting to know each player that much better over time without the initial "pressure" to quickly adapt like they did last season.  Having that full offseason to develop and communicate what changes to make and work on swings and strength building workouts can create a connection to the 2 year "disconnect" you describe.  But I agree with your point that we'll learn more as the quality of pitching increases.  What can they adjust to?  As long as a I continue to see fewer wasted AB's swinging at bad pitches and taking good ones to fall behind in counts, I'll have some optimism about where our hitting is going as compared to last year...and the year before that.

They aren't chasing clear balls in the games I've watched which is good. I'm not sure they were doing that last year either though when facing fairly easy pitching (like I said, strikeouts are basically the same).

In the games I've watched (I seem to miss a lot of the high HR games), the contact hasn't been spectacular. I just watched the 6-0 win over Eastern Illinois and counted 4 great ABs over 6 innings (and those 4 ABs would have resulted in 0-3 plus a BB against an SEC team). Only 2 balls reached or went over the fence in our 8-0 win against Villanova, one of which was a pretty mediocre ground ball. [Watching the 2nd NDSU game now and 4 of our first 7 batters have had great ABs which is excellent.]
TaacAsunSunblt

Registered:
Posts: 219
Reply with quote  #90 
I wish the Troy pitcher could take back that one pitch to Perry!  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.