Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Tigers334

Registered:
Posts: 401
Reply with quote  #31 
I have actually heard from people within the program that the team looks a lot better than they did last year. I have my concerns, but we shall see. Have heard Handley and Martin are both hitting close to 70. The question with Handley is if that 70 ends up in the catcher’s mit or in the press box.
steelau

Registered:
Posts: 32
Reply with quote  #32 
Regarding Crocker's leaving, I interpreted that (based mostly on the timing) as a reaction to finding out that she wasn't going to be the starter in left.  Just my guess, she was tired of putting in all the time and not playing every day. 

So who will be the starter in left field, if KK found out she was not going to be the starter...
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 244
Reply with quote  #33 
My guess would be 1.  Greenwood   2.  Maresette
hiker42

Registered:
Posts: 22
Reply with quote  #34 
"So who will be the starter in left field, if KK found out she was not going to be the starter"  
I should be able to give a 100% correct answer in about 7 days.  I presume Greenwood is back post shoulder surgery.  Maresette and Fornis are OF's.  Two freshman Godwin and Mosley are also OF's.  I suspect Godwin will be getting most of her practice at catcher due to the need for back up there since Tissier is now out for the season.

"Have heard Handley and Martin are both hitting close to 70. The question with Handley is if that 70 ends up in the catcher’s mit or in the press box."  Saw them in fall ball.  Handley did have some speed but problems with location.  Do not recall that she actually threw anything over the catchers head though.  She has been out of the sport for a year so hopefully there will be steady improvement.  Swindle also looked like she had more power as well as good ball movement.  

PH2

Registered:
Posts: 1,061
Reply with quote  #35 
I don't know anything about Auburn but I can give a 100% correct answer in about 7 days as well.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 372
Reply with quote  #36 
Handley has good velocity.  I didn't think it approached 70.  She was definitely mid 60's at times though when I saw her and was able to catch the gun numbers.   She doesn't have great location at this point, but it's good enough most of the time.  I thought both the freshmen catchers needed to be better to handle everything she throws, Godwin struggled the most....but Aspyn Godwin will be somewhere in the lineup.   She also played in LF with a bit of a struggle there.  But was very good at the plate.  She has some pop for sure.  I hope the knee is ready.   As for KK, I haven't spoken specifically to anyone that would know for sure, but I'm sure it's about playing time.   Greenwood, Podany (both had excellent catches today in the OF), Rivera and Maresette will probably handle all the OF needs and KK hasn't been able to do enough against higher level competition to push McDowell out of the backup slot at 2B/SS and Veach and Tannon Snow can handle 3B with Veach also catching most of the time....so I'm not sure what role she would fill unless Veach has to catch and 2 of the infield are out simultaneously.  It's a shame.  I like her and she doesn't strike out much, but she also doesn't provide a lot of offense (not only her unfortunately).   I thought Taylon Snow looked good on both offense and defense and Veach had a HR vs. Harris today.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 1,337
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers334
I have actually heard from people within the program that the team looks a lot better than they did last year. I have my concerns, but we shall see. Have heard Handley and Martin are both hitting close to 70. The question with Handley is if that 70 ends up in the catcher’s mit or in the press box.


I don't think Handley is close to 70 but has been consistent mid 60's. She will need to tighten up her pitch location
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 921
Reply with quote  #38 

__________________
War Eagle!
steelau

Registered:
Posts: 32
Reply with quote  #39 
I don't think Handley is close to 70 but has been consistent mid 60's. She will need to tighten up her pitch location

While Coach Dean just said she has been consistently throwing around 70-72, so I don't know where you got your info. I don't expect this coach was fabricating...
UT6

Registered:
Posts: 240
Reply with quote  #40 
If there's one thing I would have a lot of faith in Coach Dean to do, it would be to develop pitchers really well. With his previous success in the pros and at JMU, I think pitching would be an area for optimism for the upcoming season(s)
__________________
Swing hard in case you hit it
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 662
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT6
If there's one thing I would have a lot of faith in Coach Dean to do, it would be to develop pitchers really well. With his previous success in the pros and at JMU, I think pitching would be an area for optimism for the upcoming season(s)


While a good pitching coach can make a pitcher better, most great pitchers are found on the recruiting trail, not developed from average by a college coach...
Jdf1316

Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #42 
Pretty broad stroke. I think Dean’s got a proven record of developing talent in the circle.
UT6

Registered:
Posts: 240
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


While a good pitching coach can make a pitcher better, most great pitchers are found on the recruiting trail, not developed from average by a college coach...


Megan Good was barely considering playing softball in college, he turned her into a top 5 pitcher in the country, and Jailyn Ford he made an all-american before her. Not to mention he was Jennie Finch's pitching coach at one point

__________________
Swing hard in case you hit it
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,444
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT6


Megan Good was barely considering playing softball in college, he turned her into a top 5 pitcher in the country, and Jailyn Ford he made an all-american before her. Not to mention he was Jennie Finch's pitching coach at one point


Good wasn't some no-name when she arrived at JMU. Dean deserves due credit no doubt but, if Good had gone to Florida, she's probably working on her 3rd NC right now. She's 6ft+ tall and was throwing gas upon arrival. Hard to go wrong with those genes. 

Dean's issue @ Auburn is for the first time he doesn't have a true shut down pitcher who can throw 70. With Good & Ford @ JMU, he had 2 shut down pitchers who were also phenomenal hitters. 


Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 662
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT6


Megan Good was barely considering playing softball in college, he turned her into a top 5 pitcher in the country, and Jailyn Ford he made an all-american before her. Not to mention he was Jennie Finch's pitching coach at one point


Megan Good was a damn good pitcher in HS, but did not play for a marquee TB team, so she flew under the radar of a lot of coaches.  She almost decided to give up softball and just become a regular student, but decided to go to JMU and give it a shot.  Not saying Dean did not help her while she was at JMU, but she was pretty damn good coming in...
Jdf1316

Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #46 
HS softball in Virginia? With the exception of California, any HS stats have to be taken with a grain of salt.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,292
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


Megan Good was a damn good pitcher in HS, but did not play for a marquee TB team, so she flew under the radar of a lot of coaches.  She almost decided to give up softball and just become a regular student, but decided to go to JMU and give it a shot.  Not saying Dean did not help her while she was at JMU, but she was pretty damn good coming in...


She was a pretty good volleyball player too. Also I vaguely remember someone saying on here she was deciding whether to pursue Vball instead.
UGASBFan

Registered:
Posts: 2,938
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdf1316
HS softball in Virginia? With the exception of California, any HS stats have to be taken with a grain of salt.


Even some Cali stats don’t tell the full story, IMO.
Jdf1316

Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASBFan


Even some Cali stats don’t tell the full story, IMO.


I don’t disagree with that.
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 921
Reply with quote  #50 
I love knowing that Dean is the one coaching the pitchers for Auburn.

Auburn’s pitching was stellar last year. The problem is that they aren’t going to throw shutouts in SEC play. Even a Hoover/Walljasper type of staff (for example) needs run support.

I certainly feel that the pitching will be there for Auburn this year. Consistent run support is the bigger problem in my opinion.

__________________
War Eagle!
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,444
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdf1316
HS softball in Virginia? With the exception of California, any HS stats have to be taken with a grain of salt.


Not sure what makes CA so special. High School stats are great for the kids...while they're in High School. But all that hype expires at graduation. Cause after that nobody cares. And why you picking on VA? 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,444
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


Megan Good was a damn good pitcher in HS, but did not play for a marquee TB team, so she flew under the radar of a lot of coaches.  She almost decided to give up softball and just become a regular student, but decided to go to JMU and give it a shot.  Not saying Dean did not help her while she was at JMU, but she was pretty damn good coming in...


She played for the Beverly Bandits. 

And yes, she was a stud who I think just wanted to stay close to home. 
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 1,316
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT6


Megan Good was barely considering playing softball in college, he turned her into a top 5 pitcher in the country, and Jailyn Ford he made an all-american before her. Not to mention he was Jennie Finch's pitching coach at one point


As far as being “Jennie Finch’s pitching coach”, are you referring to his stint coaching with the Bandits when she was playing for them in the NPF? Taking nothing away from Dean, but at that point, Finch had already finished college and won a gold medal or so, no? I’m not sure how quick i would be to credit someone with the development of a pitcher who was already a gold medalist (if that is what your referring to) by the time they crossed paths. Again, no offense to Dean.
UT6

Registered:
Posts: 240
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ


As far as being “Jennie Finch’s pitching coach”, are you referring to his stint coaching with the Bandits when she was playing for them in the NPF? Taking nothing away from Dean, but at that point, Finch had already finished college and won a gold medal or so, no? I’m not sure how quick i would be to credit someone with the development of a pitcher who was already a gold medalist (if that is what your referring to) by the time they crossed paths. Again, no offense to Dean.


Of course I wasn't implying that he developed Jennie Finch, but that doesn't mean he didn't help at all or even learn from working with her, right?

__________________
Swing hard in case you hit it
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 1,659
Reply with quote  #55 

Two Florida girls, Podany and McCrackin…First class players...[smile]

all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 921
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin22

Two Florida girls, Podany and McCrackin…First class players...[smile]



First class players all the way :)

__________________
War Eagle!
KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 445
Reply with quote  #57 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


She played for the Beverly Bandits. 

And yes, she was a stud who I think just wanted to stay close to home. 


Coach Dean had her put on the Bandits, she played 2 or maybe 3 tournaments for the Bandits her senior year, AFTER she had signed her NOI.  I am sure Dean could have got her on the Bandits sooner if he would have choose to. 

KYBandit

Registered:
Posts: 445
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


Megan Good was a damn good pitcher in HS, but did not play for a marquee TB team, so she flew under the radar of a lot of coaches.  She almost decided to give up softball and just become a regular student, but decided to go to JMU and give it a shot.  Not saying Dean did not help her while she was at JMU, but she was pretty damn good coming in...


She never was just going to be a regular student.  If JMU volleyball or some other D1 volleyball school would have offered her a scholarship then she may have not played softball.  But being a regular student wasn't part of that process. 

Talking to Good's parents they give Dean a ton of credit for her success and credit him for making her what she is today.  Living minutes from campus she was able to go to campus plenty and work with Dean prior to her arriving.  

I think it's fair to give Dean a lot of credit for Good, but I think a lot of coaches would love to have a raw talent like Good.  Having Ford and Good at the same time at JMU was something special for sure.
Jdf1316

Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Not sure what makes CA so special. High School stats are great for the kids...while they're in High School. But all that hype expires at graduation. Cause after that nobody cares. And why you picking on VA? 


Not picking on Va at all.  I question HS stats in GA where my daughter played HS softball.  I agree 100%, nobody cares about HS stats after HS anyway.  I was alluding to that in my post.


outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,444
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdf1316


Not picking on Va at all.  I question HS stats in GA where my daughter played HS softball.  I agree 100%, nobody cares about HS stats after HS anyway.  I was alluding to that in my post.


All good. But again, why do you consider CA any different? 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.